Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

06-22-2017, 06:51 PM   #1
FireFlyAT
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Convertible. '16

Clicking Noise from the Rear Wheels

Hi guys, i hope someone can help me!

I got a problem with my M4 - I get weird clicking noises from the rear wheels. Sometimes its gone, then it comes back. When i wash my car for about 5km the noise is gone, then it comes back its like a rock is trapped somewhere. But today the dealer changed my Heat Shield behind the brakes to the newest version but i still geht the noise.

The noise also comes in every speed even when i just roll extremly slow forward or backwards. I drove about 300km today and its a constant tick tick tick tick tick. It drives me NUTS!!

I have Aftermarket Wheels ( HRE S101 ) with 5mm Spacer and H&R bolts.
Also got a Airride ( the ticking comes regardless of drive height ). Also when i brake it doesnt stop, or use the handbrake. When i drive a fast corner the side with no g-force will get quiet or will stop the clicking, while the other gets louder i guess.

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 10:55 AM   #2
Kbueno
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFlyAT View Post
Hi guys, i hope someone can help me!

I got a problem with my M4 - I get weird clicking noises from the rear wheels. Sometimes its gone, then it comes back. When i wash my car for about 5km the noise is gone, then it comes back its like a rock is trapped somewhere. But today the dealer changed my Heat Shield behind the brakes to the newest version but i still geht the noise.

The noise also comes in every speed even when i just roll extremly slow forward or backwards. I drove about 300km today and its a constant tick tick tick tick tick. It drives me NUTS!!

I have Aftermarket Wheels ( HRE S101 ) with 5mm Spacer and H&R bolts.
Also got a Airride ( the ticking comes regardless of drive height ). Also when i brake it doesnt stop, or use the handbrake. When i drive a fast corner the side with no g-force will get quiet or will stop the clicking, while the other gets louder i guess.

Hmm, could it be the wheel bearing/hub assembly? Typically they howl when they go bad, not the clicking you describe. Does the clicking increase with speed?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2017, 01:06 PM   #3
Park89
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

Perhaps, Nail stuck in your tire? best to start with silly thing because it happened to me before.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2017, 01:57 PM   #4
BavarianDevil
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 Silverstone/Beige

It's a thin metal shield behind the disc brake that was placed too close to the wheel. You can reach around and push it away from the wheel a bit. Nick Murray had the same problem. Thats where I found about it.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 10:09 AM   #5
FireFlyAT
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Convertible. '16

Hi,

its not a Nail or something, also the metal shield behind the break is new and it is also not that.

My BMW Dealer mechanic thought it might be my Wheels, so we swapt back to OEM Wheels, no more clicking. But i told him that the ticking comes after a little drive. But he wanted to put the HREs back on to check and still no more ticking. But im 100% sure it will come back, as it has always come back.

I will drive around with OEM wheels a bit and if the clicking is back ... well i dont care give me new rear axle if needed
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 01:11 PM   #6
Loopsluna
Registered
Rep
Drives: F80 m3

Hey guys, I know this thread seems dead but hopefully it helps someone out. I had the same problem I replaced my tires and removed my spacers because of the tires rubbing. Then all of a sudden I started to hear a clicking noise coming from the rear. I figured thats what I get for going stage 2 on this thing... long story short it ended being that once I removed the spacers I kept the same longer bolts and they kept hitting the brake spring which was where the ticking was coming from. Once I put the oem bolts back on it was fine. Hope this helps someone
Appreciate 2
agentrnge380.50
c0nrad93.00