ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

View Poll Results: Euro Delivery M4 or Cayman GT4
M4 46 36.80%
GT4 79 63.20%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

12-25-2015, 12:00 PM   #1
ANYC
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Lava Orange 991.2 C4S & X5 50i

M4 Project vs Cayman GT4

Hi all,
I am fairly new around here but I have been lurking for a while. This forum is one of the reasons I've decided to move forward with a euro delivery M4. However, after watching some youtube videos and reviews I am starting to contemplate whether or not I should consider a Cayman GT4 instead. I think its important for everyone to know that this is purely a weekend car. I will only drive it in the summer and hopefully I'll get to bring it to the track to start working on my track driving. I have a leased X5 50i for daily driving which I am really enjoying.

I currently have told my dealer that I want to do an ED M4 and the general manager is out looking for a chassis allocation. The build is as follows:
AW
6 Spd
Cloth Seats
CCBS
LED Headlights
Adaptive M
Black 19in Wheels
MSRP is 78645 and I'm paying 72k for the car (inclusive of the -5% ED)

I plan on making a quite a few mods to the car over my ownership. I tend to get bored of cars quite quickly and I feel as if modding the M4 will not only keep me entertained but also teach me a lot more about tuning.
I plan on removing the back seats, putting in an AWE non-res exhausts, new seats, roll cage, stripping out most of the carpet weight, lowering the car, running meth and some sort of ECU/Piggyback tune, perhaps installing pure turbos ETC.

Over the next 3 years I can probably afford to spend about 115k in total on the car which means the debate is this:

Do I spend less money up front and gain the experience of working on the M4 myself or do I buy a GT4 and leave it pretty close to stock?
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2015, 12:18 PM   #2
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

I'd go with a Cayman all day everyday based on those terms. Would not even need to be the GT4 for me!
      12-25-2015, 12:20 PM   #3
addicted2bimmers
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 X5, E39 525i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4hedy
Hi all,
I am fairly new around here but I have been lurking for a while. This forum is one of the reasons I've decided to move forward with a euro delivery M4. However, after watching some youtube videos and reviews I am starting to contemplate whether or not I should consider a Cayman GT4 instead. I think its important for everyone to know that this is purely a weekend car. I will only drive it in the summer and hopefully I'll get to bring it to the track to start working on my track driving. I have a leased X5 50i for daily driving which I am really enjoying.

I currently have told my dealer that I want to do an ED M4 and the general manager is out looking for a chassis allocation. The build is as follows:
AW
6 Spd
Cloth Seats
CCBS
LED Headlights
Adaptive M
Black 19in Wheels
MSRP is 78645 and I'm paying 72k for the car (inclusive of the -5% ED)

I plan on making a quite a few mods to the car over my ownership. I tend to get bored of cars quite quickly and I feel as if modding the M4 will not only keep me entertained but also teach me a lot more about tuning.
I plan on removing the back seats, putting in an AWE non-res exhausts, new seats, roll cage, stripping out most of the carpet weight, lowering the car, running meth and some sort of ECU/Piggyback tune, perhaps installing pure turbos ETC.

Over the next 3 years I can probably afford to spend about 115k in total on the car which means the debate is this:

Do I spend less money up front and gain the experience of working on the M4 myself or do I buy a GT4 and leave it pretty close to stock?
IMO the GT4 is more of a garage queen track car. GT4 will probably have a more raw feeling because of it being N/A, high revving and has all the bits and peices of a racecar. You would have to add a few things to the m4 as you listed to make it as raw as the gt4. But you can daily and track the m4 which would be harder in the gt4. Both amazing cars none the less.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2015, 12:59 PM   #4
ANYC
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted2bimmers View Post
IMO the GT4 is more of a garage queen track car. GT4 will probably have a more raw feeling because of it being N/A, high revving and has all the bits and peices of a racecar. You would have to add a few things to the m4 as you listed to make it as raw as the gt4. But you can daily and track the m4 which would be harder in the gt4. Both amazing cars none the less.
I guess the thing for me is that I will openly admit that I don't know how to drive well on the track. So I wonder if the M4 should serve as the car that I learn on before moving to a garage queen track car. And perhaps through working on the car I will learn more about what makes cars quicker around the track.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2015, 01:25 PM   #5
Bowser330
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: i3 REX

Stripped M4 with upgraded turbos and upcoming port injection over the gt4 stock.

