Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

12-29-2017, 08:21 AM   #45
sleeprequired
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 m3

Has anyone put the stage 2 tune on a Dyno? I’d like to see the results.

Also Alex I think I read that you don’t touch boost at stage 2 and below, so how are you getting the extra power and how does it differ from say BPM or VF?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2017, 10:23 AM   #46
carbon//m3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: m4 vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerm1t View Post
what fuel are you running this with, and what support mods?
Supporting mods listed in my post above. I’m running 91.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2017, 10:29 AM   #47
BigDog
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB F80

I'm happy to say that I've just placed my order... review will be coming next week sometime... have high hopes... Alex has been SUPER responsive to my questions at 7am PST his time
      12-29-2017, 11:33 AM   #48
goneloco
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Do we need to be hooked up to a battery charger during this process?
2003 M3 Coupe (Sold)
1998 M3 Sedan (RIP)
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2017, 04:47 PM   #49
Alex@Alpine
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I understand fully, and I keep getting questions about everything, I try to keep everything as close as possible to OEM, with our Stage 2+ having added 4PSI boost.

There is many questions, and the question I keep getting is it warranty friendly? Will the dealer see it? At this point it is too early for any tuner to tell if it is or isn't, they are probably trying to find ways of detecting it as much as tuners are trying ways to crack the cars to be flashed. All we can say it does not effect the flash counter and you can return to stock. Is there a 100% safe tune? No, as we all saw even a couple piggyback cars are getting flagged.As far as hardware to flash the cars through OBDII almost all (if not all)use the same hardware/tools to flash the cars and the tooling is what makes it detectable or not.

If you guys are unsure and do not want to risk anything just simply wait for more tunes to post reviews and more feedback out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty View Post
Alex,
All of us are interested in knowing more about these types of details like what BuLoOoSki requested.

Most of us are not vendors on this forum and the more information we have, the easier it is to make a decision. Lot of us from N54, N55 days never stuck to one tuning house. As progress was made we moved with it. This will be the case with the S55 as well.

There seems to be so much misinformation or contradictory comments between tuning companies since the OBDII option became available, it's been very difficult to get a clear picture.

We all appreciate your posts in years past and the reasonable prices offered as well. Looking forward to more of the same.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2017, 04:49 PM   #50
Alex@Alpine
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everkidd View Post
Yikes... You're offering a tune and don't understand the targeted boost levels? You're corrected and then continue to argue the point?

How exactly was this "tune" developed without dyno time and logs? Or have you just copied the maps from the CP, CS and GTS?

I'm also curious which method you are using to avoid the flash counter and tamper code. Some of the vendors haven't been entirely truthful on their methods to date.

Here is another article stating the increase to 21.6psi boost in the GTS http://www.bmwblog.com/2016/09/14/te...ok-bmw-m4-gts/

EDIT: not trying to "argue" just want the facts while considering an OBD flash
I noticed you are both from Canada*. Friends?

I might've been wrong about the GTS, but on our maps stage .5 to 2 we do not touch the boost levels.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2017, 06:48 PM   #51
revenlymokalu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F82

So this tune from Alex is user-friendly and others are more advance and etc? I'm assuming this ain't for those people who likes to tweak their cars and more toward people that are interested in slightly enhance car and not to worry much about voiding the warranty etc? :
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2017, 10:13 PM   #52
Andym3100k
Captain
Singapore
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC FULL HAMMAN WIDE BO

So in short is don’t have it now bcos it wasn’t tested?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2017, 02:24 AM   #53
djpeetur
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Offer 30 days money back ?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2017, 03:36 AM   #54
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeetur View Post
Offer 30 days money back ?
And an unlimited mileage bumper to bumper warranty. -Doug DeMuro
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 5
      12-30-2017, 10:18 AM   #55
LLNM4
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: M4 F82 MG

Hi Alex,
I'm a (very satisfied) old customer (full codings, GTS coding package, LCI rear lights coding, EDC CS, DCT flash with multiple remote assistances).
The numbers of the GTS tune/stage 2+ on the Awron gauge are legit. I have identical power output (537Hp and 706Nm) here in The Netherlands.
I want to try all maps, the increased hp/torque display and do the cold start delete.
(during the winter months i want tol use the stock or CP like tune and in the summer the GTS plus tune.

I will be ordering next week.

