BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

06-25-2018, 11:35 PM   #67
glennQNYC
Space Force Door Gunner
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [4.87]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcharged View Post
Give me a break. The snobs and pretentiousness here is insane. Who cares about a badge, and if there's a few idiots who are over the top?
Have you ever been to a BMW meet? Debadged 335's looking like M4's, 320i drivers doing burnouts, bro-culture identical to a local camaro club, etc. Bad drivers follow no badge, they follow higher volumes of cars sold. And fools including myself have bought BMW's product and have said 'yeah this is good enough', when quite frankly it is not. Not even close. American performance cars have much better traction control systems, way better handing, better brakes (have you ever driven a GT350? Stops like an M3 wishes it could), and a way better sounding engine (obvious).
These ZL1's, Z06s, 1LE's destroy performance comparably dollar for dollar with German cars. The M2 is cheap plastics everywhere and the seats are garbage vinyl.
M2/M3/M4/M5 are depreciating like crazy here in Canada. ZL1's / 1LE hold their value similarly here with depreciation percentage slightly better/similar to an M car.
The brand snobs in here and those who think overpriced and overrated $165/hour BMW service is worth the free waters and snacks.... no words
Hope you enjoy your $300 Oil Change (yeah, that's what several dealers in the GTA wanted to charge me) for your BMW experience as a Chev dealer will do it for $100.
Stigma and worrying what others think is pitiful.
I'm all about buying American, but I was sold on BMW's telematics system, and the fit and finish is in a different league compared to the American cars I considered.

06-25-2018, 11:38 PM   #68
Thescout13
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80 M3, 19 M2C (on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcharged View Post
Give me a break. The snobs and pretentiousness here is insane. Who cares about a badge, and if there's a few idiots who are over the top?
Have you ever been to a BMW meet? Debadged 335's looking like M4's, 320i drivers doing burnouts, bro-culture identical to a local camaro club, etc. Bad drivers follow no badge, they follow higher volumes of cars sold. And fools including myself have bought BMW's product and have said 'yeah this is good enough', when quite frankly it is not. Not even close. American performance cars have much better traction control systems, way better handing, better brakes (have you ever driven a GT350? Stops like an M3 wishes it could), and a way better sounding engine (obvious).
These ZL1's, Z06s, 1LE's destroy performance comparably dollar for dollar with German cars. The M2 is cheap plastics everywhere and the seats are garbage vinyl.
M2/M3/M4/M5 are depreciating like crazy here in Canada. ZL1's / 1LE hold their value similarly here with depreciation percentage slightly better/similar to an M car.
The brand snobs in here and those who think overpriced and overrated $165/hour BMW service is worth the free waters and snacks.... no words
Hope you enjoy your $300 Oil Change (yeah, that's what several dealers in the GTA wanted to charge me) for your BMW experience as a Chev dealer will do it for $100.
Stigma and worrying what others think is pitiful.
I'm all about buying American, but I was sold on BMW's telematics system, and the fit and finish is in a different league compared to the American cars I considered.
EXACTLY! Those American cars are amazing and things of beauty performance wise. Love the drive of my Camaro SS. But at the end of the day the tech and fit and finish of the BMWs is hard to overlook for a daily.
      06-26-2018, 08:14 AM   #69
HPIA4v2
Major
Rep
Drives: E60, E71, F80

Someone may want to change the title of this thread
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 08:29 PM   #70
Mr Carrots
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
Predictable response - as if the F8x is some sort of straight-line monster.

It's a matter of choice - but to not consider it is foolish.
Track, straight line, roll race, whatever metric you use the m3/4 is going to lose to a far cheaper zl1

The "prestige" comes from paying tens of thousands more for less performance (how much is a M4 CS cost, or even the base with the options boxes all ticked?)

The other dude talking about the "stigma" of driving a zl1 in Texas, I get nothing but positive feedback at gas stations, parking lots etc. Certainly far more than in my humble bmw.

