BPM
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-03-2019, 02:59 PM   #177
AustinJerry
Private
29
Rep
74
Posts

Drives: F82 M4 Black/SB w/6MT
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Austin, Texas

iTrader: (0)

Iím still very pleased with this one:

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=172
__________________
F82 M4 Black/SB w/6MT
Dinantronics Stage 1 Performance Tuner
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2019, 04:34 PM   #178
Nadeemp8
Private First Class
61
Rep
194
Posts

Drives: 2015 M3 Sedan
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Austin

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedc5 View Post
Just seeing if you guys had better luck as I just returned mine. Fitment was not flush and left a gap between the radio trim and dash. Looks fine in the driver's seat but was visible when sitting in passenger seat. The metal used is not solid and easily bends. I really wanted this one to work out.
Dang, I just ordered this last night after reading through this thread!!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 04:47 PM   #179
whitedc5
Private
22
Rep
92
Posts

Drives: f82
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: socal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadeemp8 View Post
Dang, I just ordered this last night after reading through this thread!!
I ordered after reading this thread also. I guess it depends on how picky you are. You can't tell unless you're in the passenger seat (which I'm sure people didn't check after installing).
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 12:54 PM   #180
spuntyb
Colonel
spuntyb's Avatar
United_States
1177
Rep
2,751
Posts

Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedc5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by spuntyb View Post
I ordered this one the other day after looking for one for my wife's Macan. Will report back after install and use.

http://www.rennline.com/BMW-ExactFit...nfo/PM01%2E19/
Quote:
Originally Posted by F80_BK View Post
Just placed my order for this!
Just seeing if you guys had better luck as I just returned mine. Fitment was not flush and left a gap between the radio trim and dash. Looks fine in the driver's seat but was visible when sitting in passenger seat. The metal used is not solid and easily bends. I really wanted this one to work out.
Wow. That honestly just sounds like a defective unit. Did you try asking them to replace it under warranty? Mine sits flush after install, and the metal seems like I could bend it, but only if I actually tried. Just sitting there, it doesn't move or really vibrate. Love mine so far.
__________________
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)

2018 F80 ZCP
2018 Macan GTS
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 05:40 PM   #181
whitedc5
Private
22
Rep
92
Posts

Drives: f82
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: socal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuntyb View Post
Wow. That honestly just sounds like a defective unit. Did you try asking them to replace it under warranty? Mine sits flush after install, and the metal seems like I could bend it, but only if I actually tried. Just sitting there, it doesn't move or really vibrate. Love mine so far.
I just gave up and returned it. It was shipped to me in a thin poly envelope/bag, no box for protection. Given your positive experience, my gut says it was probably bent during shipping, thus no longer in it's original shape to conform perfectly after install. The unit I had bent pretty easily -- didn't take much effort.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 05:41 PM   #182
Nadeemp8
Private First Class
61
Rep
194
Posts

Drives: 2015 M3 Sedan
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Austin

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedc5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadeemp8 View Post
Dang, I just ordered this last night after reading through this thread!!
I ordered after reading this thread also. I guess it depends on how picky you are. You can't tell unless you're in the passenger seat (which I'm sure people didn't check after installing).
got my mount today and installed it. when you are only holding the mount, yes it is flimsy and based upon first glance you'd think it would bend easily and/or be useless. once you mount it you will find it does not bend as a result of how it is mounted, just make sure you the little pin on the back of the radio is fully inserted into the hole of the mount. once it is and you screw everything together it mounts up solid with no gap that I could discern and pretty solid with little to no flex. only weak point I could see would be the circular magnetic piece that slips over the metal ball on the mount. this is all plastic and I am thinking with heat and compression it will fail/weaken to where it will not hold a heavier phone upright, but hopefully I'm wrong!

Last edited by Nadeemp8; 06-11-2019 at 10:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 05:41 PM   #183
SherM4n
M4 748(a)
SherM4n's Avatar
United_States
361
Rep
322
Posts

Drives: '18 M4, '12 TT RS, '02 TT
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: WV, USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadeemp8 View Post
got my mount today and installed it. when you are only holding the mount, yes it is flimsy and based upon first glance you'd think it would bend easily and/or be useless. once you mount it you will find it does not bend as a result of how it is mounted, just make sure you the little pin on the back of the radio is fully inserted into the hole of the mount. once it is and you screw everything together it mounts up solid with no gap that I could discern and pretty solid with little to no flex. only weak point I could see would be the circular magnetic piece that slips over the metal ball on the mount. this is all plastic and I am thinking with heat and compression it will fail/weaken to where it will not hold a heavier phone upright, but hopefully I'm wrong!
Any idea how big the ball is? Wonder if like a Ram mount could be attached to it instead.
__________________
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic265822_1.gif
2018 Ferrarirot F82
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2019, 12:36 AM   #184
hellokitty
hello kitty oke ??
hellokitty's Avatar
North Korea
692
Rep
1,561
Posts

Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT | '12 335iS DCT
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: North Korea

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 BMW 335iS  [0.00]
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Rennline. Best mount Iíve used to date. Solid, ideal location for visibility and I get my vents back.

