Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

06-24-2021, 02:25 AM   #1
Chapstick
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 DCT/MPE

Rear Brake Caliper Bleed nipples sheared off by BMW

Hi everyone

Your thoughts and any advice on how to proceed will be gratefully appreciated!

My F80 when into Vines BMW for a routine brake fluid replacement and later that day I was contacted by them and advised that both rear caliper bleed nipples were sheared off by the technician during the procedure, when I asked why they had sheared off they cited corrosion between the nipple and the caliper!?

Why, when the first one sheared off they didn’t stop and contact me is beyond belief but no they continued to cause further damage to the other caliper!

They have subsequently advised that I’m now faced with replacing both calipers at my expense which comes to £1550.00 fitted!!

Has anyone had a similar experience with BMW?

Thanks
Chapstick

Last edited by Chapstick; 06-25-2021 at 12:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 01:55 PM   #2
gunsmoker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

I'm not buying the corrosion part. Most likely he overtorqued the bolts. It happened to me years ago. Even if it was a corrosion, I don't see how it was your problem to pay for the calipers - you brought in a drivable car and what they did resulted in it not being drivable. There is another option - tow the car to an indy shop, they will drill the remnants of the hollow bolts and fit you with slightly bigger bleeder bolts. I sheared such a bolt 25 years ago and drove the car to the nearest shop using the handbrake - it was possible with that car, lots of fun.

Ask for a proof that the bolt was corroded and they did not overtorque it. If they have what is left of the bolt, you will be able to tell whether it snapped while being turned left or right. If they don't have a proof, the onus is on them.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 02:13 PM   #3
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Have a nice polite conversation with the service manager. Ask for proof of corrosion first, then ask why they didn't stop at the first broken part.