Last edited by LLNM4; 12-30-2017 at 10:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2017, 01:17 PM   #56
carbon//m3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: m4 vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLNM4 View Post
Hi Alex,
I'm a (very satisfied) old customer (full codings, GTS coding package, LCI rear lights coding, EDC CS, DCT flash with multiple remote assistances).
The numbers of the GTS tune/stage 2+ on the Awron gauge are legit. I have identical power output (537Hp and 706Nm) here in The Netherlands.
I want to try all maps, the increased hp/torque display and do the cold start delete.
(during the winter months i want tol use the stock or CP like tune and in the summer the GTS plus tune.

I will be ordering next week.
I have the same numbers here.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2017, 02:00 PM   #57
4everkidd
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 AY M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuLoOoSki View Post
I am not from Canada if that was a reference to me as being the second person from Canada, and I do not know any of those who posted with their concerns.

Canada is larger than the United States in case u didn't know. Assuming two people are "friends" because they are from the same country is naive and arrogant. It's like me assuming any two in the United States are friends lol. Check google maps and see how far Calgary is from Ottawa
Woah, I thought we went wayyyy back... Igloo's right across the street from one another.

And I was not attacking, I was merely voicing my concerns on Alex's arrogance on the F80 platform (and apparently Geography).

Don't worry, i'll stay out of your thread, and take my business somewhere more knowledgeable.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2017, 09:11 PM   #58
Alex@Alpine
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everkidd View Post
Woah, I thought we went wayyyy back... Igloo's right across the street from one another.

And I was not attacking, I was merely voicing my concerns on Alex's arrogance on the F80 platform (and apparently Geography).

Don't worry, i'll stay out of your thread, and take my business somewhere more knowledgeable.
Honestly I was not trying to be arrogant, and you can ask any of my customers here I am not or at least try not to be arrogant. The day I was responding to everyone was a overall hard day. I was working on multiple cars, personal problems that day, and I was briefly viewing this thread answering.

This was my fault, for some odd reason I thought BuLoOoSki was one of the makers of BM3 so I had a altered view to his posts. BuLoOoSki as I apologized earlier and I am apologizing once again I did not mean to come off harsh or wrong, I simply thought you was someone else with an alternative motive to your postings, I will PM you to also personally apologize. I ended up speaking to one of the makers of BM3 and he explained to me his on vacation and not even on the forums at the moment, boy I felt stupid.

4everkidd I apologize for accusing you also.

To be clear, my intention here is not to achieve the highest HP tune. I am here to offer a tune that is like OEM, with OEM drive ability.

In maps .5-2 the boost maps are left untouched (no increase in boost.) Comparing a M4 GTS file to a standard M4 you will see the M4 GTS runs loads more ignition & has a more sensitive knock control, same with the CS. The threshold for super knock detection is more sensitive on a M4 GTS & CS compered to a standard M4, this means the GTS and CS will pull back sooner, in a sense more safe. This and many other changes is what I like to offer to customers, not high numbers. Safety, none of the safety parameters moved or changed on stages .5 to 2. If someone is chasing high numbers they should look at some of the other great tunes being offered.

In the almost 9 years of being a sponsor on these forums you can see how many times I have posted. The reason for this is because I do not do well with attacks. On forums there is a small group of people who are aggressive, alternative motives, looking for something to pick on, and someone to pick on, so I stay away. Majority of forum members are awesome great people, as I am dealing with at least 30-40 people a week from the forums.

I try to keep everyone happy, you can look in my threads dating back many years I have not had a single negative response from a customer.

Customers will shortly start posting dynos, logs and how they feel about the tunes. At this point everyone can judge and share their feelings.

I also like to thank AboulFad, he messaged me and told me to relax, appreciate that much.
Appreciate 7
      12-31-2017, 12:00 AM   #59
milk242
Captain
Rep
Drives: Car

Excuse my naivety, but with the cable and I guess the software you provide to flash your tunes, would it be possible to flash other people’s tunes? I’m assuming a tune file is just manipulated ecu tables that are packaged as a specific file type.

The reason I ask it because maybe in the future I would want an e85 tune and if you don’t offer it, would it be easy to get a custom tunes file from any other tuner (assuming you don’t offer one) and flash it?

