GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - California

03-04-2016, 02:24 PM   #45
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNM3 View Post
I sign them "Sedan Clan". Does that work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanszilla View Post
Respect to you, a very good friend's father is a in law enforcement (LA Sheriff) until he retired last year and he lives very very well in Rancho right now.
+1

It's good to hear that he made it safely to retirement. I know some guys that make $10k a month, and they aren't even supervisors. The money is good, but the stress levels are high.

Quote:
Although you may be a very fair CHP (I'm assuming you're CHP since you drive a CHP Patrol Vehicle and you have a lot of information regarding the CHP), there are some who are on the side that abuses their power a bit more. I have been pulled over by CHP in my completely streetable track car (in NorCal) for going 72 in a 65 zone; while the flow of traffic was about 70-75; right before he pulled me over a 911 Turbo literally zoomed past me going at least 10-20 MPH faster; granted I was going a little faster than the flow of traffic, but if he wanted to ticket everyone for going faster he should have also pulled the 911 over and not just the guy in a streetable track car (which by the way did pass smog).
There is a fairly easy speculative explanation for this. While it's unfortunate that you were pulled over, I wouldn't characterize the situation as unfair or an abuse of power at all. The officer was operating well within the scope of his duties when he pulled you over. Sure, he could have gone after the 911, but he had already committed to pulling you over..........not only because you were speeding, but because he probably wanted to give your car a once-over to see if it was in compliance. I'm not sure how your streetable track car looks, but if it gave the impression that you were part of the demographic that rides around in a modified car with a bunch of violations, it was something the officer chose to look into.

Here's an analogy that I'm sure most of you can get with. Cars are like women. When a woman has big boobs and a big ass, and flaunts her curves, you take notice even when you aren't necessarily trying to. Mods are the big boobs and the big asses of the car world. You draw attention for better or for worse. If a woman doesn't want to draw attention, she covers up. If you (...speaking generally, not specifically) don't want to draw attention to your car, don't mod. With that said, many officers are car guys who appreciate a personalized sports car, so they may not choose to jam you up even when they have cause/authority to.

Last edited by Sedan_Clan; 03-04-2016 at 02:35 PM..
Appreciate 3
mahalom3163.00
      03-04-2016, 02:39 PM   #46
hanszilla
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
There is a fairly easy speculative explanation for this. While it's unfortunate that you were pulled over, I wouldn't characterize the situation as unfair or an abuse of power at all. The officer was operating well within the scope of his duties when he pulled you over. Sure, he could have gone after the 911, but he had already committed to pulling you over..........not only because you were speeding, but because he probably wanted to give your car a once-over to see if it was in compliance. I'm not sure how your streetable track car looks, but if it gave the impression that you were part of the demographic that rides around in a modified car with a bunch of violations, it was something the officer chose to look into.

Here's an analogy that I'm sure most of you can get with. Cars are like women. When a woman has big boobs and a big ass, and flaunts her curves, you take notice even when you aren't necessarily trying to. Mods are the big boobs and the big asses of the car world. You draw attention for better or for worse. If a woman doesn't want to draw attention, she covers up. If you (...speaking generally, not specifically) don't want to draw attention to your car, don't mod. With that said, many officers are car guys who appreciate a personalized sports car, so they may not choose to jam you up even when they have cause/authority to.
I agree with you when it comes to commitment, but the 911 zoomed past me before I was pulled over (we were both literally drove past the CHP on the side of the road). Maybe my car did draw attention, but I don't think it's anything excessive. Once again I have a lot of respect for what you do, and for those who doesn't seem to be power hungry, but that's the only bad experience I have (others mainly for speeding). And I do agree with your last sentence, I was clocked over 100, the officer looked at CDL, and gave me a warning to never do it again (I was maybe 19 or 20).
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 02:43 PM   #47
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
I agree with you when it comes to commitment, but the 911 zoomed past me before I was pulled over (we were both literally drove past the CHP on the side of the road). Maybe my car did draw attention, but I don't think it's anything excessive. Once again I have a lot of respect for what you do, and for those who doesn't seem to be power hungry, but that's the only bad experience I have (others mainly for speeding). And I do agree with your last sentence, I was clocked over 100, the officer looked at CDL, and gave me a warning to never do it again (I was maybe 19 or 20).
Yeah, you lucked out. In one fell swoop, that 22348(b) violation could have resulted in severe penalties for you, including a license suspension and 2 points.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 03:11 PM   #48
Account Closed
Smarty Pants
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sold

Quote:
If you're near Ventura/Callabasas area I hear the CHP there are complete *** with that right now. A buddy of mine got a fix-it last weekend in Malibu for not having a front license.
I'm totally on the side of the Police. Not having front plates on is illegal. You do something that is illegal, you have to pay for it. The law is the law....if you can't obey it, then you should pay up for it.

