GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

07-19-2021, 09:27 PM   #1
MPOOR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 / WHITE

Mosselman Engine oil thermostat review track and on road review.

I do mostly track and some on road driving.
It gets pretty hot during Summer where I am ~ Gets up to about 96F with a lot of humid.

Recently my cars oem engine oil thermostat failed during a trackday. Car was throwing "Engine oil temp too high" warning when I push. I had to wrap up and go home after one session.
After a bit of research I deiced to go with an aftermarket option.
Mosselman Engine oil thermostat, ordered it from their web site and the part arrived real quick ~ Thank you to DHL~

The part was nicely manufactured and installation was very straight forward.
After installation did some short on road testing and went to my next trackday.

Engine oil temps were extremely well maintained. Very happy ~ and well satisfied. During track day ambient temp was around 91F. Oil temp never exceed 208F, where as with an oem it was around 221F to 230F.

I would highly recommend it for someone who wants to keep their Engine oil temps low even with stock Engine oil heat exchanger.

But I wouldn't recommend it, if you drive mostly in town~and go to Starbucks or something.
Attached Images

07-20-2021, 07:13 AM   #2
TheMaster1971NL
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPOOR View Post
I do mostly track and some on road driving.
It gets pretty hot during Summer where I am ~ Gets up to about 96F with a lot of humid.

Recently my cars oem engine oil thermostat failed during a trackday. Car was throwing "Engine oil temp too high" warning when I push. I had to wrap up and go home after one session.
After a bit of research I deiced to go with an aftermarket option.
Mosselman Engine oil thermostat, ordered it from their web site and the part arrived real quick ~ Thank you to DHL~

The part was nicely manufactured and installation was very straight forward.
After installation did some short on road testing and went to my next trackday.

Engine oil temps were extremely well maintained. Very happy ~ and well satisfied. During track day ambient temp was around 91F. Oil temp never exceed 208F, where as with an oem it was around 221F to 230F.

I would highly recommend it for someone who wants to keep their Engine oil temps low even with stock Engine oil heat exchanger.

But I wouldn't recommend it, if you drive mostly in town~and go to Starbucks or something.
I don't do trackdays and I have one also. Without trackdays I also recommend this thermostat!
Appreciate 1
NORAGRETS440.50
      07-21-2021, 01:38 AM   #3
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

This mod is a proven mod but unfortunately I don't drive my car hard enough to justify it lol
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 11:41 AM   #4
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

The only downside for me is that the two top hex caps aren't there. Those are my easy access ports to suck out the oil cooling circuit during oil changes. I also use them to pull samples for Blackstone Labs if I need to test before I reach my OCI.
      08-10-2021, 09:49 AM   #5
TheMaster1971NL
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
The only downside for me is that the two top hex caps aren't there. Those are my easy access ports to suck out the oil cooling circuit during oil changes. I also use them to pull samples for Blackstone Labs if I need to test before I reach my OCI.
I think you can order one direct at Mosselman. Maybe they produce a custom one for you.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 03:07 PM   #6
CJStevens
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

Iv been interested in one and from little research Iv done it doesn't seem like it would be an issue for daily driving. It has an actual thermostat that stays closed while the engine warms up and opens at a certain temp to keep it cool. Can you elaborate why you wouldn't recommend it for people that don't track all the time? I mean at $1000 yeah that's crazy but for a community of people that already spend crazy money on the cars and aftermarket, x amount of dollars on carbon splitters that they bash up and buy another one, $300 for cooler oil temps and the aesthetics of a nice polished oil cooler under the hood instead of the oxidizing aluminum one doesn't seem terrible to me.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 03:40 PM   #7
JamesGames
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 550i|F82 M4|F48 X1|VA STi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJStevens View Post
Iv been interested in one and from little research Iv done it doesn't seem like it would be an issue for daily driving. It has an actual thermostat that stays closed while the engine warms up and opens at a certain temp to keep it cool. Can you elaborate why you wouldn't recommend it for people that don't track all the time? I mean at $1000 yeah that's crazy but for a community of people that already spend crazy money on the cars and aftermarket, x amount of dollars on carbon splitters that they bash up and buy another one, $300 for cooler oil temps and the aesthetics of a nice polished oil cooler under the hood instead of the oxidizing aluminum one doesn't seem terrible to me.
When the engine runs warm, burning off water byproduct from combustion is one reason. (Water boiling point is 212f..) In efficient mode, i see oil temps of up to 220-230F on hot days - throw it into Sport + and temps dip to 190-200F levels. Personally, oil temps are not an issue on this car, at all, unless you track hardcore. Very hard for the car to exceed that temp even after multiple WOT runs even at the track.

