Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

11-25-2020, 01:34 PM   #45
Chris@VargasTurboTech
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: All Things TurboCharged

Hundreds in the field, 5 stock motor cars in the 9's, better spool and response at a price that isn't gouging. How to make it better? Holiday sales...

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=26939898

Have a good (and safe!) one!

Chris
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 02:23 PM   #46
M2C_OZ
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by aBMWfan View Post
I suggest going with different turbos if you want to avoid headache. Some have good experience but it’s inconsistent at best. A box of chocolates with these
How was your experience with the turbos ? Or you are just going with what people say in the forums?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 02:49 PM   #47
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Scraper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///BMW Junkie View Post
Fuel supplement: didn't understand, are you suggesting PI over meth?
The technical concepts can be confusing, but it'll be better for your own benefit:

Port Injection (PI) as in Intake Manifold - Port Injected fuel supplement
* Even fuel distribution across all 6 cylinders
* Can be used with any fuel type, but mainly with lower density alcohol-based fuels, such as, ethanol and methanol.
* Usually controlled using a batch-fire piggyback system like AIC6 and JB4
>> No known issues with either controller, but certain enthusiasts and those with super serious race builds aren't too fond of this configuration.

* Motiv Motorsport recently announced an I/O controller that can supposedly integrate with the factory DME, and possibly have sequential injection control.

Meth Injection
* For the S55, and many other engine platforms, this usually means feeding methanol into the Charge Pipes (Pre-IC), Charge Air Cooler (for certain units), J-pipe, or Throttle Body (TBI)
* Some use this configuration for cooling the charge air (recommended), while others use this configuration as a cheap alternative to PI
* No matter how the meth feed is installed, everything has to enter through the throttle body (except for PI using meth fuel; see above)
>> This creates an uneven meth distribution in Cylinders 4 and 5, which is why it's not the most ideal way to supplement fuel.

Last edited by FriedPiston; 11-25-2020 at 03:27 PM..
Appreciate 3
      11-25-2020, 03:24 PM   #48
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2C_OZ View Post
How was your experience with the turbos ? Or you are just going with what people say in the forums?
I have first hand experience with:

Kratos = solid DBB turbos with smooth runners on turbofold, super fancy packaging, good customer service (very reasonable); never installed, sold to someone who put them to better use.

GC+ = cheapest option of the bunch, but I'm very happy with how they perform over the last 900+ miles. Packaging was nothing fancy, but was appropriately filled with packing peanuts.

You'll need an aftermarket intake, as well as, trim the Bank 1 silicone inlet tube. Or you can do a DIY improvisation to the factory intake tube using PVC piping. VTT recommends aftermarket intakes for obvious airflow reasons. I've heard of others needing to bend the factory heatshield for fitment. However, I had a local shop install my set, and they didn't mention anything about the heatshield.

Some people are probably not going to like hearing this, but I compared the turbofold with the Kratos units, and honestly couldn't tell the difference from a visual observation. Both look very similar.

Received a pair with very minor machining imperfection on the turbine housing, in which, Tony offered to swap locally. In my experience, Tony has always been responsive and professional via email.

PS2 HF = good top-end performance, time to torque was a bit slow for my liking, developed a major oil leak after ~30k miles (expected due to type of use); sent to Pure for a full rebuild before selling them.

A+ customer service from Pure, but packaging was only decent using industrial grade dual-corrugated cardboard and some thermoform foam packaging that left a section of the units exposed. For reference, I sent the turbos using a brand new 7-gallon heavy duty Home Depot tote with 2-3 inches of bubble wrap.

Last edited by FriedPiston; 11-25-2020 at 03:30 PM..
Appreciate 7
      11-25-2020, 03:32 PM   #49
M2C_OZ
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedPiston View Post
Quote:

Kratos = solid DBB turbos with smooth runners on turbofold, super fancy packaging, good customer service (very reasonable); never installed, sold to someone who put them to better use.

GC+ = cheapest option of the bunch, but I'm very happy with how they perform over the last 900+ miles. Packaging was nothing fancy, but was appropriately filled with packing peanuts.

You'll need an aftermarket intake, as well as, trim the Bank 1 silicone inlet tube. Or you can do a DIY improvisation to the factory intake tube using PVC piping. VTT recommends aftermarket intakes for obvious airflow reasons. I've heard of others needing to bend the factory heatshield for fitment. However, I had a local shop install my set, and they didn't mention anything about the heatshield.

Some people are probably not going to like hearing this, but I compared the turbofold with the Kratos units, and honestly couldn't tell the difference from a visual observation. Both look very similar.

Received a pair with very minor machining imperfection on the turbine housing, in which, Tony offered to swap locally. In my experience, Tony has always been responsive and professional via email.