Expensive but worth it in my book.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 08:07 AM   #185
Tommy L Garage
Major
1313
Rep
1,333
Posts

Drives: 2017 YMB M3 6MT CP EP VP
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Woodbridge, NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
Rennline. Best mount Iíve used to date. Solid, ideal location for visibility and I get my vents back.

Expensive but worth it in my book.
I agree
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 06:04 PM   #186
zuna13
Private
Canada
15
Rep
55
Posts

Drives: '18 ZUQ M4
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: AB, Canada

iTrader: (0)

If you decide to buy rennline do not buy directly from them, go to esc tuning or other sites.
It's the worst customer service I've seen, completely clueless. It's already day 11 since I received tracking info from DHL stating shipment is not yet picked up and there's no changes.

After bunch of emails asking to find out what's happening or to give me a refund so I can order it somewhere else all I keep getting is the same tracking link I already have and apologies. I'll wait few more days and request refund from Paypal directly, done talking to them.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 10:41 PM   #187
F80_BK
M3MBER
F80_BK's Avatar
United_States
15
Rep
90
Posts

Drives: F80 M3 -Yas Marina/Silverstone
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Mill Creek, WA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedc5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by spuntyb View Post
I ordered this one the other day after looking for one for my wife's Macan. Will report back after install and use.

http://www.rennline.com/BMW-ExactFit...nfo/PM01%2E19/
Quote:
Originally Posted by F80_BK View Post
Just placed my order for this!
Just seeing if you guys had better luck as I just returned mine. Fitment was not flush and left a gap between the radio trim and dash. Looks fine in the driver's seat but was visible when sitting in passenger seat. The metal used is not solid and easily bends. I really wanted this one to work out.
Mine is perfect fitment. Completely flush and no gap on the passenger side. You must have got a defective one because mine doesn't move or bend at all. I've been looking for one specifically made for our cars without sacrificing space. The rennline checks every box for me. Totally worth the money for a clean, sturdy mount that doesn't look out of place.

Edit: and yes I have the full leather dash. I saw others blaming fitment issues on this.
__________________
2015///M3|Yas Marina Blue|Silverstone|
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 12:04 AM   #188
zuna13
Private
Canada
15
Rep
55
Posts

Drives: '18 ZUQ M4
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: AB, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F80_BK View Post
Mine is perfect fitment. Completely flush and no gap on the passenger side. You must have got a defective one because mine doesn't move or bend at all. I've been looking for one specifically made for our cars without sacrificing space. The rennline checks every box for me. Totally worth the money for a clean, sturdy mount that doesn't look out of place.

Edit: and yes I have the full leather dash. I saw others blaming fitment issues on this.
We either have two kinds of Rennline mounts being sold or more likely there are differences between pre facelift and facelift radio\ac controller or dash itself. Assuming you have F80 pre facelift from your profile info and fitment was fine.

in my case (FL F82) mount was perfect fit in the back of the radio but couldn't avoid having a gap when everything was installed back into the dash. Two pictures show exactly where "high spot" of the mount was touching the leather making the gap. There's an imprint left and the only way getting around would be cutting it out or soften up dash/leather to give in for the extra material.

I made the other post hoping users will report if their fitment was right or wrong with model/year and if dash was full leather or not.
There has to be a pattern because I can't see improper installation even if the mount was slightly bent.
Attached Images
  
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 01:11 AM   #189
F80_BK
M3MBER
F80_BK's Avatar
United_States
15
Rep
90
Posts

Drives: F80 M3 -Yas Marina/Silverstone
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Mill Creek, WA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuna13 View Post
We either have two kinds of Rennline mounts being sold or more likely there are differences between pre facelift and facelift radio\ac controller or dash itself. Assuming you have F80 pre facelift from your profile info and fitment was fine.

in my case (FL F82) mount was perfect fit in the back of the radio but couldn't avoid having a gap when everything was installed back into the dash. Two pictures show exactly where "high spot" of the mount was touching the leather making the gap. There's an imprint left and the only way getting around would be cutting it out or soften up dash/leather to give in for the extra material.

