Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

View Poll Results: S65 option or S55 standart ?
YES ... I would choose the S65 if an option at this price would be availiable 93 46.04%
NO ... I would choose the standart S55 engine 109 53.96%
Voters: 202. You may not vote on this poll

01-03-2014, 10:49 PM   #485
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

When the v8 was coming out i was like WHOA HELL YEAH.

My gripe is the turbos.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 11:46 PM   #486
435iaffair
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 435i, Z4M, M157 E63

Garage List
2014 435i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
I'm going to laugh my ass off if this S55 engine becomes adored. People were fairly resistant to BMW going to the V8 too, and people were writing it off long before they were able to drive it because it wasn't an I6.
I'm prepared to lmao with you
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 02:58 AM   #487
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92/E60

I am not even so sure how you can compare both right now. As most of us have not driven the S55. Thus, in my opinion it is too early to pass a verdict as which one is better.

I have driven an S65 on multiple occasions and N54 tuned which I own for over 4.3 years. While the N54 is good as a daily driver with lots of low down torque and nice broad power band, as well as easily modifiable, with decent gas mileage. I can't deny that the character of the S65 with its wailing sound and over 8K rpm redline with super quick revving feel and immediate throttle response has a more performance oriented feel to it that I would like to desire when I hit a track.

To me the S65 has the excitement on its side while N54 has practicality on its side. Lets, hope that the S55 can give us best of the both rather then just being a souped up N54.
nickname"BAD 3",MHD E85 tune,RennArt catback non-resonated exhaust,VRSF Downpipes, VRSF 7"FMIC,VRSF stock side inlets,SSQV BOV,ECS CP,M-performance alcantara steering,retrofit M3 paddle shifters,Alpina B3 tranny flash,AFE power seal CAI,LED angels,ST Coilovers,M3 upper/lower control arms,E93 M3 Front Swaybar ,235/35/19x9 ,275/30/19x9.5. M sport bumpers, CF diffuser. When in doubt..flat out.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 04:07 AM   #488
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
well like i have been saying fundamentally i am not a fan of the Inline 6 engine. just like how you do not like cross plane V8 engines. but at the end of the day i will be open minded to the new S55. be honest do you like the new corvette? i know you havent driven it yet. could you drive(own) a car with a big "lazy" v8 ?

they still make big V8 motors today. but they are different from the old school engines. that wasn't my generation, but i know of people who still to this day like those old big blocks over the modern V8s. so as time goes on engines do change.

i don't feel we will see a engine like the S65 again. maybe we will see a V8 again. but a high revving n/a v8. idk... its just to fuel thirsty. fuel is the problem. its not getting cheaper, and its not unlimited .

and it looks like most car companies are going FI now and ditching the N/A. maybe we have maxed out n/a motors in terms of getting the best MPG. even Ferrari is going FI. and we all know they love there n/a engines.
I have no problems with a V8 engine and plan on upgrading to a M5 in the future, but that has a cross bank exhaust manifold changing the exhaust sound. Love the sound of the new Audi RS6. I would love to have a 1969 Boss 302 or 429 Mustang (I was born in 1969 ). The C7 gets rave reviews in Europe. A V8 can sound really good, but mostly I prefer the sound of a BMW I6

And what you haven't taken into account in your anticipation of future engines are new technologies, like hybrid drivetrain. Just look at LaFerrari and Porsche 918. They combine high rpm NA engines with electrical engine. Creating a car with excellent official CO2 and consumption numbers. And with a low torque high rpm NA engine (the hybrid power takes care of low down grunt and means that the petrol engine doesn't have to be as torquey low down and engineers are free to create a more "racey" engine).

The 918 Spyder gets 94mpg and 70g/km of CO2... WAY better than the S55

That tech is too expensive for a 911 or a M3 today. But we might see that stuff in the future even on ordinary cars like the M3 etc!

