EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

01-22-2021, 06:51 PM   #1
kchan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Porsche Taycan Base

So Porsche just announced the base model. Not super fast in a straight line (I think low 5s), but curious to see what you all think.

I tried to play around with configurator, and I almost faint. The option list is outrageous, and I wonder if getting a stripper model, is it still a decent car? I can see you can easily add 15-20K to the price. Just so sad...

And is there a likely markup or can it be at MSRP.

Porsche has always been my dream car but always curious about the pricing model...
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 11:36 PM   #2
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i, 21 911S, 24 Taycan

I don’t mind paying the Porsche tax... but not for a car that can get bitch slapped by a base Tesla Model 3.

If I’m spending $100K+ on a Porsche, it’s going to be a 911.
Appreciate 2
stein_325i25062.00
GERMAN M34181.00
      01-24-2021, 11:45 PM   #3
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
I figured someone would posted before me but I guess I’ll do so.

First and foremost, when you get into Porsche, unless it’s a base Macan with just the standard Premium Package, you should prepare to pay a certain amount for it. That is how Porsche is as a brand. Some people think it stands along the lines of Benz, BMW and Audi but in fact Porsche is slightly up higher in terms of prestige compared to the German Big three. They aren't like Bentley or Rolls Royce but you will pay more. Second, if you also care a lot about 0 – 60 numbers, unless you are looking at a Turbo S, this is the wrong brand for you. Porsche is far more about driving dynamics and feel than how fast you are going to zoom in a straight line. I will take a Porsche over a Tesla and it's bumper falling off any day of the week.

Now, with that out of the way. The base Taycan is good enough for its price. Obviously, it’s outside of the range for a lot of people still but it’s going to be more than enough for most of its customers who have been waiting for the base one. There is a reason why there are so many Taycan Turbo S sitting on lots.

It’s clear you are a bit unfamiliar with Porsche and its options. The best way, if you don’t know is to just tick the Premium Package, or select the one or two options in it that you want, then add in the range extender that is about 5k itself. The way I have done it personally, I didn’t exceed 10k in options, which leaves the car still under 90k. Which is fine, that or just leave the car as mainly a stripper and go with it. 90% of the options you see on the website are completely cosmetic or unnecessary. It is all there because Porsche wants you to build the car exactly the way you want it to, that's what Porsche is known for but again it is unnecessary.

Regarding added markups, if you go in blind, most probably yes that will happen. Especially the first year as most dealerships would have a waiting list already. They would go through that waiting list first before every else. Of course, the best way to tackle it is to find a connection with family or friends, if they have a contact with a Porsche dealership, go through that. Or, sign up on Rennlist, ask some of the members there to see if anyone is willing to help. Some would have dealership contacts that are willing to help without making you pay for a markup.

Good luck.
izzyM2701.00
BigHunk269.50
minn1914012.00
      01-25-2021, 08:53 PM   #4
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Well said Arcades. Porsche charges a premium price because it's a premium brand. Go sit in one and drive it and you will understand. Saying the model 3 is faster for less money is certainly correct but akin to saying a mustang GT is a better buy than an M3. $90k actually seems like a very fair price for the Taycan.
Appreciate 1
Arcades8159.00
      01-27-2021, 03:32 PM   #5
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Lol, wow some of you guys have a bigger hard on for the brand than the Porsche owners in my friends and family network.

I don’t mean to be a Tesla fan boy but the 1100hp model S for $134k that you can order now is going to be bonkers fast, so consider holding on to your $ before buying Taycan (5000lb and almost $200k and a lot less power)

Also, consider, 911 or gt4 as fun car and tesla of some sort as your commuter (eg $90 gt4 + $35k used model s), versus spending all your budget into Taycan.

If you want the Taycan, go for it and hope you enjoy in good health

Edit: “not super fast in a straight line (5s to 60)” I think what you mean to say is “very slow”
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 08:58 PM   #6
ZCD1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance

For the price of a base, RWD, 0-60 in 5.1 seconds 200-mile Taycan, you could have a well-equipped (there are no options other than bigger wheels/tires and “Full Self Driving” “eventually/maybe”) AWD, 0-60 in 3.1 seconds 400+ mile refreshed Tesla Model S.:

https://www.tesla.com/models

While I understand that Porsches can be amazing cars, that’s too much to sacrifice for the sake of a badge, IMO.

