Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

05-21-2020, 03:04 PM   #67
PhatLyfe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 AW/SO ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prossx View Post
Who wants to get stuck waiting for a tow truck/ repair assistance for a shredded tire which can take hours. For road trips I carry a full size extra wheel in the boot w/ 225/45/18 tire + jack, torque wrench, and plug kit JIC if its just a nail. I don't have CCBs.
Can you take a picture for us in your trunk with the full size tire? I was thinking the same route but I think it would eat up all my trunk space in my f83.

Last edited by PhatLyfe; 05-23-2020 at 03:21 PM.. Reason: typo error truck --> Trunk
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 03:44 PM   #68
VChenz
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatLyfe View Post
Can you take a picture for us in your truck with the full size tire? I was thinking the same route but I think it would eat up all my trunk space in my f83.
It eats up most of the space. I just had one in the back to get a nail repair done and you could fit small bags around it and something flat on top of the wheel.

I think the "middle ground" is some tire plugs,scissor jack, cheater bar with 17mm socket and an air pump (which the m3 comes with)

If the tire shreds or you get a sidewall puncture, you'll need to call a tow truck but generally flats are due to a single puncture...not an obliterated tire
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 09:47 PM   #69
Prossx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 G82 6MT SPY/YMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by VChenz View Post
It eats up most of the space. I just had one in the back to get a nail repair done and you could fit small bags around it and something flat on top of the wheel.

I think the "middle ground" is some tire plugs,scissor jack, cheater bar with 17mm socket and an air pump (which the m3 comes with)

If the tire shreds or you get a sidewall puncture, you'll need to call a tow truck but generally flats are due to a single puncture...not an obliterated tire
It does take a lot of space. You can fit a few gym bags in there but not much more. I generally only do the full size when road tripping with only one other passenger (plenty of back seat space for bags) and I have had an instance of an obliterated tire in a remote area - lost half a day of vacation dealing with that. A full size spare would have saved all that time.

Around town I carry the items listed above including an actual appropriate size torque wrench. Also don't forget the disc that sets into the jack points, otherwise a typical scissor jack will chew/screw up the jack point.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 03:24 PM   #70
PhatLyfe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 AW/SO ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prossx View Post
It does take a lot of space. You can fit a few gym bags in there but not much more. I generally only do the full size when road tripping with only one other passenger (plenty of back seat space for bags) and I have had an instance of an obliterated tire in a remote area - lost half a day of vacation dealing with that. A full size spare would have saved all that time.

Around town I carry the items listed above including an actual appropriate size torque wrench. Also don't forget the disc that sets into the jack points, otherwise a typical scissor jack will chew/screw up the jack point.
Normally Mrs and son take a trip to Toronto area from NJ every year in the Trusty little Prius and was thinking to take the F83 on longer vacations instead.. kind of worried if should just get a spare full size 17 or 18inch rim for a road trip ?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 08:25 AM   #71
hilld
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 Z4, 18 X1, 22 Rivian R1T

I had an experience yesterday of getting a flat on an interstate bridge right in the middle (about a mile to either end). Flat right rear tire, tire sealant and compressor did nothing, other than the goo just oozing out of the puncture hole. Needed a flatbed tow truck and a tow to the tire shop.

Of course, they had to order the tire so it is left overnight there. I do have a set of winters on different wheels just in case the order is delayed even more. Mine is a convertible, so I will have to see if I can even fit a tire back there as the trunk space is a lot different than the coupe/sedan.

Just something to think about for those longer road trips into the mountains or a state or two away.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 08:43 PM   #72
triple_m
Former lurker
Rep
Drives: 2020 F82 Ultimate 6MT

Resurrecting this thread because my new M4 is on its way here! I plan to break it in on some great roads in a more remote area, so I'll be ordering the Bimmerzone spare tire kit ahead of time (https://bimmerzone.com/products/bmw-...32291378266249).

I see you guys mentioned hub-centric rings in earlier replies; it looks like those don't come with the kit. Are those necessary in order for the spare to fit properly?

FWIW, my soon-to-arrive M4 has steel brakes.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 12:36 PM   #73
triple_m
Former lurker
Rep
Drives: 2020 F82 Ultimate 6MT

For anyone with the same question as me: I emailed Bimmerzone and got an answer from them. The spare tire kit comes with the following:

- Tire & wheel
- 5mm spacer for use on rear axle
- Longer bolts for use with above spacer
- 2 hub-centric rings (i.e. one as a spare)
- BMW jack kit
- Tire tote

I bought the full kit, and verified all this comes with it.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 03:18 AM   #74
Banksie
Rep
Drives: M4 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
You also have to adapt the hub diameter, I believe.
Your correct actually, you do need a hub adapter!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 02:25 AM   #75
dezzracer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

And if I have 20s on the back and 19s on the front... ???
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2021, 07:54 AM   #76
EricP3
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 X3M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezzracer View Post
And if I have 20s on the back and 19s on the front... ???
The idea of the spare is just to be able to get you off the road and somewhere to get your wheel/tire fixed. You will be fine running a weird setup if you keep your speed down. I just got my kit yesterday and will post some pics.