In fact, I believe that my favourite drivetrain for the next gen M3/M4 would be a high revving NA I6/V8 with hybrid power. NO lag whatsoever and a combination of low end power from the hybrid drivetrain, excellent high rpm NA engine and fantastic fuel consumption and CO2 numbers

Remember that you read it here first

Last edited by Boss330; 01-04-2014 at 05:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 04:53 AM   #489
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I believe the S55 has ITB's too dude. That much hasn't changed.
The S55 doesn't even have a single throttle body...

Valvetronic takes care of the TB business on modern BMW engines. So, in effect every BMW engine with Valvetronic has what equals ITB, since air flow to each cylinder is controlled by the valve lift on each cylinder.

In fact, probably better than ITB since the intake valves only allow air flow when air flow is needed. On a ITB setup the TB is still open even though the cylinder is not drawing air in (like on the combustion or exhaust stroke).

And some DI engines today don't even have a throttle at all, they run like a diesel (but with a spark plug obviously) with only the amount of fuel injected regulating the power output.

Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 07:48 AM   #490
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330
Quote:

Valvetronic takes care of the TB business on modern BMW engines. So, in effect every BMW engine with Valvetronic has what equals ITB, since air flow to each cylinder is controlled by the valve lift on each cylinder.

In fact, probably better than ITB since the intake valves only allow air flow when air flow is needed. On a ITB setup the TB is still open even though the cylinder is not drawing air in (like on the combustion or exhaust stroke).

And some DI engines today don't even have a throttle at all, they run like a diesel (but with a spark plug obviously) with only the amount of fuel injected regulating the power output.

Face palm @ myself. I totally forgot about Valetronic/DI.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 08:36 AM   #491
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post

I am not sure this is an advantage of Valvetronic... What would be the negative effect of having the TB open when the intake valves are closed ?

IMO, a big benefit of dispensing with the throttle bodies is a significant reduction of pumping losses, especially at smaller throttle openings. IIRC, earlier versions of Valvetronic were not deemed "fast enough" for applications in ///M engines (S85 and S65). This is why they retained the individual throttle bodies. With the advancement of the technology, Valvetronic was first applied on an ///M engine with the S63.

Quote:
I did not know this. If it is possible, that would be pretty cool and a very good brakethrough. I always thought that gasoline requires a (near) stoichiometric mix to ignite. I guess they found a way to create the proper mix just around the spark plug for it to work.

Any references to such an engine? I would be interested to read about it.

Last edited by CanAutM3; 01-04-2014 at 09:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 11:10 AM   #492
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
I am not sure this is an advantage of Valvetronic... What would be the negative effect of having the TB open when the intake valves are closed ?

IMO, a big benefit of dispensing with the throttle bodies is a significant reduction of pumping losses, especially at smaller throttle openings. IIRC, earlier versions of Valvetronic were not deemed "fast enough" for applications in ///M engines (S85 and S65). This is why they retained the individual throttle bodies. With the advancement of the technology, Valvetronic was first applied on an ///M engine with the S63.

I did not know this. If it is possible, that would be pretty cool and a very good brakethrough. I always thought that gasoline requires a (near) stoichiometric mix to ignite. I guess they found a way to create the proper mix just around the spark plug for it to work.

Any references to such an engine? I would be interested to read about it.
The info on engines with no TB was from Wikipedia, and might not be accurate (so far I only know about DI engines that have a TB).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline_direct_injection

However,many DI engine runs at WOT most of the time, and the power produced is governed by the amount of fuel injected.

Here is some info on DI:

Old article from 2007 on DI:
http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_107830/article.html

Quote:
As with many conventional engine management systems, direct injection requires the use of an electronically-controlled throttle. However, unlike conventional systems where the actual throttle opening more or less follows the driver’s accelerator pedal torque request, in the case of direct injected engines, for much of the time the throttle is fully open - engine torque output is instead regulated by varying the fuel delivery, just like a diesel.

