Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

10-29-2023, 01:36 PM   #1
Full_of_fit
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Please Help Scared to 10.2” Android Screen

Hello,
As the title states, I am scared to to install my new 10.2” screen. I would not be worried at all if I had directions that came with the screen however not so lucky. After calling ECS Tuning the support gentleman directed me to a video of a configuration that is not like mine. Here is all the information I have about my car, I looked through the forums however everything is from 2020 if not they are cars that did not come with wireless car or without Apple Pay at all. Also I am finding conflicting information on what cables I need to use, etc. Thank you in advance I really appreciate your help and time.

I have a 2017 F80, NBT EVO head unit that came with wireless car play, half screen, that I coded to full screen. If I need to provide anymore information I can. Thanks again,
Ian

Last edited by Full_of_fit; 10-30-2023 at 01:03 PM.. Reason: Adding picture
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 01:08 PM   #2
Full_of_fit
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

A little update and would like to confirm with you guys if that’s ok. I was told that all I would need to use this is to connect the outlined cable below. The other cables are for “extra features” I have no idea and they were vague with their answer. Honestly I just want to keep everything the same as stock as I can. I don’t need to watch Netflix or YouTube when I’m driving. Thanks again and hopefully someone will help me out 👍
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 03:30 PM   #3
Jaizero
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

The big cable will be the new interface between the stock head unit and the new screen, it'll make sense once you have the main unit pulled out of the dash.

If you have green fiber optic left and right cables currently in the stock head unit harness, you will want to make sure you swap those green fiber optic cables over to the new harness, otherwise you won't have any audio.

Another thing to add, there isn't much room behind the stock head unit main part that's in the dash, so you will need to make things as neat as possible for the main unit to fit back into the dash.

The other parts in the picture are a 4G antenna (long, thin rectangular), a GPS antenna (square), a speaker/microphone (circle), USB cables.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 06:46 PM   #4
Full_of_fit
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaizero View Post
The big cable will be the new interface between the stock head unit and the new screen, it'll make sense once you have the main unit pulled out of the dash.

If you have green fiber optic left and right cables currently in the stock head unit harness, you will want to make sure you swap those green fiber optic cables over to the new harness, otherwise you won't have any audio.

Another thing to add, there isn't much room behind the stock head unit main part that's in the dash, so you will need to make things as neat as possible for the main unit to fit back into the dash.

The other parts in the picture are a 4G antenna (long, thin rectangular), a GPS antenna (square), a speaker/microphone (circle), USB cables.
Thank you very much, are the 4G antenna, GPS antenna, the speaker/microphone and USB cables necessary?

If I am using google maps through my phone is the GPS antenna necessary? I’m guessing, of course I have no idea, are the speaker/microphone needed? Will Siri work without them? And what is the purpose of the USB cables?
I am sorry for my ignorance, I honestly have no idea. Thank you so much for your help!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2023, 08:53 AM   #5
Jaizero
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

The 4G antenna cannot be used in North America as the head unit does not support North American SIMs (assuming you are in N.A.)

If you are using Android Auto or Carplay, the GPS antenna is not used as your phone provides the GPS signal. If you want to use Google Maps directly on the head unit you will need to connect the GPS antenna.

The speaker/mic is not needed unless you are using voice services directly on the new head unit. Siri works through your phone and uses the phones voice commands.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2023, 06:50 PM   #6
Full_of_fit
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaizero View Post
The 4G antenna cannot be used in North America as the head unit does not support North American SIMs (assuming you are in N.A.)

If you are using Android Auto or Carplay, the GPS antenna is not used as your phone provides the GPS signal. If you want to use Google Maps directly on the head unit you will need to connect the GPS antenna.

The speaker/mic is not needed unless you are using voice services directly on the new head unit. Siri works through your phone and uses the phones voice commands.
Awesome man thank you so much for time and guidance, I really appreciate it 👍
Appreciate 0