Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

10-05-2023, 09:55 PM   #23
Theruleslawyer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 m4

Did you fit the evo xl yet? How is fitment?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2023, 12:56 PM   #24
Zulu Saffa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Them Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
R888r tires are completely worthless for track use
100%!!! Had to default to them when I could not source Hoosiers R7's and could not wait to burn them. Lost it in turn 10 at COTA which is a flat out turn/kink. No warning, no feedback, no communication, nothing. Before I knew it my rear tires overtook my front, again and again. Thank F there is a lot of room out there. Would rather run street performance tires that ever look at those again.

Internet seems to love them for some reason. Maybe they just don't work on this platform.

Be warned.
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11500.00
      10-12-2023, 01:00 PM   #25
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu Saffa View Post
100%!!! Had to default to them when I could not source Hoosiers R7's and could not wait to burn them. Lost it in turn 10 at COTA which is a flat out turn/kink. No warning, no feedback, no communication, nothing. Before I knew it my rear tires overtook my front, again and again. Thank F there is a lot of room out there. Would rather run street performance tires that ever look at those again.

Internet seems to love them for some reason. Maybe they just don't work on this platform.

Be warned.
Popular amongst the instagram and "mexico" crowd
      10-12-2023, 01:19 PM   #26
Zulu Saffa
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
Popular amongst the instagram and "mexico" crowd
Actually been running Nangkang AR1's, and for the price they are not too bad. Just need to get the PSI dialed in.

GL against Fiji this weekend!
Appreciate 1
RugbyBro7604.50
      10-12-2023, 01:37 PM   #27
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu Saffa View Post
Actually been running Nangkang AR1's, and for the price they are not too bad. Just need to get the PSI dialed in.

GL against Fiji this weekend!
Also look at CRS - they're pretty fast if times are what you're after. I'm running RE71RS next season and probably combo-ing it with V730s as a seat time tire.

Haha likewise with France... i imagine it'll be a physical affair. England don't have what it takes win it all - no creativity, no flair, no commitment to change/adapt to the faster, modern game. I love those guys but RFU needs a real kick in the butt. I'm all in for Fiji - how can anyone not be?
      10-12-2023, 02:09 PM   #28
Zulu Saffa
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
Also look at CRS - they're pretty fast if times are what you're after. I'm running RE71RS next season and probably combo-ing it with V730s as a seat time tire.

Haha likewise with France... i imagine it'll be a physical affair. England don't have what it takes win it all - no creativity, no flair, no commitment to change/adapt to the faster, modern game. I love those guys but RFU needs a real kick in the butt. I'm all in for Fiji - how can anyone not be?
Cheers, had not seen the CRS.

Yeah, have to call for Fiji, great story. Going to be tough for the Boks to topple the Frogs at home. Rassie will just have to dazzle them with his disco lights. Pretty sure IRE are going to stick it to NZ. It is their bogy side after all.

Enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2023, 01:42 PM   #29
RElias21
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 30 Jahre M3

[QUOTE="6Spd_M;30482663"]That's literally my biggest gripe! The back end moves around SO MUCH under hard braking. Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong area at the suspension and should be more focused on a proper brake setup with F/R bias adjustability.

I’m VERY novice on track (3 tracks days under my belt) and my F80 is still essentially stock, performance wise.

I’m on MP-HAS, but that’s not a track upgrade. I do have the Ferodo DS 1.11 pads on for track.

One of the things I’ve quickly noticed is how the back end is all over the place during hard braking.

This is not a track car for me though, so I can’t just go all out track inspired suspension.

Outside of a quality track oriented coilover setup, what steps should I take to start addressing this braking issue?

I do plan on installing the thrust arm monoballs this winter.

Should I consider a different set of pads or even different pads for the front and rear?

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2023, 02:04 PM   #30
jfritz27
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 CS

[QUOTE=RElias21;30576791]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6Spd_M View Post
That's literally my biggest gripe! The back end moves around SO MUCH under hard braking. Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong area at the suspension and should be more focused on a proper brake setup with F/R bias adjustability.

I’m VERY novice on track (3 tracks days under my belt) and my F80 is still essentially stock, performance wise.

I’m on MP-HAS, but that’s not a track upgrade. I do have the Ferodo DS 1.11 pads on for track.

One of the things I’ve quickly noticed is how the back end is all over the place during hard braking.

This is not a track car for me though, so I can’t just go all out track inspired suspension.

Outside of a quality track oriented coilover setup, what steps should I take to start addressing this braking issue?

Should I consider a different set of pads or even different pads for the front and rear?

Thank you!
I forget, what is your alignment -- some rear toe-in? If you don't have that, that is low hanging fruit to try.

But otherwise, excessive rear end dancing is fundamentally related to excessive forward weight transfer under braking. It's hard to get around stiffer spring/suspension as the fix for that.

The track also doesn't help. NJMP is really bad for washboarding in the hard brake zones which contributes to that issue. This was a revelation from my recent trip to VIR, where that is not the case, and by relative comparison the big braking zones felt much less dramatic than at NJMP in the same car.

I think trying to mess with brake bias with stock suspension might be asking for more trouble than its worth
Appreciate 1
RElias21565.50
      10-17-2023, 04:11 PM   #31
GuyLedouche
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82/718 GT4

[QUOTE=RElias21;30576791]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6Spd_M View Post
That's literally my biggest gripe! The back end moves around SO MUCH under hard braking. Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong area at the suspension and should be more focused on a proper brake setup with F/R bias adjustability.

Thank you!
I noticed lots of rear movement that eventually worsened to vibration. My thrust arm bushings were shot. I replaced with SPL thrust arms and the rear seemed to calm down quite a bit.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2023, 04:18 PM   #32
Theruleslawyer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 m4

I wonder if a wang would help with the rear end? Mine is dancing and makes braking more exciting than I like. It’s mostly noticeable at higher speeds, say 120 and above.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2023, 05:13 PM   #33
jfritz27
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 CS

[QUOTE=GuyLedouche;30577257]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RElias21 View Post

I noticed lots of rear movement that eventually worsened to vibration. My thrust arm bushings were shot. I replaced with SPL thrust arms and the rear seemed to calm down quite a bit.
You replaced arms in the rear, or front? I'm trying to think how putting fresh monoballs/arms in the front would improve rear end squirm...
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2023, 05:20 PM   #34
GuyLedouche
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82/718 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfritz27 View Post
You replaced arms in the rear, or front? I'm trying to think how putting fresh monoballs/arms in the front would improve rear end squirm...
Most of the weight is on the front wheels under heavy braking. With leaking fluid filled bushings on undulating surfaces it will induce yaw instability that manifests as rear end looseness.
Appreciate 0