GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

07-10-2019, 09:21 AM   #23
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntgarage44 View Post
As do I! I usually drive with my windows open, and always throw a thumbs up when I pass by one. They usually don't respond anything back though

I guess you gotta be a Subabro to get recognition.
Hah, just the opposite for me! Around here, the STI crowd seems to adore the M4. I'm always getting head light flashes, waves, and revs w/pops hah.

Dare I say that boxer sounds better than the S55?

Also forgot to mention, those STIs seemed to really, really, really hold their value from what I've heard?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 09:38 AM   #24
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
Hah, just the opposite for me! Around here, the STI crowd seems to adore the M4. I'm always getting head light flashes, waves, and revs w/pops hah.

Dare I say that boxer sounds better than the S55?

Also forgot to mention, those STIs seemed to really, really, really hold their value from what I've heard?
Truth.

The car I drove, 1 year old with 2500 miles, was listed for $38,200. Brand new it was about in mid $39K.

I'm all about that resale value, but what the hell haha. Plenty of 10 year old examples still in mid to high 20s. Insane.
Appreciate 1
NickyC17350.50
      07-10-2019, 09:54 AM   #25
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

I had a subie back in the day (saab 92x) fully modded to stage 2. Mods are so cheap for that car and theres a million options for you to choose from. Its a fun car and awd comes in handy but some things just bothered me every time I sat in it.

Low torque. Granted I had the EJ20 so it was weaker but I hated always playing catch up all the time at a light. Sure once the turbo kicked in it moved pretty good but under 3K it was lethargic

Interior looked ok but it feels cheap and hollow. Makes you feel like you are sitting in a hollow tin can. I added a ton of sound insulation myself which helped but still wasn't anywhere as solid as BMW

Door dings - the exterior panels were so thin it would ding if you looked at it wrong. Same with the thin paint.

All in all i spent a lot of time trying to make it like a BMW but at the end it was impossible.

Alan
      07-10-2019, 10:09 AM   #26
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
I had a subie back in the day (saab 92x) fully modded to stage 2. Mods are so cheap for that car and theres a million options for you to choose from. Its a fun car and awd comes in handy but some things just bothered me every time I sat in it.

Low torque. Granted I had the EJ20 so it was weaker but I hated always playing catch up all the time at a light. Sure once the turbo kicked in it moved pretty good but under 3K it was lethargic

Interior looked ok but it feels cheap and hollow. Makes you feel like you are sitting in a hollow tin can. I added a ton of sound insulation myself which helped but still wasn't anywhere as solid as BMW

Door dings - the exterior panels were so thin it would ding if you looked at it wrong. Same with the thin paint.

All in all i spent a lot of time trying to make it like a BMW but at the end it was impossible.

Alan

I feel you on the low end torque comment. In my opinion, the problem was the WRX's gearing with the 5 speed. My '09 was much more powerful in stock form, and the 5-60 was still atrocious. But once it hit 3500 RPM it punched so hard to redline. However, the STI gearing is so much more aggressive that it really did not feel that way to me, at least enough for me to notice on the test drive. 2nd gear went to 59 mph vs. my old WRX at 72 mph.

On the interior - well, it is a Subaru. I don't think anyone can make it a BMW if they tried. But for the price, I was satisfied with it. Interiors just don't bother me that much one way or another. Step into a 90s/ early 2000s Chevy interior - those are miserable.
Appreciate 1
minn1913970.00
      07-10-2019, 10:19 AM   #27
M3GymNut
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3Comp

If you're looking at getting the 20 STI then go for it. I wouldn't get the Type R like others have mentioned. It's FWD and won't compare to AWD when it comes to feel and handling. It also looks overly exaggerated in all of it's lines and angles. I had 2011 Evo X and loved hating on the Subies Miss those days...
Appreciate 1
cotmfk2023.50
      07-10-2019, 10:24 AM   #28
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
I feel you on the low end torque comment. In my opinion, the problem was the WRX's gearing with the 5 speed. My '09 was much more powerful in stock form, and the 5-60 was still atrocious. But once it hit 3500 RPM it punched so hard to redline. However, the STI gearing is so much more aggressive that it really did not feel that way to me, at least enough for me to notice on the test drive. 2nd gear went to 59 mph vs. my old WRX at 72 mph.

