ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

Closed Thread

12-10-2018, 06:50 PM   #23
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F-Pace SVR

price aside, i do like the idea of a non-core turbo swap, it does make things a lot easier

when i went with larger turbo for my evo x, i was able to buy a complete replacement unit and it bolted right in with zero fuss, but when i was high flow'ing turbos on my r35, i had to scour market for a used set to minimise time off the road, and i ended up over paying for stock hardware.....not to mention the dice roll that these units will be 100% in working order
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 07:14 PM   #24
chetrickerman
ECUTek Master Tuner
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 YMB

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales@KRATOS View Post
Late Q1 2019
Dang, that sucks.
      12-11-2018, 09:30 AM   #25
Sales@KRATOS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: The Spirit of Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlook637 View Post
What would be the power increase with just a 22psi tune compared to OEM turbos with the same 22psi tune? That would highlight how efficient the manifold and ceramic bearings are.
If you compare the 93 octane overlay of our KRAS55Bi vs. stock turbo with BM3 tune in our press release, you can clearly see a difference of 200whp by 7k rpm. This is a pretty significant increase in power and only begins to show the efficiency difference between the KRAS55Bi and stock turbo. This difference in efficiency between the two platforms only widens as the boost is increased, as our manifold, compressor and turbine combination supports significantly more volume at higher pressure ratios while producing less heat.

Our Dual Ceramic BB technology was designed and engineered to increase thrust loads, increase durability/reliability, and have faster transient response than that of a standard journal bearing cartridge. Another key factor about our bearing technology is that it has less than 1% frictional loss as compared to a standard journal bearing which carries a minimum of 10% frictional loss.

That being said, these factors combined do highlight the drastic increase in efficiency when upgrading to a KRAS55Bi turbo system.
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2018, 09:44 AM   #26
Sales@KRATOS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetrickerman View Post
Dang, that sucks.
As a general rule we tend to be a bit more conservative with our production timelines and would much rather under promise than over promise. Chances are the general public may see the KRAS55Ti sooner than expected though.

Last edited by Sales@KRATOS; 12-11-2018 at 09:50 AM..
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2018, 09:57 AM   #27
CAOZKAN
Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: Austin Yellow M4

How does it perform vs other turbo upgrades at 91 octane? I wonder if I would get anything from them additionally vs my upgraded turbos at this level of octane since it's the only one available at my area..
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 10:20 AM   #28
///BMW Junkie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M4

I must say I'm very impressed with the sales representative here. The responses are prompt, detailed and professional👍
      12-11-2018, 10:56 AM   #29
Sales@KRATOS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAOZKAN View Post
How does it perform vs other turbo upgrades at 91 octane? I wonder if I would get anything from them additionally vs my upgraded turbos at this level of octane since it's the only one available at my area..
As a manufacturer we don't find it conducive to our business model to compare data from our turbo systems vs. other offerings on the market. We provide data solely on the products we manufacture. Also, comparing a complete KRATOS manufactured turbo system such as the KRAS55Bi with a custom designed and engineered manifold utilizing our rotor group and bearing technology vs. a stock style hybrid journal bearing turbo upgrade that many well known shops in the industry are doing, isn't really a fair assessment.

One of the major drawbacks that are inherent of stock style hybrid turbos are excessively high back pressures. As back pressure increases rotor group efficiency drops exponentially as well as increased heat and cylinder pressures. Also, the stock manifold is limited to turbine wheel size based on the stock casting, which is another major drawback.

Based on the data we provided in our press release we're certain that our compressor wheel and turbine combination flows more lbs/min, produces more horsepower, and out performs any OEM style factory fitment twin turbo upgrade system on the market for the S55 at any given octane rating. If you still would like to get an unbiased assessment of what our KRAS55Bi's capabilities are vs. other turbo offerings, we would suggest contacting Halim at HCP as we're sure he has custom tuned more turbo upgrade S55's than anyone we know and has the most tuning experience on this platform.

Last edited by Sales@KRATOS; 12-13-2018 at 09:07 AM..
Appreciate 2
      12-11-2018, 10:58 AM   #30
Sales@KRATOS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///FASTDAD View Post
I must say I'm very impressed with the sales representative here. The responses are prompt, detailed and professional👍
Thank you, we appreciate the support!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 06:13 PM   #31
blockdoc
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///FASTDAD View Post
Thank you, we appreciate the support!
Saving up now!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 07:10 PM   #32
overlook637
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
If you compare the 93 octane overlay of our KRAS55Bi vs. stock turbo with BM3 tune in our press release, you can clearly see a difference of 200whp by 7k rpm. This is a pretty significant increase in power and only begins to show the efficiency difference between the KRAS55Bi and stock turbo. This difference in efficiency between the two platforms only widens as the boost is increased, as our manifold, compressor and turbine combination supports significantly more volume at higher pressure ratios while producing less heat.

