Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

07-05-2018, 04:05 PM   #2135
Mp3Supply
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80

My contribution....

First off, a big thanks to RRT in Sterling, VA. They've done all the work to my car thus far and it has been top notch.

iStep
- I bought my ///M in Feb and i was on the latest iStep already, so I didn't have to perform a further upgrade.

Match Snell Spacers
Front -15MM
Rear - 12MM

I'm likely to change my spacers down the road to be 12F/10R, as that is what Match Snell recommends with the 666 wheels, these are pretty aggressive. I've not had any rubbing yet, I can can do a full 360 in either direction with not odd noises, but i also haven't had a full car of people either...

Last edited by Mp3Supply; 07-05-2018 at 08:36 PM.. Reason: updated photos
Appreciate 7
Jockey3445.00
Wills28647.00
ptper589.00
Kxux20.00
      07-06-2018, 05:28 PM   #2136
figure99
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 - ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by figure99 View Post
Will do. Unfortunately I was not able to take the car home today, I'm not happy about it. I drove over 100 miles there and was told it would be done the same day, they've done it plenty of times before. I couldn't get a hold of the SA in the afternoon to check status on the install, so I went there at 4 pm and was told they couldn't finish it until Monday. He showed me the car, it looked like they had just started it hardly an hour before that... and I had dropped it off at 7 AM. At a minimum he should have told me around noon that they couldn't start it early enough for whatever reason so I could have driven home in the loaner and not wasted an entire day off of work. Better communication could have made the situation more palatable.
So I picked the car up after waiting through the weekend on Monday (at least this time the SA communicated throughout the day with me better, confirming a specific time that afternoon to pick it up). Anyway, I asked that the height be adjusted to BMW recommendations, 20mm drop in the front and 5mm drop in the rear, three times... when scheduling, when dropping the car off, and during the install after the first day (of which they had hardly started yet, see previous post). As soon as the tech pulled the car around after the test drive I immediately knew it was not close to BMW recommended heights. See pictures below... the rear was nearly slammed with the 'tucked' look, the car is almost squatting!?! The front is a little high, although not too bad. It looks worse in person, I'll try to get a better pic tomorrow. I told the SA I was not happy with the height and will reschedule the adjustment and re-alignment, however I wanted to allow it to settle for a bit before having it readjusted. I confirmed the springs are set at nearly the lowest height once I got home. I haven't measured them exactly yet, plan on doing that with something more accurate than a tape measure at work. To be fair, the original recommended SA I had scheduled with was not working the day I dropped the car off, thus I was reassigned a different SA... that's where I believe the communication fail was, although he was told twice about my preferred height! I'm considering adjusting the height myself, then having them conduct another alignment... we'll see how much time and motivation I have next week.

Regardless, the 100 mile drive home was fun... the car felt much more "planted" in all EDC modes. The ZCP car should have come with these springs, or at least non-height adjustable springs dropping the car to the BME recommended height with the same stiffness. I'll provide more feedback after adjusting the height properly and having it realigned.
Attached Images

“If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough.” -Mario Andretti

Last edited by figure99; 07-06-2018 at 05:36 PM..
Appreciate 2
FSociety3811.50
shay2nak1070.00
      07-06-2018, 05:33 PM   #2137
figure99
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mp3Supply View Post
My contribution....

First off, a big thanks to RRT in Sterling, VA. They've done all the work to my car thus far and it has been top notch.

iStep
- I bought my ///M in Feb and i was on the latest iStep already, so I didn't have to perform a further upgrade.

Match Snell Spacers
Front -15MM
Rear - 12MM

I'm likely to change my spacers down the road to be 12F/10R, as that is what Match Snell recommends with the 666 wheels, these are pretty aggressive. I've not had any rubbing yet, I can can do a full 360 in either direction with not odd noises, but i also haven't had a full car of people either...
Looks good, did you go with the BMW recommended height? If not have you measured them? I agree, 12F/10R spacers are probably best from everything I've seen... I'm going to install mine next week after adjusting the height.
“If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough.” -Mario Andretti
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2018, 06:27 PM   #2138
jdherman
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
As soon as the tech pulled the car around after the test drive I immediately knew it was not close to BMW recommended heights.
You can see my car here with HAS installed at the BMW recommended heights. It does look higher than yours but I swear the front was dropped 2 to 3" not a mere 20mm drop (or .79in) Here the car is in OEM condition.

Maybe I'm wrong but my front seems much lower than just a .79in drop.

Jeff
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2018, 08:59 PM   #2139
Mp3Supply
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80

Quote:
Looks good, did you go with the BMW recommended height? If not have you measured them? I agree, 12F/10R spacers are probably best from everything I've seen... I'm going to install mine next week after adjusting the height.
I did not, from my awareness. I told the guys at RRT that i trust their expertise and just that I did not want it slammed. Also, that I wanted to level it out as much as possiable (I don’t care for the rake look).