If you're going to be spending over 100k over the next three years why not get a certified preowned 911 turbo and use the leftover funds to tune it up.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2015, 01:33 PM   #6
addicted2bimmers
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I guess the thing for me is that I will openly admit that I don't know how to drive well on the track. So I wonder if the M4 should serve as the car that I learn on before moving to a garage queen track car. And perhaps through working on the car I will learn more about what makes cars quicker around the track.
Well one won't help you learn how to drive on the track better than the other or at all. That's something personal. But I like what bowser 330 said below. A used 997 911 turbo 6 speed would be great if you're worried about damage to a brand new car on the track. They're plenty fast and great all around.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2015, 01:49 PM   #7
ANYC
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Well one won't help you learn how to drive on the track better than the other or at all. That's something personal. But I like what bowser 330 said below. A used 997 911 turbo 6 speed would be great if you're worried about damage to a brand new car on the track. They're plenty fast and great all around.
Yeah I get that. The CPO 911 is a good suggestion. What I meant was that by being able to work on and adjust various aspects of the M4 I can see what helps make the car quicker around the track. Suspension adjustments, aero adjustments, tunes etc. I wouldn't have that flexibility on a more expensive car because I wouldn't be able to afford the parts. I would have to finance the difference between the GT4 and the M4. Is that misguided?
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2015, 01:51 PM   #8
ANYC
Enlisted Member
Rep

I think that for the first year or so of ownership I won't have much time to spend on the track and that the car will function as a weekend warrior. Then, as I gain track experience, and as I have more available time, I will spend more time on the circuit.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2015, 01:57 PM   #9
addicted2bimmers
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I think that for the first year or so of ownership I won't have much time to spend on the track and that the car will function as a weekend warrior. Then, as I gain track experience, and as I have more available time, I will spend more time on the circuit.
If I understand correctly you want the m4 to mod to your taste to be a track star, not something that is already a track car and that doesn't require many mods?
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2015, 02:22 PM   #10
ridin135
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day

For what your needs are I don't even see why you are entertaining the M4. You just want a weekend summer track car. Thats what the GT4 is no mods necessary and you have all the adjustment you need from the factory. Though I would suggest not touching a thing until you figure out how to drive it around the track in stock form. Your biggest problem will actually be getting a GT4 as they are sold out and no more allocations are on there way for the 981. There are some slightly used ones for sale but you will be paying a premium. I would even look into a lotus or dare I say an alfa. If you want to go the american route I would go viper everyday of the week, though this would be a rough first car for the track.
      12-25-2015, 02:55 PM   #11
ANYC
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
If I understand correctly you want the m4 to mod to your taste to be a track star, not something that is already a track car and that doesn't require many mods?

Right but at the same time I am completely aware that neither the M4 nor I will set lap records as a stick.
I also don't know if I feel comfortable spending my entire car budget on the car itself. I feel as if that puts me at risk should something bad happen and I need to replace a wheel or a tire or something unforeseen. The 72k for the M4 gives me a reserve in the event of a catastrophe. This is also my first 2 door sports car.

This might sound odd but I'm not sure I've earned a car as great as a GT4 (even if i could get one). I'm not skilled enough to approach its limits.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2015, 03:11 PM   #12
addicted2bimmers
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Right but at the same time I am completely aware that neither the M4 nor I will set lap records as a stick.
I also don't know if I feel comfortable spending my entire car budget on the car itself. I feel as if that puts me at risk should something bad happen and I need to replace a wheel or a tire or something unforeseen. The 72k for the M4 gives me a reserve in the event of a catastrophe. This is also my first 2 door sports car.

This might sound odd but I'm not sure I've earned a car as great as a GT4 (even if i could get one). I'm not skilled enough to approach its limits.
True. An m4 is easier to reach its limits and be replaced and has cheaper parts but the way you seem to want to modify it might be a greater monster than the gt4. But I guess that's what u might want. Putting the car together peice by peice as much as you can handle.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2015, 07:39 PM   #13
Account Closed
Smarty Pants
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtabi View Post
I'd go with a Cayman all day everyday based on those terms. Would not even need to be the GT4 for me!
It's a no brainer....GT4. It is a completely different car and made to race on a track. The M4 is NOT a track car (even though people think it is...it isn't) Just because a car comes with the option of carbon ceramic rotors, doesn't mean that car can take heavy punishment every weekend. It's a BMW with some power and a dual clutch, it's not a track car. The M4 is a fast, high-performance road car, but not a "track" car....not something you want to push to it's limits. Clutches are burning, trannies are taking a poop, and engines are blowing all over the country, because people think that the M4 can take 10 laps back to back of hard downshifts and redlining every gear......that engine wont be around long.

The GT4, though....it's something you might be able to get away with. If you're looking for high performance for the street and want a comfy but powerful car...choose the M4 for the price, but the GT4 has a little bit extra something....you get to own a GT4, and the experience might be more rewarding.

Good luck with your choice. You'll be happy with either one.