I made the other post hoping users will report if their fitment was right or wrong with model/year and if dash was full leather or not.
There has to be a pattern because I can't see improper installation even if the mount was slightly bent.
I just went out and took some close-up pictures. Sorry it's kinda dark out so pictures are not great. But yea my M3 is a 2015 so pre-LCI. I did however find a TINY gap if I look at the perfect angle and only really up-close. It's the same size as the thickness of the metal (as you would expect). I marked it with the red arrow in the picture below. But my leather was not penetrated even close to how much yours was.
Attached Images
      
__________________
2015///M3|Yas Marina Blue|Silverstone|
Appreciate 1
zuna1315.00

      08-10-2019, 02:16 AM   #190
zuna13
Private
Canada
15
Rep
55
Posts

Drives: '18 ZUQ M4
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: AB, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F80_BK View Post
I just went out and took some close-up pictures. Sorry it's kinda dark out so pictures are not great. But yea my M3 is a 2015 so pre-LCI. I did however find a TINY gap if I look at the perfect angle and only really up-close. It's the same size as the thickness of the metal (as you would expect). I marked it with the red arrow in the picture below. But my leather was not penetrated even close to how much yours was.
That looks great.
In my case gap was huge and along the whole side, even the lower corner, visible from every angle. That's how I've seen little notch holding everything up (arrow pointing) I tightened it so hard there was even a small gap in between mount and radio as well. The whole thing was deforming because of the bottom piece digging into the leather from previous pictures.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 12:47 AM   #191
IK6SPEED
Major General
IK6SPEED's Avatar
United_States
3310
Rep
8,362
Posts

Drives: BMW M3 / AH3
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Cali

iTrader: (20)

Wonder if one could take a Renn Mount and modify it, removing the magnet and putting this on it instead. (See video in link).

https://hippera.store/products/last-...29466539589702

Would add wireless charging. Cable could be hidden on Renn Mount. Also appears more secure grip.
__________________
Stable: F80 / AH3
Past: F80 ZCP / F22 M235i / E89 35is
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 03:05 PM   #192
FaRKle!
Major
United_States
829
Rep
1,302
Posts

Drives: '17 328d Sport Wagon
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Wonder if one could take a Renn Mount and modify it, removing the magnet and putting this on it instead. (See video in link).

https://hippera.store/products/last-...29466539589702

Would add wireless charging. Cable could be hidden on Renn Mount. Also appears more secure grip.
Just need somebody to measure the mount ball's diameter.

If you have multiple phones like I do (and put both in mounts) you can use a lower trim shelf piece and mount some air vent/clip on mounts to it.

I use some Arkon 17mm (garmin size) ball joint adapters (1, 2) to extend the mount up and give me the angle I want with these cheap grip mounts. Works well for me, and holds up to track driving no problem.

You can see my mounts peeking up at the bottom of the pic. The only thing the phones block positioned there for me are the passenger temp dial and seeing the LED for whether the AC is on or not (but you can peek around). The whole setup (mounts, extender joints, shelf trim) was about $65.

Last edited by FaRKle!; 08-13-2019 at 03:30 PM..
Appreciate 1
IK6SPEED3310.00

      08-13-2019, 09:57 PM   #193
eyeamgrewt
Lieutenant
eyeamgrewt's Avatar
186
Rep
416
Posts

Drives: 2016 M3 BSM
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Montco, PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Wonder if one could take a Renn Mount and modify it, removing the magnet and putting this on it instead. (See video in link).

https://hippera.store/products/last-...29466539589702

Would add wireless charging. Cable could be hidden on Renn Mount. Also appears more secure grip.
Should work fine as long as it has the same size ball joint. I did a similar thing with my Rennline mount and this.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 04:02 PM   #194
FaRKle!
Major
United_States
829
Rep
1,302
Posts

Drives: '17 328d Sport Wagon
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeamgrewt View Post
Should work fine as long as it has the same size ball joint. I did a similar thing with my Rennline mount and this.
Based on the product page for that it has a 17mm ball, so the Rennline ball must also be 17mm.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 04:04 PM   #195
Sir Loin
M3AT LOVER
Sir Loin's Avatar
United_States
257
Rep
1,846
Posts

Drives: Silverstone F80 M3
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

I have installed both an iOttie one-touch phone holder and a Chinese brand wireless Qi charger on the Rennline mount. Both fit perfectly.
__________________
2015 F80 M3 | SSII ext SO int | M-DCT | 19" Black Wheels
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:46 AM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST