ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

11-23-2015, 08:00 AM   #1
G4BR13L
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Issues with ConnectedDrive => Spotify app on iPhone 6

Hello

I have tried to search this forum but I could not find a thread that discusses the similar problem as I am faced with.

So I picked up my F82 on Saturday morning and it comes with the Extended Smartphone Connectivity option (6NS).

Let me first say that the sound difference of hooking the iPhone to the car using a lightning cable or by streaming over bluetooth makes a huge difference!

Anyway the problem is the following: I connect my iPhone to the car using the lightning cable plugged into the USB port. Then I select the Spotify app from ConnectedDrive. Sometimes, not always, it looks like my phone gets suddenly disconnected and after a minute or so without me doing anything my phone connects again and continuous playing my music on Spotify but the same problems happens again after a minute or so. Unplugging the iPhone and plugging it back in seems to solve the problem for a while.

My first thought was that this might be related because I am streaming music over a 4G connection but I have had the same issues whilst playing an offline playlist.

Has anyone else experience the same? What could be the cause and how can I resolve it? Hearing the sound difference I am not so keen on using Bluetooth instead. Especially considering that I paid for the option 6NS especially for this integration.

I have also ordered the snap-in adapter for the iPhone 6 because using the cable is a PITA.

Last edited by G4BR13L; 11-23-2015 at 02:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 07:23 PM   #2
bigsid05
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 MG/SO M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4BR13L View Post
Hello

I have tried to search this forum but I could not find a thread that discusses the similar problem as I am faced with.

So I picked up my F82 on Saturday morning and it comes with the Extended Smartphone Connectivity option (6NS).

Let me first say that the sound difference of hooking the iPhone to the car using a lightning cable or by streaming over bluetooth makes a huge difference!

Anyway the problem is the following: I connect my iPhone to the car using the lightning cable plugged into the USB port. Then I select the Spotify app from ConnectedDrive. Sometimes, not always, it looks like my phone gets suddenly disconnected and after a minute or so without me doing anything my phone connects again and continuous playing my music on Spotify but the same problems happens again after a minute or so. Unplugging the iPhone and plugging it back in seems to solve the problem for a while.

My first thought was that this might be related because I am streaming music over a 4G connection but I have had the same issues whilst playing an offline playlist.

Has anyone else experience the same? What could be the cause and how can I resolve it? Hearing the sound difference I am not so keen on using Bluetooth instead. Especially considering that I paid for the option 6NS especially for this integration.

I have also ordered the snap-in adapter for the iPhone 6 because using the cable is a PITA.
Are you using an Apple cable? Or one made by a decent manufacturer (e.g. Anker)? I had this exact same issue when using a crap cable made by some no-name brand.

FYI - you don't need the extended BT option for this to work.
Appreciate 1
      11-23-2015, 07:50 PM   #3
sittingmongoose
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 x3mC

I have the same issue on a different car with a new pioneer head unit. It's the cable that was causing it for me. I would try using a new cable either an apple or much preferably anker

Even if the cable seems fine physically and always charges the phone. Still try a new cable.
Appreciate 1
      11-24-2015, 02:02 AM   #4
G4BR13L
Major
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sittingmongoose View Post
I have the same issue on a different car with a new pioneer head unit. It's the cable that was causing it for me. I would try using a new cable either an apple or much preferably anker

Even if the cable seems fine physically and always charges the phone. Still try a new cable.
I am using a cable from Belkin. I will give an original cable from Apple a try. I had it again this morning.

This is what I did this morning when I got in my car:
  1. Connect the iPhone to the car using the lightning cable;
  2. Start Spotify on the iPhone;
  3. Start the Spotify app through iDrive => ConnectedDrive (not always needed I think?);
  4. See the Spotify/BMW logo on my iPhone;
  5. Music starts playing through car speakers;
  6. At some point the Spotify/BMW logo is no longer displayed on my iPhone and music is paused and on my car's control display I am taken back from the MEDIA screen to the SETTINGS menu;
  7. When I then press on "play" in the Spotify app on my iPhone the music continues to play through the speakers but about 30 seconds I have the same problem again;
  8. When I unplug the iPhone and plug it back in, it starts to work again;
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 10:50 AM   #5
bigsid05
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 MG/SO M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4BR13L View Post
I am using a cable from Belkin. I will give an original cable from Apple a try. I had it again this morning.

This is what I did this morning when I got in my car:
  1. Connect the iPhone to the car using the lightning cable;
  2. Start Spotify on the iPhone;
  3. Start the Spotify app through iDrive => ConnectedDrive (not always needed I think?);
  4. See the Spotify/BMW logo on my iPhone;
  5. Music starts playing through car speakers;
  6. At some point the Spotify/BMW logo is no longer displayed on my iPhone and music is paused and on my car's control display I am taken back from the MEDIA screen to the SETTINGS menu;
  7. When I then press on "play" in the Spotify app on my iPhone the music continues to play through the speakers but about 30 seconds I have the same problem again;
  8. When I unplug the iPhone and plug it back in, it starts to work again;
Definitely sounds like a cable/connection issue. Give the original Apple cable a try.
Appreciate 1
      11-26-2015, 04:42 AM   #6
G4BR13L
Major
Belgium
Rep

A quick update on this, I have been trying an original lightning cable for 2 days now and I did not have any probs anymore so it is indeed related to the cable.
Appreciate 1
      11-28-2015, 01:22 PM   #7
sittingmongoose
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 x3mC

That's great news!! Anker cables are the way to go. They last a lot longer than the Apple cables and believe it or not they actually have a faster data transfer speed and higher power so they can charge a little bit faster. This site recently did a cable comparison to test.

http://m.thewirecutter.com/reviews/b...ghtning-cable/
Appreciate 0