On the interior - well, it is a Subaru. I don't think anyone can make it a BMW if they tried. But for the price, I was satisfied with it. Interiors just don't bother me that much one way or another. Step into a 90s/ early 2000s Chevy interior - those are miserable.
Still do IMO for the new GM anything.

I don't mind the new Subie interiors, they actually aren't that bad.
Appreciate 1
NickyC17350.50
      07-10-2019, 11:25 AM   #29
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Just some casual browsing about the car, it looks like a new fifth gen is coming next model year (2021)....so I guess that would be next summer/late fall? If thinking about one of these cars, I'd certainly wait until then.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 11:38 AM   #30
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
Just some casual browsing about the car, it looks like a new fifth gen is coming next model year (2021)....so I guess that would be next summer/late fall? If thinking about one of these cars, I'd certainly wait until then.
Valid point, but at the rate these puppies depreciate, why wait? I'll probably get a higher trade in value from the old STI than my stripper M3 by that time
Appreciate 2
NickyC17350.50
cotmfk2023.50
      07-10-2019, 12:16 PM   #31
cotmfk
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Valid point, but at the rate these puppies depreciate, why wait? I'll probably get a higher trade in value from the old STI than my stripper M3 by that time
It's insane. People are selling 10 year old ones with 100k miles for over $10k easily. Should be closer to $2k, but no...
      07-10-2019, 01:19 PM   #32
2011zx10R
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
I know it’s strange coming from this forum, but I had a day off today and had the urge to take a newer STI for a test drive so I found a dealer local to me with a 2018 with 2500 miles. My thoughts:

The good:

- the suspension feels so much better than my base m3. Tighter, stiffer, but not at all what I’d call uncomfortable. Shocks definitely handle bumps with less floatiness but absorb impact really well.

- the Recaro seats are just as good if not better for my wider frame. Greatly prefer them to my M3 seats with the side bolsters not bothering me in the slightest. Very comfortable and supportive.

- the shifter action and feel is fantastic. The car I drove had the short shift kit, but if I was to buy one, I would keep stock shifter. I’ve come to really enjoy the longer throws from the M3 transmission, but the feel is nonexistent compared to the Subaru, and I really miss that.

- the car feels quick. It’s not bonkers like the M3, but I really appreciate the peaky nature of the ej257 combined with the transmission’s close gear ratios. Plenty for just having some fun on the street.

- interior is plenty fine. I’m no brand snob or anything, but it feels appropriate for its price point and performance. The wheel leather, shift knob, and seats all feel great, and that’s all that really matters to me.

- I enjoyed the exhaust so much more than my M3. Popular opinion or not, I liked it better.

- interior room is stupid huge. I don’t know how, but Subaru maximized every cubic inch of that interior and trunk.

The not so good:

- seating position is really high vs the M3. When I got in, I thought it was raised, but it was at its lowest setting already. The car makes up for it with more headroom, but I can see how it would bother some. Personally, I could live with it.

- clutch pedal feel is not as good as the M3. It’s very springy feeling, with the pedal getting stiffer the closer you get to the floor. Makes 1st gear takeoffs somewhat inconsistent, but I’m sure this just takes time to get used to. My old wrx was like this, but I had forgotten what that felt like, and came to really appreciate the M3’s pedal feel.

- didn’t have the opportunity to test the brakes thoroughly, but they definitely have less initial bite than the M3. Easier to live with, but I’ve already adapted by this point. Neither + nor -, just an observation.

