INDustry distribution
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-22-2013, 05:31 PM   #1
bojanis
Enlisted Member
bojanis's Avatar
United_States
3
Rep
44
Posts

Drives: '07 328Ci, M Sport
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: VA,USA

iTrader: (0)

Is E9X 335i and 335is naturally to be replaced by F8X M3/M4 ???

Just wondering, are you guys, the lucky E9X 335i and 335is owners are feeling like it is more natural to step up to a F8X M3/M4? As all those are i6 forced induction.
I remember i had a post back in april 2011 mentioning this.
And current E9X M3 guys, do you thing it'll be a harsh transition to lose two cylinders and a extra 1000 revs and replace them with turbos and a few pounds ( kg ) less?.......just brainstorming at this point......have a happy holidays friends
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 05:52 PM   #2
solstice
Brigadier General
859
Rep
4,014
Posts

Drives: 2015 M3 6MT
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

For me, yes. I think it will take a while to get over the loss of the S65. Actually I have resigned to that I will likely never like the S55 as much as the S65 but I think I can come to like the new car as much as I like the current one and the change in itself, something new and fresh will make up for some of what I suspect will be an overall less special car. I think it will be a fun car but not as special. I'm ready to jump ship to the new car but I'm also prepared for significant downgrades in some areas for sure.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 06:00 PM   #3
Ezio
Brigadier General
Ezio's Avatar
United_States
183
Rep
3,843
Posts

Drives: 2016 Range Rover sport
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: MI

iTrader: (0)

i have been saying this for quite some time. the 335i owners are loving the new M4. because the M4 is much more similar to a 335i than a E92 m3. in fact they will probably sound some what the same.

i came to BMW M for this S65 engine. i love the high revs and sound the car made. for me its very very tough to move into a engine that will not give me the same emotion.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 06:15 PM   #4
T3X4S
Second Lieutenant
T3X4S's Avatar
6
Rep
246
Posts

Drives: 2013 E92 MW M3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: DFW

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
I owned a 335i before moving to the M3. My main gripe with the 335i N54 was the turbo lag. I like the looks of the new F8x gen M3/4. I just hope that the S55 doesn't have the same lag issue (which is supposedly reduced per the recent reviews), but we really won't know until a lot more regular folks get to drive the cars.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 06:18 PM   #5
BMWJ
Lieutenant
56
Rep
480
Posts

Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

I know someone going from 335is to M235 - felt the 4 series has gotten to big.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 07:02 PM   #6
Needsdecaf
Everything's Bigger in Texas!
United_States
701
Rep
3,309
Posts

Drives: Porsche Tractor
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The Woodlands, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
i have been saying this for quite some time. the 335i owners are loving the new M4. because the M4 is much more similar to a 335i than a E92 m3. in fact they will probably sound some what the same.

i came to BMW M for this S65 engine. i love the high revs and sound the car made. for me its very very tough to move into a engine that will not give me the same emotion.
k see ya bye.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 07:04 PM   #7
Needsdecaf
Everything's Bigger in Texas!
United_States
701
Rep
3,309
Posts

Drives: Porsche Tractor
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The Woodlands, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojanis View Post
Just wondering, are you guys, the lucky E9X 335i and 335is owners are feeling like it is more natural to step up to a F8X M3/M4? As all those are i6 forced induction.
I remember i had a post back in april 2011 mentioning this.
And current E9X M3 guys, do you thing it'll be a harsh transition to lose two cylinders and a extra 1000 revs and replace them with turbos and a few pounds ( kg ) less?.......just brainstorming at this point......have a happy holidays friends
By the way, here's an 8 page thread that brings up the same point you asked above. Not to mention just about every thread devolves into this ridiculous debate. But the grenade lobed in the room is appreciated....happy holidays!

