BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

08-03-2021, 04:53 PM   #23
Fahrzeugtechnik
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groganrocket View Post
I just went and checked mine and it looks just like yours, but M3 only has 5200 miles.
The golden glitter loks normal for me Open a lot S55 Engine and all had these golden Glitzer.
Appreciate 1
      08-03-2021, 10:28 PM   #24
Groganrocket
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 e90 335i and 2015m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahrzeugtechnik View Post
The golden glitter loks normal for me Open a lot S55 Engine and all had these golden Glitzer.
Glad to know thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2022, 09:40 PM   #25
sly1types
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80M3 and E46M3

Hey guys, I went to change my oil and saw this.

I have had the car for almost 4years and have never seen anything like this so I thought it looked like copper from bearings, but this thread has me questioning it.

Any updates.

It's a 2016 with 70k. Thinking about getting some WPC rod bearings put in.

https://youtube.com/shorts/hng4z07OXxY?feature=share
F85 X5M
https://www.instagram.com/fastmacm3/
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2022, 06:08 PM   #26
cliffordm4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 ZCP Imola Red 6MT

In case anyone's curious, BMWNA told me - quite rudely, in fact - to pound sand. A (rough) excerpt of our dialog:

BMWNA: "Well the dealership deemed it to be normal"

Me: "Well how could they deem it to be normal if they filed a PUMA case - used to inquire about situations that are clearly NOT normal"

BMWNA: "Regardless, it's been deemed normal"

Me: "So there's no other form of diagnostic or inspection you're willing to perform?"

BMWNA: "We've deemed it to be normal"

Me: "But no BMWNA engineer has looked at the car - in fact, no one besides the dealer tech has looked at the car"

BMWNA: "Doesn't matter, we think it's normal"

Me: "OK, let me paint you a picture. My warranty runs out and a rod bearing spins. You refuse to cover it under warranty and I have a bill for $25k in my hand and you'll have a federal complaint in your hand shortly thereafter since I notified you of the issue and you failed to honor the warranty contract to which we are both parties"

BMWNA: "Well, we've deemed this issue to be normal"

Arghhhhhhh.....
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2022, 10:31 AM   #27
Twistm4
I Drag Race My Track Car
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Mine looked the same and I sent it into blackstone. Everything was above average health.

I think the bearings are oversized so that when they naturally get eat into they don't really ever die.

Cutting up all my filters and seeing others do the same, I do think its normal.

80k miles now beating the piss out of it. 5w40 helps.
      04-02-2022, 12:52 PM   #28
sly1types
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistm4 View Post
Mine looked the same and I sent it into blackstone. Everything was above average health.

I think the bearings are oversized so that when they naturally get eat into they don't really ever die.

Cutting up all my filters and seeing others do the same, I do think its normal.

80k miles now beating the piss out of it. 5w40 helps.
Do have a copy of your blackstone report? I can't imagine it didn't show up as a decent amount aluminum or copper. I hope to get my blackstone back by the end of the week. I'm going to have the bottom opened up and replace the rod bearings and see what they look like. Worst case it's just wasting a few grand for peace of mind.

I wanted to do WPC coated, but looks like all the colors aren't in stock. So I think we are just going to do OE and order both complete color sets.
F85 X5M
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2022, 04:17 PM   #29
sly1types
Captain
Rep

Maybe this is "normal" as the engine gets older. This is what blackstone said. I took a baby spoon and shoveled like 10 scoops the metal oil in the sample jar.

Not sure what my plan is now…
Attached Images

F85 X5M

Last edited by sly1types; 04-08-2022 at 04:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2022, 11:37 AM   #30
Twistm4
I Drag Race My Track Car
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly1types View Post
Do have a copy of your blackstone report? I can't imagine it didn't show up as a decent amount aluminum or copper. I hope to get my blackstone back by the end of the week. I'm going to have the bottom opened up and replace the rod bearings and see what they look like. Worst case it's just wasting a few grand for peace of mind.

I wanted to do WPC coated, but looks like all the colors aren't in stock. So I think we are just going to do OE and order both complete color sets.
This was literally sent in with the heading: Financial Mistake Lol, and I told them about all the metal in the filter.

If you open up the motor to prematurely do bearings I can almost promise the risk of install error or debris seating new bearings is going to outweigh the potential possibility of any failure down the road. I now have 82,000 miles.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Blackstone report.pdf (78.2 KB, 97 views)

Last edited by Twistm4; 04-09-2022 at 11:44 AM..
Appreciate 1
      04-09-2022, 12:21 PM   #31
sly1types
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistm4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sly1types View Post

This was literally sent in with the heading: Financial Mistake Lol, and I told them about all the metal in the filter.

