ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

05-25-2020, 12:42 PM   #45
FastM3CT
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I almost think that weather/heat with aggressive driving with really tuned cars like E85 set ups are are having these issues?

I do believe that addressing this is a good option to do going forward but I just dont understand how this could be should a weak link on our cars, with no service bulletins to address this from BMW NA.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 01:27 PM   #46
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Same as issue of rod bearings on E9X platform. No official statement from BMW, yet it happens.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 01:29 PM   #47
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 -Smurfy Blue Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastM3CT View Post
I almost think that weather/heat with aggressive driving with really tuned cars like E85 set ups are are having these issues?

I do believe that addressing this is a good option to do going forward but I just dont understand how this could be should a weak link on our cars, with no service bulletins to address this from BMW NA.
You actually answered your question in your post. The reason its not on service bulletins is because it doesn't happen as often on stock/untuned cars as opposed to cars that are tuned, especially on e85.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 02:06 PM   #48
mark5092
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C, 18 M3 ZCP, 20 Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellipsis212 View Post
E85 all day
Yep, CA guys using E85 to run aggressive tunes because their 91 is so crappy and can’t get good quality 93. Their E85 is probably crappy also. Probably shouldn’t be trying to push limits with aggressive tunes when they don’t have the quality of fuel necessary to be safe. Just be satisfied with a safe 91 tune!!
Appreciate 2
      05-25-2020, 04:09 PM   #49
hoobawhat?
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4

Sorry to hear about the tragic news man.. I hope you'll have her up and running again in no time. It's a good thing that no engine internals were damaged, and you managed to slip by with just the spun hub... This is why all f8x owners should check off the max psi crank hub upgrade off the list as the number one "mod," before getting ANYTHING else done. I've personally heard and seen too many of these weak hubs cause detriment. And it could have all been avoided with just a simple preventative replacement. Let this be a humbling lesson to us all. Upgrade that hub before doing ANY sort of modification or tuning. Hell, I'd even go as far as to say upgrade it even with the stock internals. Shame on BMW for knowingly selling these vehicles with these faulty bucket list of parts that fail time after time. From the rod bearing issues on the e9x platform, to the failing hpfp's and vanos solenoids on the n55's , to the timing chain scoring on the n20's, and now with these faulty crankhubs on the s55... I really hope that these issues start getting resolved down the line.
Appreciate 2
fam0us56.00
      05-25-2020, 05:16 PM   #50
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoobawhat? View Post
Sorry to hear about the tragic news man.. I hope you'll have her up and running again in no time. It's a good thing that no engine internals were damaged, and you managed to slip by with just the spun hub... This is why all f8x owners should check off the max psi crank hub upgrade off the list as the number one "mod," before getting ANYTHING else done. I've personally heard and seen too many of these weak hubs cause detriment. And it could have all been avoided with just a simple preventative replacement. Let this be a humbling lesson to us all. Upgrade that hub before doing ANY sort of modification or tuning. Hell, I'd even go as far as to say upgrade it even with the stock internals. Shame on BMW for knowingly selling these vehicles with these faulty bucket list of parts that fail time after time. From the rod bearing issues on the e9x platform, to the failing hpfp's and vanos solenoids on the n55's , to the timing chain scoring on the n20's, and now with these faulty crankhubs on the s55... I really hope that these issues start getting resolved down the line.
They won't.....
It is unfortunate we have the issues we have with the S55, such a great platform. Some platforms have worse problems..some do not. BMW will always take the stance that is was not made to modify and in its production trim it does not have a consistent weakness. All things will break, all things have manufacturing failures..... but they seen quite few and far between compared to the production numbers.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 05:39 PM   #51
fam0us
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | F80

Just got word, the car is done and ready to be picked up. Unfortunately I won't be able to make it down to SSR until tomorrow after work. Thanks again SSR Performance for everything
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      05-25-2020, 05:50 PM   #52
Tricki
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by fam0us View Post
Just got word, the car is done and ready to be picked up. Unfortunately I won't be able to make it down to SSR until tomorrow after work. Thanks again SSR Performance for everything
What happened with yours? Whole hub spun as bolt loosened or timing sproket/friction plate failed?
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2020, 07:40 PM   #53
RevNev
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricki View Post
What happened with yours? Whole hub spun as bolt loosened or timing sproket/friction plate failed?
Other than it "spun the crank hub", what happened mechanically in a particular case and why it happened is rarely publicised. Did the crank bolt loosen or stretch meaning they removed the bolt with minimum effort? Or did the hub spin despite the bolt was still torqued to spec?