Since I still own one other bmw I guess it's ok to post here about all options
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 09:54 PM   #71
Thescout13
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80 M3, 19 M2C (on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Carrots View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
Predictable response - as if the F8x is some sort of straight-line monster.

It's a matter of choice - but to not consider it is foolish.
Track, straight line, roll race, whatever metric you use the m3/4 is going to lose to a far cheaper zl1

The "prestige" comes from paying tens of thousands more for less performance (how much is a M4 CS cost, or even the base with the options boxes all ticked?)

The other dude talking about the "stigma" of driving a zl1 in Texas, I get nothing but positive feedback at gas stations, parking lots etc. Certainly far more than in my humble bmw.

Since I still own one other bmw I guess it's ok to post here about all options
I'm that "dude." I get compliments all the time. My point was that the people I get attention from are usually rednecks or gang bangers. Not my people, considering the former hung my people a couple decades ago.

The stigma comes in other respects, such as in social circles, work relationships etc. In my line of work, people are judgmental as hell. But they pay me the money that allows me to afford these cars, so I am sensitive to their whims. Just my experience. Doesn't mean it's everyone's. I agree that these cars are literally awesome performance cars, but it's hard to daily one in my experience.
      07-11-2018, 11:18 PM   #72
funtimes
Rep
Drives: Audi A6

Question Anyone switching to M2 Competition?

Just curious who is trading in their M4 for the new M2 Competition?!? If so, why? If not, why not?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 11:23 PM   #73
Hachima
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

No HUD...
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 12:11 AM   #74
SherM4n
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4, TT RS, TT

I already have two cars with unusable back seats.
      07-12-2018, 12:16 AM   #75
SD ///M4
Blue (and Orange) Bimmers Rule!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M4 Coupe | 06 Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SherM4n View Post
I already have two cars with unusable back seats.
My second car doesn't even have a back seat!

Appreciate 1
SherM4n106.50

07-17-2018, 02:00 PM   #76
pheerIx
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

IMHO the M2 Comp will feel like a step backwards especially when all the other models start moving to the G series chassis. My G01 X3 interior and tech already makes my M3 feel kind of dated. Then take away the Merino leather, HUD, and side view cameras and it gets even worse. I'd probably be more interested in the new Z if I wanted a 2 seater.
      07-17-2018, 03:32 PM   #77
nicknaz
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E84 X135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post

The stigma comes in other respects, such as in social circles, work relationships etc. In my line of work, people are judgmental as hell. But they pay me the money that allows me to afford these cars, so I am sensitive to their whims.
+1 on that

Couldn't agree more.

It depends great on each person's situation
Appreciate 1
Thescout131376.00

07-17-2018, 05:57 PM   #78
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funf6cyl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Ehh I would check one out in person first if you havent already. Its a decent step down in interior quality and the back seat is very cramped. Not to mention I believe its actually heavier than the M3/4 which kind of defeats the purpose.
The car gained something like 125-150 lbs on an already very heavy car - more so when you consider how small it is.
I don’t think m3/4 are great quality wise, but the M2 is a good step down if not more. On top of that, I think the price will make it a terrible value for the performance or likely lack thereof. As we have seen, the M3/4 CS are not much better performance than a competition m3/4.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funf6cyl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Ehh I would check one out in person first if you havent already. Its a decent step down in interior quality and the back seat is very cramped. Not to mention I believe its actually heavier than the M3/4 which kind of defeats the purpose.
The car gained something like 125-150 lbs on an already very heavy car - more so when you consider how small it is.
I don't think m3/4 are great quality wise, but the M2 is a good step down if not more. On top of that, I think the price will make it a terrible value for the performance or likely lack thereof. As we have seen, the M3/4 CS are not much better performance than a competition m3/4.
I have over 70,000 miles on the F8x platform - the quality has been top-notch.
Appreciate 0