PS2 HF = good performance, time to torque was a bit slow for my liking, developed a major oil leak after ~30k miles; sent to Pure for a full rebuild before selling them.

A+ customer service from Pure, but packaging was only decent using industrial grade dual-corrugated cardboard and some thermoform foam packaging that left a section of the units exposed -- I sent the turbos using a brand new 7-gallon heavy duty Home Depot tote with 2-3 inches of bubble wrap.
Thanks for the detailed explanation brotha 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 03:35 PM   #50
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the detailed explanation brotha 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
Just doing my part to share first hand knowledge, as opposed to opinions based on hearsay
Appreciate 6
      11-25-2020, 11:14 PM   #51
Shadow2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 MG F80 M3

The + are ball bearing right?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 01:59 PM   #52
Chris@VargasTurboTech
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: All Things TurboCharged

No sir. Journal bearing. Tried & true tech that works very well and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
Appreciate 1
Shadow2121.00
      11-26-2020, 02:26 PM   #53
Maxf80M3
Boost Addict
Canada
Rep
Drives: YMB F80 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow2 View Post
The + are ball bearing right?
The oem turbo's are journal bearing as well.
      11-27-2020, 03:29 AM   #54
luchocamp
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 18 BMW M2LPower

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedPiston View Post

PS2 HF = good top-end performance, time to torque was a bit slow for my liking, developed a major oil leak after ~30k miles (expected due to type of use); sent to Pure for a full rebuild before selling them.

A+ customer service from Pure, but packaging was only decent using industrial grade dual-corrugated cardboard and some thermoform foam packaging that left a section of the units exposed. For reference, I sent the turbos using a brand new 7-gallon heavy duty Home Depot tote with 2-3 inches of bubble wrap.
good to hear your experience related to turbos
instagram @luchocampusano YouTube Lucho Campusano
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 09:48 PM   #55
hay-M2C
Registered
Israel
Rep
Drives: bmw m2 competition 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxf80M3 View Post
My Gc's ran 5.8 from 100-200 km and Im still tweaking revisions . These turbos are the best bang for the buck .

Just 93 pump no meth ....yet
Wow!! 5.80 it’s amazing , very fast for 93oct
Can you write please how much boost and ign you ride ?
There is no a lot of timing corrections?

My goal is run high 5 sec with 93oct 😍 help me understand how you doing that, I need install and tune my GCs in next week
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2022, 09:49 AM   #56
Tymula_81
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 528 xdrive

Gc turbos

I had mine installed in January and the turbos are great for the price. I did run into a problem with the rear turbo sometimes when not in boost and i floor it it will stay closed. All i would have to do is turn the car off then back on and it's good. These are my numbers with the gc's and 100% meth on e70. Currently installing port injection,lpfp and the reflex controller. I retune on aug 4 will update
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2022, 10:06 AM   #57
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymula_81 View Post
I had mine installed in January and the turbos are great for the price. I did run into a problem with the rear turbo sometimes when not in boost and i floor it it will stay closed. All i would have to do is turn the car off then back on and it's good. These are my numbers with the gc's and 100% meth on e70. Currently installing port injection,lpfp and the reflex controller. I retune on aug 4 will update

Do you know whats causing this issue?

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2022, 05:23 AM   #58
Tymula_81
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 528 xdrive

Hey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Quote:

Do you know whats causing this issue?
The shop said the wastegate is sticking
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2022, 09:28 AM   #59
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
The shop said the wastegate is sticking
Got it

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2023, 07:50 AM   #60
M4GUY2015
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i, BMW M4

Vargas GC Max Turbos

When are the new maxx gonna be released ? i been waiting and quarter 2 -3 of 2023 is now i do believe .... mine are paid for and my car is currently down csause i been waiting for these
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2023, 06:24 PM   #61
M4GUY2015
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

New vargas gc maxx are garbage

Hello everyone i usally dont post on here but i have to share my horrible experiemce with the company Vargas and their GCMAXX turbos.

So to start off i order these in January which if you read on their website you could preorder cause they are releasing them Quarter 2/3 of 2023 so after waiting for 5 months i finnally got them in August and install them the last week of August.

