European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

05-24-2021, 03:59 PM   #1
downshiftapex
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Not fast enough

Advice Needed M3/M4 vs v8 6.3L C63 AMG

Hey Guys,

Last year I sold my E60 M5. It was an absolute joy to own and now I am in the market for a weekend toy. Currently I am looking into the 6.3L C63 AMG (P31 Package or 507 edition) or the F8x M3/M4. Youtube doesn't have that many comparison videos so trying to do research has been tough.

I am trying to spend under $45k and need some advice on which is the better option from anyone thats driven and or owned both.

What I like about the 6.3L C63 AMG:
- P31 Package has the connecting rods, pistons, and crankshaft from the SLS’s version of the engine and retuned to 481hp and 6-piston brakes
- 507 Edition includes the P31 and is 507hp
- Great low mileage and clean P31s on market
- The exhaust!!

What I dislike about the C63:
- Out-dated interior
- I haven't heard much about its reliability
- After owning an M-car I miss BMW
- 507 Edition is very tough to find and when I do they are over-priced. I'm not fond of paying $55k for a car thats from 2014.

What I like about the M3/M4:
- Love the M brand
- Lots of tuning potential
- Newer look & better interior
- Technology (Apple car play etc)

What I dislike about the M3/M4:
- Used market often has questionable history, multiple owners, and high mileage
- Hard to find a YMB with SO interior or a White with SO interior
- G80's questionable front end has driven the prices of the F80 platform up
- Hard to find a good deal. BMW dealership thats about 40min from me has a 2015 m4 white on black with an accident on the Carfax with 70k miles for $40k and they won't budge on price.
- The exhaust

If anyone can help guide me in the right direction that would be really appreciated. I work from home and hardly drive my daily and when I do I drive less than 100 miles a week. I am not in a rush but I really do miss having a car to decompress after a long week.

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 10:26 PM   #2
65fastback
Captain
Rep
Drives: every day

A little over a year ago I was debating the same 2 cars as you. and had very similar likes and dislikes. Prices then were "normal" depreciated values unlike the crazy jacked up situation going on now.

C63 507 or base c63 with p31
or

F82 or F80

I obviously chose a M4 ...its the better overall car in my opinion however the sound of the 204w c63 is near perfection off the shelf. it sounds like music to my ears unlike the s55 this is the worse attribute of the F8x I think.
that gen C63 feel's very dated inside these days compared to a F8x.

if you can be a bit more patient prices may come down a bit closer to earth possibly at the end of summer.
Just a couple things to think about.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 09:09 AM   #3
downshiftapex
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Not fast enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post
A little over a year ago I was debating the same 2 cars as you. and had very similar likes and dislikes. Prices then were "normal" depreciated values unlike the crazy jacked up situation going on now.

C63 507 or base c63 with p31
or

F82 or F80

I obviously chose a M4 ...its the better overall car in my opinion however the sound of the 204w c63 is near perfection off the shelf. it sounds like music to my ears unlike the s55 this is the worse attribute of the F8x I think.
that gen C63 feel's very dated inside these days compared to a F8x.

if you can be a bit more patient prices may come down a bit closer to earth possibly at the end of summer.
Just a couple things to think about.
I think what makes me like the C63 is the sound considering I'm coming from a v10. I find the P31 prices to be inflated but no where as bad as the F8x platform. For example theres a P31 C63 with 50k miles for $34k with a clean Carfax. $41k gets me a 1 owner P31 with 20k miles.

I think what gets me to have some hesitation with the C63 is I love technology and I like the newer look and feel to the F8x platform. I mainly drive 50-100 miles a week so maybe I think about does the technology and look truly matter?

Luckily I am not in a rush. I can walk to the gym and use Amazon for everything else lol. Yesterday was the first day in a week I drove my daily so I'm not in a crunch for time.
Appreciate 0