R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

04-16-2021, 12:29 PM   #5699
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
More like 3,544lb in it's lightest config, but close enough

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1077612
It may have been 3605. It has been quite a few years. AccelJunky is who weighed it on his scales. He lives right up the road from me.

EDIT: Ha I was way off. He even quotes me in the thread. It was my F80 we weighted
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 12:58 PM   #5700
R N M
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
But lets be honest comparing an M3 to a 911 is laughable.
Why is it laughable?

I’m not comparing performance but pricing trends even regular 911s (forget GT3s) are up in price and that’s with the new 992 generation being out a few years now.

I think a low mileage M3 with desirable color will always have good resale especially with the hideous G80 turning off so many buyers.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 01:33 PM   #5701
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by R N M View Post
Why is it laughable?

I’m not comparing performance but pricing trends even regular 911s (forget GT3s) are up in price and that’s with the new 992 generation being out a few years now.

I think a low mileage M3 with desirable color will always have good resale especially with the hideous G80 turning off so many buyers.
Yeah I didn't just mean from performance. Every 911 has gone up in value even the 996 which is ugly. It's a completely different level than any BMW IMO.

Also as I stated earlier this is the F80 section so mostly F80 owners but I just don't see it as being a special car like an E30, E46 or E9x. None of which sell for averages of $60k+.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 01:52 PM   #5702
CT_M3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 DCT Competition

There's another factor in play here:

If you like ICE vehicles, this is likely close to the last hurrah before we go EV.
Everyone's been talking about COVID effect, but the bigger one is likely this and will last longer.

Quote:
I have 2018 F80 Comp with 6.5k miles in Yas Marina. Had a independent dealer offer me $60k.

Issue is there is nothing great to buy and all the other desirable cars are even crazier. M3s are an absolute bargain when you look at GT3 prices or any decent 911 for that matter.
Appreciate 4
ntg442888.50
MFNATIK3498.00
RugbyBro7601.50
      04-16-2021, 06:08 PM   #5703
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_M3 View Post
There's another factor in play here:

If you like ICE vehicles, this is likely close to the last hurrah before we go EV.
Everyone's been talking about COVID effect, but the bigger one is likely this and will last longer.
If this is the end of the ICE era, I'm more than happy to hang onto my F80 and E46 since both are fun and practical cars. Seems like a waste to get a G8x and have payments for a car that is only marginally better than its predecessor. I would be more than happy to get into the next generation of BMW EVs and pass on the iX and i4 for now. I'm sure they have a lot of kinks to still work out and they are nowhere close to having a decent set of autonomous driving aids.
Appreciate 2
      04-16-2021, 07:01 PM   #5704
R N M
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Yeah I didn't just mean from performance. Every 911 has gone up in value even the 996 which is ugly. It's a completely different level than any BMW IMO.

Also as I stated earlier this is the F80 section so mostly F80 owners but I just don't see it as being a special car like an E30, E46 or E9x. None of which sell for averages of $60k+.
All M3 generations have also gone up in value.

M3 and 911 have very similar hard core enthusiasts that support the brand.

Obviously the 911 is more $$$ but pricing trends are very similar.
Go try to find a nice E36, E46, E9x M3 for good price lol. E30 is obviously way gone now. These cars in 10yrs will be even more $$$ because there is now demand for them in countries that never had them like China even. A lot of these sought after cars are going out to Middle East, China, Russia etc. Lots of wealth now around the world that didn’t exist even 20yrs ago.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 07:22 PM   #5705
MFNATIK
United_States
Rep

My biggest regret when it comes to BMWs is not buying an E30 M3 back in 2000 for 7k (fixer) or a like new one for 15k.
Appreciate 1
GERMAN M34181.00
      04-16-2021, 10:37 PM   #5706
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
There has been a recent discovery that the 996 is actually one of the best handling 911's. Seen some reviewers recently saying in an interview the 996 GT3 quite possibly has the best steering of any 911. They were talking about 996 prices climbing. I think it was Harris, don't remember exactly.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 10:42 PM   #5707
hellrotm
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFNATIK View Post
My biggest regret when it comes to BMWs is not buying an E30 M3 back in 2000 for 7k (fixer) or a like new one for 15k.
My biggest regret is selling either of the E46 M3's I had. Out of all the generations I have owned, I miss those the most. One was smg and I even miss it.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 10:53 PM   #5708
CT_M3
Lieutenant
Rep

That's kinda how I'm looking at it. The only other ICE car I would get is a Cayman GTS, 911 C4S, 911 Turbo.

