Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

04-10-2016, 02:34 AM   #45
al3xander
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNoob View Post
this. and I had to hold the remote like 2 inches from the mirror. no more, no less. it was really finicky. maddeningly finicky.
Finicky is an understatement. I almost broke a sweat trying to get mine to work.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 05:58 PM   #46
AustinJerry
Private
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Black/SB w/6MT

I have given up. Nothing works for me. Guess I'll need to be satisfied with an opener clipped to the sub visor.
      04-11-2016, 08:14 PM   #47
m4recruiter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 - ED Pick-up 4/29/16

Quote:
Originally Posted by al3xander
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNoob View Post
this. and I had to hold the remote like 2 inches from the mirror. no more, no less. it was really finicky. maddeningly finicky.
Finicky is an understatement. I almost broke a sweat trying to get mine to work.
I just parked the car in the garage and used a step ladder to reach the drive unit. No problem.
2001 E46 325i Touring
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 08:23 PM   #48
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4recruiter View Post
I just parked the car in the garage and used a step ladder to reach the drive unit. No problem.
I parked in my (single vehicle) garage, opened the moon roof, and just put my had up and pressed the button
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 08:24 PM   #49
m4recruiter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 - ED Pick-up 4/29/16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinonz
Quote:
Originally Posted by m4recruiter View Post
I parked in my (single vehicle) garage, opened the moon roof, and just put my had up and pressed the button
Even better!

I think the reason the instructions say to park the vehicle outside is probably safety in case some bozo does this with the engine running.
2001 E46 325i Touring
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 09:35 AM   #50
AustinJerry
Private
Rep

I am not sure the tips that have been presented in this thread are applicable to me. I have discussed my situation with Chamberlain (LiftMaster) Support, and here is what I have found out:

The model opener I have is "the new line of Chamberlain openers with MyQ". 2015 BMW M4's have an older version of HomeLink that does not support the newer Chamberlain openers. What is required is a "Compatibility Kit", which is a small electronic box that is mounted on the wall in the garage. It acts as a bridge to translate the signal from the vehicle into the protocol that is used by the opener. It comes with a small control unit that is used to program the vehicle. The compatibility kit can be ordered from https://secure.homelink.com/homelink...ter-kit-detail for $24.95 plus shipping.

At this point I am not sure why others have reported success programming their vehicles, other than perhaps we are talking about different (older) garage door opener models.
      04-12-2016, 10:05 AM   #51
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
I am not sure the tips that have been presented in this thread are applicable to me. I have discussed my situation with Chamberlain (LiftMaster) Support, and here is what I have found out:

The model opener I have is "the new line of Chamberlain openers with MyQ". 2015 BMW M4's have an older version of HomeLink that does not support the newer Chamberlain openers. What is required is a "Compatibility Kit", which is a small electronic box that is mounted on the wall in the garage. It acts as a bridge to translate the signal from the vehicle into the protocol that is used by the opener. It comes with a small control unit that is used to program the vehicle. The compatibility kit can be ordered from https://secure.homelink.com/homelink...ter-kit-detail for $24.95 plus shipping.

At this point I am not sure why others have reported success programming their vehicles, other than perhaps we are talking about different (older) garage door opener models.
This is very possible and makes perfect sense. You GDO uses a newer frequency that is not compatable with the homelink in the car. You obviously know how to program it as it worked with your older GDO so that rules out human error.

That kit looks right as it has a purple wire, that will work with your car. Yellow wire, nope.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...65&postcount=8

Damn security +2.0, looks like BMW is a little slow at updating the tech in the cars.

Last edited by 2kaccordocoupe; 04-12-2016 at 10:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 12:07 AM   #52
M4fanatic626
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Tanzanite M4

I have also tried programming my Homelink for the garage with no luck. I followed the users manual and also watch the you tube videos and read this thread having the same issues. I'm stuck too, I tried all the above but will try it again another day.
      04-16-2016, 10:33 AM   #53
V8MAN
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 M3CxD IOMG

I have a fairly new DirectDrive unit which is supposed to be made in Germany, I figured I would have no issue programming it...wrong!! I tried, and tried, and tried until I just gave up
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 04:59 PM   #54
AustinJerry
Private
Rep

I have received and successfully installed the "Homelink Compatibility Bridge". The kit consists of a small repeater unit that is plugged into a wall outlet in the garage in close proximity to the garage door opener, and a small remote control. Installation steps:

1. Plug in the repeater unit. I used the ceiling outlet next to the opener:

2. Using the provided remote control, program the vehicle's control buttons following the Owner's Manual instructions. Picture of the remote control:

3. Once the vehicle has been programmed successfully, press the Yellow "Learn" button on the opener, and within 30 seconds, press and hold the vehicle control button. When this programming step is successful, the garage door opener's lights will flash off and on twice.

4. Done, and works like a charm.

My previous post has a web link where the compatibility bridge kit can be ordered.
      04-18-2016, 05:30 PM   #55
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

Awesome. Thanks for following up on this and posting the resolution.