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=924673
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 08:56 PM   #8
435iaffair
Private First Class
6
Rep
187
Posts

Drives: 435i, Z4M, M157 E63
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: San Marino, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 435i  [4.50]
Yes
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 09:20 PM   #9
Sedan_Clan
Olympic Lifting Junkie
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
Brazil
1765
Rep
13,630
Posts

Drives: '17 Nardo Grey M4
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

iTrader: (26)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
i have been saying this for quite some time. the 335i owners are loving the new M4. because the M4 is much more similar to a 335i than a E92 m3. in fact they will probably sound some what the same.

i came to BMW M for this S65 engine. i love the high revs and sound the car made. for me its very very tough to move into a engine that will not give me the same emotion.
k see ya bye.
Watch that dude end up with an S55 powered ///M car.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2013, 03:43 AM   #10
paddy335
Major
61
Rep
1,131
Posts

Drives: M140i;X5 40d
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New Zealand

iTrader: (0)

Op you assume we all have some kind of tribal allegiance to our engine architecture....well some do i suppose, like ezio....but I suggest the majority of us are just car enthusiasts who dont really give a rats arse what the engine is, provided it satisfies whatever we need in a car.

For example I'd prefer the new car to be NA but accept it isnt and will consider it along with other options, incl CSL and GT3.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2013, 08:28 AM   #11
Alessandro
Major
Alessandro's Avatar
Serbia
46
Rep
1,016
Posts

Drives: 335is 11 ret. Audi S5 2015
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canada

iTrader: (8)

Garage List
2011 335is  [4.75]
Send a message via Skype™ to Alessandro
Yes preordered my M4
__________________
15 Audi S5 GIAC Stage 2 white
11 E92 335is DCT FBO 441 whp silver
08 E92 335i FBO 6MT 427 whp space grey
05 E46 M3 red
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2013, 10:54 AM   #12
JTO24
Got an 8:30 res at Dorsia
JTO24's Avatar
United_States
1878
Rep
3,932
Posts

Drives: 2018 AW M2 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: South Jersey

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy335 View Post
Op you assume we all have some kind of tribal allegiance to our engine architecture....well some do i suppose, like ezio....but I suggest the majority of us are just car enthusiasts who dont really give a rats arse what the engine is, provided it satisfies whatever we need in a car.

For example I'd prefer the new car to be NA but accept it isnt and will consider it along with other options, incl CSL and GT3.
This- I'm still a few years away from my next car purchase but speculation is always fun My list of next cars is boring and typical: GT-R, 991 c2(s), F8x, new c63, rc-F, B9 RS4/5... these engines couldn't be more different from each other but I'm still excited to drive every one of them
__________________
CURRENT: 2018 F87 M2 6MT | Alpine White | Exec.
GONE: 2016 981 Cayman 6MT | Jet Black | X73 Sport Suspension
2015 F80 M3 DCT | Tanzanite Blue | Gold Brown | OEM+
2013 E92 M3 6MT | Mineral White | Fox Red/Black | OEM+
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2013, 10:57 AM   #13
gblansten
Beandoc
gblansten's Avatar
United_States
715
Rep
3,190
Posts

Drives: 2017 BMW X5M DG/AB
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Thick ascending limb

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
i have been saying this for quite some time. the 335i owners are loving the new M4. because the M4 is much more similar to a 335i than a E92 m3. in fact they will probably sound some what the same.

i came to BMW M for this S65 engine. i love the high revs and sound the car made. for me its very very tough to move into a engine that will not give me the same emotion.
I also love the S65 engine. But I also has fun with the M156 in my former C63 AMG.

You will know if you will like the upcoming M on a test drive. That torque combined with a lighter curb weight is likely going to be good for some serious grins.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 05:32 AM   #14
bojanis
Enlisted Member
bojanis's Avatar
United_States
3
Rep
44
Posts

Drives: '07 328Ci, M Sport
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: VA,USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
By the way, here's an 8 page thread that brings up the same point you asked above. Not to mention just about every thread devolves into this ridiculous debate. But the grenade lobed in the room is appreciated....happy holidays!