For that moisture reason alone, if the car isn't constantly tracked, I don't see the benefit. Heavy moisture buildup causes oxidation of oil, shortening life of the oil. Moisture can increase oxidation of oil by A LOT... lowering flash point of oil, leading to oil burning off / vaporizing, causing buildup (which is already an issue with Direct injection turbos.. than port injected cars)

My 2 cents is to save your money unless you track hard. There are benefits to elevated temps on a daily driven / street car... plus the factory cooling system is actually well designed and efficient.

Last edited by JamesGames; 08-10-2021 at 03:45 PM..
Appreciate 1
      08-10-2021, 03:50 PM   #8
CJStevens
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGames View Post
Quote:
When the engine runs warm, burning off water byproduct from combustion is one reason. (Water boiling point is 212f..) In efficient mode, i see oil temps of up to 220-230F on hot days - throw it into Sport + and temps dip to 190-200F levels. Personally, oil temps are not an issue on this car, at all, unless you track hardcore. Very hard for the car to exceed that temp even after multiple WOT runs even at the track.

For that moisture reason alone, if the car isn't constantly tracked, I don't see the benefit. Heavy moisture buildup causes oxidation of oil, shortening life of the oil. Moisture can increase oxidation of oil by A LOT... lowering flash point of oil, leading to oil burning off / vaporizing, causing buildup (which is already an issue with Direct injection turbos.. than port injected cars)

My 2 cents is to save your money unless you track hard. There are benefits to elevated temps on a daily driven / street car... plus the factory cooling system is actually well designed and efficient.
Thanks, valid point.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 05:54 PM   #9
Jeremy Billiel
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3

Modern oil can run sustained temps of 250+ all day with no issues at all. This is not a concern for our cars IMO.
      08-10-2021, 07:04 PM   #10
CJStevens
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Im literally only interested in it because it looks nice under the hood. Looks better than the stock one and for $300 why not.
Appreciate 1
NORAGRETS440.50
      08-11-2021, 12:29 AM   #11
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Competition

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
I bought it for one reason, it looks badass and my oil housing had some weird discoloring from I-don't-know-what...and it's hot as hell in SoCal. I like seeing my oil temps sit lower...I will track her eventually, too.

08-15-2021, 03:01 AM   #12
BadM4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 IND TANZANITE COMP M4

Quote:
Im literally only interested in it because it looks nice under the hood. Looks better than the stock one and for $300 why not.
Where can you buy one for $300? I’ve never seen anyone selling them new for that price
      08-15-2021, 06:46 AM   #13
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Competition

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadM4 View Post
Quote:
Where can you buy one for $300? I’ve never seen anyone selling them new for that price
I meant $400. Fat fingered a 3.
      12-06-2023, 04:09 PM   #14
Ak665
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: bmw m4 2016

Thinking to buy it but i Think i don't need i don't know what to do im only street racing in hot weather

45 Celsius

I want to share my build my story but i can add any new post they didn't allowed any one helps
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2024, 08:46 AM   #15
NORAGRETS
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3 ZCP BSM 2012 E82 1

Garage List
It’s so pretty I don’t wanna install it. Belongs on a shelf 😂

RIP - E82 135i - 7/7/2021
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2024, 08:47 AM   #16
NORAGRETS
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3 ZCP BSM 2012 E82 1

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughter.mode View Post
I bought it for one reason, it looks badass and my oil housing had some weird discoloring from I-don't-know-what...and it's hot as hell in SoCal. I like seeing my oil temps sit lower...I will track her eventually, too.

Your non-black line oil filter housing is throwing me off

RIP - E82 135i - 7/7/2021
Appreciate 1
TopJimmy5457.00