BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

04-24-2021, 12:55 PM   #1
Alpine_F82
Just Building My M4 Track Car
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15’ M4 Alpine

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Hey so I just installed the oil catch can because I have been replacing the oil and within 1000miles it says Add a quart of oil, so I changed the oil level sensor and the problem persisted, so I installed the bms oil catch can 3 days ago and just checked it today after 140miles if driving it looks like it has a lot of oil/fluid in there for 140miles or driving. I'm thinking the PCV system needs to be replaced? What should I do, I notice, After a couple near redline pulls the car throws a oil light everytime add 1 quart I thought it was crazy but I guess I'm dumping 1quart when I go racing.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 01:48 PM   #2
JamesGames
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 550i|F82 M4|F48 X1|VA STi

That's not normal if it's only 140 miles.. what oil are you using and are you tuned ?

I have been running the BMS oil catch can and check every 2-5k miles. So far I've never been able to pour anything out, only light residue that can be wiped off, however I'm stock tune for 5+ years now.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 06:10 PM   #3
Alpine_F82
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGames View Post
That's not normal if it's only 140 miles.. what oil are you using and are you tuned ?

I have been running the BMS oil catch can and check every 2-5k miles. So far I've never been able to pour anything out, only light residue that can be wiped off, however I'm stock tune for 5+ years now.
Yes I'm stock Besides for k&n drop ins and MPE exhaust. I used the 0w-40 bmw oil that all the M3's and M4's have in The manual outside the United States, but switched back to 5w-30 when I took the tune off. used to have a jb stage 1 on it but took it off and went back to stock I only had it on 8k miles.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 09:19 PM   #4
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

If you are a quart low frequently then you're burning oil or leaking somewhere. The oil catch can is for catching oil/water vapor that blows by your rings. What's in your can looks normal. The amount can vary by location. I've noticed running higher ethanol content definitely fills it faster.

Check your OCC frequently and dump it, but you really need to find out where your engine oil is going...
      04-24-2021, 10:08 PM   #5
Alpine_F82
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
If you are a quart low frequently then you're burning oil or leaking somewhere. The oil catch can is for catching oil/water vapor that blows by your rings. What's in your can looks normal. The amount can vary by location. I've noticed running higher ethanol content definitely fills it faster.

Check your OCC frequently and dump it, but you really need to find out where your engine oil is going...
But I just installed the catch can 3 days ago about every 1kmiles it says I need a quart of oil. So it looks like it's going into the occ imo but we'll see over time I guess. I drive my car hard though I don't push it near redline a lot only when racing I tend to keep it under 6000-6500 at most but do a lot of mountain runs and it has 70k miles now it's gotten worse with time it used to be about 1kmiles before oil change then 3-4K miles before oil change now it's every 1k miles. But engine runs fine and no codes in reader or problems with engine make no since lol. Any insight on what it could be?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 12:38 AM   #6
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

I agree with TJ. Sounds like you’re burning oil if you’re needing to top off every 1K miles.

If you think your catch can will hold a liter of oil, you must have a massive catch can!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 02:47 AM   #7
Alpine_F82
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
I agree with TJ. Sounds like you're burning oil if you're needing to top off every 1K miles.

If you think your catch can will hold a liter of oil, you must have a massive catch can!
Nah, like I said I installed it 3 days ago, before this it has been going back into the engine. So 3 days for that type of fluid to be there is insane to me. I didn't go through a liter of oil in 3 days but in 1000k miles and I drove 140 miles over the past 3 days. So that's around 7.1 times the amount that is currently in there if at 1000miles. But idk
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 08:41 PM   #8
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Is your exhaust bluish (burning oil)?

You may have a faulty oil level sensor.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 10:04 PM   #9
Alpine_F82
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post

No and also I changed the oil level sensor thinking that may be the problem but it wasn't
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 06:27 AM   #10
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine_F82 View Post
Quote:

No and also I changed the oil level sensor thinking that may be the problem but it wasn't
You very easily could burn 1 QT while racing. That's not unheard of.

So let's omit possible causes

Bluish smoke / oily exhaust tip - No
Faulty oil sensor - No
Oil in coolant - No
Oil in wiring harness leading to the sensor?
Oil leaki accumulating on the underbody tray?

Unfortunately burning 1QT/1k miles is per german automakers not considered excessive.

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 12:14 PM   #11
Alpine_F82
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Faulty oil sensor - No
Oil in coolant - No

Unfortunately burning 1QT/1k miles is per german automakers not considered excessive.
There is nothing in underbody tray I did notice one turbo is leaking oil through the seal tho but not much, besides for that it's dry. I just don't see 3 roll races going through, it burning 1 liter of oil. Engine temp is always fine too. I don't understand it, I always do the maintenance on it too since warranty ran out. If I drive it normal it would last 1kmiles if I Immediately fill it up and do a race 3-4 roll races it needs a liter of oil. I mean it's gotten worse over time it used to be 5-8k miles for 1 liter of oil depending on how I drove it. But now it's bad, but no codes or any engine problems, I filled it up with 3 liters over maybe a 3-4 week period and dumped it because I thought I might be over filling it and sensor was bad but when I dumped it it was 1 liter short. So it's definitely not a electrical issue, it's a engine issue imo
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 02:07 PM   #12
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Faulty oil sensor - No
Oil in coolant - No

There is nothing in underbody tray I did notice one turbo is leaking oil through the seal tho but not much, besides for that it's dry. I just don't see 3 roll races going through, it burning 1 liter of oil. Engine temp is always fine too. I don't understand it, I always do the maintenance on it too since warranty ran out. If I drive it normal it would last 1kmiles if I Immediately fill it up and do a race 3-4 roll races it needs a liter of oil. I mean it's gotten worse over time it used to be 5-8k miles for 1 liter of oil depending on how I drove it. But now it's bad, but no codes or any engine problems, I filled it up with 3 liters over maybe a 3-4 week period and dumped it because I thought I might be over filling it and sensor was bad but when I dumped it it was 1 liter short. So it's definitely not a electrical issue, it's a engine issue imo
Sorry when you said racing I thought you meant tracking.

Have your tried a 5w30 OR a 5w40?
BMW upgraded the LL01 specification in 2018 and 0w40 can't meet the new oxidation requirement.

I suppose you could do a leak down test just to see how much blow-by you're getting. As I said the oil is going somewhere.

You could also ask a BMW technician. He'll answer you within a day.

https://bmwtechnician.com/

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 11:52 PM   #13
Alpine_F82
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Faulty oil sensor - No
Oil in coolant - No

Sorry when you said racing I thought you meant tracking.

Have your tried a 5w30 OR a 5w40?
BMW upgraded the LL01 specification in 2018 and 0w40 can't meet the new oxidation requirement.

I suppose you could do a leak down test just to see how much blow-by you're getting. As I said the oil is going somewhere.

You could also ask a BMW technician. He'll answer you within a day.

https://bmwtechnician.com/
Well I do both, just not in the past year or so, I don't really consider roll racing... racing anyways lol. I may be bringing it to a shop to get a test done
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 08:11 AM   #14
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Maybe the oil cooler has a nick in it? If so you would only leak when the oil thermostat opens, which is while driving. Just a maybe...
      11-25-2021, 05:32 PM   #15
Alpine_F82
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Update: when I took jb stage 1 off it went back to normal which was like 1 liter per oil change and also near the oil change. I switched to BM3 stage 1 with transmission GTS and have had no problems for a whole oil change and also near none in the oil catch can. So idk if the jb stage 1 regulates it Differently or not I know it's just a piggyback so that I assume was the problem
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 07:04 PM   #16
papasmurf_m3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB F80 M3

This is weird. Did you ever do a compression or leakdown test?

ecutek - bend calibration pro tune - flex fuel - mpe - stock turbos - oem+
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 07:09 PM   #17
Alpine_F82
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by papasmurf_m3 View Post
This is weird. Did you ever do a compression or leakdown test?
Dealer did, everything was normal
Appreciate 0