Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

06-05-2020, 05:32 PM   #1
Ed_rx7
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 CP

Exhaust valves in efficient sport and sport+

I hope someone will confirm this for me

If in sport or sport plus are the valves open all the time or do they close and open up again at certain points in the Rev range?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 05:33 PM   #2
GT_Juls
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G82 M4

They automatically adjust depending on the rpm and throttle input. I got a dedicated valve controller so I dont need to deal with that anymore.
      06-05-2020, 05:51 PM   #3
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

I'm pretty sure Efficient Mode keeps the exhaust valves closed until about 4K RPM and then dynamically opens them above 4K depending on throttle. In Sport and Sport+ the valves seem to stay open all the time. That can be confirmed by switching to Sport during cold start. I've also heard you can power on the car (not start), go to Sport, and then press start with valves open. This is good for getting nasty looks in parking lots...or letting your boss hear your car is better than his grocery getter.
      06-05-2020, 06:54 PM   #4
9M71
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 | 6MT

In sport, valves are open in 1st and 2nd but close in 3rd+. They then only open after a certain rpm or if you're going WOT or almost (this is to prevent cruising drone). at least this is how it is on the MT
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 09:03 PM   #5
Ed_rx7
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9M71 View Post
In sport, valves are open in 1st and 2nd but close in 3rd+. They then only open after a certain rpm or if you're going WOT or almost (this is to prevent cruising drone). at least this is how it is on the MT
Thanks, what about sport+?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 09:04 PM   #6
Ed_rx7
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan315 View Post
They automatically adjust depending on the rpm and throttle input. I got a dedicated valve controller so I dont need to deal with that anymore.
That’s what I’m thinking of getting but not really sure if there is any benefit and if so what are they really!?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 09:51 PM   #7
GT_Juls
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_rx7 View Post
Quote:
That's what I'm thinking of getting but not really sure if there is any benefit and if so what are they really!?
Just sound. I want my exhaust to be loud all the time not when I just step on it. Makes a large difference.
      06-05-2020, 09:52 PM   #8
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Quote:
Just sound. I want my exhaust to be loud all the time not when I just step on it. Makes a large difference.
Agreed. Especially under light throttle situations, makes it so much better and enjoyable.
      06-05-2020, 10:24 PM   #9
9M71
Major
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, what about sport+?
Same behavior as Sport (regular). Basically all 3 modes open valves if you are mashing on the pedal. Otherwise Efficient keeps them close all gears, and sport/sport+ open them in 1&2 and close in other gears.

Like others have mentioned, the VSC valve controller is going to make a day and night difference. You can have them customize it as well. Mine is "OEM valve control as the default mode", and clicking the valve controller will force values to be stuck open. When cruising on the highway 6th gear, turning the controller on/off makes a HUGE difference in the drone level and a happier wife. Local roads, keeping the valves open with the controller makes the car pretty damn loud too (stock non-zcp exhaust + AA midpipe).
Appreciate 1
Kilabyte3948.00
      06-05-2020, 10:26 PM   #10
Kilabyte
I'm Batman!
Poland
Rep
Drives: Mineral White M3 6MT

Quote:
That’s what I’m thinking of getting but not really sure if there is any benefit and if so what are they really!?
I Installed mine a couple of weeks ago. Yes in Sport and + the valves stay open but only in the first 2 gears, after that they will open under WOT after a certain RPM. Cool thing with the controller is that you could be in efficient mode and still hear this UPS truck. I have the MPE and while I'm used to loud cars you'll be surprised how much louder this thing gets at highway speeds, stock exhaust valve programming sucks, If I want to hear the car let me hear the car, it's not a 7 series, it's a fucking M3!

I got the VSC-2, mapped it to my garage door opener and used double sided tape to stick a hidden remote to the very inner right side of the front of the seat in case I want to go OEM and stealth glide by an ossiffer. I like the other options that use the left stalk but this is so simple and doesn't need to use the OBD2 port plus it was reasonably priced vs the others {IMO}

S55, 2JZ, M48.00

Last edited by Kilabyte; 06-05-2020 at 10:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 10:28 PM   #11
9M71
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilabyte View Post
I Installed mine a couple of weeks ago. Yes in Sport and + the valves stay open but only in the first 2 gears, after that they will open under WOT after a certain RPM. Cool thing with the controller is that you could be in efficient mode and still hear this UPS truck.

I got the VSC-2, mapped it to my garage door opener and used double sided tape to stick a remote to the very inner right side of the front of the seat in case I want to go OEM and stealth glide by an ossiffer. I like the other options that use the left stalk but this is so simple and doesn't need to use the OBD2 port plus it was reasonably priced vs the others {IMO}
Genius move on taping the controller to your seat haha. Cops are probably wondering why im fiddling with the homelink in the middle of an intersection
Appreciate 1
Kilabyte3948.00
      06-05-2020, 10:42 PM   #12
Kilabyte
I'm Batman!
Poland
Rep
Drives: Mineral White M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9M71 View Post
Genius move on taping the controller to your seat haha. Cops are probably wondering why im fiddling with the homelink in the middle of an intersection
Lol I had a construction guy flip me off because he thought I was flipping him off by putting my hand up, that day I realized that I don't want my car keyed.

Besides, I was only able to map the OPEN button to homelink, my "closed" one is set to OEM function with VSC but won't link with the mirror buttons, hence having the remote under the seat, anyone else?

S55, 2JZ, M48.00
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 10:50 PM   #13
9M71
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilabyte View Post
Lol I had a construction guy flip me off because he thought I was flipping him off by putting my hand up, that day I realized that I don't want my car keyed.

Besides, I was only able to map the OPEN button to homelink, my "closed" one is set to OEM function with VSC but won't link with the mirror buttons, hence having the remote under the seat, anyone else?
Thats odd. Button 1 & 2 on the valve controller for me is OEM and OPEN respectively. I was able to program them to the 1 and 2 slots on the homelink as well without issue.
Appreciate 0