Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

05-08-2020, 09:46 AM   #1
ryanb06
Private
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Carbahn Keyed Crank Hub

I recently came across this keyed crank hub from Carbahn and it seems to be a similar design to MaxPSI but a much more reasonable price. Anyone tried this out?

Carbahn S55 Keyed Crank Hub
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 10:00 AM   #2
Tricki
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Comp

It looks more like a copy of the failed TPG hub which used the existing hub but just pinned it which made it weaker and cracked the sprocket.
Dont like it and wouldnt try it...
Appreciate 2
      05-08-2020, 11:22 AM   #3
Schultz28
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricki View Post
It looks more like a copy of the failed TPG hub which used the existing hub but just pinned it which made it weaker and cracked the sprocket.
Dont like it and wouldnt try it...
If memory serves correct, TPG never pinned the sprockets together.

This is the hub that Carbahn uses in their engine builds/crate engines. Also, it’s Steve Dinan’s company, I don’t know about you but I’ve always known Dinan to be of great quality/reliability. (Other than being overpriced, obviously) but that’s not the case here. In fact, that seems like maybe the best deal on the market.
Appreciate 2
ryanb0655.00
John_M5.00
      05-08-2020, 11:24 AM   #4
Walmart Parking Lot
Cart Attendant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Shopping Cart Comp

Anyone wanna test it? Lol
Appreciate 1
Revvvm3169.50
      05-08-2020, 05:55 PM   #5
Tricki
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Comp

First one is failed tpg and second is Carbahn. Looks very similar in design where sprocked is notched... Like tpg if you notch the sprocket it weakens the strength and fails....
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 08:25 PM   #6
terahertz
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 AW

the notch doesn't look nearly as large as the tpg one
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2021, 09:12 PM   #7
Upgradetp
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

I strongly recommend going with a different crank hub. I fell victim to using this and I regret it so much. Had I been informed beforehand I couldve avoided losing my engine.
CSF Top Mount Cooler,CSF Front Mount, Dinan Cold Air Intake, FTP Charge Pipes, VRSF J Pipe, BMP Fuel pump, Port Injection 750cc, KW V3 Coilovers, TC Kline Camber Plates, AA EL Midpipe, Pure Stage 2+ Turbos, NGK Spark Plugs, Deka Stage 3 Clutch
Appreciate 3
      09-05-2021, 09:34 PM   #8
aliiin
I use my turn signal
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota Tercel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upgradetp View Post
I strongly recommend going with a different crank hub. I fell victim to using this and I regret it so much. Had I been informed beforehand I couldve avoided losing my engine.
Sorry man, what happened?
Appreciate 1
      09-05-2021, 09:49 PM   #9
Bluer2
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
god damn, more detail bro. don't just leave us hanging like that
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2021, 09:23 AM   #10
4everkidd
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 AY M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluer2 View Post
Quote:
god damn, more detail bro. don't just leave us hanging like that
Deka DCT Clutches https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1852918

More info here.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2021, 09:53 AM   #11
Trevorstein
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Trabant

Sub'd.

09-06-2021, 10:44 AM   #12
APR-M4!
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 16 BMW M4

Uhg! I was about to buy one because Carbahn seemed to be well thought out on their products. Now I am back to worrying the cure is a bad as the disease.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 12:22 PM   #13
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i, 21 911S, 24 Taycan

Quote:
Originally Posted by APR-M4! View Post
Uhg! I was about to buy one because Carbahn seemed to be well thought out on their products. Now I am back to worrying the cure is a bad as the disease.
For things like this, installation is critical. From what I've seen on these forums, failed crank hub fixes are almost always due to improper installation.