Overall, I was pretty impressed with the car. I initially wrote the car off in 2015 because of the carryover engine, but I think I might prefer it now since the aftermarket is so well developed (and CHEAP ). The car felt really good as a whole, and with the upgraded pistons coming in the 2020 model year, highly considering making the switch. I know this might be an unpopular move, but I don’t consider myself a brand snob or loyal to any one make. I kinda miss that all weather traction that my M3 just can’t provide in Chicago winters, not that I expected it to. Regardless, it was fun as hell to drive, and I thought I’d share my experience with the car
If VW made the Golf R with a sunroof and 400HP stock, I would have never picked up the M3.

That said; the M3 is a phenomenal car and has exceeded my expectations!

One of the few cars that makes you smile just parked in the driveway!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 04:17 PM   #33
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotmfk View Post
It's insane. People are selling 10 year old ones with 100k miles for over $10k easily. Should be closer to $2k, but no...
I was looking at 06 evo IX RS and many are priced at $24k, for a 13 year old car with over 50k miles.

If those are really the transaction prices that’s Porsche GT car levels of value preservation
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 08:01 PM   #34
M3 Esq
Automobilist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5, 911 GT3

I would totally have an STI as a DD. It's kind of a throwback in terms of having an analog experience. Old school hydraulic steering, rod actuated shifter, only comes in manual, old school turbo laggy engine that needs to sit up in the revvs to make power. Looks wise it's adolescent looking and the interior materials are lacking the quality of a 40k car. But the AWD system is where they spend the $$. I think they drive great. I say go for it now because the new ones won't offer the same analog driving experience. YMMV
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 10:03 AM   #35
six-n-twins53
Amateur Tattoo Artist
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Esq View Post
I would totally have an STI as a DD. It's kind of a throwback in terms of having an analog experience. Old school hydraulic steering, rod actuated shifter, only comes in manual, old school turbo laggy engine that needs to sit up in the revvs to make power. Looks wise it's adolescent looking and the interior materials are lacking the quality of a 40k car. But the AWD system is where they spend the $$. I think they drive great. I say go for it now because the new ones won't offer the same analog driving experience. YMMV
Well said
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 06:33 PM   #36
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 -Smurfy Blue Vinyl

I had a highly tuned manual 2015 WRX awhile back which I traded for a DSG 2016 Audi S3 which I highly tuned (fun fact, I was featured on a smoking tire one take:
) and then I sold that to get my current manual f80 M3.

I hated the WRX and S3 for its understeer nature, but for some reason I miss the subie the most. The community, ease of mods and general pocket knife attitude of the car was very appealing. I’d take it to the track then take it snowboarding and it wouldn’t even bat an eyelash. I did spend a lot on my wrx to make it wide body so I could put 285/35/18 square to combat understeer, but whatever. Subie life!!!

The funny thing is, I’ve always dreamt of buying an M3 and when I finally got it, it wasn’t all that I wanted. Now after a year of getting to know the car, modding it to my tastes and tracking the car more, it’s becoming more endearing.

I was seriously shopping for a black 2019 STI before I got my M3, but unfortunately, I live in SoCal and I’m a real estate broker and apparently appearances matter. Actually that was one issue but the main issue was that I wanted that big sti wing! My wife said no and I would never drive an sti without a wing. None of that limited sti bs!

I’ll get an sti when I’m older.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 06:47 PM   #37
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 -Smurfy Blue Vinyl

Oh you want to know another funny thing? When I was making the decision of sti vs M3, all my Subaru friends said M3 hands down. Haha none of them mentioned to buy the sti. Even the friends who worked at Subaru and would’ve gotten a sale from me.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 10:02 PM   #38
pikkagtr
Go Spurs Go
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 GR Zupra

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
I was looking at 06 evo IX RS and many are priced at $24k, for a 13 year old car with over 50k miles.