I’ll be going back in a few weeks for a full corner balance, I can check actual measurements then.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2018, 07:54 PM   #2140
figure99
Private First Class
Rep

BMW M Performance Suspension (HAS height adjustable sleeve over kit)

Car looks good... you're probably right, I suspect most are lowered more than 20 mm in the front. I should have measured my car before the HAS kit was installed. The recommended post install heights in the manual are 633 mm and 626 mm F/R from bottom of the wheel to fender... my car after install is 630 mm in the front, but only 598 mm in the rear!

After driving the car for the last 12 days I've decided it definitely needs to be raised in the rear and lowered a few mm in the front from an aesthetics perspective. I'm going to adjust it myself and have the dealer just re-align it. I've enjoyed the firmer more planted feel of the car with the kit, regardless of the fact it's not adjusted to my preferred height. I'll provide a more detailed review once it adjusted, but still believe the car should have come with this kit or something close to it.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 11:22 AM   #2141
Agent11br
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
I'm going to adjust it myself and have the dealer just re-align it.
Would love to know how you end up doing the rear, I have tried twice unsuccessfully using a few strategies. The only way I see it is to remove the lower control arm bolt in order to get the compression off, which I have not tried yet.

Mine came back from the dealer very similar last year when I got it installed, was below 600mm in the rear. The reverse rake look is annoying.
      07-16-2018, 07:52 PM   #2142
figure99
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent11br View Post
Quote:
I'm going to adjust it myself and have the dealer just re-align it.
Would love to know how you end up doing the rear, I have tried twice unsuccessfully using a few strategies. The only way I see it is to remove the lower control arm bolt in order to get the compression off, which I have not tried yet.

Mine came back from the dealer very similar last year when I got it installed, was below 600mm in the rear. The reverse rake look is annoying.
Will do, I hope to try on Wednesday or Thursday evening. My friend with the same kit on his M4 is going to help me... he claims to have manually adjusted the height himself successfully, so we'll see.

So basically force from the compressed spring creates too much friction between threads correct? I've heard it can be especially difficult if even the slightest amount of dirt gets on the threads... of course it doesn't take much. Did you notice if yours had any dirt on them? I've only put about 200 miles on mine since picking it up from the dealer and haven't driven in rain or anything. Hopefully they're clean.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
FSociety3811.50
      07-18-2018, 09:03 AM   #2143
Agent11br
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Will do, I hope to try on Wednesday or Thursday evening. My friend with the same kit on his M4 is going to help me... he claims to have manually adjusted the height himself successfully, so we'll see.

So basically force from the compressed spring creates too much friction between threads correct? I've heard it can be especially difficult if even the slightest amount of dirt gets on the threads... of course it doesn't take much. Did you notice if yours had any dirt on them? I've only put about 200 miles on mine since picking it up from the dealer and haven't driven in rain or anything. Hopefully they're clean.
Please post back, with pics if you can!

The compression doesnt allow you freely spin the seat/height adjust ring. The top mount that goes into the frame is not secured/fixed. So when you turn the adjustment ring, the entire assembly spins. I tried a few methods such as using a pry bar as well as pushing down on the wheel hub. Going up is easy, going down

A few guys on here I have DM'd about it all said ultimately remove lower control arm bolt, removes all the tension. I've had mine since last year maybe Jan/Feb, was the first install at my dealer here locally. I could maybe see the thread point but I've got a compressor so some air and lube would solve that.

I'm going to be corner balancing mine sometime this summer at a friend's place... just as soon as I can get some spare time from the minions and wife
      07-19-2018, 09:42 AM   #2144
ptper
Major
Rep
Drives: '18 Avus Blue F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by SO17 View Post
The bolts and nuts are one time use only and BMW state that these should be replaced when fitting the kit.
Does anyone happen to have the part numbers associated with this?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 12:21 AM   #2145
CH_M3f80
Private First Class
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: X3MC LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigilante99 View Post
Unfortunately, it seems almost impossible for me to put on the back springs (passenger's side) in the correct way.

As picture below shows (left side), main and helper spring at passenger's side rear axle do not seem to be in right position. Helper spring does not sit right onto the main spring and it looks a little bit slanted.

On the other hand, at driver's side, helper spring aligns with main spring so nicely that they both make a perfect single cylinder-like shape.

I was not aware of this problem until I try alignment work because it looks nice when all four wheels were off the ground for installation (tension has not applied to the springs).

However, as soon as tires touch ground (helper spring begins to be compressed), helper spring comes off from where is should be placed.

Is there anyone who's having same or similar trouble like me?
Is there any important tips or notes for installation to avoid this kind of trouble?

Please let me know

funny sonnet poems

hi guys,

My installation looks like the first picture.
Is that normal?

Best wishes
Nic
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 01:20 AM   #2146
literbikes
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 G. Telesto M3 w/SO Stitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH_M3f80 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vigilante99 View Post
Unfortunately, it seems almost impossible for me to put on the back springs (passenger's side) in the correct way.