This is like an almost 20 hour job that requires careful, precision drilling. Find a shop that has installed these a lot and have good experience and you will be fine whether you go with a 2 pin or 4 pin crank hub fix or other designs like precision dynamics keyway crank hub fix.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2021, 05:49 AM   #14
edwinm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Steve Dinan aka Yoda…If it's good enough for him it's good enough for me

Grigio Telesto M4, 6MT.
Coyote 5.0 F-150
991 GT3
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 10:17 PM   #15
Upgradetp
Enlisted Member
Rep

I had a tech at a bmw dealership do the install took a couple days for him to finish. My car was at the dealership all this time since my timing slipped but is now in the trustng hands of my mechanic and i will find out what the damage was and how much damage was done come tomorrow. The codes i read were the typical ch spun codes of timing tolerance and a lot of other codes for some reason which could be a couple of reasons. One thing for sure I will take out that carbahn ch and replace it with one from precision which I'm more confident in based off of the design and durabilty. If your car isnt a high hp and torque car then carbahn ch should be fine but i'm personally not comfortable with it in my engine. I will update the forum as soon as i find out how much damage is done but i already have a quote for going fully built which is the only logical thing to do because i know i will run into this problem again.
CSF Top Mount Cooler,CSF Front Mount, Dinan Cold Air Intake, FTP Charge Pipes, VRSF J Pipe, BMP Fuel pump, Port Injection 750cc, KW V3 Coilovers, TC Kline Camber Plates, AA EL Midpipe, Pure Stage 2+ Turbos, NGK Spark Plugs, Deka Stage 3 Clutch
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 01:41 AM   #16
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Quote:
I had a tech at a bmw dealership do the install took a couple days for him to finish. My car was at the dealership all this time since my timing slipped but is now in the trustng hands of my mechanic and i will find out what the damage was and how much damage was done come tomorrow. The codes i read were the typical ch spun codes of timing tolerance and a lot of other codes for some reason which could be a couple of reasons. One thing for sure I will take out that carbahn ch and replace it with one from precision which I'm more confident in based off of the design and durabilty. If your car isnt a high hp and torque car then carbahn ch should be fine but i'm personally not comfortable with it in my engine. I will update the forum as soon as i find out how much damage is done but i already have a quote for going fully built which is the only logical thing to do because i know i will run into this problem again.
Do you mean Precision Dynamics crank hub?
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 08:34 AM   #17
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Im sure they would not release the product unless it's been tested to work.

But If you are that worried, why not get another proven-to-work option like Insane, SSR, or Vargas?

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 07:53 PM   #18
Upgradetp
Enlisted Member
Rep

Here are photos. I just came back from my mechanic. If Carbahn stands behind their product they will cover the warranty. Time will tell.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 07:56 PM   #19
Upgradetp
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
Do you mean Precision Dynamics crank hub?
Yes from what a lot of people tell me they are good plus from what it looks like their ch doesnt really have weak points like the oem or others. When you just add 2 pins and basically use oem ch it doesn't really make a stong ch nor it definately isnt a 1 piece. in fact the design makes a weak point in the ch in all honesty. The friction plate being there doesnt really prevent much.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 09:55 AM   #20
APR-M4!
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 16 BMW M4

Quote:
Here are photos. I just came back from my mechanic. If Carbahn stands behind their product they will cover the warranty. Time will tell.
I don't see pins on that crank hub. Did they shear off?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 10:40 AM   #21
Upgradetp
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I don't see pins on that crank hub. Did they shear off?
Once the tension was let off from the timing chain the ch fell apart. It didn't break where the 2 pins are. I have 1 of the pins and will try to get the rest of the metal out today once the oil pan is dropped. I will go talk to Steve Dinan today once the shop opens. Can't say ch was installed wrong at all for 2 reasons. It would've broken over 20k miles ago and it didn't break at the pins. I'll hopefully find the other pin today.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 12:11 PM   #22
Upgradetp
Enlisted Member
Rep

Just for the record I did want to say that I'm not saying all carbahn ch will fail. To be quite honest what could've happened is that there was a fault in my specific ch with maybe a hairline fracture in the metal in production and over time became worse. With the amount of power my car makes I will definitely choose to use a different company ch based on the design alone the less parts that can potentially move/break the better. Others might be fine with carbahn crank hub I can't really say being that nobody else I know is running that ch but other proven ch such as precision or ssr and some others.
Appreciate 0