Our Dual Ceramic BB technology was designed and engineered to increase thrust loads, increase durability/reliability, and have faster transient response than that of a standard journal bearing cartridge. Another key factor about our bearing technology is that it has less than 1% frictional loss as compared to a standard journal bearing which carries a minimum of 10% frictional loss.

That being said, these factors combined do highlight the drastic increase in efficiency when upgrading to a KRAS55Bi turbo system.

So I can tell my wife that the turbo upgrade would get better mpg. As it improves efficiency.
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2018, 03:52 PM   #33
chetrickerman
ECUTek Master Tuner
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlook637 View Post
So I can tell my wife that the turbo upgrade would get better mpg. As it improves efficiency.
Absolutely!!!
      12-13-2018, 12:23 AM   #34
808elise
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: CB E46 and SG E92 M3s

Garage List
Can't wait to put this on my m2c!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 04:26 AM   #35
Notion-Za
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '16 M4 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808elise View Post
Now that's going to be a "busy" car :
      12-13-2018, 07:30 AM   #36
ICantDrive4Sht
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 Competition

Quote:
Haha, had the same thoughts lol.

Really nice to read this thread when clearly the guy writing here for kratos knows what he`s talking about, as allready mentioned above.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 08:16 AM   #37
808elise
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: CB E46 and SG E92 M3s

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICantDrive4Sht View Post
Quote:
Haha, had the same thoughts lol.

Really nice to read this thread when clearly the guy writing here for kratos knows what he`s talking about, as allready mentioned above.
I have been exchanging emails with them. Very responsive and detailed just like here.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 08:53 AM   #38
Sales@KRATOS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

We appreciate the positive feedback!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 09:01 AM   #39
chetrickerman
ECUTek Master Tuner
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [9.00]
Their customer service is very good
      12-17-2018, 09:53 AM   #40
Sales@KRATOS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railgun View Post
You guys have comp maps? Wheel trims? The usual specs for snails?
KRATOS systems are rated based on supported horsepower figures which is what we publish as far as specifications are concerned. The majority of all other information is kept proprietary as it's a valuable part our Engineering and R&D Process.

For manufacturers of universal turbochargers this information isn't kept proprietary, as compressor maps are an extremely important piece of data that needs to be published for their customers to decipher which turbocharger best fits their application and horsepower goals. That data does serve as a great tool, but can sometimes be a bit confusing for many customers that aren't really familiar with how to properly read a compressor map. As a manufacturer of vehicle specific turbo systems, KRATOS Engineers have done all the work for you and designed a compressor and turbine wheel combination based on engine VE data as well as flow characteristics required to maximize that VE as per the vehicle application.
Appreciate 3
      12-19-2018, 03:55 PM   #41
NCThreePedals
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 981 GT4/Audi Q8/F15 Diesel

I like this option, you do pay what you get for. It is steep though,

All I want is to have a 600rwhp reliable daily,

Great job guys!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 12:07 AM   #42
M3CLESS
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MW/SO M3

What did you do for fuel (port injection, fuel pump?) and tuning to achieve these numbers? I would really like to know how. I have called Motec and they said the only way is to run a dual ecu set up to retain certain stock functions due to the flexray protocol in the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 12:24 PM   #43
Sales@KRATOS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCThreePedals View Post
I like this option, you do pay what you get for. It is steep though,

All I want is to have a 600rwhp reliable daily,

Great job guys!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 12:36 PM   #44
Sales@KRATOS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3CLESS View Post
What did you do for fuel (port injection, fuel pump?) and tuning to achieve these numbers? I would really like to know how. I have called Motec and they said the only way is to run a dual ecu set up to retain certain stock functions due to the flexray protocol in the car.
All of our beta vehicles have the Fue-It PI installed with in tank pump upgrade. Also, the PI is being controlled with the Split Second controller. Motec is a great tuning platform, however it's not needed to achieve these numbers or beyond on the S55. The BM3 and Fuel-It PI will easily support these horsepower figures on E85.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread