Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

11-01-2021, 01:33 PM   #89
zerosnipe
Registered
Rep
Drives: 17 m3

I loved my 13 STi Wagon I bought new and drove for 5 years. That thing handled the road like a champ and was an absolute beast in the snow living in Pa.
Appreciate 1
ntg442887.50
      11-11-2021, 01:57 PM   #90
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

So I wanted to share an update since I started this thread way back when...

I finally got around to my build, and just got my STI back this week. Many parts were involved but the cliff notes are:

- 20g turbo with a 10cm hot side from Blouch Turbo
- fuel system - Pump, lines, rails, injectors, etc.
- Flex fuel
- entire intake tract, from filter to turbo
- catted downpipe with 3 inch exhaust

The end result was 360whp on 93 and 411 on e85. For reference, my stock M3 measured 390 on this same dyno.

And hoo boy, does this car RIP now, whether on 93 or e85. I'd compare the rush to an F80, but without the constant fight for traction. The power delivery feels very similar, with a ~3000 RPM kick that holds strong to redline. The close gears really amplify the experience and throw you off guard if you're not ready for it. It's a rush.

So in conclusion, and I'm well aware I'm on Bimmerpost and not NASIOC, but in this VS thread, on the street, I finally have my answer 2 years after I started this discussion. A 350-400whp STI is definitely more my jam than the F80 was. The suspension tuning, grip, and overall feeling of the car at this power level is exactly what I've been looking for in a street car.

One last thing I want to mention is my huge respect to the F8x community. You're certainly much more mature and helpful than the general community over at NASIOC and I'm sure many others. The fact that I can even post this thread and not get completely flamed out of existence speaks volumes about the general character of this community. So thank you everyone for your contributions to Bimmerpost. I've learned (and laughed) a lot.
swagon13482.50
JamesGames1326.00
      11-11-2021, 03:37 PM   #91
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Modded Subie sounds like a blast. Glad you found a match. Enjoy

Appreciate 1
ntg442887.50
      11-11-2021, 03:56 PM   #92
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntg44 View Post
So I wanted to share an update since I started this thread way back when...

I finally got around to my build, and just got my STI back this week. Many parts were involved but the cliff notes are:

- 20g turbo with a 10cm hot side from Blouch Turbo
- fuel system - Pump, lines, rails, injectors, etc.
- Flex fuel
- entire intake tract, from filter to turbo
- catted downpipe with 3 inch exhaust

The end result was 360whp on 93 and 411 on e85. For reference, my stock M3 measured 390 on this same dyno.

And hoo boy, does this car RIP now, whether on 93 or e85. I'd compare the rush to an F80, but without the constant fight for traction. The power delivery feels very similar, with a ~3000 RPM kick that holds strong to redline. The close gears really amplify the experience and throw you off guard if you're not ready for it. It's a rush.

So in conclusion, and I'm well aware I'm on Bimmerpost and not NASIOC, but in this VS thread, on the street, I finally have my answer 2 years after I started this discussion. A 350-400whp STI is definitely more my jam than the F80 was. The suspension tuning, grip, and overall feeling of the car at this power level is exactly what I've been looking for in a street car.

One last thing I want to mention is my huge respect to the F8x community. You're certainly much more mature and helpful than the general community over at NASIOC and I'm sure many others. The fact that I can even post this thread and not get completely flamed out of existence speaks volumes about the general character of this community. So thank you everyone for your contributions to Bimmerpost. I've learned (and laughed) a lot.
No flaming from me, sounds like a lot of fun!
Appreciate 1
ntg442887.50
      11-12-2021, 09:42 AM   #93
Soul Coughing
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3 ZCP

Garage List
I've driven a few modified STi's as well as wrenched on them, and they're a lot of fun; except changing the clutch! The AWD is really nice and as you said, the short gearing really makes the drive engaging on the street! Glad you've gotten it to the level you wanted it! Enjoy!
Appreciate 2
ntg442887.50
minn1913970.00
      11-17-2021, 10:30 AM   #94
M3CSinWisc
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Had a 2012 STi sedan for 6 years, such a fun car to work on and drive. It had it's quirks and aggravations (tons of rattles, shoddy piston rindlands, crap paint), but what car doesn't? I had it Stage 2 ProTuned w/ a Corsa exhaust and AEM intake, and a ton of suspension/handling mods. Car was amazingly fun, sounded so damn good, and never gave me any problems, I miss it more and more as time goes on.

Compared to my M3 CS... my STi was much more raw and engaging, despite being way down on power and handling. Love the looks of the M so much more, it's not even close. With the STi, I always felt it needed more mods to get it where I wanted it, while the M is a turnkey, complete product that doesn't require anything. I hate the idea of modding cars anymore, so this is perfectly acceptable to me.

One thing that is so similar about these M cars and my STi: the quest to eliminate interior rattles. That killed a lot of the experience for me /w the STi, and it's kind of demoralizing to see it's a thing here LOL thought I was past that w/ a more luxurious car
Appreciate 0