Last edited by ZCD1; 02-02-2021 at 09:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 11:48 AM   #7
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCD1 View Post

While I understand that Porsches can be amazing cars, that’s too much to sacrifice for the sake of a badge, IMO.
I was picking up my model 3 from the service center yesterday and there was this guy who leased a model 3P for 2 years and he was ranting hard about how the rear view camera was too small, FSD was a huge lie and would never work, and the panel gaps were not to his liking

He seemed like a prime candidate for the Civic Taycan, to be honest. good thing he is leasing so he can get out of Tesla ASAP
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 03:51 PM   #8
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Quote:

I was picking up my model 3 from the service center yesterday and there was this guy who leased a model 3P for 2 years and he was ranting hard about how the rear view camera was too small, FSD was a huge lie and would never work, and the panel gaps were not to his liking

He seemed like a prime candidate for the Civic Taycan, to be honest. good thing he is leasing so he can get out of Tesla ASAP
Quote:
Quote:

While I understand that Porsches can be amazing cars, that's too much to sacrifice for the sake of a badge, IMO.

What's service for a tesla
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2021, 09:28 AM   #9
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011ninja View Post
What's service for a tesla
Minimal. And a van will come out to your house for most service (eg when the 12v battery needed to get replaced on my car, and to replace tires)

I’m coming up on my 4yr/50k mi warranty so I’m trying to get as much looked at as I can, so I brought it in.

Here’s the service list for the teslas
  • Cabin Air filter, replace every 2 years. If equipped hepa filter every 3 years
  • rotate tires every 6,250 miles or if tread depth difference is 2/32 in or greater, whichever comes first.
  • Brake Fluid Test for contamination every 2 years and replacing as needed.
  • replace AC desiccant every 2 years for Model S, every 4 years for Model X and Model Y and every 6 years for Model 3.
  • clean and lubricate all brake calipers every 12 months or 12,500 mi for cars in cold weather regions.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25062.00
      02-13-2021, 02:31 PM   #10
bmwdrive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

It's interesting how every Tesla comparison tends to eventually lead to a price discussion. Tesla always wins that argument. Tesla is cheaper and is a great value. So is a Toyota Camry. If a Camry could magically go 0-60 in 2 seconds, would you choose it over an M3 or a 911 or a Taycan?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 05:46 PM   #11
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i, 21 911S, 24 Taycan

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf72 View Post
If a Camry could magically go 0-60 in 2 seconds, would you choose it over an M3 or a 911 or a Taycan?
If the Camry could match the acceleration, handling and feel of those German cars and cost half price or even less, I absolutely would get a Camry. I don’t need the badge whoring. Truth is no one really cares about what car you drive anyway.

I bought a 300ZX TT back in the 90s because I felt it was every bit as good as any 911 or corvette or Ferrari. If Nissan released a sports car that can truly compete with a 992 Porsche or F8x M car, I’d have no problem buying Japanese again. And no, the GTR cannot compete with a Porsche. It’s super old and outdated now and cost more than a base 911 and the Nismo cost as much as a 911 turbo S. So I’d rather get a 911 turbo w/ the launch control that you can use endlessly without voiding your warranty over a GTR.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 06:10 PM   #12
bmwdrive
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterZgo View Post
Quote:
If a Camry could magically go 0-60 in 2 seconds, would you choose it over an M3 or a 911 or a Taycan?
If the Camry could match the acceleration, handling and feel of those German cars and cost half price or even less, I absolutely would get a Camry. I don’t need the badge whoring. Truth is no one really cares about what car you drive anyway.

I bought a 300ZX TT back in the 90s because I felt it was every bit as good as any 911 or corvette or Ferrari. If Nissan released a sports car that can truly compete with a 992 Porsche or F8x M car, I’d have no problem buying Japanese again. And no, the GTR cannot compete with a Porsche. It’s super old and outdated now and cost more than a base 911 and the Nismo cost as much as a 911 turbo S. So I’d rather get a 911 turbo w/ the launch control that you can use endlessly without voiding your warranty over a GTR.
The point is that the Camry does not match the M3 or 911 in handling or feel. Neither does the Tesla. It only matches or blows away the M3 and 911 in acceleration. Everything else about the feel of the car is nowhere near Porsche or BMW M cars, but this gets forgotten when people focus only on 0-60 or $$/horsepower. For example, most enthusiasts would be appalled if Porsche introduced a car with the chassis of a Tesla.