The other day I had a friend (ex friend actually) tell me that a ******* cop pulled him over and gave him a speeding ticket. I asked him how fast he was going, and he told me close to 90mph. I wanted to slap him myself. People are still complaining about getting speeding tickets....they should thank the Police, because one day, hopefully all those tickets will add up and make a change in the way he drives his car. There are too many innocent people dying on the freeway due to people speeding. All it takes it one person to pull in front of you without signaling and you're going to end up rear-ending him/her, or swerving into someone else.

And nothing to your comment personally, just using your comment to comment back.

I think the Police should give tickets out like candy if you have anything illegal done on your car. And don't get me wrong, I have a fully built m4 (engine, tranny, etc), but you'll never catch that car on public roads. I know better..
Appreciate 1
      03-04-2016, 03:22 PM   #49
absoluteis350
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 Singapore Grey M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Bedrosian View Post
I'm totally on the side of the Police. Not having front plates on is illegal. You do something that is illegal, you have to pay for it. The law is the law....if you can't obey it, then you should pay up for it.
?? Why ?? Why should you have to pay up for not having a front plate? What is the issue? Am I jeopardizing anyone's life?

Many laws are written with such broad strokes, that you can be found doing something illegal at any given time. Disturbing the peace ? Jay walking ? etc. Basically, it is a mechanism to allow police to pull people over if they are suspicious of other activity and want to check something out. And then you have the cops that take some of these laws like the bible, and use them just to generate revenue or to make a point. Because, honestly, what IS the point of giving someone a ticket for no front plate? So that they put the plate back on? Why? Who cares?

Quote:
The other day I had a friend (ex friend actually) tell me that a ******* cop pulled him over and gave him a speeding ticket. I asked him how fast he was going, and he told me close to 90mph. I wanted to slap him myself. People are still complaining about getting speeding tickets....they should thank the Police, because one day, hopefully all those tickets will add up and make a change in the way he drives his car. There are too many innocent people dying on the freeway due to people speeding. All it takes it one person to pull in front of you without signaling and you're going to end up rear-ending him/her, or swerving into someone else.
That's not correct. Go look at other countries with higher speed limits. And increasing speed limits in the US have met with DECREASING fatalities over time. (Primarily because of improved vehicle safety) Even what you describe has nothing to do with (some degree of) speeding, but rather driver errors/bad drivers. I estimate less than 5% of cars in highways around here adhere to the speed limit. No kidding that every accident "will involve speeding". But that is seldom the cause. Doesn't matter.. I'm not here to discuss this issue.
Appreciate 1
      03-04-2016, 03:28 PM   #50
hanszilla
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, you lucked out. In one fell swoop, that 22348(b) violation could have resulted in severe penalties for you, including a license suspension and 2 points.
Next time I get pulled over I'm going to start screaming SEDAN CLAN!!

All jokes aside I definitely lucked out on that one and I learned my lesson early on (thankfully).
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 03:29 PM   #51
Colinv6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 comp, Mexico / Opal

Wouldn't it be simpler if having a front plate was the law across the whole country? You have to have a rear so why not a front?

Seems bizarre, in the UK a number plate is no big deal, in fact cars look a bit weird without them because it's just the way we know.

It's not like the car is ruined by having a plate IMO??

Genuine question but what happens if your from a state where no plate is required and you drive into another state where a plate is required?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 03:32 PM   #52
absoluteis350
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colinv6 View Post
Wouldn't it be simpler if having a front plate was the law across the whole country? You have to have a rear so why not a front?

Seems bizarre, in the UK a number plate is no big deal, in fact cars look a bit weird without them because it's just the way we know.

It's not like the car is ruined by having a plate IMO??

Genuine question but what happens if your from a state where no plate is required and you drive into another state where a plate is required?
You guys also have "nicer" plates, not the big ass "billboards" we have here, with stupid slogans on them. Like "The spirit of America" "Live free or Die" or other nonsense. And don't even get me started on the football team/baseball team/save the whales themed plates.

In regards to your question- Then you aren't required to have one.. It's where your car is registered.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 03:33 PM   #53
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteis350 View Post
?? Why ?? Why should you have to pay up for not having a front plate? What is the issue? Am I jeopardizing anyone's life?