Thanks.
Appreciate 1
psuwcc112443.50
      12-31-2017, 12:12 AM   #60
Alex@Alpine
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by milk242 View Post
Excuse my naivety, but with the cable and I guess the software you provide to flash your tunes, would it be possible to flash other people’s tunes? I’m assuming a tune file is just manipulated ecu tables that are packaged as a specific file type.

The reason I ask it because maybe in the future I would want an e85 tune and if you don’t offer it, would it be easy to get a custom tunes file from any other tuner (assuming you don’t offer one) and flash it?

Thanks.
In the rare case another tuning is willing to send you an open file it can be uploaded with the cable, no problem.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 02:37 AM   #61
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F-Pace SVR

How (initial) owners are willing to blindly flash their ecu without any datalogs, dynos, afr plots etc from the tuner baffles me, but kudos for risking their cars for the rest of us

Even 16 year old civic guys exercise more diligence when mod'ing

Props to buloo for having the balls to ask the right questions.....regardless of his agenda
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 09:22 AM   #62
EstrlM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BSM 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino_z View Post
How (initial) owners are willing to blindly flash their ecu without any datalogs, dynos, afr plots etc from the tuner baffles me, but kudos for risking their cars for the rest of us

Even 16 year old civic guys exercise more diligence when mod'ing

Props to buloo for having the balls to ask the right questions.....regardless of his agenda
A lot of it is based on past reputation. People don’t wait for reviews when the new iPhone comes out or new software, it’s from Apple. Alex, VF, AA, are known brands within the BMW community.

Yeah stuff happens but it’s not as blind as you are trying to make it seem. I wish they would release the actual M3 CS file or just the M3 Comp file so non comp or non CS guys could get the factory tune. On the N55 you could get the PK download or the Alpina TCU file.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 10:55 AM   #63
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Perhaps everyone should reserve judgement until alex has a chance to post the dyno charts and logs like he said he would.
Appreciate 1
mrfox148.00
      12-31-2017, 11:07 AM   #64
drkeng
Major
Rep
Drives: '18 M4 'vert Tanz Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex@Alpine View Post
Understandable.

For example, a base model M4 with newer software has burble, start up roar, and many other things that are already in the vehicles programming but disabled by a simple switch.

.... And none of the safety parameters in stage .5 to 2 have been moved up or disabled, the smallest problem with the vehicle and the vehicle will do what it normally does, display a fault, go into limp mode, pull power or all of the above.

The goal here is not max power but an OEM like solution specially for those customers who have base models and would love the small things like burbles & start up road.

Could you expound a little on the above statement regarding "new software"?
Are you saying it's like anti-dazzle LED's? Burble, etc are there, but "decoded"?
Your tune "unlocks" them?

Is a 2018 DCT "coded" differently than, say, a 2015 car?

What are you referring to when you say "safety parameters"? DSC? What else?
Just looking for as much clarification as I can.

Happy New Year!
      12-31-2017, 01:47 PM   #65
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by EstrlM3 View Post
A lot of smart people thought Apple couldn’t make phones, couldn’t compete with watches and think that Apple Car will suck. A lot of people will buy the Apple car or car with Apple software as soon as it’s released in a few years.

Alex as far as I know is a computer technology guy and he’s no reinventing the wheel. Software is software and tuning is just manipulating some data tables.

I do understand your point about tuning being slightly different than just turning on and off certain buttons as is the case with lights, high beams etc but that’s the same as taking a stock N55 and adding bubble and the PK or taking stock S55 and adding the comp pack and burble or the CS and burble or the GTS and roar.

If the safety parameters are not removed I don’t see how it’s the same as a blank tune that might blow the motor or hurt something that everyone is worried about.
The skill and knowledge required to properly tune a car is very different from the skill and knowledge required to code. Knowing how to code doesn't mean you know how to tune. He's been selling his e9x tune for a few years yet still not a single dyno posted showing whether the tune makes the claimed power (whp or chp?) or AFR vs RPM.

Your Apple example isn't even remotely the same thing - they spend years engineering and developing a new product before its release. Throwing a few "switches" without dyno tuning and data logging and then calling it a tune isn't even close to being a developed product.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 03:28 PM   #66
M3anPower
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Few months we were told that we can't have CP tune because you have to buy the files or ECU whatsoever from dealership and it cost $17k+.

How come now you're offering cp, CS, and GTS ?
Appreciate 0