ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

08-18-2020, 09:59 PM   #45
cdtech4
Rep
Drives: 16 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabulousprofound View Post
bumping this thread.

i recently had surgery and i am unable to drive my m3 for possibly 2-3 months.

it's been parked at a family member's underground carpark for 2 weeks now. i do not have the charger mentioned in this thread, and there is a wall outlet in the carpark available, but it's several parking stalls away and would require an extension cord of some sort to cover that distance.

can someone tell me is there a way to use this charger, be able to lock the car and hood, and use an extension cord as well? my family member is not mechanically inclined but will try to do as much as she can manage. she cannot drive the car because it is a manual transmission.

any help is appreciated. thanks.
Hate to bump the thread, same issue here. Live in an apartment with garage, but no electrical outlet readily available. I know the battery is over the rear wheel well, is it safe to pull the battery and trickle charge in my apartment? I have done this previously with other cars where I have had to charge the battery in my apartment but wasn't sure about anything specific with the f82 I should know about.

Thanks for any help/advice in advance.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 07:25 PM   #46
Bunnny
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 & 2002 330ci e46

Quote:
Originally Posted by paliknight View Post
dont mean to resurrect this thread but, im about to go back to my car in two weeks thats been stored for two months. I didnt disconnect the battery and now im worried im fucked.

any advice? its in an apartment garage structure with no wall outlets so i couldnt hook up one of the devices listed in this thread.
Start it up and see what happens. If you get a low battery symbol, take the car out and drive it for half hour / 45 mins. It might restore the battery and be okay.
Last year I let my M4 sit for 4 months, with some days getting down to -35 (-31F). When it was finally nice enough to drive, I had that symbol but driving recharged the battery and I was fine. This year I'll get a charger tho!
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2020, 07:52 PM   #47
PhatLyfe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 AW/SO ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04cobra View Post
Does the ctek tender get hooked up to an extension cord and then a wall outlet? I heard some people just plug it into the cigarette lighter, but that makes no sense to me.

Just wanting to confirm
Hook it up in the connector in the hood. That's the best place and not the trunk. I run the extended cable I purchased separately and directly hooked to the outlet 10 feet plus away.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2020, 08:11 PM   #48
wknd_M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18’ MG ZCP F82

I will definitely invest in a charger. I myself have my car just sitting idle
Appreciate 0