Many laws are written with such broad strokes, that you can be found doing something illegal at any given time. Disturbing the peace ? Jay walking ? etc. Basically, it is a mechanism to allow police to pull people over if they are suspicious of other activity and want to check something out. And then you have the cops that take some of these laws like the bible, and use them just to generate revenue or to make a point. Because, honestly, what IS the point of giving someone a ticket for no front plate? So that they put the plate back on? Why? Who cares?
For what it's worth, I think the front plate thing is silly personally. I understand why/how the front license plate is incorporated into enforcement/revenue generation however (...tolls, traffic surveillance cameras, red light cameras, license plate readers on patrol cars, etc.).

The punitive issue is simple....

....things need to be funded. Since we know that people will be stubborn and choose to do things that aren't in accordance with the law, therein lies the rub. You don't want to abide, so you'll pay. People scoff at the ticket because it's a simple mechanical violation that doesn't result in a point against your license, and is usually marked off as a correctable violation (...but it isn't always correctable, and it's officer discretion). If it's correctable, you pay a simple admin fee and you're done. If it's not correctable, you'll pay much more.

Last edited by Sedan_Clan; 03-04-2016 at 03:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 03:37 PM   #54
absoluteis350
Captain
Rep

Quote:
For what it's worth, I think the front plate thing is silly personally. I understand why/how the front license plate is incorporated into enforcement/revenue generation however (...tolls, traffic surveillance cameras, red light cameras, license plate readers on patrol cars, etc.).

The punitive issue is simple....

....things need to be funded.

But in all of your above examples, the rear plates are photographed too, as far as I am aware and from what I have seen. Toll booths read you rear plate in addition (in case you are out of state) and I'm pretty sure red light cameras do too.

And in terms of license plate readers on patrol cars, well there's no reason I need a front plate to make your toy work better.. There's no reason you can't just stick to scanning rear plates if you are just scanning innocent people.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 03:40 PM   #55
hanszilla
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

And nothing to your comment personally, just using your comment to comment back.

I think the Police should give tickets out like candy if you have anything illegal done on your car. And don't get me wrong, I have a fully built m4 (engine, tranny, etc), but you'll never catch that car on public roads. I know better..
I don't mind the cops, but some do use their authority more than others. I have no issue being pulled over if I did something wrong. Speeding is one thing, and not having a license plate is another. If you own a Porsche 918/LaFerrari/P1 would you drill your front bumper ? Granted most of our cars are not something of that caliber, but we all appreciate our cars and do not want to deface them in anyway shape or form. With that said, my daily commuters (Prius and 335i) do have front license plate installed. The other vehicles I own do not because I don't want to drill the front bumper and damage them.

And as far as speeding goes; speed is partially to blame but, another thing you should also consider is the drivers ability to handle the car, and the surrounding (don't go doing a hairpin turn in a Prius going 80). I've been on the German Autobahn outside of Leipzig with a friend of mine; I think he pulled around 170+ MPH?? and kept it there for a while, we didn't crash nor did we cause an accident. Not trying to undermine you or anything and I apologize if you take offense (nothing personal to you either,I'm also commenting on your comment), but it's not just speed that kills; it's a combination of a few different variables.

TL;DR speeding is bad, no one should think the road as their personal race track. I know it pisses me off when I see kids with their cars racing on the 73; especially after what happened on the I-5 a few weeks ago.

P.S what kind of engine work do you have done on yours ? I want to get some work done on mine when it comes in next month.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 03:43 PM   #56
Colinv6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 comp, Mexico / Opal

Quote:
You guys also have "nicer" plates, not the big ass "billboards" we have here, with stupid slogans on them. Like "The spirit of America" "Live free or Die" or other nonsense. And don't even get me started on the football team/baseball team/save the whales themed plates.

In regards to your question- Then you aren't required to have one.. It's where your car is registered.
Are the slogans on the bottom a requirement over there? Couldn't you just have a plate with the letters/numbers or do they have to be a specific overall style?

I do agree ours are probably a bit nicer, are yours metal or plastic?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 03:47 PM   #57
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colinv6 View Post
Are the slogans on the bottom a requirement over there? Couldn't you just have a plate with the letters/numbers or do they have to be a specific overall style?

I do agree ours are probably a bit nicer, are yours metal or plastic?
They are all personalized/themed metal plates. Our basic plates just say "California" on them, but our legacy plates are fairly popular.