Actually, even for EV, I'd skip the first 2-3 years of full adoption. The tech will change so fast our cars will feel like phones.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 10:53 PM   #5709
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

So, I just briefly went through the MT first drive of the GTI. I'm sorry, but BMW really has no excuses here. That car appears so refined and well appointed relative to its price. Appears to handle and drive great too. Most of all, if VW can make a large 4 door hatch with a 7 speed dual clutch weigh under 3100 pounds, BMW can make a performance sedan/coupe with a DCT under 3300, or certainly 3500. Any reasoning or explanation to the contrary is just pure horse $#!+.
Appreciate 3
minn1914034.50
GERMAN M34181.00
      04-16-2021, 10:57 PM   #5710
hellrotm
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_M3 View Post
Actually, even for EV, I'd skip the first 2-3 years of full adoption. The tech will change so fast our cars will feel like phones.
That is why I will only lease an EV. Not getting stuck with an outdated EV, when solid state batteries arrive and change the game completely.
Appreciate 1
CT_M31478.00
      04-16-2021, 10:57 PM   #5711
CT_M3
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
All M3 generations have also gone up in value.

M3 and 911 have very similar hard core enthusiasts that support the brand.

Obviously the 911 is more $$$ but pricing trends are very similar.
Go try to find a nice E36, E46, E9x M3 for good price lol. E30 is obviously way gone now. These cars in 10yrs will be even more $$$ because there is now demand for them in countries that never had them like China even. A lot of these sought after cars are going out to Middle East, China, Russia etc. Lots of wealth now around the world that didn’t exist even 20yrs ago.
Anedoctally, I saw an E30 for sale locally. $90K!

My old E46 that I sold is now about $30ish K and climbing. P cars still take depreciation hit for the first few years but its not as severe as some BMW M cars. The F10 comes to mind; saw a few 2016s for like 40ish K just before Covid (yes, they are reliability nightmares).
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 10:59 PM   #5712
CT_M3
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellrotm View Post
That is why I will only lease an EV. Not getting stuck with an outdated EV, when solid state batteries arrive and change the game completely.
Totally agree. Don't rush this, I'd wait even 5 years for SS batteries to arrive.
I'm done with cars for the next few years... the industry is about to undergo a big shift here. My gut feel is over the next 5-10 years, ICE performance cars will just keep their value or start appreciating.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 11:03 PM   #5713
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, E46 & M3, F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Yep, among other goodies! I'll need to sell the suede steering wheel/armrest/e-brake/shift knob (...with custom suede around the knob done by IND), CF rear diffuser, springs, spacers, black grilles, black fender gills, front lip, etc.

Haha! I'm merely in contemplation mode. We shall see.
Do share the price with me good sir
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 11:23 PM   #5714
MFNATIK
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My biggest regret is selling either of the E46 M3's I had. Out of all the generations I have owned, I miss those the most. One was smg and I even miss it.
I switch back and forth throughout the week and the two cars are so different in feel. The E46 is really visceral feeling, especially with the top down. I get to hear the rasp of the S54 as I bang out 6-8k shifts on the SMG and each time you get that thump, it just feels so direct and raw. I remember having an E36 back in the day and it was not as fun as the E46 to drive. Not sure if people know but E46s can be insured as classic cars now but you can't drive it more than 3500 miles a year.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25100.00
      04-16-2021, 11:31 PM   #5715
MFNATIK
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Agree, I went through two i3 leases as well. Those cars depreciated like rocks. However, Tesla leases are not advantageous financially unless you can write them off. But the upside is if you buy they do retain their values well due to their constant software updates. A 2021 has the same features as a 2020, as a 2019, as a 2018, etc. Until they switch the hardware up, but even then you can pay to upgrade the CPUs. I would have sold our Model 3P and gotten an i4 had they not styled it with that shit grille. If it had looked like an i8 sedan I would have gotten one in a heartbeat.
Appreciate 2
      04-17-2021, 09:14 PM   #5716
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
So... how's everyone's Saturday?

Saw another G22 M440i yesterday. White. (Only my 2nd spotting btw)

Also, I will continue to complain about idiots driving on the freeway in the right lane going very slow then proceeds to slam on its breaks because a car that is three car distance away from her stepped on his breaks.

F$#! GRRR
CT_M31478.00
stein_325i25083.00
      04-17-2021, 09:31 PM   #5717
CT_M3
Lieutenant
Rep

I saw 2 today!..... at the dealership.

Haven't seen one in the wild yet (maybe I'm just not out enough).

Actually, I'm ok with those folks because the ones on the right tend to be cautious. Its the ones who pass you and cut in front of you in the middle or left lanes, then proceed to squat in the lane while others pass you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
So... how's everyone's Saturday?

Saw another G22 M440i yesterday. White. (Only my 2nd spotting btw)

Also, I will continue to complain about idiots driving on the freeway in the right lane going very slow then proceeds to slam on its breaks because a car that is three car distance away from her stepped on his breaks.

F$#! GRRR
Appreciate 2
      04-18-2021, 05:19 PM   #5718
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Looks like BMW has released more specs and information on the xDrive models.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Press
Munich. More performance, more driven wheels, more inimitable M feeling. Just a few months after the new BMW M3 Sedan and BMW M4 Coupé went on sale, BMW M GmbH is adding another two variants to the model line-up by offering the M xDrive all-wheel-drive system for the high-performance sports cars in the premium midsize segment for the first time. Precisely channelling the engine's power to all four wheels brings supreme dynamic prowess to the BMW M3 Competition Sedan with M xDrive (fuel consumption combined: 10.1 – 10.0 l/100 km [28.0 – 28.2 mpg imp] in the WLTP cycle; CO2 emissions combined: 231 – 228 g/km in WLTP) and BMW M4 Competition Coupé with M xDrive (fuel consumption combined: 10.1 – 10.0 l/100 km [28.0 – 28.2 mpg imp] in WLTP; CO2 emissions combined: 230 – 227 g/km in WLTP).

The power from the 375 kW/510 hp straight-six engine fitted in the new models is directed via an eight-speed M Steptronic transmission with Drivelogic. The M-specific all-wheel-drive system then divides it between the front and rear wheels as required to enhance agility, directional stability, traction and track-focused dynamics at all times. This allows the driver to experience an intoxicating interpretation of the hallmark M performance characteristics reflected, among other things, in even quicker acceleration. The launch of the BMW M3 Competition Sedan with M xDrive and BMW M4 Competition Coupé with M xDrive will get underway in July 2021.

M xDrive and Active M Differential for superior handling dynamics.
The M xDrive system's specially tuned power transmission control already provides a smile-inducing alternative to classical rear-wheel drive for a host of high-performance models from BMW M GmbH. Teaming up with the all-wheel-drive system is the Active M Differential, which also ensures fully variable distribution of drive torque between the rear wheels as the situation demands. This helps to transfer the drive torque to the road without any loss of power, especially when the car is being pushed hard or has less grip on one side. The M xDrive system and the Active M Differential – complete with its integrated M-specific traction control – link up with the Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) system to ensure precisely judged interaction for the driving situation at hand. The clear aim here is to produce a supremely dynamic driving experience blending the customary M feeling with noticeably enhanced traction and directional stability.

The M xDrive system uses an electronically controlled multi-plate clutch in the transfer case for smoothly adjustable, fully variable distribution of drive torque between the front and rear wheels. The multi-plate clutch's oil supply has been optimised to keep the variable power splitting mechanism performing effectively even under hard driving on the track. The task of transmitting power to the front and rear differentials is handled by driveshafts engineered specifically for the BMW M3 Competition Sedan with M xDrive and BMW M4 Competition Coupé with M xDrive. The output shafts that relay the drive torque to the wheels are likewise bespoke items. The all-wheel-drive system has a rear-biased setup in classic M style. Normally, the drive power is channelled entirely rearwards, with the front wheels only being brought into play when the rears cannot feed any more power to the road.

The transfer case features a bespoke control unit and integrated wheel slip limitation. This enables it to compensate for any differences in rotational speed between the front and rear wheels exceptionally quickly without having to involve the central DSC management. This results in enhanced all-wheel-drive performance whose principal effect is to further intensify the sense of unshakable poise for which M models are renowned in highly dynamic driving situations, such as powering through corners in a controlled drift.

The improvements in traction, handling stability, agility and dynamism brought about by the combination of M xDrive and Active M Differential also translate into superior sprinting ability. The BMW M3 Competition Sedan with M xDrive and BMW M4 Competition Coupé with M xDrive both need just 3.5 seconds to reach the 100 km/h (62 mph) mark from standstill, making them 0.4 seconds quicker here than their rear-wheel-drive equivalents.

The dynamic transmission of power to the road in the BMW M3 Competition Sedan with M xDrive and BMW M4 Competition Coupé with M xDrive takes place via standard M light-alloy wheels measuring 19 inches in diameter at the front axle and 20 inches at the rear. The forged wheels in twin-spoke design with a Jet Black finish are fitted with tyres measuring 275/35 R19 at the front and 285/30 R20 at the rear. Specially designed track tyres with the same dimensions are also available as an option.

Major technical modifications optimise performance characteristics.
The all-wheel-drive technology in the new BMW M3 Competition Sedan with M xDrive and BMW M4 Competition Coupé with M xDrive is complemented by a double-joint spring strut front axle redesigned for these models and featuring specially adapted front axle geometry and an individually tuned steering ratio. These extensive bespoke modifications for the all-wheel-drive system ensure that both the existing pure rear-wheel-drive variants and their new M xDrive siblings stand out with their engineered-without-compromise, signature M steering characteristics. The all-wheel-drive models additionally benefit from a specially adapted version of the engine oil supply system designed to handle extremely dynamic performance.

Three M xDrive modes enable a customised M feeling.
M xDrive also allows the driver to tailor the all-wheel-drive system's characteristics and performance to the driving situation and their individual preferences. The desired setting can be selected directly from the Setup menu of the M-specific operating system, where there is a choice of three different power transmission modes. In the default 4WD setting, the all-wheel-drive system offers maximum traction and precisely controllable handling while maintaining a distinctly rear-biased power split at all times. Activating 4WD Sport mode directs an even greater proportion of the engine's torque to the rear wheels, even in extremely dynamic driving situations, resulting in sharper agility. The linear build-up of lateral forces so characteristic of M models now also makes it possible to execute controlled drifts. Drivers can also switch off the DSC system altogether and engage 2WD mode, where drive power is relayed solely to the rear wheels. If the optional M Traction Control is fitted, traction can be finely adjusted through ten stages in this setting in the same way as on the rear-wheel-drive models. This form of power transmission without any intervention from the chassis control systems to stabilise the vehicle allows seasoned drivers to enjoy a driving experience of remarkable purity and hone their skills with the help of the optional M Drift Analyser.

Drivers can set and store their preferred M xDrive mode as part of the two individual M1 and M2 configurations, together with the settings for engine characteristics, damper response, steering characteristics, braking system and other parameters. Either configuration can then be called up instantly at any time by pressing one of the two M buttons on the steering wheel.

Individual M feeling: six models each with their own character.
By adding two all-wheel-drive model variants to the range, BMW M GmbH now offers an unrivalled variety of high-performance midsize models. The BMW M3 Sedan (fuel consumption combined: 10.2 – 9.9 l/100 km [27.7 – 28.5 mpg imp] in the WLTP cycle; CO2 emissions combined: 231 – 226 g/km in WLTP) and BMW M4 Coupé (fuel consumption combined: 10.2 – 9.9 l/100 km [27.7 – 28.5 mpg imp] in WLTP; CO2 emissions combined: 231 – 226 g/km in WLTP) offer a unique selling point over their rivals in their combination of rear-wheel drive and a six-speed manual gearbox. Drive power in the BMW M3 Competition Sedan (fuel consumption combined: 9.8 – 9.6 l/100 km [28.8 – 29.4 mpg imp] in WLTP; CO2 emissions combined: 224 – 219 g/km in WLTP) and BMW M4 Competition Coupé (fuel consumption combined: 9.8 – 9.6 l/100 km [28.8 – 29.4 mpg imp] in WLTP; CO2 emissions combined: 224 – 219 g/km in WLTP) is likewise directed to the rear wheels, here via an eight-speed M Steptronic transmission with Drivelogic.

This quartet is now joined by the newly arrived BMW M3 Competition Sedan with M xDrive and BMW M4 Competition Coupé with M xDrive. This means the latest model generation already spans six vehicles with distinct characters, each providing their own individual recipe for a sublime high-performance sports car offering unrestricted everyday usability. And customers will soon find even greater scope for matching M's distinctive approach to high-performance driving with their personal style when the new edition of the BMW M4 Convertible joins the model range later this year
https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/globa...-m3-and-bmw-m4
Attached Images

04-18-2021, 05:28 PM   #5719
dms-01
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3

I didn't read all that but one thing is for sure they will be quick. Almost wonder how many will prefer AWD vs RWD and what happens to the 6MT?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 05:32 PM   #5720
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dms-01 View Post
I didn't read all that but one thing is for sure they will be quick. Almost wonder how many will prefer AWD vs RWD and what happens to the 6MT?
Don't be surprised if both the 6MT and RWD are gone by the next generation. I'd actually expect it.
Appreciate 1
dms-011134.00