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=924673
I know that this has been a hot topic ever since the I6 TT M3/4 were announced. And I did mention that this is something I've noted back in 2011 in one of my threads so just thought it was a good time to start a new thread about this. Thanks for joining buddy.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 05:34 AM   #15
bojanis
Enlisted Member
bojanis's Avatar
United_States
3
Rep
44
Posts

Drives: '07 328Ci, M Sport
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: VA,USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessandro View Post
Yes preordered my M4

Awesome, congrats man. Let us know how it is when you get it
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 05:35 AM   #16
bojanis
Enlisted Member
bojanis's Avatar
United_States
3
Rep
44
Posts

Drives: '07 328Ci, M Sport
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: VA,USA

iTrader: (0)


Quote:
Originally Posted by 435iaffair View Post
Yes
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 05:40 AM   #17
bojanis
Enlisted Member
bojanis's Avatar
United_States
3
Rep
44
Posts

Drives: '07 328Ci, M Sport
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: VA,USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
i have been saying this for quite some time. the 335i owners are loving the new M4. because the M4 is much more similar to a 335i than a E92 m3. in fact they will probably sound some what the same.

i came to BMW M for this S65 engine. i love the high revs and sound the car made. for me its very very tough to move into a engine that will not give me the same emotion.
I hear you man, and do agree with you. I've always been a fan of high revving engines. I use to have Honda Prelude with a Mugen ECM and some other upgrades....rev'd 10.5k...not for long though . ....nevertheless, all the manufacturers that use to have high revving mills are downsizing and adding turbos and result is a lower rpm range. Must say that BMW did pretty good by keeping the revs still high enough. But, look, Ferrari did the same with new California T, Honda is doing the same with the new Civic Type R. This is a new trend and manufacturers are also pushed into this by harsh emission regulations mandated by governments.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 04:09 AM   #18
Maddict3
Major
Maddict3's Avatar
150
Rep
1,294
Posts

Drives: 2015 991 GT3
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Miami

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
i have been saying this for quite some time. the 335i owners are loving the new M4. because the M4 is much more similar to a 335i than a E92 m3. in fact they will probably sound some what the same.

i came to BMW M for this S65 engine. i love the high revs and sound the car made. for me its very very tough to move into a engine that will not give me the same emotion.

I always laugh when I see your comments. It seems like you're the only person on the boards that have driven the M4 extensively to say its engine won't give you the same emotion.

I've said this before I think both 335i and E92 M3 owners will be loving the new M4 once they see how the M4 demolishes the E92 in every department. Take a look at F10 M5 owners and tell me which one prefers the E60 over the F10?

You will become a fan boy of the M4 and complain about something when the next gen M4 will be out. Thats what fan boys do.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 04:30 AM   #19
Ezio
Brigadier General
Ezio's Avatar
United_States
183
Rep
3,843
Posts

Drives: 2016 Range Rover sport
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: MI

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
i have been saying this for quite some time. the 335i owners are loving the new M4. because the M4 is much more similar to a 335i than a E92 m3. in fact they will probably sound some what the same.

i came to BMW M for this S65 engine. i love the high revs and sound the car made. for me its very very tough to move into a engine that will not give me the same emotion.

I always laugh when I see your comments. It seems like you're the only person on the boards that have driven the M4 extensively to say its engine won't give you the same emotion.

I've said this before I think both 335i and E92 M3 owners will be loving the new M4 once they see how the M4 demolishes the E92 in every department. Take a look at F10 M5 owners and tell me which one prefers the E60 over the F10?

