proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - California

05-30-2017, 02:36 PM   #23
ssuene93
Major
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: '16 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by zillymc View Post
Hah so glad I found this thread as I was just experiencing the same thing!

One thing that wasn't clear - if I just want the black/legacy plates with the same exact whatever randomized # i got originally can I do that - wasn't quite clear on the forms? Or, by design, when u order a legacy plate you get a new #?
You will have to go to DMV and request to convert your personalized configuration to Legacy plate. What my situation is my old lease matured and would like to transfer and have the Legacy plate with same # on the new lease. Can't wait for the new Legacy plate to arrive, so I can reassign it to the new lease.
2009 E93 335i (ED June 2009) - Retired
2008 E60 535i (ED March 2008) - Retired
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2017, 07:34 PM   #24
daftshadow
Registered
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XE

I think the DMV changed their policy regarding personalized plates with leased cars. I ordered personalized plates 13 weeks ago, finally got the notice to pick them up. I didn't read the notice carefully but it does say that you need the authorization letter from the company (lessor) giving you permission to use the plates on the vehicle.

The guy at the DMV pointed this out on my vehicle registration card, the lessor for my car is JPMorgan Chase Bank, so I need to get a letter from them regarding this issue. Although my name is also on the registration card, just below the lessor.

For whatever it's worth, this is the DMV in downtown LA on Hope St. May be they're just strict here but the guy would not give me my plates under any circumstance w/o the letter.

Good thing I had an appt so it totally didn't waste a lot of time waiting.

Last edited by daftshadow; 09-08-2017 at 07:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2017, 08:39 PM   #25
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by daftshadow View Post
I think the DMV changed their policy regarding personalized plates with leased cars. I ordered personalized plates 13 weeks ago, finally got the notice to pick them up. I didn't read the notice carefully but it does say that you need the authorization letter from the company (lessor) giving you permission to use the plates on the vehicle.

The guy at the DMV pointed this out on my vehicle registration card, the lessor for my car is JPMorgan Chase Bank, so I need to get a letter from them regarding this issue. Although my name is also on the registration card, just below the lessor.

For whatever it's worth, this is the DMV in downtown LA on Hope St. May be they're just strict here but the guy would not give me my plates under any circumstance w/o the letter.

Good thing I had an appt so it totally didn't waste a lot of time waiting.
Yeah they may be strict. The Culver City location did not care and we have personalized legacy plates on our leases. It is weird how inconsistent they are. Either way your bank should have no problem sending you a letter.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 06:04 PM   #26
Bimmerlover123
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Specialty license plates mailed to BMW FS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
Yeah they may be strict. The Culver City location did not care and we have personalized legacy plates on our leases. It is weird how inconsistent they are. Either way your bank should have no problem sending you a letter.
Hey all, so reading this helpful thread I successfully called BMW financial services for them to issue me a letter. I'm now clicking through the online order form by selecting "no" to leased car, however I'm running into the problem that it says the license plates will be mailed to the address on DMV record, which is BMW FS somewhere on the east coast. There is no option to send it to our local DMV.

How were you guys able to get it sent to the local DMV? And have others had it sent to BMW FS and successfully had them route it to your home?

Thanks all for your help!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 06:47 PM   #27
msmching
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mini White Driving Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerlover123 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
Hey all, so reading this helpful thread I successfully called BMW financial services for them to issue me a letter. I'm now clicking through the online order form by selecting "no" to leased car, however I'm running into the problem that it says the license plates will be mailed to the address on DMV record, which is BMW FS somewhere on the east coast. There is no option to send it to our local DMV.

How were you guys able to get it sent to the local DMV? And have others had it sent to BMW FS and successfully had them route it to your home?

Thought about AAA? I did mine through them. No questions asked about lease or not.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 06:50 PM   #28
maizer89
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BSM M3 ZCP

yea like others have aid AAA will be your best friend, if you don't personally have a membership couldn't hurt to go with a friend that does to use their DMV service. just like the solution bimmerlover mentioned. AAA branch orders and ships the license plate to themselves and then calls you to pick them up and will then transfer the plate to your registration if it's customized if its sequential legacy it comes straight to you. Have had success my last 3 leases with AAA getting legacy plates.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 10:27 PM   #29
kgroschi_VerdeMantis
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M3 Verde Mantis

Weird. I did not have this issue at all with my lease registered since this APRIL. My buddy however ran into the same issue this year.
      07-10-2019, 10:32 AM   #30
L33t
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 F80

Quote:

I believe you have to pick-up from local DMV. I did pick-up mine and did some paperwork at DMV. I didn't even had to call BMW Financial services.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2019, 12:36 AM   #31
itrocks4u
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80, F36, E90

Hi

So does it go to the leasing office or will it come to local DMV office?

My car is lease but some people mentioned I should mark it as no (that it's not leased on the online form)?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 07:29 PM   #32
tetiker
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 911S

Quote:

Hi,
I am in the same process and dmv also asked me a letter from bmw.
Could you please let me know you called which number and what did you say to ask a letter?
Also did they send you a printed letter or email?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 10:00 PM   #33
tooshay
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20+M3 badge

You don’t need any permission. You just order the plates and when it comes in, just go pick it up and the DMV/AAA will register it to your car. Just return your current plates to them.
      10-05-2019, 01:22 AM   #34
tetiker
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooshay View Post
You don’t need any permission. You just order the plates and when it comes in, just go pick it up and the DMV/AAA will register it to your car. Just return your current plates to them.
Hi,
I went to DMV today and they said I need permission letter from financing company
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2019, 05:58 AM   #35
L33t
Private First Class
Rep

Did you apply online? I applied online and picked my plates after 2 months. Gave them my original plates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetiker View Post
Hi,
I went to DMV today and they said I need permission letter from financing company
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2019, 10:48 AM   #36
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

Quote:
Hi,
This person is misinformed by like 4 years. They don't require that anymore.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2019, 02:07 PM   #37
tetiker
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFNATIK View Post
This person is misinformed by like 4 years. They don't require that anymore.
I have applied online. My plates are ready to pick up.
Today I went one more time but asked for letter again.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2019, 02:13 PM   #38
L33t
Private First Class
Rep

Call bmw financial and I think they will provide you the letter. I got mine from Fremont dmv.
Quote:
I have applied online. My plates are ready to pick up.
Today I went one more time but asked for letter again.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2019, 02:14 PM   #39
tetiker
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by L33t View Post
Call bmw financial and I think they will provide you the letter. I got mine from Fremont dmv.
I am struggling with santa clara dmv.
Did you get letter from bmw?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2019, 04:10 PM   #40
Cddior91
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Should be no issue. I have personalized plates on my lease
Marketing at Silicon Valley Bimmer
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 01:31 AM   #41
itrocks4u
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80, F36, E90

Quote:
Oh man. My plates came at Santa Clara as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 01:40 AM   #42
L33t
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
No Fremont DMV didn't asked for one.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 01:49 PM   #43
aajjcc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Yes
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 02:02 PM   #44
SushiM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 ZCP M3

I saw these stories, and got a letter from BMWFS for it. When I went to pick it up they didn’t even ask for it. Los Gatos DMV.
If you’re having a hard time, just go to BMWFS online support and ask for the letter, it’ll come within a week.
Appreciate 0