GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

08-05-2020, 07:35 AM   #1101
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Considerable entry understeer now?

SC3's sound and look to be behaving like a street tire.

Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 10:47 AM   #1102
F80Speed77
Grid.Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Yeah I was a little dissapointed to not be down in the 34's, data had me getting down there for sure but I kept making mistakes that cost me. Didn't throw the new Front Sway Bar on until the last session and the car felt way better on exit! Unfortunately we only had 5 sessions before the rains ended the event from a competitive aspect on Sunday. Also got in a bit of a scuffle with a tire wall at the end of the day on Saturday... I'll just say the F80 can take a punch like a champ lol.

From the racetrack side of things the SuperCar3 felt a little odd, it had good grip when it loaded up but maybe didn't have that initial response the RE71R had so I was always kind of guessing on turn in? I wouldn't say it was understeery because I could still get it to rotate on entry. Maybe the 295/30 is little too big for my wheel setup? I don't think I was down on grip because I finished with about the same gap I've been having to Coby and was still close to Chris B in his C7GS in 2nd place and again the time was definitely out there for 34's.

I made a lot of changes to the car the week leading up to the event and wasn't able to get it pro-aligned prior to the event to make sure everything was still checking out ok so we did a good ol fashioned tape measure alignment in the garages lol so who know what effect that might have had on things too. On the plus side, they fit a lot better in the wheel well than the 285/35/19 do and are super quiet on the street.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 12:26 PM   #1103
dvas
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 - Mineral Gray, 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tke743 View Post
Lime Rock - tke743 0:59:19 M3 ZCP (RE-71r, otherwise stock)

Only got three fully clean laps. All three are within .3 sec.

First time on the RE-71r’s. Nice tire. I can consistently get three hot laps in a row before having to take one or two laps off to cool them down. You can do 1:01's at Lime Rock all day without overheating them.

Racecrono with 10hz GPS puck -
Congrats on going sub-1 minute! And a low 59 is a pretty amazing time, you crushed the 1 min barrier. Will be a hard time to beat on a M2/3/4 platform (without a lot of mods).

You echo my sentiments for the RE71s - a great tire for a couple laps before they overheat. I was getting about 4 good days on them before they started loosing grip. Hope you get the same or better.
      08-05-2020, 03:44 PM   #1104
tke743
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvas View Post
Congrats on going sub-1 minute! And a low 59 is a pretty amazing time, you crushed the 1 min barrier. Will be a hard time to beat on a M2/3/4 platform (without a lot of mods).

You echo my sentiments for the RE71s - a great tire for a couple laps before they overheat. I was getting about 4 good days on them before they started loosing grip. Hope you get the same or better.
TY, very happy with the time and consistency of the tire. I get 3 hot laps in a row, then need 2 off. As I said, they can take high 1:01's all day.

I had gotten under the 1 min mark last fall with the Toyo RR's but at a "no timing" event. I'm now starting to enter into time trials as "stock" so I went with the RE-71r's, removed the Ohlins and I'm running 2 degrees of camber. This was my first go with the new setup. I think that high 58's are possible with R7's or the like. Any faster then that I want a caged car.

I'm one day on them now, let's see how they last. Hope your 4 days is correct. That would be better than I expected. These are heavy cars.
      08-07-2020, 07:51 PM   #1105
PayamFSU
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP YMB

FIRM

M3 comp , RS4 , power stop track day pads

1:21:20

2018 F80 ZCP 6MT YMB/SO
2015 F82 M4 6MT AW/SO - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 11:58 PM   #1106
drroc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 - 6MT

1:44.2 in traffic at Laguna. I couldn't get a clean fast lap in all of the sessions of the day...
Appreciate 3
dvq319.00
swagon13521.00
      08-12-2020, 11:50 AM   #1107
dvq
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by drroc View Post
1:44.2 in traffic at Laguna. I couldn't get a clean fast lap in all of the sessions of the day...
Good lap! No miata, a little bit of work on T2, T3 and T10 and I'd imagine you'd be very quickly at a 1:40.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 01:30 PM   #1108
drroc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 - 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvq View Post
Good lap! No miata, a little bit of work on T2, T3 and T10 and I'd imagine you'd be very quickly at a 1:40.
Yeah, the Miata caused me to loose some momentum.
Any recommendations for T2, T3, and T10?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 02:09 PM   #1109
dvq
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by drroc View Post
Yeah, the Miata caused me to loose some momentum.
Any recommendations for T2, T3, and T10?
Youtube has a bunch of coaching analysis videos you can search -- T2 you could probably knock off a bunch of time
Appreciate 3
      08-17-2020, 09:59 PM   #1110
vrptstyly
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW M3 COMP

Garage List
NJMP Thunderbolt

M3 Comp, 4S, DCT, PFC11

Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 07:56 AM   #1111
Melchior
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW M3 DCT

I ran GridLife Alpine Horizon this last weekend at PPIR, and it was a lot of fun! I ran Street Modified class because of my double adjustable shocks, so I decided to leave my lip and wing on. I only improved .2 seconds over my 3rd flying lap on Friday, as I was improving the track was getting really greasy on the infield, making it a real challenge to put power down. It seemed like everyone I talked to on bstones was really having a hard time with the OPR, and so I was .7 faster in the infield in my first session than I was on my flying lap. I’m really impressed with those that could find time later in the event.

Track: Pikes Peak International Raceway PPIR (8/15/2020)
Best Lap Time:1:01.743

Car: 2016 F80 M3 DCT
Suspension: KW Clubsports
Brakes: PFC-08 Pads Front/Rear
Mods: VRSF downpipes, JB4 Map 2, KN filters, Race Seats, APR Front Lip, Zebulon Rear Wing
Tires: 275/35R18 Bridgestone RE71Rs on FL5 18x10.5 Front/Rear

Last edited by Melchior; 08-18-2020 at 11:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 11:33 AM   #1112
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melchior View Post
I ran GridLife Alpine Horizon this last weekend at PPIR, and it was a lot of fun! I ran Street Modified class because of my double adjustable shocks, so I decided to leave my lip and wing on. I only improved .2 seconds over my 3rd flying lap on Friday, as I was improving the track was getting really greasy on the infield, making it a real challenge to put power down. It seemed like everyone I talked to on bstones was really having a hard time with the OPR, and so I was .7 faster in the infield in my first session than I was on my flying lap. I'm really impressed with those that could find time later in the event.

Track: High Plains Raceway (8/15/2020)
Best Lap Time:1:01.743

Car: 2016 F80 M3 DCT
Suspension: KW Clubsports
Brakes: PFC-08 Pads Front/Rear
Mods: VRSF downpipes, JB4 Map 2, KN filters, Race Seats, APR Front Lip, Zebulon Rear Wing
Tires: 275/35R18 Bridgestone RE71Rs on FL5 18x10.5 Front/Rear

You have the track as High Plains (HPR), but the video and time of PPIR.

Did you also drive at HPR? If so, what was your time and thoughts?
      08-18-2020, 12:07 PM   #1113
Melchior
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post

Good catch, I copy/pasted my car setup from HPR and forgot to change the track. I have run HPR, many times over the years in many different cars. I ran my F80 last year on 285 RE71Rs (ran 275s at PPIR), but everything else was the same as above and ran a 1:53.778. My GoPro quit working for that session, so no video.

As far as thoughts, are you wondering about the track or car? The track is really great if you haven’t been out. Lots of technical features, blind apexes and lots of elevation which all add up to a fun lap. The biggest downside is it’s in the middle of nowhere. My car works pretty well there, turbos (and the DCT) do amazing at this elevation as I match top speed on the back straight as my old LS2 FD RX7 (475 whp/2750 lbs). The PFC-08s and SRF are almost enough for 4-5 hard laps, but they ultimately need bled. I’m most impressed with the factory cooling system, usually nothing stays cool on track at this elevation, but hot lap after hot lap this F80 stays in the happy zone for water/oil/trans, the charge air cooling loop does alright but starts to climb a little more than I’d prefer.
Appreciate 1
fanatic11018.50
      08-18-2020, 01:12 PM   #1114
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Quote:

Good catch, I copy/pasted my car setup from HPR and forgot to change the track. I have run HPR, many times over the years in many different cars. I ran my F80 last year on 285 RE71Rs (ran 275s at PPIR), but everything else was the same as above and ran a 1:53.778. My GoPro quit working for that session, so no video.

