BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

06-17-2019, 05:54 PM   #485
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWModel3 View Post
I count 5:
4 red brake calipers
CF spoiler
The wheels/tires, brakes, ride height, spoiler, pedals, and badge are the only visible differences that I know of.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 06:00 PM   #486
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWsully View Post
That said, do you really think the M3 resembles the standard 3 series as much as the TM3P resembles the standard TM3?
No, of course not.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 07:47 PM   #487
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Does it even have a "Performance" badge. I thought it just had the Dual Motor badge. And is the badging red or is that like the Tesla owner equivalent of doing the ///M tri color vinyl on the front grill which drives me insane btw. The 20" wheels also look identical to the 19" wheels.
The “Dual Motor” words have a red underline, and there’s the CF spoiler. Many cars don’t have either (I have only seen 1 in the wild with those 2 items here in NorCal)

Red badging is definitely user installed paint or vinyl. Brake calipers are the most reliable tell, especially the rear. So there is essentiall 1 very subtle difference

afadeev re your e36m, I had the same situation with my f80m. Alpine white + 18s blended right in with the f30s here in Ca (wife had an f30 335 with 19s in mineral white and neighbors asked why we had 2 of the same car) and some of my colleagues saw the cloth seats and no sunroof and thought it was a 320 with aftermarket fart pipe exhaust (I never bothered to correct them and some now have a skewed impression of how hard base model 3er pull )

Last edited by nicknaz; 06-17-2019 at 07:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 03:15 AM   #488
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:
Does it even have a "Performance" badge. I thought it just had the Dual Motor badge. And is the badging red or is that like the Tesla owner equivalent of doing the ///M tri color vinyl on the front grill which drives me insane btw. The 20" wheels also look identical to the 19" wheels.
It's very hard to tell since most Performance owners don't get their dual motor decal and CF spoiler month later. I bought my car in April and I just had the CF spoiler installed by Tesla and purposely left the decal off the trunk. There's also a fair amount of non-perf owners who powder their brake caliper.
      06-19-2019, 11:15 AM   #489
ZCD1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance

It's true that the differences between the various Model 3 iterations are subtle, but some prefer the q-ship aspect - I know that I do!

I waited a long while for my spoiler to be allocated but finally had it installed the other day and I like the way the CF looks on the metallic white paint and with my new wheels. (This pic was taken before the spoiler install):

I debated about whether to have them install the "Dual Motor" badge with the red underline, but in the end had it installed.

Those in the know, know.

Those not in the know are destined to be dusted at a stoplight or in traffic!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 10:23 AM   #490
IS350
IS350 to IS-F to M3 and M4
Rep
Drives: 2015 i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCD1 View Post
It's true that the differences between the various Model 3 iterations are subtle, but some prefer the q-ship aspect - I know that I do!

I waited a long while for my spoiler to be allocated but finally had it installed the other day and I like the way the CF looks on the metallic white paint and with my new wheels. (This pic was taken before the spoiler install):

I debated about whether to have them install the "Dual Motor" badge with the red underline, but in the end had it installed.

Those in the know, know.

Those not in the know are destined to be dusted at a stoplight or in traffic!
Looks gorgeous!
Wheel size details?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 11:41 AM   #491
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
What kind of aftermarket wheels can you put on it? Do they have to be skinny? Does regular/wide wheels effect the efficiency much?
You can put a 275 wide square setup on the car.

I can’t find the thread but supposedly it’s a 20% range loss

I’m already using 300wh/mi so with 88% charge it’s 220mi range. Not very keen on the possibility of sub 180mi range so I’ve held off on switching up wheels and tires. There’s plenty of grip to awd launch on ice cars on the street in stock form
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 06:13 AM   #492
ZCD1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What kind of aftermarket wheels can you put on it? Do they have to be skinny? Does regular/wide wheels effect the efficiency much?
The hubs on the Performance version have an extra lip that must be accommodated, limiting the selection, but there are still a fair number of options.

These wheels are 20” x 9” and I’m running the OEM 235/35/20 Michelin PS4S tires. Others are running staggered setups with wheels as wide as 10.5” at the rear for looks.