Last edited by Sedan_Clan; 03-04-2016 at 03:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 05:16 PM   #58
Cameronc08
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.1 Turbo/F82 M4/'06 Saleen

Quote:

Holy shit! You still have some brown residue on your nose.
      03-04-2016, 05:49 PM   #59
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameronc08 View Post
Holy shit! You still have some brown residue on your nose.
He could be pro-law enforcement (...not that such a stance is inherently bad) or maybe he's just mature and accepts that his actions have consequences, and he is accountable for them instead of blaming cops for enforcing written law. Maturity isn't completely absent these days.

Last edited by Sedan_Clan; 04-06-2017 at 02:40 PM..
Appreciate 4
mahalom3163.00
      03-04-2016, 06:07 PM   #60
Cameronc08
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
He could be pro-law enforcement (...not that such a stance is inherently bad) or maybe he's just mature and accepts that his actions have consequences, and he is accountable for them instead of blaming cops for enforcing written law. Maturity isn't complete absent these days.
Come on man, I'm not gonna get into a cop debate, as I'm sure you're a cool person and we are bound to run into one another at a car meet. But being a cop is a profession that one takes voluntarily, just like being a baker or a mechanic. They aren't better people for it, or more special or above the law. That guy is clearly kissing ass for whatever reason. Handing out tickets like candy? Really? GTFO with that beta shit. Licking the taint of the written law never helped anyone get farther in life.
I understand breaking the law is a punishable offense, but if everyone bows down at will to everything written in the book, we don't progress as a society. At some point people need to stand up for what they feel is right regardless of law. It wasn't that long ago that African Americans didn't have the same privledges as white people. Should we have just accepted that because it was the law?
      03-04-2016, 06:16 PM   #61
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Come on man, I'm not gonna get into a cop debate, as I'm sure you're a cool person and we are bound to run into one another at a car meet. But being a cop is a profession that one takes voluntarily, just like being a baker or a mechanic. They aren't better people for it, or more special or above the law. That guy is clearly kissing ass for whatever reason. Handing out tickets like candy? Really? GTFO with that beta shit. Licking the taint of the written law never helped anyone get farther in life.
I understand breaking the law is a punishable offense, but if everyone bows down at will to everything written in the book, we don't progress as a society. At some point people need to stand up for what they feel is right regardless of law. It wasn't that long ago that African Americans didn't have the same privledges as white people. Should we have just accepted that because it was the law?
There is so much wrong with what you said. There is a huge difference between being a cop who puts life on the line every day and a baker!!! I guess military is just a job, too.

Picking the laws you want to obey is anarchy. That is not how civil rights were fought or achieved. You need a history lesson.
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 2
mahalom3163.00
      03-04-2016, 06:39 PM   #62
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Come on man, I'm not gonna get into a cop debate, as I'm sure you're a cool person and we are bound to run into one another at a car meet. But being a cop is a profession that one takes voluntarily, just like being a baker or a mechanic. They aren't better people for it, or more special or above the law.
Nobody implied that. Furthermore, ALL jobs are voluntary, but there is a huge difference in terms of scope, power and expectation between that of somebody who works in law enforcement and somebody who chooses a trade.

Quote:
That guy is clearly kissing ass for whatever reason. Handing out tickets like candy? Really? GTFO with that beta shit. Licking the taint of the written law never helped anyone get farther in life.
Maybe it's hyperbole. Maybe he truly feels that way. I know a lot of "letter of the law" people, so I don't read further into it than necessary.

Quote:
We're talking about vehicle code infractions surrounding a privilege (...not a right), not social/racial/civil injustices hiding behind written law. Let's keep this in perspective. That entire statement was tangential by every definition of the word.

Last edited by Sedan_Clan; 03-04-2016 at 06:44 PM..
Appreciate 1
mahalom3163.00
      03-04-2016, 07:11 PM   #63
Cameronc08
First Lieutenant
Rep

I'm playing devils advocate to a degree. I'm not trying to bash cops. I've had my expierence, and other people have had there's. Like I said I'm not saying anything particularly about you. Well just have to agree to disagree on certain subjects. It happens
      03-04-2016, 07:20 PM   #64
Cameronc08
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
There is so much wrong with what you said. There is a huge difference between being a cop who puts life on the line every day and a baker!!! I guess military is just a job, too.

