GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

12-09-2018, 11:30 PM   #1
PhillySpecial
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 Competition

Philadelphia-Area PPF/Ceramic Coating?

Apologies for the new thread, but not a whole lot of recent info on the topic.

Anyone have recommendations for PPF/ceramic coatings in greater Philadelphia? Looking for a full bra, with a possible hydrophobic ceramic overlay added. Definitely willing to travel (I'm in Montgomery County, but am frequently in West Chester and the western suburbs/Main Line), and price isn't an issue so much as quality. Willing to pay for a great install.

Thanks a ton in advance - you guys are the best!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 08:44 AM   #2
jfritz27
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 CS

PM'd you
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 08:33 AM   #3
Poiseuille
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 DCT Tanzanite/Amaro

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [10.00]
had mine done here one year ago and still extraordinarily satisfied (XPel & Gyeon). obviously a bit of a distance for you, but it's both turnpikes almost all the way so quicker than it looks. also, trip makes more sense because you have to leave it for four days anyway.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 11:43 PM   #4
PhillySpecial
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks a ton for the replies - I'll check them out as soon as I can!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 01:12 PM   #5
jmayer365
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3cs, Audi R8 v10, Tesla X

If you are still looking, one of the best is right in West Chester. Check out Oakes Detail.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 06:02 PM   #6
PhillySpecial
Enlisted Member
Rep

Just as a resolution to the thread, I ended up going with Oakes Detail in West Chester, which isn't far from my place.

Couldn't be happier with Nick, Nigel, and the crew there. Absolute pros - communication was great, pricing was very fair/completely transparent, and (the most important part, of course) the work is amazing. I did a full XPEL Ultimate Plus full vehicle custom install, followed by Modesta on everything including the wheels. If anything goes wrong/needs to be redone or replaced, it's all included in the price. Shop is beautiful, with lots of folks trusting their high-dollar stuff to the work being done there. Nick was very patient and explained the rationale behind everything he does (I was curious about XPEL UP versus the newest-generation SunTek, Modesta versus CeramicPro, and such). Finally, he opened up on a day that they were closed to accommodate my schedule for drop-off.

If anyone in greater Philadelphia is looking for a shop, highly recommended. I didn't get any compensation or anything, just very happy with how it turned out.

Thanks a ton for all of the recommendations; let me know if anyone wants to road-trip or meet up this summer!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 11:59 AM   #7
brocurls
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mazdarati

Thanks for the follow up and review of Oakes detail.

I live 10 mins from the West Chester area, so I'll be going there with confidence after reading your post.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 08:36 AM   #8
PhillySpecial
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quick follow-up post: I've been back to Oakes twice for very minor revisions of the film/coating, and both technical skill and customer service have been top-notch. I'm definitely taking my next car (wife is looking now) there, and I wouldn't hesitate to use their shop if you guys are in greater Philadelphia.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 08:52 AM   #9
Eric S
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: in pre-order stages

I told you....hahaha.

glad it worked out.

And everyone...film issues arise as the film expands and contracts with heat and cold over the first couple of weeks and a couple washes. Best thing to do is bring it back and have it trimmed up just like in this case Im assuming
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 10:16 AM   #10
PhillySpecial
Enlisted Member
Rep

Completely right, Eric! Thanks a million for all of the info - you're the man.

And that's exactly what happened (and is likely still happening, given the weird temperature fluctuations here in Philadelphia recently). Had a bubble on the fuel-filler door that went away without any intervention, and had a few very minor areas of lift that needed minor trimming. I'm more neurotic than most, and the guys at Oakes have been super-accommodating.

The regional manager for their PPF brand was there yesterday when I dropped by, and was extremely impressed with their custom installation/craftsmanship. He was also blown away by how the Modesta coating made the car really pop.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 01:49 PM   #11
Eric S
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: in pre-order stages

it really does make a difference! Modesta stands out for a reason! Japanese glass coatings look better than a lot of others on the market!
Appreciate 2
GERMAN M34181.00
PhatLyfe985.00