EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

05-31-2020, 11:38 PM   #67
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 -Smurfy Blue Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeM3 View Post
Aren't street tunes safer than dyno tunes though? When street tuning you get to see how the car performs in real world conditions whereas on a dyno you just see how the car performs in perfected artificial conditions
That’s what I thought.
Appreciate 1
HyeM3464.50
      06-01-2020, 02:09 AM   #68
tomlong
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMpower View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomlong View Post

This time around, I told myself if this S55 blows and I am not able to source/procure another one for a reasonable price then I'm just gonna go straight to an LS3 motor swap. Summit Racing sells them in crates for around the same price or sometimes less than what some of the "exhaust systems" cost for our platform. Add a cam to an LS3 and we're looking at ~600 rwhp.

Good luck to you. Please keep us posted.
Just curious about your source of info but where are you getting 600WHP from an LS3 with just a cam?
Misspoke, cam + tune

Source: I ran a local C6 with this setup who showed up with a dyno sheet print out
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 10:00 AM   #69
CoolLiving
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw M3

From what im told dyno tunes are safer and immediately done with the tuner taking over the dyno shops computers to dial you in on the spot I would have to do many street tunes to get dialed in perfectly one time. I know guys here that's on almost 100 logs but realistically after a dyno tune you would probably just log a few times for the tuner to make sure things are right. And also the there were no leaks on the mishimoto oil cooler its just after I installed it I kept getting low oil it could of been because of the pures im not sure.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 12:23 PM   #70
DanMpower
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3s and a Red VW

Quote:
Misspoke, cam + tune

Source: I ran a local C6 with this setup who showed up with a dyno sheet print out
Well sorry to say but that guy lied to you.

Full bolt-on, cam, and tuned LS3s are good for 475-500whp

He most likely had a procharger or nitrous to reach 600whp.
Appreciate 1
      06-01-2020, 03:51 PM   #71
tomlong
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Misspoke, cam + tune

If that's the case then my car on stock trim is definitely punching above its weight. Because he didn't gap that bad, just 2 cars. So full bolt-on LS3s should make for easy comps then.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 01:53 AM   #72
mark5092
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C, 18 M3 ZCP, 20 Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoNufff View Post
Sorry to hear that man. Who did your e50 tune?
He mentioned this in another thread:

“All are great tuners I would get a dyne tune vs a street tune that's next for me when I get the car back. I went with f80 Paul just because I was pressed for a tune and the other guys said he answers fast. My car is a monster but before you do a tune get spark plugs from the vendors on here be careful of fake Ebay plugs too. If I can figure out how to out videos on here I will show you how my car pulls.“
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 05:34 AM   #73
LINF83
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80

Where is the meth injection your planing to installed ?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 08:58 AM   #74
chetrickerman
ECUTek Master Tuner
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 YMB

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt720s View Post
From what im told dyno tunes are safer and immediately done with the tuner taking over the dyno shops computers to dial you in on the spot I would have to do many street tunes to get dialed in perfectly one time. I know guys here that's on almost 100 logs but realistically after a dyno tune you would probably just log a few times for the tuner to make sure things are right. And also the there were no leaks on the mishimoto oil cooler its just after I installed it I kept getting low oil it could of been because of the pures im not sure.
The method of tuning, and the tuners strategy is more important than whether the car is tuned on a dyno or the street. A street tune can absolutely be as safe as a dyno tune, and is better for getting rid of drivability issues. If you are wanting to get every last whp out of your setup, then a dyno tune with an experienced tuner should be able to achieve that as long as there are no mechanical issues
      06-06-2020, 10:40 PM   #75
tomlong
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Misspoke, cam + tune

Hey Dan - Do you want to check your facts again?

Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 10:34 AM   #76
DanMpower
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Misspoke, cam + tune

Ummm.. those are fully built engines...

You said a cam + tune is good for 600whp when in reality it's more around 475-500.

I guess I should have rephrased my response, in order to reach 600whp, you would need nitrous, forced induction or more than just a cam+tune.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 11:10 AM   #77
tomlong
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Misspoke, cam + tune

Ummm.. those are fully built engines...

You said a cam + tune is good for 600whp when in reality it's more around 475-500.

I guess I should have rephrased my response, in order to reach 600whp, you would need nitrous, forced induction or more than just a cam+tune.
Dude, it was a quick parking lot convo. I just get out there and run my stock F80 which dyno'd at 403whp and 415 ft/lb. At the time it was on the rollers, it had a faulty MAF sensor and leaking intercooler, right after I purchased from previous owner.

I run anybody, underdog or not. In this instance, guy claims he has 600whp and brought a dyno sheet. His car was fast, it pulled like a GTR and 600cc bike. I'm not a internet key board warrior. The point you are trying to making is what? I'm 100whp off? If so, so what?

I was out there doing it, not on here debating about it. If he lied to me, he lied to me. It's expected in this game, especially if cash is on the line. None was involved in this instance.

He could've been running a built motor with higher compression set up. Or 4inch stroker kit. I don't know. Would you like me to go and ask him for a more detail setup?

I've ran Mopars with 700 bhp and they couldn't pull away yet have been destroyed by tuned N54s with upgraded turbos. You win some you lose some. Its the unexpected underdog victories that put a smile on my face
Appreciate 1
      06-07-2020, 11:13 PM   #78
DanMpower
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Dude, it was a quick parking lot convo. I just get out there and run my stock F80 which dyno'd at 403whp and 415 ft/lb. At the time it was on the rollers, it had a faulty MAF sensor and leaking intercooler, right after I purchased from previous owner.

I run anybody, underdog or not. In this instance, guy claims he has 600whp and brought a dyno sheet. His car was fast, it pulled like a GTR and 600cc bike. I'm not a internet key board warrior. The point you are trying to making is what? I'm 100whp off? If so, so what?

I was out there doing it, not on here debating about it. If he lied to me, he lied to me. It's expected in this game, especially if cash is on the line. None was involved in this instance.

He could've been running a built motor with higher compression set up. Or 4inch stroker kit. I don't know. Would you like me to go and ask him for a more detail setup?

I've ran Mopars with 700 bhp and they couldn't pull away yet have been destroyed by tuned N54s with upgraded turbos. You win some you lose some. Its the unexpected underdog victories that put a smile on my face
Relax man, I'm not flaming you, I'm just calling BS on that owner that was giving you false info and it almost seemed like you were defending him for a minute...
Appreciate 1
      06-07-2020, 11:32 PM   #79
CoolLiving
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw M3

You guys made my day on the little debate I like that when we come together and talk about different motors and power figures. Also im up and running again going to do another crank hub Tuesday. Then off to the dyno.
Appreciate 1
      06-08-2020, 12:27 AM   #80
Spun Crankhub
Major General
Rep
Drives: 15 F82 *SOLD*

Sorry to hear OP
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 12:39 AM   #81
mark5092
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C, 18 M3 ZCP, 20 Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt720s View Post
You guys made my day on the little debate I like that when we come together and talk about different motors and power figures. Also im up and running again going to do another crank hub Tuesday. Then off to the dyno.
Glad your up and running again! Good to hear your going to go to the dyno and hopefully not get a tune from the other guy!
Appreciate 1