Picking the laws you want to obey is anarchy. That is not how civil rights were fought or achieved. You need a history lesson.
Actually, I'm pretty sure there was some people that flat out disobeyed the law which helped in turn to shape the society we have today. And that has happened throughout history in almost every country. I'm not saying 'fuck the police' at all. But you have to stand up for things you feel are right. And I 100% get that I'm taking this topic WAY off subject, I'm not comparing front license plates to black rights. But the principle is the same. If the government decides to take away our second amendment, which is a very possible outcome in the near future, do we sit back and take it because the law is the law? I'm fully aware I'm comparing apples and oranges here, but again I feel the concept is the same. Just some food for thought, not trying to bash anyone for what they do or believe in.
      03-05-2016, 03:44 AM   #65
Account Closed
Smarty Pants
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sold

Quote:

That's not correct. Go look at other countries with higher speed limits. And increasing speed limits in the US have met with DECREASING fatalities over time. (Primarily because of improved vehicle safety) Even what you describe has nothing to do with (some degree of) speeding, but rather driver errors/bad drivers. I estimate less than 5% of cars in highways around here adhere to the speed limit. No kidding that every accident "will involve speeding". But that is seldom the cause. Doesn't matter.. I'm not here to discuss this issue.
Well my friend, I agree without on some things, but I disagree with you on most other things. The law in California says you need plates in the front and back, so that Police officers can identify you from the front and rear...not doing so should result in a ticket. I'm all for it....doesn't matter what the reason is behind it, it isn't going to kill you, but it will help to identify the vehicle. And yes, it is a reason for them to pull you over...and that is a good thing. There's a lot of shit going down nowadays, cops should be all over people. If you ain't doin' anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about.

Don't know the exact statistics, but I personally know 3 people who were very close to me....all died in a car accident on the freeway in Los Angeles. One burned to death, and the other two had their necks snap in half from the impact. All three drivers who killed my friends were sober, just driving fast on the freeway...and 1 of them didn't have plates in the front, nor rear...so he got away with it. <----perfect reason why everyone should have plates in the front and rear.

For those who don't put plates on after they receive them should be arrested in my opinion. You might think it's all fun and games, but that is a perfect reason for someone to do something illegal and think he can get away with it...since there is no way of identifying the vehicle. Both should be on....the law is the law.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2016, 09:39 AM   #66
Egrunt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 (F90), Tacoma, GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ryder55 View Post
A bunch of bored college dropouts that partied too much in high school and couldn't make it through a real college education system. So they decided to be cops and use their power trips to make up for their shit lives. And we are forced to be respectful to them when we get pulled over and apologize and call them sir. Bitch I spent 7 years in college and got a BS and an MS. They should call me big papa. Say what u want it's my opinion. Fuck cops that give fix it tickets only. They are the worse.

I got my ticket signed off yesterday by chp in woodland hills, the guy was cool but came out and looked for a clean minute at my tow hook. Was pulled over leaving in n out in porter ranch on a Saturday Night at 9pm 5 months ago. For absolutely no other reason.
Sedan_Clan has already responded to this but I feel compelled to as well. My personal story, I retired from the United States Marine Corps after 20 years of service in 2004. I was a helicopter crew chief / mechanic for the UH-1N (Huey) and AH-1W super cobra platform. I completed my BA in criminal justice administration while on active duty in between deployments overseas. I acquired my air frames and power plants (A&P) certificate so that I can work on civilian / commercial aircraft which is required by the FAA. So I had options when I transitioned into retirement from the military.

In the 90's while being stationed at Quantico Virginia I worked with almost every three letter federal law enforcement agency in training in defensive pistol tactics. I was offered an opportunity to become a auxiliary police officer and I accepted after being found qualified through the screening process. The department sent me to the regional police academy and upon graduation I was assigned an FTO (Field Training Officer) and then I was released as single person unit. The only difference is I did not get paid.

I have been working as a police officer since retirement from the military going on 12 years. The last 6 years I have been assigned to the TSU (Traffic Services Unit) section as a motor officer. I can tell you that when I applied with my PD there where over 600 applicants for 8 positions. My departments requires an AA or military service at a minimum to start the hiring process. We had 5 new officers complete the police academy and 4 had BA's and one has a MS.

As a motor officer my mission is accident investigation and traffic enforcement. I understand that most will not agree with the front plate and tinted windows section of the CVC (California Vehicle Code). Those that commit the above violations are giving every LEO in California PC (probable cause) to make a traffic enforcement stop.

I respect your opinion but your facts of those that are getting hired are not correct.

Last edited by Egrunt; 03-06-2016 at 06:55 AM..
Appreciate 1