This diagram shows how this occurs. During Stratified Charge Mode the throttle (indicated by ‘a’) is held wide-open, irrespective of the driver’s accelerator pedal input. When the torque request is low, the air/fuel ratio is very lean (Bosch refer to this as an increased ‘excess air ratio’ – line ‘b’), with the air/fuel ratio gradually becoming richer as more torque is required. At a certain point, which corresponds on an engine-specific basis to engine speed and the amount of torque required, the engine changes to Homogenous Mode. (For simplicity, the transitional Homogenous Lean-Burn Mode is ignored in this diagram.) With the change in modes, the throttle valve opening becomes related to the driver’s torque request and the air/fuel ratio holds a constant stoichiometric air/fuel ratio (that is, 14.7:1 or Lambda = 1) across the rest of the engine load range.
Info from BOSCH:
http://www.bosch-automotivetechnolog...jection_1.html

An older, but very detailed, article on GDI:
http://web.iitd.ac.in/~pmvs/ICengines/paper12.pdf

From the Audi manual on the 3.0 TFSI engine (p 27):
http://www.s4-mtm.com/images/925803_3.0V6TFSIengine.pdf

Quote:
During part-throttle and naturally aspirated operation,
the bypass valve is wide open and the engine throttle
valve takes care of load management. In charge pressure
mode, the bypass valve regulates the engine load and the
engine throttle valve is wide open.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 11:20 AM   #493
Sapper_M3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330
Quote:

Exactly.

To piggyback on this, ITBs are just a means to an end. There are many other--perhaps better--routes to the same engine design goals.

Just for fun, though, can anyone name another currently for sale production vehicle with ITBs? The E93 M3 of course is one.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 11:20 AM   #494
car_fan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 F97 X3M

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Just as you say it...

It can be a bit tricky to discriminate throttle response and lag when widely varying throttle maps are used. For instance using the aggressive throttle mapping in the S65 M3, I would say the throttle is too sensitive at low throttle openings. This can give an illusion of a "faster" car or better throttle response or it can just make the car downright jumpy and too sensitive (which is my evaluation). However, I find it next to impossible to believe that you find a turbo charged N55 to have a better throttle response than the S65. You really must be confused.
+1 I have an N55 with the Sport Shift 8 Speed Auto. Throttle response is fast in Sport and Sport + modes, but not on par with an S65 ///M
2018 X3 M40i BSM/Oyster/ZPP/ZPX/HK/S6CPA/718M(retired)
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 12:22 PM   #495
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

Quote:
I have no problems with a V8 engine and plan on upgrading to a M5 in the future, but that has a cross bank exhaust manifold changing the exhaust sound. Love the sound of the new Audi RS6. I would love to have a 1969 Boss 302 or 429 Mustang (I was born in 1969 ). The C7 gets rave reviews in Europe. A V8 can sound really good, but mostly I prefer the sound of a BMW I6

And what you haven't taken into account in your anticipation of future engines are new technologies, like hybrid drivetrain. Just look at LaFerrari and Porsche 918. They combine high rpm NA engines with electrical engine. Creating a car with excellent official CO2 and consumption numbers. And with a low torque high rpm NA engine (the hybrid power takes care of low down grunt and means that the petrol engine doesn't have to be as torquey low down and engineers are free to create a more "racey" engine).

The 918 Spyder gets 94mpg and 70g/km of CO2... WAY better than the S55

That tech is too expensive for a 911 or a M3 today. But we might see that stuff in the future even on ordinary cars like the M3 etc!

In fact, I believe that my favourite drivetrain for the next gen M3/M4 would be a high revving NA I6/V8 with hybrid power. NO lag whatsoever and a combination of low end power from the hybrid drivetrain, excellent high rpm NA engine and fantastic fuel consumption and CO2 numbers

Remember that you read it here first
i will agree that new spyder i really like. revs to 9k RPM. with electric motor that helps get it it great MPG. i feel that is the way to go. in terms of meeting the growing demand for efficient engines. that car cost a a lot though. that technology is somewhat new to street performance cars. as we are just seeing it in the super cars first. time will tell when it hits cars we can afford.

and ya i believe it or not. i would love a high revving n/a I6 also.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 02:10 PM   #496
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Pretty much all race tuned, free revving high rpm NA engines has great sound, character and throttle response independent on how many cylinders they have and how the cylinders are lined up.