If you open up the motor to prematurely do bearings I can almost promise the risk of install error or debris seating new bearings is going to outweigh the potential possibility of any failure down the road. I now have 82,000 miles.
I'm not doing the rod bearings myself. I'm having Chicane Motorsport in Olathe KS do them. They probably do at least one bmw a week with rod bearings. They are one of the largest BMW/euro shops in whole Midwest.

Also if it is metal from a bent rod they will be doing a full build with CP Pistons, Carillo rods, Supertech valve springs and Ferra valves.

So I should know more in the next 2 weeks.
F85 X5M
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2022, 02:41 PM   #32
cliffordm4
Private First Class
Rep

Just as a quick update, BMWNA has finally agreed to send an engineer to look at the car.
Appreciate 1
TopJimmy5457.00
      04-17-2022, 09:32 PM   #33
Groganrocket
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 e90 335i and 2015m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornfedSUV View Post
Just as a quick update, BMWNA has finally agreed to send an engineer to look at the car.
Keep us updated, when are they going to check it out?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2022, 08:53 PM   #34
sly1types
Captain
Rep

Here is what they look like. The other pic is my oil change history.
Attached Images

F85 X5M
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 09:33 AM   #35
cliffordm4
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groganrocket View Post
Keep us updated, when are they going to check it out?
They came and inspected the car on May 5th - the TSE took the oil filter for further inspection (I never got to interact with him, but my RO had a warrantied oil filter on it when I picked the car up). No word from BMWNA yet.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2022, 09:00 AM   #36
brad65ford
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3

11,500 miles and have the same. 3 oil changes done prior mine, car was complete stock and actually looks to have been very well maintained, personally whens someone wraps the whole enter car with PPF I'm impressed lol.

Anyway, my first oil chance with the car i removed oil and didn't noticed any metal since I wasn't looking for it, but I did pull the filter and leave to to dry out for a week. After opening up the pleats of the filter I was surprised to see alum colored larger flakes in there (they stick to a magnet). This is the kind of thing one would see from the first oil change not the 3rd or 4th... Moving forward, I ordered another oil filter and just changed it after 200 miles, going to let the filter dry out again to see if there are large flakes again (will take pictures when its dry). But I did noticed the same metallic oil look (small flakes in the oil) just like OP posts as well as others shared when you remove the filter from its housing. The filter is definitely catching it but sadly putting it back in since it drains back every time you shut the motor off (hence this is out we are seeing it when we remove the oil filter).

Don't care what anyone says, no motor after broken in should do this. How long will it last like this,,,,, not sure but its sadly disheartening. Have a feeling most all s55 do this, crazy they last as long as they do stock or modded...
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2022, 05:40 PM   #37
brad65ford
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad65ford View Post
11,500 miles and have the same. 3 oil changes done prior mine, car was complete stock and actually looks to have been very well maintained, personally whens someone wraps the whole enter car with PPF I'm impressed lol.

Anyway, my first oil chance with the car i removed oil and didn't noticed any metal since I wasn't looking for it, but I did pull the filter and leave to to dry out for a week. After opening up the pleats of the filter I was surprised to see alum colored larger flakes in there (they stick to a magnet). This is the kind of thing one would see from the first oil change not the 3rd or 4th... Moving forward, I ordered another oil filter and just changed it after 200 miles, going to let the filter dry out again to see if there are large flakes again (will take pictures when its dry). But I did noticed the same metallic oil look (small flakes in the oil) just like OP posts as well as others shared when you remove the filter from its housing. The filter is definitely catching it but sadly putting it back in since it drains back every time you shut the motor off (hence this is out we are seeing it when we remove the oil filter).

Don't care what anyone says, no motor after broken in should do this. How long will it last like this,,,,, not sure but its sadly disheartening. Have a feeling most all s55 do this, crazy they last as long as they do stock or modded...

First darker filter has 2k miles on it after filter change. Second lighter color filter has 150 miles on it and already has some metal flakes. Why at 12k miles is it still wearing in or will it always wear?

Name:  282310512_693034675314376_8357121481811940926_n.jpeg
Views: 957
Size:  234.7 KB

Name:  280668514_717498542771192_8511954353571574799_n.jpeg
Views: 942
Size:  201.6 KB

Last edited by brad65ford; 05-25-2022 at 07:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2022, 08:18 PM   #38
Vandaljimenez
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Any update on what BMWNA concluded in their investigation, OP?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2022, 09:52 AM   #39
saikumarmeka
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffordm4 View Post
Any update from BMW engineer ever since?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2023, 06:34 PM   #40
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

We're still trying to come up with rod bearing issues for these cars?

Jesus Christ people, drive the damned cars and stop worrying so much. How can you possibly enjoy the driving experience when you're listening to the motor constantly, tricking yourself into thinking you're hearing rod knock, glitter in the oil, holding your breath on every oil change, waiting in desperate anticipation as the Blackstone oil report comes back, checking the mail every day.

ENJOY THE CAR OR SELL IT.

/thread
Appreciate 5
ron_s5524.00
MJBO2614.50
The_Werm212.00
      01-01-2023, 08:06 PM   #41
Vandaljimenez
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
We're still trying to come up with rod bearing issues for these cars?

Jesus Christ people, drive the damned cars and stop worrying so much. How can you possibly enjoy the driving experience when you're listening to the motor constantly, tricking yourself into thinking you're hearing rod knock, glitter in the oil, holding your breath on every oil change, waiting in desperate anticipation as the Blackstone oil report comes back, checking the mail every day.

ENJOY THE CAR OR SELL IT.

/thread
Lol… idk how me wanting an update on this whole thing is tripping you out. I never said I didn’t enjoy my car either. Wanting to know the reasoning behind excessive metal in the oil, doesn’t constitute me having to sell my car either. What if I told you I have zero metal in my oil and zero knocks on idle, but this thread peaked my interest toward its direction?

I don’t have my crank hub done, and I’m pushing decent power on a custom full E85 tune. And trust me, I push my car every chance I get. It’s just information I’m after, nothing threatening.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2023, 08:10 PM   #42
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandaljimenez View Post
Lol… idk how me wanting an update on this whole thing is tripping you out. I never said I didn’t enjoy my car either. Wanting to know the reasoning behind excessive metal in the oil, doesn’t constitute me having to sell my car either. What if I told you I have zero metal in my oil and zero knocks on idle, but this thread peaked my interest toward its direction?

I don’t have my crank hub done, and I’m pushing decent power on a custom full E85 tune. And trust me, I push my car every chance I get. It’s just information I’m after, nothing threatening.
It's not you, it's threads like this. The F8x series is basically a tank in the history of BMW automobiles, the only things after nearly nine years anyone can even come up with trouble wise are a spun crankhub that happens about as often as hitting the lottery, and a leaking coolant reservoir. These cars do NOT have rod bearing issues, all of this oil analysis crap is a complete waste of time and money. There is simply no reason to be spending time, money, or worry on this. If an S55 spins a rod bearing, it's a complete fluke just like what happens to every engine ever created from time to time.

The internet is awful for spreading complete panic and worry where none is needed. The S55 does not suffer from rod bearing issues.

The end.
Appreciate 2
      01-01-2023, 08:38 PM   #43
Vandaljimenez
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
I completely agree, thus me not giving into the crank hub crap.
I guess I just wanted to know every possible outcome from these engines since I plan on keeping mine for years and years to come.

Cheers man
Appreciate 1
NickyC17473.50
      01-02-2023, 02:50 AM   #44
Dabeamerking
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
It's not you, it's threads like this. The F8x series is basically a tank in the history of BMW automobiles, the only things after nearly nine years anyone can even come up with trouble wise are a spun crankhub that happens about as often as hitting the lottery, and a leaking coolant reservoir. These cars do NOT have rod bearing issues, all of this oil analysis crap is a complete waste of time and money. There is simply no reason to be spending time, money, or worry on this. If an S55 spins a rod bearing, it's a complete fluke just like what happens to every engine ever created from time to time.

The internet is awful for spreading complete panic and worry where none is needed. The S55 does not suffer from rod bearing issues.

The end.
Dumb comment. S55 platform has loads of issues. Valvetronic motor, pcv valve, weak cylinder heads, 3 piece crankhub design with friction plates, rod bearings are and have been a problem on every bmw ever made so don’t tell people and misinform them that this car is bulletproof. I’ll name more problems for you, DCT slippage, Differential Bushings, differential lock, weak plastic charge pipes, leaking reservoirs. S55 sufferes from load of problems by no means is it bulletproof
Appreciate 0