Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

07-16-2022, 12:01 PM   #1
rcodea
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C

Technical Question: F8x Manual remote start...No options?!

Hello all,

I am looking for an option to add/retrofit a remote start onto my '19 M2C Manual. From what I can tell, there are no options...presumably because there isn't a way to confirm trans is in neutral and mimic the clutch depress. I am admittedly ignorant on the required inputs needed for the vehicle to start; but understand that much of BMWs systems are CANBUS inputs, so programing and piggybacking should work with the right combinations.

There is an option for the automatic crowd, but in talking with Bimmer-Tech, seems only 10 or so people inquire about it monthly, which i gather is not enough to justify the development. Understandably, when i inquired over the phone, was told 'it took us 4 years to develop the auto version, and with the manual it isnt possible without a complete new design to our auto product.'

That leads me to this real question...those with technical knowledge of the start sequence on the manuals....what is needed? What is different about the auto vs manual cars...aside from the clutch and gear inputs?

From the Bimmer-Tech site:
"
Quote:
The BMW remote start retrofit is compatible with most F-Series BMWs produced after 2012 with automatic transmission and FEM, CAS4, BDC1 modules.
"

So I assume the manual doesnt have one or more of the modules described above? Can it be attempted to develop a solution using something like the retrofit from Bimmer-Tech and modify it accordingly? Is there another option/company with or working on a solution?

Thanks in advance!

~Ryan
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2022, 12:03 PM   #2
kubax86
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
No_Country
Rep

Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcodea View Post
Hello all,

I am looking for an option to add/retrofit a remote start onto my '19 M2C Manual. From what I can tell, there are no options...presumably because there isn't a way to confirm trans is in neutral and mimic the clutch depress. I am admittedly ignorant on the required inputs needed for the vehicle to start; but understand that much of BMWs systems are CANBUS inputs, so programing and piggybacking should work with the right combinations.

There is an option for the automatic crowd, but in talking with Bimmer-Tech, seems only 10 or so people inquire about it monthly, which i gather is not enough to justify the development. Understandably, when i inquired over the phone, was told 'it took us 4 years to develop the auto version, and with the manual it isnt possible without a complete new design to our auto product.'

That leads me to this real question...those with technical knowledge of the start sequence on the manuals....what is needed? What is different about the auto vs manual cars...aside from the clutch and gear inputs?

From the Bimmer-Tech site:
"
Quote:
The BMW remote start retrofit is compatible with most F-Series BMWs produced after 2012 with automatic transmission and FEM, CAS4, BDC1 modules.
"

So I assume the manual doesnt have one or more of the modules described above? Can it be attempted to develop a solution using something like the retrofit from Bimmer-Tech and modify it accordingly? Is there another option/company with or working on a solution?

Thanks in advance!

~Ryan

Well there are solution which are Chinese one - same as you're looking at
Really don't recommend getting something like that.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2022, 12:27 PM   #3
rcodea
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubax86 View Post
Well there are solution which are Chinese one - same as you're looking at
Really don't recommend getting something like that.
can you elaborate a bit? What is needed? What is missing/required for the manuals? What companies are working on it, or have an alternate product available?

~Ryan
Appreciate 0