As far as thoughts, are you wondering about the track or car? The track is really great if you haven't been out. Lots of technical features, blind apexes and lots of elevation which all add up to a fun lap. The biggest downside is it's in the middle of nowhere. My car works pretty well there, turbos (and the DCT) do amazing at this elevation as I match top speed on the back straight as my old LS2 FD RX7 (475 whp/2750 lbs). The PFC-08s and SRF are almost enough for 4-5 hard laps, but they ultimately need bled. I'm most impressed with the factory cooling system, usually nothing stays cool on track at this elevation, but hot lap after hot lap this F80 stays in the happy zone for water/oil/trans, the charge air cooling loop does alright but starts to climb a little more than I'd prefer.
🤩 1:53... If you ever stumble on any old video or data, please post it. Yes it's an awesome track, albeit I'm only in my second season tracking and obviously with limited experience, but I love HPR. Thrilled to hear from more experienced drivers that it holds its weight.

I've enjoyed following tie developments with the new car. Please keep them coming.

Never mind - I believe I've seen your videos. E9x and f8x running upper 1.50's. Thanks again man!
      08-18-2020, 01:40 PM   #1115
F80Speed77
Grid.Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
I ran GridLife Alpine Horizon this last weekend at PPIR, and it was a lot of fun! I ran Street Modified class because of my double adjustable shocks, so I decided to leave my lip and wing on. I only improved .2 seconds over my 3rd flying lap on Friday, as I was improving the track was getting really greasy on the infield, making it a real challenge to put power down. It seemed like everyone I talked to on bstones was really having a hard time with the OPR, and so I was .7 faster in the infield in my first session than I was on my flying lap. I’m really impressed with those that could find time later in the event.
Nice! Welcome to the GridLife Club and way to represent the F80! 2ish seconds off Jackie and Alex is pretty dang impressive, I think I saw you on the live feed or maybe their IG account? Was there a white E90 with a wing too? What did you think of the GridLife experience?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 01:47 PM   #1116
Melchior
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
🤩 1:53... If you ever stumble on any old video or data, please post it. Yes it's an awesome track, albeit I'm only in my second season tracking and obviously with limited experience, but I love HPR. Thrilled to hear from more experienced drivers that it holds its weight.

I've enjoyed following tie developments with the new car. Please keep them coming.
My buddy let me borrow his GoPro for the last session after mine stopped working to see if I could go faster. The fun starts about 4:30, I was able to run a ~1:54.2 on the first lap (not my best driving, too much curbing in areas and sideways), but then I got blocked on following laps. I never combined data from this lap. It’s funny how my brake pads still made really loud noises then.

I do have data when I was getting ready for One Lap of America, running Continental ECS. Corner speeds are way down on this one compared to RE71RS, but still fun to watch.

If you haven’t been to Pueblo Motorsports Park, you should really go. I think that track has more flow than HPR. T1 through T8 link together in a way not seen at HPR. It’s out of the way, and less talked about, but it’s a lot of fun.

Appreciate 1
Gomeler500.00
      08-18-2020, 01:51 PM   #1117
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Quote:

My buddy let me borrow his GoPro for the last session after mine stopped working to see if I could go faster. The fun starts about 4:30, I was able to run a ~1:54.2 on the first lap (not my best driving, too much curbing in areas and sideways), but then I got blocked on following laps. I never combined data from this lap. It's funny how my brake pads still made really loud noises then.

I do have data when I was getting ready for One Lap of America, running Continental ECS. Corner speeds are way down on this one compared to RE71RS, but still fun to watch.

If you haven't been to Pueblo Motorsports Park, you should really go. I think that track has more flow than HPR. T1 through T8 link together in a way not seen at HPR. It's out of the way, and less talked about, but it's a lot of fun.

Yes I really like Pueblo as well. T1, and T5-7 are awesome! Just easier to get to HPR from Boulder plus love the Thursday evening sessions.