I haven’t noticed any range change with my setup, though as was mentioned, significantly wider tires would definitely affect the range just like they affect MPG on an ICE vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 06:15 AM   #493
ZCD1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS350 View Post
Looks gorgeous!
Wheel size details?
Hey, thanks!

20” x 9” Stance SF03 wheels. Forged and light.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 03:20 PM   #494
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I haven’t noticed any range change with my setup, though as was mentioned, significantly wider tires would definitely affect the range just like they affect MPG on an ICE vehicle.
Same tires so makes sense no impact.

If you went to 275 wide in an r comp, you’d see an impact for sure
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 08:40 AM   #495
ZCD1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Any of you Model 3 owners worry about the increasing rate of break-ins?
Not really before and not at all after this update was beamed to all Teslas:

https://www.tesla.com/blog/sentry-mo...ing-your-Tesla
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 01:26 AM   #496
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Not really before and not at all after this update was beamed to all Teslas:

https://www.tesla.com/blog/sentry-mo...ing-your-Tesla
You'd have to be the most hardcore dip-chewing, Walmart-shopping Tesla hater to not think that's at least kinda cool.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 02:09 AM   #497
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4 View Post
You'd have to be the most hardcore dip-chewing, Walmart-shopping Tesla hater to not think that's at least kinda cool.
Smashing the corner windows of cars to try and gain access to the trunk is nothing new (at least here in the Bay Area) and the thieves are targeting expensive cars thinking that expensive items might have been left behind. Same idea with smashing into an AMG, Porsche, M, etc

Speaking of new features, check out the latest video game you can play when the car is parked. I had to wait 20 minutes for take out earlier today and played while waiting. Hopefully they get iracing on there in the future. Lol.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 02:45 AM   #498
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4 View Post
Smashing the corner windows of cars to try and gain access to the trunk is nothing new (at least here in the Bay Area) and the thieves are targeting expensive cars thinking that expensive items might have been left behind. Same idea with smashing into an AMG, Porsche, M, etc

Speaking of new features, check out the latest video game you can play when the car is parked. I had to wait 20 minutes for take out earlier today and played while waiting. Hopefully they get iracing on there in the future. Lol.
That's actually very cool. I'm not a fan of electric vehicles but even I have to admit that's an awesome feature.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 08:54 AM   #499
ZCD1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
That's actually very cool. I'm not a fan of electric vehicles but even I have to admit that's an awesome feature.
There have been several instances of Sentry mode filming thieves/vandals/random people damaging Teslas, whether intentionally or unintentionally, then getting caught later as a result of the clips.

Same thing has happened with traffic accidents - when there's video proof of exactly what happened, it's hard to argue who's at fault.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 03:21 PM   #500
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
The hubs on the Performance version have an extra lip that must be accommodated, limiting the selection, but there are still a fair number of options.
5mm spacer takes care of the hub.
No biggie.

Quote:
These wheels are 20” x 9” and I’m running the OEM 235/35/20 Michelin PS4S tires. Others are running staggered setups with wheels as wide as 10.5” at the rear for looks.

I haven’t noticed any range change with my setup
Nor should you - you are running on stock width tires!

Quote:
You can put a 275 wide square setup on the car.
I can’t find the thread but supposedly it’s a 20% range loss
Do you know what size/offset works for stuffing 275 tires on all four corners?
I'm actively shopping for a set of track wheels + tires for the TM3P right now!

Quote:
I’m already using 300wh/mi so with 88% charge it’s 220mi range. Not very keen on the possibility of sub 180mi range so I’ve held off on switching up wheels and tires. There’s plenty of grip to awd launch on ice cars on the street in stock form
I charge to 80%, so get 260 mile range (vs. 325 miles on 100%).
That's usually enough for a week worth of driving.
Traction is not an issue anywhere other than track/autoX, where the 4100 pounds of weight need all the grip they can get.

Quote:
Any of you Model 3 owners worry about the increasing rate of break-ins?
No, not really.
I live and usually park in an areas where leaving the car unlocked is not a concern, never mind the brake-ins.
Plus, if someone wanted to brake into my car, there are far more interesting options around than a small Tesla!