You will become a fan boy of the M4 and complain about something when the next gen M4 will be out. Thats what fan boys do.
It make sense what you say. Probably 9 times out of 10 you would be right about current e92 m owners. I am telling you I am different. Go look at my first thread I made here On m3 post . It talks about how i only like v8 engines. It's as simple as that. I love the sound and power. That is what emotion is to me. Same reason why I am most likely switching to a v8 powered GM car next.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 02:29 PM   #20
Maddict3
Major
Maddict3's Avatar
150
Rep
1,294
Posts

Drives: 2015 991 GT3
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Miami

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
It make sense what you say. Probably 9 times out of 10 you would be right about current e92 m owners. I am telling you I am different. Go look at my first thread I made here On m3 post . It talks about how i only like v8 engines. It's as simple as that. I love the sound and power. That is what emotion is to me. Same reason why I am most likely switching to a v8 powered GM car next.
Fair enough.

V8 are great engines but lets not take away how good the S55 will be, at least not until we all get a chance to drive it.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 09:25 PM   #21
Sedan_Clan
Olympic Lifting Junkie
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
Brazil
1765
Rep
13,630
Posts

Drives: '17 Nardo Grey M4
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

iTrader: (26)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojanis View Post
Just wondering, are you guys, the lucky E9X 335i and 335is owners are feeling like it is more natural to step up to a F8X M3/M4? As all those are i6 forced induction.
I remember i had a post back in april 2011 mentioning this.
And current E9X M3 guys, do you thing it'll be a harsh transition to lose two cylinders and a extra 1000 revs and replace them with turbos and a few pounds ( kg ) less?.......just brainstorming at this point......have a happy holidays friends
I think less about HOW the power is made, and more about the fact that the performance envelope will eclipse that of the previous car (..which is all that you can really ask for right???). I could care less about the fact that the new car isn't a V8 and that the new I6 redline is 1000 RPM's lower. An M car, to me, is more than the sum of these relatively minor changes.

P.S. The car is more than just a few pounds less.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 05:06 PM   #22
ss134
Brigadier General
ss134's Avatar
United Kingdom
171
Rep
3,901
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Germany/UK

iTrader: (1)

There is something very exciting about the sound and feel of the S65 on full song- I love that engine very much but until I drive with the S55 I will not make a judgement. I am hoping it will be just as exciting and sound great....not the same as the S65 , that doesn't bother me as long as it makes me smile at 7600rpm I'll be happy .
The sound, throttle response and emotion in an engine are very important to me.
__________________
2014 AW F80 M3 DCT
2011 AW E90 M3 DCT - Sold
2010 JZB E90 M3 DCT - Sold
2009 6MT E90 LCI 335i M -Sport - Sold
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
2014 bmw m3, 2014 bmw m3 horsepower, 2014 bmw m3 specs, 2014 bmw m4 horsepower, 2014 bmw m4 specs, 2014 m3, 2014 m3 engine, 2014 m3 forum, 2014 m3 horsepower, 2014 m3 hp, 2014 m3 specs, 2014 m3 weight, 2014 m4 engine, 2014 m4 horsepower, 2014 m4 hp, 2014 m4 specs, 2014 m4 weight, 2015 bmw m3, 2015 bmw m3 specs, 2015 bmw m4, 2015 bmw m4 specs, 2015 m3, 2015 m3 engine, 2015 m3 specs, 2015 m4, 2015 m4 engine, 2015 m4 hp, 2015 m4 specs, 2015 m4 weight, bmw f80, bmw f80 forum, bmw f80 forums, bmw f80 m3, bmw f80 m3 s55, bmw f80 m3 sedan, bmw f82, bmw f82 forum, bmw f82 forums, bmw f82 m3 coupe, bmw f82 m4, bmw f82 m4 coupe, bmw f82 m4 s55, bmw f82 m4 video, bmw f83, bmw f83 m3, bmw f83 m4, bmw m forum, bmw m forums, bmw m3 forum, bmw m3 forums, bmw m3 s55, bmw m3 s55 engine, bmw m4, bmw m4 coupe, bmw m4 coupe forum, bmw m4 forum, bmw m4 forums, bmw m4 horsepower, bmw m4 hp, bmw m4 redline, bmw m4 rev limit, bmw m4 rev limiter, bmw m4 weight, f80 m3, f82 m4

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:37 AM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST