Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

09-24-2021, 01:03 PM   #1
IVM3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Spider web cracks on belt pulley? Normal?

I was just looking from the top of the engine bay down at the drive belt area and noticed what looks like spider web cracks all over the edge of the pulley in the picture below. I believe it's the edge of the pulley that the belt does not actually run on. Can anyone verify whether this is normal in their cars? I've included a picture from above, and I also circled in the diagram the part that I think I'm seeing in terms of those spider web cracks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 01:39 PM   #2
rmanm4
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F82

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [0.00]
Top of the belt is not going to tell the full story, you need to see the other side where the ridges are. Any sort of cracking is sign of aging belt.

How old is the belt and where do you live?

If its been over 4-5 years and you live in a area that gets winters, you should look at replacing your belt.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 01:42 PM   #3
IVM3
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmanm4 View Post
Top of the belt is not going to tell the full story, you need to see the other side where the ridges are. Any sort of cracking is sign of aging belt.

How old is the belt and where do you live?

If its been over 4-5 years and you live in a area that gets winters, you should look at replacing your belt.
Thanks, but it's actually not the belt I'm worried about. The cracks are in the edge of pulley itself. Looks like it's the crankshaft pulley. Looking a little closer, it might just be cracks in the paint, if it's painted. Can someone take a look at their pulley from above? Does it look the same?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 08:34 PM   #4
SCS55
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90,F30, F80

I'll try to help ya… I have an aftermarket intake and it's really hard to see my pulley but, I'm pretty sure you are looking at cracked factory paint/finish. Mine looks very similar.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 08:42 PM   #5
IVM3
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCS55 View Post
I'll try to help ya… I have an aftermarket intake and it's really hard to see my pulley but, I'm pretty sure you are looking at cracked factory paint/finish. Mine looks very similar.
Thanks so much, I really appreciate it! I feel much better seeing this is likely normal and it's a paint finish cracking as opposed to the pulley itself.
Appreciate 0