As picture below shows (left side), main and helper spring at passenger's side rear axle do not seem to be in right position. Helper spring does not sit right onto the main spring and it looks a little bit slanted.

On the other hand, at driver's side, helper spring aligns with main spring so nicely that they both make a perfect single cylinder-like shape.

I was not aware of this problem until I try alignment work because it looks nice when all four wheels were off the ground for installation (tension has not applied to the springs).

However, as soon as tires touch ground (helper spring begins to be compressed), helper spring comes off from where is should be placed.

Is there anyone who's having same or similar trouble like me?
Is there any important tips or notes for installation to avoid this kind of trouble?

Please let me know

funny sonnet poems

hi guys,

Is that normal?

Best wishes
Nic
Do you have the black spacer in between the helper spring and the main rear spring?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 03:37 PM   #2147
knightarmor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH_M3f80 View Post

funny sonnet poems

hi guys,

Is that normal?

Best wishes
Nic
Is the little rubber nipple sticking out under the control arm as shown? I can't see it in your picture.

Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 03:12 AM   #2148
CH_M3f80
Private First Class
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by literbikes View Post
Do you have the black spacer in between the helper spring and the main rear spring?
I dont know...I think yes but I am not sure... I have to check this again...
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 03:13 AM   #2149
CH_M3f80
Private First Class
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightarmor View Post
Is the little rubber nipple sticking out under the control arm as shown? I can't see it in your picture.

Yes!, the little rubber nipple is sticking out under the control arm as shown!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 02:10 PM   #2150
golfinz
Captain
Rep
Drives: Tanzanite M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfinz View Post
Had my MP installed yesterday and noticed today that the driver side was sitting lower than the passenger side (by about 1/4" in front and back). I took it back to the shop that did the install and they put the car on their hunter alignment machine to check it out (to make sure the car was perfectly level).

The tech was able to level out the car but showed me that the front driver side adjustment collar was showing no threads while the passenger side was showing the majority of them. We measured the car twice after he measured it and both sides were the same from fender to bottom of the wheel.

He told me that when they corner balance race cars, it is not uncommon that this happens because of the sway bar. He said that as you change one side, the other side adjusts the other way due to the connection with the sway bar.

Does anyone know if this is makes sense or if something could be wrong?

FWIW, The shop that did the work specializes in suspension and tire setups so I trust that they wouldn’t blow smoke up my ass. It just seems odd that it would be this different.
To follow up. I took the car back for an alignment on Friday and had them check the install. It was found that one of the adjustable mounts was sitting higher on the shock than the other. They re-installed the side that was not correct and now everything is perfect
Appreciate 1
FSociety3811.50
      07-24-2018, 03:59 PM   #2151
Agent11br
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptper View Post
Does anyone happen to have the part numbers associated with this?
ptper I might be able to dig this list up, PM if you didn't find it, I can find my invoice and scan it.
      07-24-2018, 04:02 PM   #2152
ptper
Major
Rep
Drives: '18 Avus Blue F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent11br View Post
ptper I might be able to dig this list up, PM if you didn't find it, I can find my invoice and scan it.
Hey man - I ended up just emailing getbmwparts and they were able to get me the list. Guess, I shoulda thought about that before posting, lol, but thanks for responding!
Appreciate 1
Agent11br449.50
      07-24-2018, 04:53 PM   #2153
vip
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001 Alpine White M5

Will this suspension work on cars without EDC/adaptive suspension?
      07-24-2018, 04:56 PM   #2154
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Quote:
Originally Posted by vip View Post
Will this suspension work on cars without EDC/adaptive suspension?
Yes. KW HAS and M-Perf HAS has nothing to do with EDC/Adaptive functions.
Appreciate 1
vip159.00
      07-24-2018, 06:59 PM   #2155
f80 zcp dom
Rep
Drives: bmw m850i

bmw m performance suspension kit

Looking to order this kit on my 2017 f80 m3 wondering what you guys payed for the kit and installation? thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 08:03 PM   #2156
figure99
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by f80 zcp dom View Post
Looking to order this kit on my 2017 f80 m3 wondering what you guys payed for the kit and installation? thanks
Generally the kit costs about $1100-$1200 with hardware and shipping online. Install prices are all over the map... some dealers have charged upwards of $2000 with alignment, while others have charged $800. Seems like some dealers don't know what they're doing with this kit unfortunately as some of the earlier posts in this thread have pointed out. I don't believe the kit should cost any more than $1000 with an alignment to install correctly assuming your car is new enough and doesn't require programming (you shouldn't if your car is a 2017 from my understanding). Indy shops are generally lower than most dealers, but I've seen them as high as $1500 as well. If you'd like the car corner balanced it may cost a little more... might be worth it if you track the car a lot.
Appreciate 0