The Tesla is a great value and amazing tech. But take away its acceleration and you more or less have a Camry. Take away the acceleration from a Porsche and you have a Cayman T.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2021, 12:39 AM   #13
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
The point is that the Camry does not match the M3 or 911 in handling or feel. Neither does the Tesla. It only matches or blows away the M3 and 911 in acceleration. Everything else about the feel of the car is nowhere near Porsche or BMW M cars, but this gets forgotten when people focus only on 0-60 or $$/horsepower. For example, most enthusiasts would be appalled if Porsche introduced a car with the chassis of a Tesla.

The Tesla is a great value and amazing tech. But take away its acceleration and you more or less have a Camry. Take away the acceleration from a Porsche and you have a Cayman T.
Did you get 18” all season tires and commuter suspension on your tesla?

That’s like putting 18” all season and f30 320 suspension on an f80 and wondering why it’s sucks so bad to drive. Lol

I pretty much completely disagree with you; I drive my model 3P way more than my 911 turbo
Appreciate 1
      02-15-2021, 12:52 AM   #14
bmwdrive
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Did you get 18” all season tires and commuter suspension on your tesla?

That’s like putting 18” all season and f30 320 suspension on an f80 and wondering why it’s sucks so bad to drive. Lol

I pretty much completely disagree with you; I drive my model 3P way more than my 911 turbo
Which part do you disagree with? The 3P has better handling/steering/chassis than your 911?

I totally understand why you might want to drive the Tesla more however. It's way more comfortable, easier to drive, more practical and faster on the street. Lots of benefits.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2021, 12:18 PM   #15
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Which part do you disagree with? The 3P has better handling/steering/chassis than your 911?

I totally understand why you might want to drive the Tesla more however. It's way more comfortable, easier to drive, more practical and faster on the street. Lots of benefits.
Quote:
most enthusiasts would be appalled if Porsche introduced a car with the chassis of a Tesla..... But take away its acceleration and you more or less have a Camry.
Those are the 2 statements I disagree with the most

Tesla chassis setup is solid, and it’s a lot of fun. Tesla + Porsche is a common setup in my friends and family group and none of us are complaining about our Tesla.

You brought up cayman T as if that was something desirable? That’s so not how I would spend $70k. Bad sound, low power.

Or think about Macan turbo. I thank everyone who buys those things, since the profits from those suv enable niche GT 911 to be possible, but I also passed on that to get model 3P. It’s a bit on the slow side for $90k and I have always found tesla model 3 more fun to drive than macan.

Enjoy your cars in good health man, and don’t rule out the EV just because they don’t make sounds. I had a huge negative knee jerk reaction to EV too until about 5 years ago. Start off with the most powerful motor and sportiest suspension config EV you can afford to give yourself the most chance to accept it. Maybe you got to spend $189k on the Porsche EV to change your mind before you move to a ‘performance’ tesla. haha

Edit: I saw a turbo S Taycan on the road the other day. Didn’t look like a $200k car, just imho.

Last edited by nicknaz; 02-19-2021 at 05:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 11:45 PM   #16
Juice247
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '17 BMW 440xi Gran Coupe

I had the chance to drive a Taycan last fall, back to back with a Panamera Turbo and a 488. The Taycan (not an S model) was quick, quiet and soulless. It was the slowest of the 3 cars, but also the least expensive. The one thing that killed it though was this: It was a hot day for a Chicago fall, and in full sun. I had the AC on and put the Taycan in Sport +. IT TURNED OFF THE AC to ensure a Sport+ experience!! So you can swelter in the heat of your fairly fast car, or you can commute in luxury, but you cannot drive your fast car comfortably.

We tried to find a way around it, but this is how it was designed. Maybe the performance of the S or the Turbo is enough to make it more desirable, but this car feels like a first gen experience.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 07:13 PM   #17
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

The updated model s for $80k is now a 0-60 in 3s car with 400+ Mi range, and $120k “plaid” is 9.2s@155mph 1/4 mile. Not to mention plaid+ that’s advertised in the 8s bone stock

Nice EV choices now for those wanting to spend $80k-$150k+ on
Appreciate 0