My neighbor had the same issue with a chamberlain opener. He called customer service and they sent out the kit as a good will gesture. I guess it's a YMMV.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2016, 08:18 PM   #56
ptper
Major
Rep
Drives: '18 Avus Blue F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post

5. Then go to your garage door opener motor head unit in the garage. Locate the "Program" or "Learn" button. Usually near the hanging antenna wire on your garage door opener motor head unit. (The name of these buttons vary by manufacturer, please see your garage door openers owners manual for the location of this programming button).
Thanks. This was the key part I was missing!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2016, 09:12 PM   #57
Fake News 2017
HMFIC
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White M4 ZCP

What a bunch of quitters! it will work and don't let Homelink tell you otherwise. Some can be more troublesome than others but follow the directions from post #28 or the manual. Often very small things make all the difference. Vary the distance by very small amounts between the mirror and original remote (1" to 3") till you find the sweet spot. Placement of the remote also makes a big difference (Front, side, below, behind).

Also, don't get in a hurry with button presses during the learn phase. Give it 2 or 3 seconds between button presses on the mirror.

Lastly, some openers will only learn a given number of remotes. In my case 7, after that it won't learn anymore. 2 original and 5 Homelinks from other old, sold, traded cars put me over the limit. Had to clear all old remotes from the Genie opener and reprogram them all. Sucked but it worked!

If all else fails some dealers will send a Genius to your home to help. Mine will :-)

Good luck and don't give up!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2016, 10:05 PM   #58
MNoob
Grand Duke
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4CSL

Garage List
2024 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
2005 Lotus Elise  [10.00]
2023 BMW M4 CSL  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F83
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortseller View Post
I can confirm this also. Not per se to BMW but we just bought another brand in early '14 and it won't work with our current garage door opener. Yeah it sucks but they do give you those little car remotes, best look where you put yours back in the day.
Do you guys know if it doesn't work with the Genie Intellicode system? I can't get mine to work either.
it will work, but will take 5 years off your life getting it to work. I finally found instructions (if I remember correctly) on the genie website. you need to make sure you keep the remote a specific distance from the rear view mirror. there's also a special dance and blood offering invlolved.
      10-27-2016, 05:42 PM   #59
F10-001
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Garage opener woes fixed for me

I believe this video instruction will work with most garage door openers and HomeLink. The guy states what has been written in this thread and owners manual, but the video helps to clear up the exact sequence, and how to press the buttons on the mirror. It worked for me after 2 hours of various combinations of the manual's direction, and the suggestions here. Hope this helps/

and

This link helps to determine the location of LEARN button on Liftmaster specific openers:

http://liftmaster.custhelp.com/app/a...ge-door-opener
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2016, 09:38 AM   #60
namkyu
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by F10-001 View Post
I believe this video instruction will work with most garage door openers and HomeLink. The guy states what has been written in this thread and owners manual, but the video helps to clear up the exact sequence, and how to press the buttons on the mirror. It worked for me after 2 hours of various combinations of the manual's direction, and the suggestions here. Hope this helps/

and

This link helps to determine the location of LEARN button on Liftmaster specific openers:

http://liftmaster.custhelp.com/app/a...ge-door-opener
I have yet to get mine working. My garage opener did work with my 2012 BMW 5 series, but I haven't got to work with my 2016 M4 yet. =(

Can you tell me what you did exactly? I have tried different combinations of things as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2016, 11:04 AM   #61
Ian1973
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 15 M3

Homelink has their own website. Find that.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2016, 05:57 PM   #62
F10-001
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by namkyu View Post
I have yet to get mine working. My garage opener did work with my 2012 BMW 5 series, but I haven't got to work with my 2016 M4 yet. =(

Can you tell me what you did exactly? I have tried different combinations of things as well.
Here is what I did: Have a ladder handy.

1. clear any current programming on the mirror by pressing button 1 and 3 at the same time (wait for light to flash).

2. press button 1 on the mirror and the button on the remote at the same time (watch for light to blink quickly, if it doesnt blink quickly the frequency wasn't accepted)

3. climb the ladder and press the LEARN button on your garage door opener once.

4. Within 30 seconds, carefully climb down the ladder and press the button on the mirror in the car, the same way the guy does in the vid. up to 3 long presses of the button. for each button pressing, the light should flash rapidly. My garage door opened after the 2nd button pressing on this step.

What brand garage door opener do you have? If it's Genie, it may have to be put back in the bottle, as I see all members w/ Genie openers are having the most trouble. Mine is Liftmaster.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2016, 10:39 AM   #63
Oreganoflow
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f80

cool there's a thread for this. genie opener here too, got everything programmed after about an hour and it worked for one night. i opened it and closed it a few times to be sure, even backed out of the driveway to the street and it worked closed and back open again.

next morning going to worked, backed out of driveway... nothing. pulled closer - nothing. gave up and went back in the house to get the included remote. over it.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2016, 09:15 PM   #64
katit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80

Will see what happens. I realized I don't have remote and car wouldn't learn from pushing button on garage opener. Have remote in a mail, will see if that works
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2016, 01:05 PM   #65
RobC2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: different makes and models.

I had Genie openers in my last house. They were awful to program with several different cars. When we built this house, I made sure we went with a different brand of opener. Should know how it works out in couple of weeks when I get the M3.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2016, 08:29 PM   #66
katit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by katit View Post
Will see what happens. I realized I don't have remote and car wouldn't learn from pushing button on garage opener. Have remote in a mail, will see if that works
Have to report that After I had remote programmed all it took to move it close to the mirror and push buttons. Everything works great. Liftmaster brand
Appreciate 0