Now i follow their install instructions to the letter and i even went as far as breaking in the turbos with an extra 500 miles on top of the 500 mile break end cause i dont want them coming back and saying they were install correctly!

so now fast forward a month with a 93 tune at 29 /30 psi on a built motor and all the extra boltons , with no racing what so ever the car ran fine except when i stopped at a friends shop to chat the car set idle for 10 minutes so when i decided to leave i hear this loud whistling sound and no power so luckyily i was 5 minutes from home called my mechanic he came over after hours and we inspected and found the fins blades were spinning fine no seizure full movement. then we decided to take the back turbo out in which we did and inspected and no damage what so ever everything was in tact and moving as it should ..

so i contacted the vendor i go tthe turbos through ENJUKU RACING in which this company is by far top notch to deal with customer service is on point. now i had to reach out to Vargas for a RMA and fill out their repair form . did that in all in good faith i shipped the turbo 2 day air on oct 4th 2023 an dit was delivered on oct 6th 2023 so after waiting a week cause they was not letting me know they got it.. i reaached out and guess what they didnt even checked to see if they got it as i sent them the tracking when i got the tracking number that day... so they telling me tey dont see it send them the rma order form and the tracking i told them i already did but i sent it again. Now they teold me oh its gonna take 2 weeks for them to look at it and see what happen... so mind you on the 3rd week i tried emailing no response , calling is out they never pick up the phone finnally i text the number someone responded .. and wa slike email us . im like i effing did yall dont respond .. so again fast forward i had enjuku racing reach out and they explain that i had alot of car events coming up and wanted to know what was their eta. So here is where it gets awesome..

They email me and Enjuku back and said they will expedite this as the owner Tony is a big car person and he understands ..i call bul shit cause here i am damn near January and still no turbo because they failed to check to see if they had a CHRA kit in which im still baffled as to why you have to rebuild a brand new turbo that just came out in which they keep correcting me and saying that my turbos were not brand new. so guess what they are liars their product is shit and i already yanked them out and will be shiping the one turbo back to the vendor in which they agreed that Vargas customer service and what i went through shouldnt have happen and they are making it right.. so my tuner convinced me to go with a different set up and im just waiting for the turbos to come in... So if you got negative things to say about my post feel free i just wanted to express my experience .And i know if Vargas read this i know they have their version but emails dont lie and the vendor will back my story 100 percent! So again thank you to Enjuku Racing Chris for being the rockstar in all of this .
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2023, 06:26 PM   #62
M4GUY2015
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garbage and customer service sucks to

Hello everyone i usally dont post on here but i have to share my horrible experiemce with the company Vargas and their GCMAXX turbos.

So to start off i order these in January which if you read on their website you could preorder cause they are releasing them Quarter 2/3 of 2023 so after waiting for 5 months i finnally got them in August and install them the last week of August.

Now i follow their install instructions to the letter and i even went as far as breaking in the turbos with an extra 500 miles on top of the 500 mile break end cause i dont want them coming back and saying they were install correctly!

so now fast forward a month with a 93 tune at 29 /30 psi on a built motor and all the extra boltons , with no racing what so ever the car ran fine except when i stopped at a friends shop to chat the car set idle for 10 minutes so when i decided to leave i hear this loud whistling sound and no power so luckyily i was 5 minutes from home called my mechanic he came over after hours and we inspected and found the fins blades were spinning fine no seizure full movement. then we decided to take the back turbo out in which we did and inspected and no damage what so ever everything was in tact and moving as it should ..

so i contacted the vendor i go tthe turbos through ENJUKU RACING in which this company is by far top notch to deal with customer service is on point. now i had to reach out to Vargas for a RMA and fill out their repair form . did that in all in good faith i shipped the turbo 2 day air on oct 4th 2023 an dit was delivered on oct 6th 2023 so after waiting a week cause they was not letting me know they got it.. i reaached out and guess what they didnt even checked to see if they got it as i sent them the tracking when i got the tracking number that day... so they telling me tey dont see it send them the rma order form and the tracking i told them i already did but i sent it again. Now they teold me oh its gonna take 2 weeks for them to look at it and see what happen... so mind you on the 3rd week i tried emailing no response , calling is out they never pick up the phone finnally i text the number someone responded .. and wa slike email us . im like i effing did yall dont respond .. so again fast forward i had enjuku racing reach out and they explain that i had alot of car events coming up and wanted to know what was their eta. So here is where it gets awesome..

They email me and Enjuku back and said they will expedite this as the owner Tony is a big car person and he understands ..i call bul shit cause here i am damn near January and still no turbo because they failed to check to see if they had a CHRA kit in which im still baffled as to why you have to rebuild a brand new turbo that just came out in which they keep correcting me and saying that my turbos were not brand new. so guess what they are liars their product is shit and i already yanked them out and will be shiping the one turbo back to the vendor in which they agreed that Vargas customer service and what i went through shouldnt have happen and they are making it right.. so my tuner convinced me to go with a different set up and im just waiting for the turbos to come in... So if you got negative things to say about my post feel free i just wanted to express my experience .And i know if Vargas read this i know they have their version but emails dont lie and the vendor will back my story 100 percent! So again thank you to Enjuku Racing Chris for being the rockstar in all of this .
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2023, 06:50 PM   #63
M4GUY2015
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

GARBAGE

Appreciate 0