Quote:
There have been several instances of Sentry mode filming thieves/vandals/random people damaging Teslas, whether intentionally or unintentionally, then getting caught later as a result of the clips.
That is a funny statement. I've seen many instances of Tesla owners posting videos of dubious activity, but never any actual data of a police agency caring to act to any of it.
Based on a personal experience, my bimmer was backed into at a NYC parking lot. The driver than left the scene. The lot had the video, showed it to me, but I got exactly zero interest from NYPD to do anything about it.
It was handled as an insurance matter. Insurance company did not care about the video either.

Perhaps Cali cops and insurance adjusters have more time on their hands to watch Tesla videos ?

a

P.S.: For the record, I've tried using Sentry mode just once, and found it to be worthless for any purpose other than rapidly discharging the battery.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 04:05 PM   #501
F80 ZCP
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Farm Truck

Test drove a Model 3 Performance all wheel drive a few days ago. Sales associate allowed me to abuse the car. Oh boy. Wow. Acceleration was brutal. You can feel your brain is getting pushed back while you accelerate.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 07:52 PM   #502
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev View Post
Do you know what size/offset works for stuffing 275 tires on all four corners?
I'm actively shopping for a set of track wheels + tires for the TM3P right now!

I charge to 80%, so get 260 mile range (vs. 325 miles on 100%).
That's usually enough for a week worth of driving.
Traction is not an issue anywhere other than track/autoX, where the 4100 pounds of weight need all the grip they can get.
source
Quote:
Track Wheel+Tire Setup:

Advan RGIII Wheels
Front: 19×10 +35
Rear: 19×10 +35
Bridgestone RE71R Tires
Front: 275/35/19
Rear: 275/35/19
wow, that's great range. are you mostly city driving on flat terrain? what's the max speed you usually drive?

Yep, when I took my car to Sonoma, the PS4S tires were overwhelmed quickly and the car was cutting power on corner exit to compensate (no track mode available yet when I went)
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 10:31 PM   #503
JibSTir13
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 / FJ Cruiser

Strongly considering a Model Y Performance as a DD. Amazing straight-line performance up to local highway speeds, which is essentially 90% of my daily commute.

Not a Performance model. Blackout trim looks great.

Last edited by JibSTir13; 06-28-2019 at 10:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 02:51 PM   #504
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JibSTir13 View Post
Strongly considering a Model Y Performance as a DD..
Isn’t it projected to be 10% less range than model 3?

That’s going to potentially be sub 200 miles range real world (it would be for me, if I got 10% less than the 220mi range I get in my car (300wh/mi average consumption, charge to 88%)

Might be worth checking on upcoming electric macan specs, and/or really asking yourself if you need the suv hatch + 7 seats
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 04:30 PM   #505
JibSTir13
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 / FJ Cruiser

Quote:
Isn’t it projected to be 10% less range than model 3?

That’s going to potentially be sub 200 miles range real world (it would be for me, if I got 10% less than the 220mi range I get in my car (300wh/mi average consumption, charge to 88%)

Might be worth checking on upcoming electric macan specs, and/or really asking yourself if you need the suv hatch + 7 seats
Range will likely be less, but it may not matter for most people. Hoping there will be minor advances in battery tech, build, and software to increase range (the model 3 would benefit from some of this as well). Most of my charging will be done at home, so can top off nightly if necessary (but probably every other day at most).

Not sold on the third row seats, they looked small and there’s not much room back there. I like the shape of the Y better, and the slightly higher ride height and ground clearance will be nice.

Macan will likely be out of my budget for similar performance. Besides, Tesla’s battery and drive motor tech are way ahead of others. It’s unclear when other BEVs will even catch up to Tesla’s current levels, but for the near future, Tesla will continue to outpace the competition.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 08:45 PM   #506
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_M2 View Post
If it's doing 0-60 in 3.15 seconds then it has at least 600hp. Will obviously handle well because of the low battery and dual motor setup- better than any mid engine car. No idea how it's going to be perform on a track. Game over indeed.
There is more to handling than dual motors. To me handling is divided into these categories...

Chassis balance = under/over steer balance

Chassis rigidity

Shock damping , especially when taking a high speed sweeper with the suspension loaded up and something upsets the chassis. How well and quick does it recover?

Traction out of corners = obviously it has that down with AWD

Lateral G's
13' Audi TTRS (APR stage 1, MSS springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' M3 Interlagos Blue: 6sp, Tech.
Appreciate 0