proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

05-24-2021, 03:14 AM   #1
CarlosIsDead
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Need help please! Infamous tmic fail

Hi guys I'm in need of some help.

I have a 2016 f80 M3 and I had the infamous TMIC fail on me.
I noticed when I was driving and some smoke was coming out the exhaust after some downshifts.
One day I was driving and I got a drivetrain malfunction after a pull on the highway. I pulled over, turned the car off and back on after about 5 minutes and drove home, it's been parked ever since.
Mind you I've been on stage 2+ and drive the car casually, not too many pulls.
Looked up on forums and saw that this was a common issue.
When I first noticed this, I never got a sweet smell. The smoke only blew out on downshifts and smelled like burnt plastic. I checked the reservoir and it was empty. Also was going empty after I would fill it up.
I eventually ordered an aftermarket TMIC (Phoenix Racing) and everything seemed fine and car ran great. Checked the fluid and still stayed at the level I would leave it.

Now everything seems fine but after about 20 minutes of driving the car blows the smoke out of the exhaust still, with a plastic smell still and only when downshifting from 3rd to second. The smoke is not as much as before.

When replacing the old oem TMIC I saw that on the inside there was some water all over. So I thought this would resolve my issue but I'm not sure what else it could be. Could this just be some residue left from the old TMIC?? help please!
      05-24-2021, 06:42 AM   #2
Imperial328i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 MGM 328i, 2017 LBB M2

One of the threads about this has pictures of intake valves caked in coolant residue. You probably have that.
      05-24-2021, 07:12 AM   #3
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Scraper

Did you change the oil during the repair process? If leaking charge air cooler unit is 1A, contaminated engine oil should be a 1B concern.

I've seen a recent photo of coolant residue persisting on the S55 intake runners thousands of miles after repair. This is likely the area you'll need to look into after 1-2 oil change cycles.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 10:23 AM   #4
CarlosIsDead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedPiston View Post
Did you change the oil during the repair process? If leaking charge air cooler unit is 1A, contaminated engine oil should be a 1B concern.

I've seen a recent photo of coolant residue persisting on the S55 intake runners thousands of miles after repair. This is likely the area you'll need to look into after 1-2 oil change cycles.
I hope that this is just it. Can't be the intercooler since it feels cool to the touch and fluid is still in reservoir. The longer I drive the car, the more often smoke comes out. I don't know if it's something else but I am still getting a burnt plastic smell in cabin and it's embarrassing seeing all the smoke come up at a stop light.
      05-25-2021, 01:48 PM   #5
todd20
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 m4

I had the same issue as you

When I upgraded my turbos shortly after then intercooler. There was some weird residue left in the turbos too. Its probably all over inside the engine components as well. The smoke eventually went away in mine. I also changed the oil and spark plugs right away after the intercooler was changed
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 05:22 PM   #6
CarlosIsDead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd20 View Post
I had the same issue as you

When I upgraded my turbos shortly after then intercooler. There was some weird residue left in the turbos too. Its probably all over inside the engine components as well. The smoke eventually went away in mine. I also changed the oil and spark plugs right away after the intercooler was changed
That's crazy. I literally just think it's residue. I had changed the oil and spark plugs about a month before this issue happened.. should I change again??
      05-27-2021, 07:52 PM   #7
todd20
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosIsDead View Post
That's crazy. I literally just think it's residue. I had changed the oil and spark plugs about a month before this issue happened.. should I change again??
I would. Its such a small cost why not just do it it yourself. Like $100 for the plugs and maybe like $50 for oil change?
Appreciate 0