Last edited by Account Closed; 12-25-2015 at 07:47 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-25-2015, 07:40 PM   #14
Account Closed
Smarty Pants
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridin135 View Post
For what your needs are I don't even see why you are entertaining the M4. You just want a weekend summer track car. Thats what the GT4 is no mods necessary and you have all the adjustment you need from the factory. Though I would suggest not touching a thing until you figure out how to drive it around the track in stock form. Your biggest problem will actually be getting a GT4 as they are sold out and no more allocations are on there way for the 981. There are some slightly used ones for sale but you will be paying a premium. I would even look into a lotus or dare I say an alfa. If you want to go the american route I would go viper everyday of the week, though this would be a rough first car for the track.
Agree 100%. Finally, someone who knows something.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2015, 08:38 PM   #15
damnitBobby
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Definitely get the GT4. Nothing beats a true sports car.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2015, 10:21 PM   #16
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' M3

Agree with what everyone else says.

If you are only looking for a weekend track car, I wouldn't be looking at an M4.

The M3/4 is more of a family daily driver that is more fun (and capable) than most , if not all, 4 seaters, but it will never replace a true 2-seat sports car.
13' Audi TTRS (APR stage 1, MSS springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' M3 Interlagos Blue: 6sp, Tech.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2015, 11:17 PM   #17
Deddie
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

The fact that everyone on a M3/M4 forum is saying "get the GT4" tells you how much this is a landslide in favor of the GT4. Based on what your are looking for and ready to fully invest, the M4 would be behind several other cars on my list. GT4 all the way.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2015, 10:01 AM   #18
chillindrdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: anything with 4 wheels

GT4 ftmfw

Mod that too. Tho' NA doesnt leave much on the table, unless you add FI

That said, id go, CAI, cat delete, exhaust, cams, software for the GT4
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2015, 10:06 AM   #19
ridin135
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillindrdude View Post
GT4 ftmfw

Mod that too. Tho' NA doesnt leave much on the table, unless you add FI

That said, id go, CAI, cat delete, exhaust, cams, software for the GT4
Surprisingly (I have seen preliminary dyno's) the GT4 with stage 2 tune, race headers, exhaust, and plenum gain 60whp. Not to shabby for an NA motor, granted that is still almost 8k in mods.
      12-26-2015, 11:06 AM   #20
ANYC
Enlisted Member
Rep

I know that the GT4 is the better car but I still entertain and lean towards the M4 for the following reasons:

I don't have to go into debt to purchase it. Instead I have some reserve cash to start modding and to protect myself should something bad happen to the car ie. cracked rim, tires, etc.

I am on the younger side and I haven't owned a 2 door sports car yet, jumping right into the GT4 would be fine and I would enjoy it but I feel like I am not able to appreciate how much better the GT4 is over the M4.

If I were to move forward with a GT4, I would forgo the experience of modding and working on the car myself - I'd have no money. Working on the car myself is a skill I have wanted to gain.

Yes I want to spend time on the track but if I am being realistic, I'll probably see the track 3 times this summer. Most of my driving will be out on Long Island or through some back roads in Upstate NY. I think that after 3 years with the M4 I'll be at a point in my life where I can more comfortably afford something like a GT4 and actually use it for what its meant for. But at this point, it seems foolish to spend so much on a car that I wont be able to use it like I want to.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2015, 04:23 PM   #21
EfEightyM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Bedrosian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtabi View Post
It's a no brainer....GT4. It is a completely different car and made to race on a track. The M4 is NOT a track car (even though people think it is...it isn't) Just because a car comes with the option of carbon ceramic rotors, doesn't mean that car can take heavy punishment every weekend. It's a BMW with some power and a dual clutch, it's not a track car. The M4 is a fast, high-performance road car, but not a "track" car....not something you want to push to it's limits. Clutches are burning, trannies are taking a poop, and engines are blowing all over the country, because people think that the M4 can take 10 laps back to back of hard downshifts and redlining every gear......that engine wont be around long.

The GT4, though....it's something you might be able to get away with. If you're looking for high performance for the street and want a comfy but powerful car...choose the M4 for the price, but the GT4 has a little bit extra something....you get to own a GT4, and the experience might be more rewarding.

Good luck with your choice. You'll be happy with either one.
Plus 1.

GT4 without a doubt (my vote incorrectly went to m4 on the poll). Best road car in the world, better performance and far (far far) better handling. On top of that the GT4 will only appreciate in value.

Last edited by EfEightyM3; 12-26-2015 at 04:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2015, 06:08 PM   #22
chillindrdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: anything with 4 wheels

Quote:
On top of that the GT4 will only appreciate in value.
I wouldnt put your nest egg in that. Looks like the current bubble will be bursting soon, if not already. Word is that production numbers are gonna be nearly twice as much as what was originally announced (if not more).

The Cayman lacks the 911 heritage, which doesnt make it as appealing to collectors/aficionados.

I dont think this really matters to the OP, but i dont think GT4s will appreciate. Maybe hold value or depreciate less.

(I am gonna get flamed for this) but I personally have a dim opinion of folks that buy high performance cars purely for collection and basically garage queen them.

These cars (GT4, GT3, GT3RS, M3/4, M4GTS, etc.) deserve an owner that will drive them often, spiritedly, and on a track.
Appreciate 2