R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Northwest

02-22-2021, 03:57 PM   #1
VeloDee
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 DCT AW/SO

Lightbulb Looking for F8x experienced shops in Portland

Hi Folks,

I have a 2016 F80 as my DD/only car, no track ambitions, and need some of your experience. Recently sold off my 2007 328 wagon.

1. I need to haul my road & gravel bikes all over OR/WA for various cycling events. I'd like a stealth hitch installed for a Kuat Sherpa type of bike rack, and cannot DIY. Can you recommend an installer? I have a heated garage and zero body-skills.

2. I have several spots of curb rash on 437M silver wheels that need TLC. Can you recommend your favorite wheel repair shop?

3. Considering getting the crank hub retrofit done at Matrix Integrated west side. Any competing recommendations?

Thanks in advance, for your guidance.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2021, 05:18 PM   #2
icegrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Rhom innovations is one of my favorites. I'll probably try ar motor sports in the future.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 09:56 AM   #3
TouringM3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 F80 6MT / '16 F31

Garage List
For wheel repair, i took mine to "Wheel Doctor" over off Yeon in NW Industrial and they did a great job.

For hitch install, there's actually a specific machine shop that does hitches in close-in Portland on SE 7th & Salmon.

For everything BMW maintenance & Performance go to Ryan Haines at Dynasport – I cannot possibly recommend a person or a shop any more than theirs.

~David

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloDee View Post
Hi Folks,

I have a 2016 F80 as my DD/only car, no track ambitions, and need some of your experience. Recently sold off my 2007 328 wagon.

1. I need to haul my road & gravel bikes all over OR/WA for various cycling events. I'd like a stealth hitch installed for a Kuat Sherpa type of bike rack, and cannot DIY. Can you recommend an installer? I have a heated garage and zero body-skills.

2. I have several spots of curb rash on 437M silver wheels that need TLC. Can you recommend your favorite wheel repair shop?

3. Considering getting the crank hub retrofit done at Matrix Integrated west side. Any competing recommendations?

Instagram: @TouringM3
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 09:59 AM   #4
VeloDee
United_States
Rep

Thank you both, very helpful! I ordered the stealth hitch from etrailer.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2021, 10:32 AM   #5
gori
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 ZCP Fully Loaded, MPE

Quote:
Hi Folks,

I swung by Sameday Auto Scratch & Dent Repair over off of TV hwy from a recommendation from Kuni BMW where I got my maintenance done while under warranty.

the individual I worked with was awesome! provided a detailed quote and did a free touchup on some minor chips for me. it doesn't look new but is significantly better than the black beneath the mineral white paint.

I've been meaning to go by Skip's WheelWerks. have heard great thing from them but never used em. the individual is very honest and told me what other shops quoted is work by hand and not a machine program. and that I wouldn't be happy with the results. he was honest in saying he couldn't do it right and so wouldn't do it at all but had other options.

just thought I'd share. now that I'm out of warranty, I'll be looking 6a shop as well for routine maintenance and work as well.

let us know how your work goes if you don't mind
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 01:15 PM   #6
VeloDee
United_States
Rep

Updates from PDX area experiences...

Hi Folks - A couple of quick reviews of work done on my 2016 AW F80 daily driver and road/gravel bike hauler.

-- Brock Auto in Beaverton installed my stealth-hitch for very reasonable 2 hrs of labor. The white Kuat rack looks great off the back of the car. It's a unique and PNW relevant look for an M3 ;-)

-- Mo at the Wheel Doctor in NW Portland took in my beat up 437M wheels and gave me back wheels that look factory fresh (I asked for Ferric Grey with a bit more depth). Powder coated, CNC machined, clear coated, fresh ///M stickers applied, balanced! They also detailed the car at a nice discount, for that new car feeling.

(NSFW alert - the curbed / from picture below may be disturbing to some)

10/10 will return, if I ever need more wheel work.

My next step is to contact DynaSport to see if they have time to go under the hood.

I'm also exploring a NBTEvo I4 to I6 upgrade, on top of existing my BimmerTech MMI camera add-on. If anyone here has that experience, I'd love to hear from you.

Cheers!
Attached Images

Last edited by VeloDee; 04-07-2021 at 04:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 04:50 PM   #7
f80range
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
I'm also exploring a NBTEvo I4 to I6 upgrade, on top of existing my BimmerTech MMI camera add-on. If anyone here has that experience, I'd love to hear from you.
I've been trying to do that same thing. If you are looking to upgrade your ID4 to ID6 I highly recommend Rob Hebb at easybimmercoding. If you have a 2016+ car it's just a software upgrade via remote and it's only 300 bucks and includes apple CarPlay for life (Apple CarPlay is a 300 dollar options from factory). I went this route because it is 100% OEM, BimmerTech is nice but if I'm spending close to 1000+ bucks it should be as OEM as possible. Maybe they changed their implementation since the last time I check but yeah I would go with Rob, if you're at 2015 car you'll need hardware upgrade which is around 1300 bucks I believe not exactly sure.

In terms of backup camera there is an OEM upgrade from Kies that offers coding as well and is OEM integration but its around 1000 bucks and you have to be handy with wiring the camera from the truck through the car to the front :/
Thinking of doing this in the future because a backup camera should've came standard smh
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 03:41 PM   #8
bmwtrix
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO M3 6MT

I concur with Rob @ easybimmercoding. We just finished my I4 to I6 upgrade on my 2016 M3. I also have the BimmerTech camera add-on. It works just fine after the upgrade. Rob was amazing!! Highly recommend him. Took about 1.25 hours total. Here is what I got:

https://easybimmercoding.com/product...coding-package
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 09:43 AM   #9
VeloDee
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwtrix View Post
I concur with Rob @ easybimmercoding. We just finished my I4 to I6 upgrade on my 2016 M3. I also have the BimmerTech camera add-on. It works just fine after the upgrade. Rob was amazing!! Highly recommend him. Took about 1.25 hours total. Here is what I got:

https://easybimmercoding.com/product...coding-package
Thanks for this confirmation, I'll proceed.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 08:41 AM   #10
gori
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 ZCP Fully Loaded, MPE

Quote:
Hi Folks - A couple of quick reviews of work done on my 2016 AW F80 daily driver and road/gravel bike hauler.

-- Brock Auto in Beaverton installed my stealth-hitch for very reasonable 2 hrs of labor. The white Kuat rack looks great off the back of the car. It's a unique and PNW relevant look for an M3 ;-)

-- Mo at the Wheel Doctor in NW Portland took in my beat up 437M wheels and gave me back wheels that look factory fresh (I asked for Ferric Grey with a bit more depth). Powder coated, CNC machined, clear coated, fresh ///M stickers applied, balanced! They also detailed the car at a nice discount, for that new car feeling.

My next step is to contact DynaSport to see if they have time to go under the hood.

Cheers!
Quote:

Cheers!
just curious, what was the cost of the wheel repair and finish?
Appreciate 0