Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

06-13-2021, 08:24 PM   #1
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Clunk from front end/suspension

So I developed this really strange clunk that feels like it’s coming from the front suspension but I’m not really sure. I can feel this clunk through the gas pedal and it sounds almost like something is getting slapped around in my wheel well. I checked the suspension on both front wheels and everything looks good. I’ve attached a vid to show what it sounds like (I appreciate there’s a lot of noises but it’s the first noise type in the video). As additional context I just installed GC camber plates but didn’t have any of this noise at all. I also drove an auto cross event over the weekend but this didn’t develop until later that night driving in the city.

Any thoughts?

https://youtube.com/shorts/eeUIs-4EF8o?feature=share
      06-13-2021, 08:50 PM   #2
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Added another video of what I am certain is the sound. Guess it’s the plates - anyone had this? Any remedy?

https://youtube.com/shorts/YKef6puWL8k?feature=share
Adcampo871.50
      06-13-2021, 08:50 PM   #3
Suds
/M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Responsiblish

Do you have camber plates?
The spherical bearing at the top of the plate may have play that will create some play and low speed noise.
My camber plates started making noise after 30+ track days, I have bought replacement bearings but haven’t installed them yet.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 08:54 PM   #4
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suds View Post
Do you have camber plates?
Yup Ground Control. Checked those as I thought their might be some play/slop but they're locked down. Didn't have this specific sound until I drove on broke Oakland streets yesterday. Seems like it is the plates tho
      06-13-2021, 09:00 PM   #5
Suds
/M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Responsiblish

On my camber plates the noise comes from the spherical bearing moving in the plates. Not the plates being loose to the chassis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
Yup Ground Control. Checked those as I thought their might be some play/slop but they're locked down. Didn't have this specific sound until I drove on broke Oakland streets yesterday. Seems like it is the plates tho
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 09:01 PM   #6
Wanted_M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Frozen Blue M4CS

Hey man,

Check the tq on the strut top nut. GC nut is 22mm but factory is 18mm and reinspect your spherical bearing, could be a faulty one but I doubt it as you just installed it. The noise could be coming from missing rubber boot/gasket #8 below, check and see if shop installed the OEM rubber piece that goes between the spring and bottom of plate. I have Dinan HAS with TCKline with minor issues and its normal to have some noises but no major clunks.

ARM DP's/Resonated Mid-pipe | SPL links | Hotchkis bars | JRZ RS2/camber plates | K&N | Koyorad HX | Powerflex purple | Rouge | Spiegler | Speed Eng. snorkel | Vargas CBC/hub | Wagner IC | xHP | Xpel stealth ppf
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 09:14 PM   #7
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suds View Post
On my camber plates the noise comes from the spherical bearing moving in the plates. Not the plates being loose to the chassis.
Yeah that’s what I’m thinking actually - I just jacked up the front rotor and it does look like the bearing pops up slightly. We’re you able to remedy yours?
      06-13-2021, 09:16 PM   #8
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanted_M View Post
Hey man,

Check the tq on the strut top nut. GC nut is 22mm but factory is 18mm and reinspect your spherical bearing, could be a faulty one but I doubt it as you just installed it. The noise could be coming from missing rubber boot/gasket #8 below, check and see if shop installed the OEM rubber piece that goes between the spring and bottom of plate. I have Dinan HAS with TCKline with minor issues and its normal to have some noises but no major clunks.

Yup torqued down to spec and have the dust boot installed there as well. I did the install, pretty straight forward but I made sure to follow the instructions. I jacked up the front rotor and it looks like a little play in the bearing. How would one determine if a bearing is faulty?
      06-13-2021, 09:21 PM   #9
Wanted_M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Frozen Blue M4CS

Check out this video. Also what was the condition of your thrust bearing that goes under plate?
https://youtu.be/T23jlWJNwmA
ARM DP's/Resonated Mid-pipe | SPL links | Hotchkis bars | JRZ RS2/camber plates | K&N | Koyorad HX | Powerflex purple | Rouge | Spiegler | Speed Eng. snorkel | Vargas CBC/hub | Wagner IC | xHP | Xpel stealth ppf

Last edited by Wanted_M; 06-13-2021 at 09:32 PM..
Appreciate 1
RugbyBro7575.50
      06-13-2021, 09:25 PM   #10
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanted_M View Post
Check out this video.
https://youtu.be/T23jlWJNwmA
Dang yeah the bearing did come up just a tad like in Farkle’s video. I guess I’ll contact GC again to see if that bearing needs to be replaced
      06-19-2021, 05:14 PM   #11
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Just as an update - the issue was the driver's side monoball failed and the clunk was play between the bearing & sleeve. GC was great and quickly sent me another slider w/ bearing and I installed it this morning, and there is no more clunk!

Also, Mods (mkoesel), please feel free to move this to the suspension as this issue is confirmed to be suspension related.