BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

04-14-2021, 09:09 AM   #23
paquet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
Wouldn’t you have to contact ConnectedDrive to confirm this?

IDrive setting disabling this would be confusing. What happens if Driver 1 disables it and Driver 2 enables? Etc.

It being disabled in the App makes sense as the app is account and profile specific. But only the primary account holder can disable remote services in the portal. I am sure this is the only way to disable stolen vehicle location services. But would require logging into your web portal.
Good question - I don't know - maybe it's because I only have 1 driver setup in the portal? But yes, what if 1 person turns it off and other turns it on, that makes no sense. I wish the only way to disable the vehicle location was through the portal, but that hasn't been my experience.

To detail my experience, car goes for software update (ID6).
I go to pick up car the next day, and discover that vehicle tracking in the app couldn't find the car at the dealership while I was waiting for it to be washed before being handed over to me.
Get to car - navigate through menus to find the setting had been turned off, check box to turn it back on, restart app and app started reporting car location again.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 09:14 AM   #24
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by packet View Post
Good question - I don't know - maybe it's because I only have 1 driver setup in the portal? But yes, what if 1 person turns it off and other turns it on, that makes no sense. I wish the only way to disable the vehicle location was through the portal, but that hasn't been my experience.

To detail my experience, car goes for software update (ID6).
I go to pick up car the next day, and discover that vehicle tracking in the app couldn't find the car at the dealership while I was waiting for it to be washed before being handed over to me.
Get to car - navigate through menus to find the setting had been turned off, check box to turn it back on, restart app and app started reporting car location again.
Yeah, I understand that progression. I suspect the app locator and the stolen vehicle tracking aren't the same at all. We can see where the car was parked in the app, but the ConnectedDrive team can activate a mode that allows them to see the car in real-time.

The only way to for us to know for sure would be to contact them and get clarification I guess. But I don't get any notification in the car that features like SOS won't work, but I do get this notice if I were to use the web portal.

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 10.13.38 AM.png
Views: 1331
Size:  49.3 KB
Appreciate 1
paquet629.50
      04-17-2021, 08:31 PM   #25
OSee
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowser51 View Post
It came in handy. I forgot where I parked at a mall. lol

I can see where my F33 is right now. It's still sitting at an Alfa dealership. Every morning I send the unlock command to it. They're probably wondering what's going on.

I actually drove past today and saw a sales lady taking pictures so I stopped. Someone in CT is buying it so I left my email address in it so I can give them the history of the car.
I sold my M2. My car is sitting in a parking lot in Central California. They just completed service. It’s left unlocked at all times.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2021, 09:28 PM   #26
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

You can use it to see if the valet or dealership porters are joyriding your car. Or if your louse of a husband is cheating on you.

The one time BMW Connected saved me was when the car was at the dealer for a long period of time, waiting for parts. I happened to notice that the app said the windows were open, so I called my SA and he was like, whoops lemme take care of that
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 03:40 AM   #27
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

99% sure BMW have access to your cars location regardless of the idrive setting.
The concierge service uses your vehicle location as does the SOS emergency call service...via the on board sim card.
The cars location may also be noted in case of an accident by the Event Data Recorder.
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2021, 07:34 AM   #28
makmichalis
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i F30

Hi all, do you know whether the car's connection to ConnectedDrive enters "deep sleep" after a while?
My car, with active ConnectedDrive subscription, has not moved for a month now, as I am temporarily in a different country. I want to check current location (at home presumably), however all remote services requests fail.
Could this be due to battery voltage too low, or is ConnectedDrive getting disabled if the car has not been moved for a while?

FYI - I know there is a max 1.5-2km radius applicable to locate a car through connected drive. I am overriding my GPS position to 'simulate' my phone being at home, next to my car, so this restriction is not causing an issue. In any case, I am not seeing the 'you are too far away to locate the car' error
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 08:52 AM   #29
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by makmichalis View Post
Hi all, do you know whether the car's connection to ConnectedDrive enters "deep sleep" after a while?
My car, with active ConnectedDrive subscription, has not moved for a month now, as I am temporarily in a different country. I want to check current location (at home presumably), however all remote services requests fail.
Could this be due to battery voltage too low, or is ConnectedDrive getting disabled if the car has not been moved for a while?

FYI - I know there is a max 1.5-2km radius applicable to locate a car through connected drive. I am overriding my GPS position to 'simulate' my phone being at home, next to my car, so this restriction is not causing an issue. In any case, I am not seeing the 'you are too far away to locate the car' error
It will be disabled if the battery gets to low to prevent the system from fully draining the battery. Also, of course, once the battery is fully drained it will die then as well.

It will resume working when the car is powered on to give the battery a charge.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 08:58 AM   #30
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Not to be confused with the Vehicle Locator component of BMW Assist which allows BMW to track your car after you provide a police report of a stolen vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 09:31 AM   #31
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
I get the feeling Big Brother is watching.
Appreciate 0