What's failing to cause the spin, the bolt, the friction washer or perhaps the bolt isn't optimally torqued from the factory? It's been mentioned that 360 degs of rotation beyond the initial torque setting is the optimum clamping force, not the factory spec 270 degs.

Should we perhaps tighten the crank bolt an extra 90 degs prior to a hub spin and see if that minimises the problem. Has anyone ever tried that?

The M4 GT4 race cars don't seem to spin crank hubs and use the same road car engine and components. They're severely thrashed and subject to driver errors for BMW to acknowledge a design fault exists and alter the design on those engines destined to be raced. The only GT4 engine difference is the addition of dip stick and tube attached to the sump. The GT4 timing gear entirety is part numbered the same as the road car components including the crank bolt and friction washer.

Last edited by RevNev; 05-25-2020 at 08:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 07:44 PM   #54
blockdoc
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5092 View Post
Yep, CA guys using E85 to run aggressive tunes because their 91 is so crappy and can’t get good quality 93. Their E85 is probably crappy also. Probably shouldn’t be trying to push limits with aggressive tunes when they don’t have the quality of fuel necessary to be safe. Just be satisfied with a safe 91 tune!!
Or make the small investment in a real time ethanol sensor so you actually know what you are using. I agree that one shouldn't be pushing the limits without adequate preparation.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 09:13 PM   #55
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5092 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellipsis212 View Post
E85 all day
I was thinking more in the line of moving away
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2020, 02:29 AM   #56
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fam0us View Post
Congratulations on putting this issue behind you!

Sorry if it's kind of unprofessional to ask and I know every situation is unique but can you please share how much roughly it cost, parts and labor, for such a job.. Thanx.
Appreciate 1
fam0us56.00
      05-29-2020, 12:40 PM   #57
fam0us
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

UPDATE:

Had the car back for a couple days now, everything is good and better than ever. I want to thank SSR Performance for all the help. Hands down the best customer service I've received for my car. Highly recommend them if it's a crank hub fix or any other services
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 11:15 AM   #58
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevNev View Post
It's been mentioned that 360 degs of rotation beyond the initial torque setting is the optimum clamping force, not the factory spec 270 degs.

Should we perhaps tighten the crank bolt an extra 90 degs prior to a hub spin and see if that minimises the problem. Has anyone ever tried that?

The M4 GT4 race cars don't seem to spin crank hubs and use the same road car engine and components.
I've asked my shop for the "German solution" of the extra quarter turn and then a CBC. They said it's almost as much work to disassemble and lock the crank for the quarter turn, but friction washer spin could still happen (I'd be going for Stg2+/E85 with my MT6). They said for the money difference just do the MaxPSI hub, which they haven't seen fail.

And I'm sure the factory guys who build the GTS engines puts a little extra oomph on that crank bolt. Too bad we can't easily measure torquing-off the crank bolt from a GTS versus a Base model engine.
      05-31-2020, 07:53 PM   #59
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post

Sorry if it's kind of unprofessional to ask and I know every situation is unique but can you please share how much roughly it cost, parts and labor, for such a job.. Thanx.
There is no damn reason any cost quotes should be "secret" If so there is something funky gong on up in here
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 07:55 PM   #60
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsepower_and_hounds View Post
Quote:

There is no damn reason any cost quotes should be "secret" If so there is something funky gong on up in here
I totally agree but it just feels wrong to ask :

So I was trying to ask tactfully.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 08:59 PM   #61
Detoxified
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2C HS

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by horsepower_and_hounds View Post
Quote:

I totally agree but it just feels wrong to ask :

So I was trying to ask tactfully.
In case you were wondering, they quoted me roughly $4000
Appreciate 2
      06-02-2020, 12:29 AM   #62
MisterF80M3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

E85 on stock hub? Brave guy..
      06-02-2020, 12:32 AM   #63
fam0us
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterF80M3 View Post
E85 on stock hub? Brave guy..
Yup lesson learned
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 03:16 AM   #64
LATTES
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

E85==SCH
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2020, 03:01 AM   #65
Mdkcrf250r
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Has anyone determined if and what the correlation is between e85 tune and sch? The horsepower shouldn’t affect the workload of the crank hub. It’s job is still only to spin the cams.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 05:29 AM   #66
cheveux
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M4

i think the problem with e85 tunes is that they usually tend to have extremely aggressive low rpms
Appreciate 0