Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

06-20-2021, 10:25 AM   #1
Karlooch
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4

To update or not update I Step // I Level software

Have a 2016 f82 and am just wondering if it would be worthwhile updating the software? Found a few threads but wasnt really able to determine what was best. Also have a stage 1 tune and am wondering if that might complicate things if I wanted to reapply the tune after the update?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 02:42 PM   #2
PhatLyfe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 AW/SO ZCP

If it's not broken, why update? The dealer updates are the only ones who can determine if you need the update or not.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 06:57 PM   #3
maddmatth
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: F82 M4, E92 335i

If you're already on aftermarket engine software you may as well just use THOR or something for the other components - use it to flash CS diff, trans (if DCT) and latest EDC.

The 2020 software on the base model is a great improvement yes, and it would be worthwhile if you're trying to maintain a warranty but you seem to be past that point
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 11:36 PM   #4
Karlooch
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddmatth View Post
If you're already on aftermarket engine software you may as well just use THOR or something for the other components - use it to flash CS diff, trans (if DCT) and latest EDC.

The 2020 software on the base model is a great improvement yes, and it would be worthwhile if you're trying to maintain a warranty but you seem to be past that point
I’m already out of warranty with a 2016 so not concerned about that and I believe it’s pretty straight forward to remove bootmod3 no? Only concern would be re applying it after new software.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 08:13 PM   #5
fidozoom
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BSM M4 Convertible

I went from F20-17-11-540 to F20-21-3-545 and I am glad I paid the $200 to get it done. The power delivery is very different and I am no longer just losing traction (even on summer tires in Washington roads). Most improved for me is the DCT which no longer "jumps" especially from 2nd to 3rd gear which used to be very annoying and the kangaroo jumps.

Suspension seemed to been smoother too but that could have just been my imagination. I got the upgrade done as I was installing KW HAS springs (and it seems like folks getting the similar MP HAS springs from BMW were told to update firmware).

Maybe all of this is fixed by using the Thor app (which I was going to get later).

But for me this was a very useful upgrade. It did wipe out my iDrive4->iDrive6 coding which I had to get recoded for $75.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 06:35 AM   #6
EricP3
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 X3M Comp

My dealer told me that they don't recommend doing the software update even after I told them I was fine paying for it. I went with the THOR Flasher instead and BM3.
      06-22-2021, 03:27 PM   #7
fidozoom
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BSM M4 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricP3 View Post
My dealer told me that they don't recommend doing the software update even after I told them I was fine paying for it. I went with the THOR Flasher instead and BM3.
Yes, dealers seem wary of doing software updates as there is a reputation that it could brick the ECUs. But I am told that is not much of a concern with the F series and above cars (apparently it was widespread on the E series).

Anyway I should have mentioned that I got done by an indie shop. The first indie shop I went to said the same thing as the dealer and even after I agreed to not hold them liable, they called me back and kept warning me about how it would cost $3K to fix if the ECUs got bricked. The second indie shop was lot more confident and seemed to know what they were doing. Both shops had me sign a liability waiver.

What I heard about Thor is that is doesn't really flash your ECU but only changes the settings. So if you didn't have the right firmware it may not be able to change all settings. Did I get this wrong? Does it actually flash the ECU completely?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 08:26 PM   #8
maddmatth
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: F82 M4, E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidozoom View Post
What I heard about Thor is that is doesn't really flash your ECU but only changes the settings. So if you didn't have the right firmware it may not be able to change all settings. Did I get this wrong? Does it actually flash the ECU completely?
It flashes the Transmission, DSC, EDC modules. Not the ECU as it's not an engine tune.

But combined with an engine tune, you're then updating all the modules that would have been flashed by a software update hence the update is redundant (unless the update also does the modules that handle the lights ect but I don't think so, never seen any change there).
Appreciate 0