Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

06-01-2020, 08:44 PM   #1
1slowm3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Jahre

Keeping wheels clean

Hello everyone,

Running my M666's on my F80M3ZCP. I like the wheels a lot, just can't keep the dang things clean. Tips & pointers on what to use to clean them, how to prevent brake dust from sticking, and what you've found to be successful. Any tips appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 08:53 PM   #2
f80er
Banned
Rep
Drives: An M3

By different brake pads. Search the forums lots of guys including me use powerstop.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 09:04 PM   #3
Suds
/M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Responsiblish

If you stay with stock pads, Sonax wheel cleaner works.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 11:34 PM   #4
Ejones4541
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP

To clean my 666 wheels: swapped to Akebono pads, use Griot's green wheel cleaner, a conical wheel brush, and an electric pressure washer.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 07:34 AM   #5
CRRobert
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 Avus Blue ZCP M3

I had my Apex Sm-10 wheels ceramic coated. Most of the time can just spray off. I will use Adam’s wheel cleaner if I need to, usually when swapping sets and they are off the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 08:05 AM   #6
Just Apex It
Euro Haus Founder
Rep
Drives: '04 E46 330Ci ZHP

The best thing you can do is swap the pads out to something less dustier like the Powerstop Z26 (I love mine, low dust and great street performance). Ceramic coating will help with making the cleaning easier and should allow for just soapy water to get them nice and clean. If i need something a bit more powerful, I typically use Adams Polishes wheel cleaner diluted 1:1.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 08:35 AM   #7
White340
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp / 2022 X5 45e

I had the power stop z23 for a year and then changed to Akebono. The akebono are way better in terms of bite and overall braking. I didn't feel comfortable braking hard with the z23 but no longer the case with the Akebonos.

When I took the z23 off the backing plates were separating. Not sure if this is normal or not but anyway the pads were stupidly cheap so not going to complain.

If you switch to the Akebonos it will be light night and day. you'll have like 5% of the brake dust you has with OEM pads, if that.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 09:59 AM   #8
pikkagtr
Go Spurs Go
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 GR Zupra

Quote:
Originally Posted by White340 View Post
I had the power stop z23 for a year and then changed to Akebono. The akebono are way better in terms of bite and overall braking. I didn't feel comfortable braking hard with the z23 but no longer the case with the Akebonos.

When I took the z23 off the backing plates were separating. Not sure if this is normal or not but anyway the pads were stupidly cheap so not going to complain.

If you switch to the Akebonos it will be light night and day. you'll have like 5% of the brake dust you has with OEM pads, if that.
100% troooof
I've had the akebonos for about 2 months now
95% of the dust of oem gone
One of the best mods I've ever done
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 10:33 AM   #9
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
The main thing is to replace the front pads with something like Akebonos. Not a huge fan of power stops, some complain about noise. Akebonos are dead silent and great daily driving pads.

Your rears shouldn't be dusting as badly though.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 1
White3401393.00
      06-02-2020, 10:47 AM   #10
White340
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp / 2022 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
The main thing is to replace the front pads with something like Akebonos. Not a huge fan of power stops, some complain about noise. Akebonos are dead silent and great daily driving pads.

I replaced the z23 all round with akebonos on the fronts since I didn't think the rear would make that much of a difference. I ended up replacing the rear too once I saw how much braking improved with the akebonos.

That being said I didn't have much squeaking with the z23 when reversing. I have more squeaking with the Akebonos in reverse.

The z23 made a loud clunking noise when changing directions from r to d or vice versa. I found this to be more annoying. The Akebonos have bigger weights which create a more snug fit so I don't have the clunking anymore.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 10:56 AM   #11
VChenz
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slowm3 View Post
Hello everyone,

Running my M666's on my F80M3ZCP. I like the wheels a lot, just can't keep the dang things clean. Tips & pointers on what to use to clean them, how to prevent brake dust from sticking, and what you've found to be successful. Any tips appreciated!
wash and clean them really well then wax them (some even ceramic coat them)

after that you should just be able to give them a quick wash to clean off the brake dust. I wash my car every two weeks. I dont use any wheel specific cleaners anymore as they can be very harsh and if you keep up with regular cleanings, the brake dust comes off very easily.

get a good wheel brush. It'll cut your wheel wash time down to under a minute a wheel.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 11:46 AM   #12
1slowm3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Jahre

Quote:
Originally Posted by f80er View Post
By different brake pads. Search the forums lots of guys including me use powerstop.
Thanks, might have to go with Akebono's seems like the best option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suds View Post
If you stay with stock pads, Sonax wheel cleaner works.
That Sonax smell has to be the worst, found it to be the best cleaner though. Thanks for the input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejones4541 View Post
To clean my 666 wheels: swapped to Akebono pads, use Griot's green wheel cleaner, a conical wheel brush, and an electric pressure washer.
Just about to order the Akebono's. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRRobert View Post
I had my Apex Sm-10 wheels ceramic coated. Most of the time can just spray off. I will use Adam’s wheel cleaner if I need to, usually when swapping sets and they are off the car.
Good advice, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Apex It View Post
The best thing you can do is swap the pads out to something less dustier like the Powerstop Z26 (I love mine, low dust and great street performance). Ceramic coating will help with making the cleaning easier and should allow for just soapy water to get them nice and clean. If i need something a bit more powerful, I typically use Adams Polishes wheel cleaner diluted 1:1.
Thank you! Gonna order my Akebono's soon

Quote:

Gonna order my Akebono's soon, thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikkagtr View Post
100% troooof
I've had the akebonos for about 2 months now
95% of the dust of oem gone
One of the best mods I've ever done
Awesome thanks! gonna order my Akebono's soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post

Thanks! Gonna order my Akebono's soon!

Quote:
I replaced the z23 all round with akebonos on the fronts since I didn't think the rear would make that much of a difference. I ended up replacing the rear too once I saw how much braking improved with the akebonos.

That being said I didn't have much squeaking with the z23 when reversing. I have more squeaking with the Akebonos in reverse.

The z23 made a loud clunking noise when changing directions from r to d or vice versa. I found this to be more annoying. The Akebonos have bigger weights which create a more snug fit so I don't have the clunking anymore.
Thanks for the advice, gonna order my Akebono's soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VChenz View Post
wash and clean them really well then wax them (some even ceramic coat them)

after that you should just be able to give them a quick wash to clean off the brake dust. I wash my car every two weeks. I dont use any wheel specific cleaners anymore as they can be very harsh and if you keep up with regular cleanings, the brake dust comes off very easily.

get a good wheel brush. It'll cut your wheel wash time down to under a minute a wheel.
What do you wax with? Looking around and so many options
Appreciate 1
pikkagtr3896.50
      06-02-2020, 01:28 PM   #13
VChenz
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slowm3 View Post
What do you wax with? Looking around and so many options
whatever you wax your car with. I use Meguiar's Gold Class Carnauba Plus Premium Paste wax. I didn't even put any wax on the wheels, i just used the cloths i buffed the wax on the car with to rub down the wheels after i washed em and that seemed to be enough.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 02:54 PM   #14
HokieM3
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP 6MT

Where did you guys buy the Akebonos?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 04:58 PM   #15
pikkagtr
Go Spurs Go
United_States
Rep