This little 750cc 4 banger street engine for example sounds and responds better than pretty much any turbo engine. Just the way things are. Physics and all.

Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 02:11 PM   #497
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

The S65 was an incredible value and I'm not sure I see something similar with the F80. Hopefully the overall package will still make it so since I'm likely be getting one.

BMW must be smiling though. "See Gunther I told you! We can stop this expensive bespoke engines and put in a tuned standard engine AND raise prices people will still hail it as a great price".

Last edited by solstice; 01-14-2014 at 02:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 01:39 AM   #498
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
BMW must be smiling though. "See Gunther I told you! We can stop this expensive bespoke engines and put in a tuned standard engine AND raise prices people will still hail it as a great price".
Nice, exactly.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 06:14 AM   #499
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Tuned standard engine?

A 1M has a tuned series engine. The F8x uses the S55, derived from the N55. Just like the S50/S52/S54 I6 in past M3s are derived from series engines, but completely reengineered.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 07:11 AM   #500
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

I think that what the 1M did was to define the real meaning of what a "tuned series engine" really is from the point of view of corporate cost reduction. Other than the overboost feature the sucker was exactly like the series engine. Exactly. In other words, the end of what ///M used to do.

Every other ///M engine went thru much more significant and invasive variations of series engines, not just "tuned". Like displacement changes, block changes, individual throttles, even cylinder count.

With that said, now more than ever an M5/M6 is a tuned 550i/650i, the X5M/X6M is a tuned X5/X6 and finally a M3/M4 is a tuned 335i/435i.

Try to even fathom saying that of a past M3 and M5 and you will know what I am talking about.

Like I said before, I will get an F80 M3. Without doubt this will perform better than any M3 before. But that does not mean that I do not know that I am getting less than what I used to get in an ///M. The value, that intangible thing that will kill car models sooner of later, is just not there anymore. You can see value in the new Corvette, in the new Mustang, even in the upcoming C63.

In this one, not as much as before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Tuned standard engine?

A 1M has a tuned series engine. The F8x uses the S55, derived from the N55. Just like the S50/S52/S54 I6 in past M3s are derived from series engines, but completely reengineered.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 07:34 AM   #501
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
I think that what the 1M did was to define the real meaning of what a "tuned series engine" really is from the point of view of corporate cost reduction. Other than the overboost feature the sucker was exactly like the series engine. Exactly. In other words, the end of what ///M used to do.

IRL the engine is 50% more thrilling than on paper and 100% more thrilling in everyday use than the 'exotic' V8 in the E9xM3. The whole package being in 9/10 ways a better and sportier performer than the E9x M3 ever was.

A classic and true successor to the legendary E30 M3 and E46 M3 CSL. I hope the F8x M3 will do the same...

And talking about true VALUE LOL. The 1M has it.

[/rant]

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 07:48 AM   #502
BMW M3 CRT
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Every other ///M engine went thru much more significant and invasive variations of series engines, not just "tuned". Like displacement changes, block changes, individual throttles, even cylinder count.

With that said, now more than ever an M5/M6 is a tuned 550i/650i, the X5M/X6M is a tuned X5/X6 and finally a M3/M4 is a tuned 335i/435i.

Try to even fathom saying that of a past M3 and M5 and you will know what I am talking about.

Like I said before, I will get an F80 M3. Without doubt this will perform better than any M3 before. But that does not mean that I do not know that I am getting less than what I used to get in an ///M. The value, that intangible thing that will kill car models sooner of later, is just not there anymore. You can see value in the new Corvette, in the new Mustang, even in the upcoming C63.