Btw - edited my previous post. I didn't put 2 and 2 together as I've watched your e9x HPR laps ad nauseam.
      08-18-2020, 02:29 PM   #1118
Gomeler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 M235iR, '16 M4 GTS

Quote:
My buddy let me borrow his GoPro for the last session after mine stopped working to see if I could go faster. The fun starts about 4:30, I was able to run a ~1:54.2 on the first lap (not my best driving, too much curbing in areas and sideways), but then I got blocked on following laps. I never combined data from this lap. It’s funny how my brake pads still made really loud noises then.
You're laps have basically been the rabbit running down the track that I'm trying to catch. I've lacked a lot of confidence in the car due to grip issues, but I think I've sorted that, and I'm pretty excited to start ratcheting down some corners. T7 is the start, your entry and corner speeds are ~5mph higher, do want.
Appreciate 1
DRLane3988.50
      08-18-2020, 03:58 PM   #1119
Melchior
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F80Speed77 View Post
Nice! Welcome to the GridLife Club and way to represent the F80! 2ish seconds off Jackie and Alex is pretty dang impressive, I think I saw you on the live feed or maybe their IG account? Was there a white E90 with a wing too? What did you think of the GridLife experience?
Thanks, I've been paying attention to your GridLife thread. I've done lots of NASA Time Trial, autocross, and One Lap of America, but this was my first GridLife even. The format is really fun, there's so much going on throughout the day and I could only imagine if they were aloud to have live music as well. I have a lot of friends from One Lap run this out east, and a few locals that have run the PPIR event before. The heat wasn't so great, and running so late in the day was throwing me off. Also, I think all the drifting left marbles all over the infield that made it really slick as the event went on. I was happy to be as close to Jackie and Alex as I was, but I was frustrated looking at data that I couldn't extract more out of a single lap. I'm definitely going to run the PPIR event in the future, and maybe I'll find a way to get out to an event out east.

Awesome that I was on the live feed! My buddy was in the E92 with aero, he was driving well above my abilities this weekend, as I should have been .5-1.0 seconds faster than him. He's a phenomenal driver, and his car has much better aero than mine (real splitter, vented fenders, canards, wing), so his mid-corner speeds were several mph quicker than mine, but my top speeds were several mph faster than his.

Quote:
Yes I really like Pueblo as well. T1, and T5-7 are awesome! Just easier to get to HPR from Boulder plus love the Thursday evening sessions.

Btw - edited my previous post. I didn't put 2 and 2 together as I've watched your e9x HPR laps ad nauseam.
Good to know you've already seen a few laps. Let me know if you ever have any questions on HPR, I've really put in effort to learn that track over the years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomeler View Post
You're laps have basically been the rabbit running down the track that I'm trying to catch. I've lacked a lot of confidence in the car due to grip issues, but I think I've sorted that, and I'm pretty excited to start ratcheting down some corners. T7 is the start, your entry and corner speeds are ~5mph higher, do want.
It's hard to drive confidently without grip, so good to know you have that figured out. You have a CS, right? Front aero is probably similar with mine, and I have my wing backed way out to match. I'm sure you can get there in T7!
Appreciate 1
Gomeler500.00
      08-21-2020, 11:34 AM   #1120
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Track: WGI
Car: F80 CS, 3630lb without driver.

Full list of mods:
MCS suspension, Alcon-Bimmerworld brakes, solid front thrust/brake bushing, rear seats removed, BK harness bar, Sparco Ergo seats and 6 points
Tires: BFG R1 285/30 square on Bimmerworld T5AR wheels

Throttle on efficient, dct on 1/3

Time: 2:04.7. Had a 2:04.1 lined up but someone couldn't get out of the way fast enough

Last edited by SYT_Shadow; 08-21-2020 at 09:48 PM..
Appreciate 3
DRLane3988.50
CanAutM321116.50
NYG10741.00
      08-21-2020, 12:25 PM   #1121
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post

Full list of mods:
MCS suspension, Alcon-Bimmerworld brakes, solid front thrust/brake bushing, rear seats removed, BK harness bar, Sparco Ergo seats and 6 points

Time: 2:04.7. Had a 2:04.1 lined up but someone couldn't get out of the way fast enough
When are you going to share the review / pictures on the new Alcons
      08-21-2020, 01:31 PM   #1122
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post

Full list of mods:

When are you going to share the review / pictures on the new Alcons
ah yes pictures.
here are some. i should probably do an introductory thread about the brakes but first would like to sell my rear ap radical 9449
Appreciate 0