If those are really the transaction prices that’s Porsche GT car levels of value preservation
yea the values are outrages
Try looking at a low mileage clean title EVO IX MR in Wicked White
there was one for sale a few years back, proly 2012 ish with 21k~ miles IIRC for 22k$
I should have picked it up and put it in storage
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 10:53 AM   #39
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikkagtr View Post
yea the values are outrages
Try looking at a low mileage clean title EVO IX MR in Wicked White
there was one for sale a few years back, proly 2012 ish with 21k~ miles IIRC for 22k$
I should have picked it up and put it in storage
It's the strangest thing. Nobody wants them when they're new, but everyone's willing to pay almost the same prices for a highly used one once they're gone.
This must drive automakers crazy.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 12:01 PM   #40
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
It's the strangest thing. Nobody wants them when they're new, but everyone's willing to pay almost the same prices for a highly used one once they're gone.
This must drive automakers crazy.
I guarantee I wanted one when they were new but I was in the $15k car budget level at the time

Pikka, I think there’s a ton of cars we all wish we picked up (eg warehouse full of 964)
Appreciate 1
minn1913970.00
      07-12-2019, 09:41 PM   #41
rnp614
Rep
Drives: OOOO

Quote:
Ugh, I know, it’s just when I sit in one, I feel like I’m piloting a Gundam mobile suit. All jokes aside, the type R makes a wingless STI look tame in comparison. I don’t think my wife would go for trading a “nice bmw” to a “Honda” with red seats haha. Maybe if I was 10 years younger and single...
Thats the damn problem...if only the actual driving experience wasnt fantastic.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 12:58 AM   #42
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

i drove an sti about 2 years ago and that genuinely must have been one of the most outdated cars i've been in years

-interior trash
-feels bigger than it is
- felt slow even for 300hp
- the engine is now a million years old

the only thing it had going for it was the sound and handling albeit the car felt oddly heavy to me... the car is now long past its prime... wait one more gen
      07-14-2019, 12:06 AM   #43
Mr Pete
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3 4.1, Golf R (daily)

OP, I had a 17 STI that I used as a daily when I lived in CO (along with my M4 at the time). It’s a great car in the snow, one of the best I’ve driven. On all seasons, I got through some bad storms and never felt unsafe. I miss owning it at times, especially when I hear that boxer rumble.

However, there are a few things about the car I hated.

1. Zero lumbar support. The seats feel nice, but boy are they uncomfortable. I had constant lower back pain. There is no lumbar support in the seats. I eventually found the perfect combo of a lumbar pillow and a towel that I used to support my lower back.

2. It drones. Well, mine came with the SPT exhaust from factory. On long drives, it was awful. No amount of sound dampening really improved the interior cabin noise. It’s a poorly sound dampened car.

3. Gearbox is so-so, 1-2 shifts always felt crunchy at times. Clutch feel was not great. However, heel toe was sooooo fun on that car. Outside of the somewhat crappy gearbox and clutch feel, the ability to heel toe so easily made the driving experience so memorable for me.

4. Very cheap plastic all around. Didn’t bother me much, but definitely a step down if you go from a F8x to a STI.

5. Big wing back there haha my wife hated it. I thought it looked cool. It does attract some attention, some bad, some good. But Subaru owners are really cool though. You get a lot of waves from fellow STI owners.

6. Super thin paint. If you’re paranoid about paint care and maintenance, this one of those cars where you get as much ppf protection in the high impact areas and just forget about it. Those rally armor flaps helped a bit. But it drove me nuts to find a new paint chip every month or so, as I don’t tail gate, always drive 2-3 car lengths behind, etc.

It’s a fun car, I loved every minute of my time owning it. I know you’ll never find the perfect car, but I personally would have never traded my M3/4, or my current M2 comp, for a STI. But to add to my garage to use as a daily, particularly if I lived in a 4 seasons part of the States? Oh yea, I’d definitely get one to use as a daily.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 11:57 AM   #44
JRF
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.1 GTS (NSX, M2, e92 gone)

well i'll weigh in

having owned two current generation STI's i'll weigh in.... I love them, and yes, they are fun as hell, and much more analog than the M2 or F80.

@ntgarage44 , i'm really surprised you didn't mention the steering on the STI. It was one of my favorite things about the STI and what I missed most in moving to an M2.

the other thing with the STI that I didn't see mentioned is resale/residual. it is very high and works in your favor if you're buying or leasing a new one.
Appreciate 0