ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

08-24-2016, 02:24 AM   #1
F80 ZCP
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Farm Truck

Compensation for the rear differential

During my conversation with BMW NA this evening the person had informed me that everyone affected by the rear differential recall would get fairly compensated. I did not ask about this. It was voluntarily disclosed during the conversation. What type of compensation remains unknown at this point. Wheter this is true or not remains to be seen. Assuming that BMW wants to provide a goodwill gesture to us what would you consider an equitable comp? Me personally I'd prefer an extended warranty(mechanical and electrical).
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 06:47 AM   #2
bb1857
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Garage List
2007 BMW 335 E92  [0.00]
2015 BMW 428GC  [0.00]
2014 BMW 535i  [0.00]
I have no idea what they are going to do but they told me the same thing. I don't know what is fair but I am looking at it that yes it's super aggravating but there are way bigger actual problems that I could be faced with so I am trying to stay as cool as I can because I know I will have a pretty awesome car at some point.

How they choose to handle the compensation we shall see. Each scenario is going to be different. I do however know that I will not be a part of some silly class action lawsuit by someone who is sue happy.
Appreciate 1
SakhirM410784.50
      08-24-2016, 06:55 AM   #3
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

My guess is a $100 prepaid VISA or a coupon for $1,000 off the next BMW you buy or lease.
      08-24-2016, 07:00 AM   #4
Halewafa
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: SO/SO M4

The compensation is probably for people that didn't do ED who had a pickup date already scheduled that got pushed back, or those that did ED but it took longer than the 6-8 or 8-10 weeks to get the car (depending on where you're picking it up).

I did ED and I finally have a pickup date of next Monday (8/29). This will be 9 weeks and 6 days since dropping it off, so I will get no compensation. Sucks, but nothing I can really do about it since it's still in the 10 week time frame. I haven't read about anyone getting compensation that did ED that got their car back before the time limit was reached even if they were affected by the differential problem.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 07:41 AM   #5
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp / Macan Turbo

It was suggested it would be equal to a lease payment or two, depending on how long the actual delay was. Other, more livid, people who threatened to cancel were offered $1500.

Should have my car this week, so we'll see.
      08-24-2016, 07:52 AM   #6
cotmfk
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railgun View Post
So were you put out by a few grand? Was your situation delayed delivery or extended service time? Do you think that it's a fair comp?

This thread is going to be nothing but self-entitled folks thinking it was the end of the world for not having a car for a few weeks. Maybe a class action will suffice.

I agree with the general sentiment. I guess the problem really is for the people who did Euro Delivery and are already making payments on the car, have it insured, etc, while waiting to take delivery here in the US. It seems the clear compensation there is for BMW to eat the monthly payments of those customers. Not sure if that will happen for them, though.

FWIW, I'm not affected (had my car since January). Still loving the car, no issues whatsoever yet!
      08-24-2016, 08:18 AM   #7
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railgun
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngeloGabriel View Post
what would you consider an equitable comp? Me personally I'd prefer an extended warranty(mechanical and electrical).
So were you put out by a few grand? Was your situation delayed delivery or extended service time? Do you think that it's a fair comp?

This thread is going to be nothing but self-entitled folks thinking it was the end of the world for not having a car for a few weeks. Maybe a class action will suffice.

I flew to Germany and was unable to take delivery. Got to see my car and take pics that was it. Fucked up everything the wife and I had planned. Ohh did I mention another customer complained and they fixed his M4 and delivered it to him in front of me. He drove off from the Welt with his M car while I could not. That was on July 26th they told me 4 days before we left about the stop order. Now I have no idea where my car is or when it will be fixed.

Self entitled? I think not. How would you feel if you were in my shoes? Guarantee you wouldn't be posting such BS.
Appreciate 2
      08-24-2016, 08:24 AM   #8
mic_crispy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 | 964 | x1 M35

Quote:

That's not totally fair. A good number of people learned AFTER they flew to Munich for Euro Delivery that they would only get to maybe SEE their car, but not drive it. If that was me, yep i would be asking for a lot.

But in my case, its just been delayed. Ill take whatever they can give me (probably just a payment reimbursement).. but hey, if they start offering BMW performance parts i wouldn't turn those away either.
      08-24-2016, 08:57 AM   #9
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

Quote:
I get that...after the fact notwithstanding, based on the other posts in however many other threads there are on this, it goes without saying that a few folks are a little OTT with regards to this situation.

It sucks, sure, but other than a car payment...maybe two, there's little to no financial impact on the customer to warrant raising holy hell and demanding disproportionate compensation.
Railgun, you are one of the greatest voices of reason on this forum.

But I have to disagree here because it's so situational.

My wife knows one of my life dreams is to go pick up a brand new BMW in germany and drive through Europe for 2 weeks. It would be an enormous, multi-year planning and intention to make it happen - not because of finances, but because of time.

If someone flies to europe to pick up their vehicle, and can't take delivery, that is not a minor inconvenience. That is a major alteration to a dream.

I would expect BMW to provide fully compensated other transportation during my trip + other long-term incentive to stay with the brand/make my vacation better. Long-term could be guaranteed invoice pricing on my next BMW, pay for my fuel in europe, give me my choice of BMWs to drive and drop off at any drop-off location for ED, etc.

By comparison, in the U.S., when you pick up a new car and the delivery date is scheduled you make plans around it. The problem is not as large as being in another country on a scheduled vacation, but is still inconvenient. Again, I'd ask for compensated transportation and a long-term benefit to help keep me in the brand.
      08-24-2016, 09:07 AM   #10
Msmall143
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW S1000RR

BMW is in the selling cars business, not the making dreams come true business.

I would imagine the sales contract, which we all signed, stated they are not responsible for any monetary damages caused by delays in manufacturing, delivery, or recalls.

Anything they offer is just good will on their part. How many cars were affected?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 09:11 AM   #11
F80 ZCP
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Farm Truck

Quote:

Did you read? Where did I say I was offered any monetary value? The offer or mention to compensate EVERYONE affected by this was disclosed by the rep from BMW NA VOLUNTARILY when she called me. I have had to cancell my trip to pick up the car two times, but I was never inclined to ask for any monetary comp. I don't think anyone affected by the delay are expecting any financial relief other than the ED guys that have started to make the car note without taking posession of the car. But since they offered it VOLUNTARILY, why not take it?

"Self righteousness has killed more people than smoking".
Appreciate 1
      08-24-2016, 09:23 AM   #12
Halewafa
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: SO/SO M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmall143 View Post
BMW is in the selling cars business, not the making dreams come true business.

I would imagine the sales contract, which we all signed, stated they are not responsible for any monetary damages caused by delays in manufacturing, delivery, or recalls.

Anything they offer is just good will on their part. How many cars were affected?
Last I heard it was over 3,000 I believe
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 10:35 AM   #13
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Aventurin/SS G82 xDrive

Garage List
If I got delayed more than the 10 weeks for ED-PCD, I'd expect maybe a payment, but my payments are pretty low, so I don't know if I care that much.

Last edited by 'Cane; 08-24-2016 at 10:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 11:05 AM   #14
Leaveit2bevo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: GTR/F80

Ill take a mpe exhaust for my troubles
Appreciate 1
Draper3460.50
      08-24-2016, 11:13 AM   #15
Mistertmac
Chief Warrant Officer
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 17 F82 ZCP,20 G06,24 G05 M60i

Garage List
BMW 2GB Thumb Drive....
2022 G01/X3 DG/TR M40i
Appreciate 1
drexplode1784.50
      08-24-2016, 12:08 PM   #16
m_matt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335m | 2016 F80 zCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaveit2bevo
Ill take a mpe exhaust for my troubles
It's funny you say that because I asked for a few accessories + m school as compensation.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 12:35 PM   #17
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA
Quote:
I get that...after the fact notwithstanding, based on the other posts in however many other threads there are on this, it goes without saying that a few folks are a little OTT with regards to this situation.

It sucks, sure, but other than a car payment...maybe two, there's little to no financial impact on the customer to warrant raising holy hell and demanding disproportionate compensation.
Railgun, you are one of the greatest voices of reason on this forum.

But I have to disagree here because it's so situational.

My wife knows one of my life dreams is to go pick up a brand new BMW in germany and drive through Europe for 2 weeks. It would be an enormous, multi-year planning and intention to make it happen - not because of finances, but because of time.

If someone flies to europe to pick up their vehicle, and can't take delivery, that is not a minor inconvenience. That is a major alteration to a dream.

I would expect BMW to provide fully compensated other transportation during my trip + other long-term incentive to stay with the brand/make my vacation better. Long-term could be guaranteed invoice pricing on my next BMW, pay for my fuel in europe, give me my choice of BMWs to drive and drop off at any drop-off location for ED, etc.

By comparison, in the U.S., when you pick up a new car and the delivery date is scheduled you make plans around it. The problem is not as large as being in another country on a scheduled vacation, but is still inconvenient. Again, I'd ask for compensated transportation and a long-term benefit to help keep me in the brand.
Spot on there Joe. It's a little more then an inconvenience for some of us. While I do agree that someone whose car is delayed a few weeks for local pickup shouldn't be compensated. People that have spent money (thousands maybe 10s of thousands) on travel arrangements for Euro Delivery better be taken care of. For the record BMW is taking care of me. If they didn't they were gonna lose a long time customer.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 12:54 PM   #18
Leaveit2bevo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: GTR/F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_matt View Post
It's funny you say that because I asked for a few accessories + m school as compensation.
How'd that go over? Im going to ask when I get a call back from region case manager.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 01:01 PM   #19
m_matt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335m | 2016 F80 zCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaveit2bevo
Quote:
How'd that go over? Im going to ask when I get a call back from region case manager.
So far so good. Have to confirm a few things, but your more likely to get things of this nature rather than them actually giving you money back. I asked for the cf lower attachment & cf door handles + 2 day m school. Now I should add that I currently have my 335i on month to month lease because of this whole fiasco, which is probably why they are ok with it.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 01:18 PM   #20
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Aventurin/SS G82 xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
So far so good. Have to confirm a few things, but your more likely to get things of this nature rather than them actually giving you money back. I asked for the cf lower attachment & cf door handles + 2 day m school. Now I should add that I currently have my 335i on month to month lease because of this whole fiasco, which is probably why they are ok with it.
Now that's a great idea! I'd love a carbon fiber spoiler.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 02:07 PM   #21
maldoror
Private
Rep
Drives: '16 F80 M3 ZCP, '16 F31

I was sent (and already received) a check as goodwill. I never even inquired about compensation originally, but they brought it up, and I said sure.

Last edited by maldoror; 08-25-2016 at 10:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 02:49 PM   #22
ejonsson90
Private First Class
Iceland
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Who are you all talking to that's giving you this? Genius?

Also, I'm assuming this would only be offered to ED customers whose cars were delayed outside of the quoted 10 week wait time?
2006 S4 25th Anniversary - #116/250
Appreciate 0