+10 . really true words ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
IRL the engine is 50% more thrilling than on paper and 100% more thrilling in everyday use than the 'exotic' V8 in the E9xM3. The whole package being in 9/10 ways a better and sportier performer than the E9x M3 ever was.

A classic and true successor to the legendary E30 M3 and E46 M3 CSL. I hope the F8x M3 will do the same...

And talking about true VALUE LOL. The 1M has it.

[/rant]

Cheers
Robin
Really(?) ... I think the 1M was such an thrilling car only because it puts the dynamic parts of the E9xM3 into an smaller and lighter car body ... an they donīt bring the S65 into the 1M because in this case it would eat the E9xM3 every time ... so the N54 engine was simply enough for the 1M theme ... so for me the 1M was an really nice sportscar, but despite of its engine and not because of its engine ... 335i dreamboys wouldnīt agree, but simply because they donīt accept (or know?) how the HDZ concept works !!!

Last edited by BMW M3 CRT; 01-16-2014 at 08:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 07:51 AM   #503
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

@Technic: You know with the new car you are getting less:

Less weight.

Sorry just had to do that.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 08:11 AM   #504
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

That's right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
@Technic: You know with the new car you are getting less:

Less weight.

Sorry just had to do that.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 08:30 AM   #505
Tornrider
Private
Rep
Drives: 2002 E46 M3

For those of us who yearn for the good ole days of ///M we're better off with the E36/46 M3s.

At this point based on everything I have seen...///M is dead to me.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 08:46 AM   #506
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Hi there Technic. Good post. I do have some comments.

Quote:

Right, but can we all agree this is an outlier? I didn't bring it up to open the debate on that car's legitimacy again, just to use it as a point of contrast.

Regarding cost - lets also keep in mind that the cost of not using the N54 in the 1M may very well have been to not build the 1M at all, given the age of the E82 and the timing of the product. In the real world, we can't always throw more money at a problem to get it done faster. Maybe small company X can design an all new engine for new product Y on arbitrary timeline Z, but let's keep our expectations in line with reality for the corporate world.

Given the proper development timeframe, M has taken the approach of thoroughly reengineering the series engine for the F1x M-proper vehicles and F8x M-proper vehicles. I'll bet you believe they will do the same with F2x M-proper products as well. Am I right?

Quote:

I don't agree with your characterizations and verbiage, necessarily, but I'm not going to nitpick. There's no question that an M engine is becoming more like a series engine. And not just more as compared to the S65/S85 of last generation (which had no series counterpart at all), but indeed arguably more than generations past as well. For the sake of argument let's go with that.

Turbocharging can make a displacement change unnecessary, right? Well, I mean you can do whatever you want, but if you meet the performance target with no displacement change from the parent engine, then you can't really make a business case in saying "yeah, but let's bump it up just because it makes it special".

Valvetronic and HPI make individual throttle bodies redundant too. Sure you can still use ITB, but again there's no reason to add complexity if it does not benefit performance and responsiveness.

Now, should M engines even be using things like Valvetronic and turbocharging? Well, that's another argument. My point is that the transformations we saw M make in the past to series engines were all very purposeful and not to make sure the engine met some quota of unique parts or satisfied some layman's terms of specialness. This is important to keep in mind. I know you know this, and others do too. But sometimes we get spoiled by side-effects and come to appreciate them more than the simplicity that was the motivation for the elixir.

Quote:

We are not on different pages. You seem to have a pretty level head about it all.

I wouldn't presume to tell other people how to see the world. We all have our grouses. I do notice that lately around here there is a lot of apparent hostility, vilification and finger pointing. I'm not sure its all properly placed, properly substantiated, deserved, fair, and frankly - a healthy approach. Make no mistake, the almighty dollar figures in, but what appears to be overlooked more often than not is that the cost of doing business changes.
Appreciate 0