Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

08-31-2021, 04:07 PM   #23
tke743
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 Comp

Great write-up.

21 sec is not the participant record for M2 comp on the autocross. My time was 20.356 seconds and I was told people have been faster (but they did stop things so I could get a pic of the time). We were told that Donnie Isley (Head instructor) holds the outright record at 19.450 seconds which is STUPID fast.

Last edited by tke743; 08-31-2021 at 04:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 04:49 PM   #24
MachinesWithSouls
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
Excellent write up!

I usually shoot there, but decided to take M School and your experience jives with my own.

https://machineswithsouls.com/2020/0...-bmw-m-school/
      09-01-2021, 10:20 AM   #25
eforty6_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '05 M3 6MT

Garage List
2005 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by POBA View Post
Sorry for the silly question, I am CCA member, how do you join the M chapter? Thanks
https://www.bmwcca.org/chapter/m-chapter

You can either keep your current chapter as your "home" chapter and add the M chapter as a secondary chapter (for a small fee, of course). Or you can just choose to join the M chapter. Hope that helps!

'05 BMW M3 6MT (Weekend car)
Need to stock up on some detailing products or spiff up your garage, then use my Obsessed Garage link!
Appreciate 2
POBA272.00
pseto800.00
      09-01-2021, 11:06 AM   #26
jonahk
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3

Garage List
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
2018 Porsche Macan  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Great review! I really think that the two day M school is one of the better values in motorsport "training". I remember being insanely exhausted after the 2nd day - how did you hold up?

If your local BMWCCA chapter does the 1-day school that is a killer deal as well. All in all, being able to beat on someone else's cars with great instruction is hard to find these days.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 11:18 AM   #27
POBA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by eforty6_m3 View Post
https://www.bmwcca.org/chapter/m-chapter

You can either keep your current chapter as your "home" chapter and add the M chapter as a secondary chapter (for a small fee, of course). Or you can just choose to join the M chapter. Hope that helps!
Thank you so much!! Stay safe!!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 01:45 PM   #28
Namelss
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Volvo XC90 V8 Sport

That was a great read, thanks! I was planning on doing the 1 day course when I get my M5 but now I wonder if/how I'd be able to go for 2 instead (like I pay for the second day or something). Anyone have any insight?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 03:57 PM   #29
tke743
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namelss View Post
That was a great read, thanks! I was planning on doing the 1 day course when I get my M5 but now I wonder if/how I'd be able to go for 2 instead (like I pay for the second day or something). Anyone have any insight?
I'm assuming you mean if you get a credit for m-school or m-day when buying a car. Yes, just call them and arrange to have the credit rolled into the extra course and pay the difference. Be aware that the M-Schools are expensive, but a great experience (BMWCCA has a discount). 1 day M-school is very similar to the first day of the 2 day M-school. You will get a LOT more out of the 2 day then the one day, the instruction gets more extensive.

The "Mann" corner and the "corkscrew" referenced are amazing learning experiences. The first is a maintenance throttle corner with a lift to rotate. The second is a completely blind left over a crest with a quick right as soon as the car settles, followed by a quick left then a straight into one hell of a right hander. All of this is off camber and downhill. Lots of learning to be had there.
      09-01-2021, 11:16 PM   #30
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Very thorough and informative post. Well done!

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2021, 07:28 AM   #31
BRAKE!
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachinesWithSouls View Post
Excellent write up!

I usually shoot there, but decided to take M School and your experience jives with my own.

https://machineswithsouls.com/2020/0...-bmw-m-school/
Hey! Didn't know you were a forum member here, I actually recall looking through your write up prior to attending the school and got some useful info. I updated my original post to include this link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tke743 View Post
Great write-up.

21 sec is not the participant record for M2 comp on the autocross. My time was 20.356 seconds and I was told people have been faster (but they did stop things so I could get a pic of the time). We were told that Donnie Isley (Head instructor) holds the outright record at 19.450 seconds which is STUPID fast.
TKE743, your time is AMAZINGLY fast. To be honest, it did seem like the instructor had a hard time recollecting what the actual record was... lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonahk View Post
Great review! I really think that the two day M school is one of the better values in motorsport "training". I remember being insanely exhausted after the 2nd day - how did you hold up?
^ they are not kidding when they say you'll be tired after your first day. I came back and fell asleep promptly afterwards. All those who say track driving is not a sport has never done it before.
Appreciate 3
      09-13-2021, 12:52 PM   #32
JvBMC
Registered
Rep
Drives: F20 BMW

Seems like a very fun trip, thanks for sharing!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 07:30 AM   #33
neostyx
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW m135i

Thanks for sharing this ! Interesting reading ��
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 08:15 PM   #34
CannibalOx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Thanks for sharing this! My dad and I are going to the one in California in late October and this post has got me very excited!!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 10:46 PM   #35
Mason Hatcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

I'll be at the one day class in Spartanburg this Sunday. Glad this thread was bumped.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 04:19 PM   #36
WickedBMW
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M3 MT

Great write up. Thank you

Planning to go there next year.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2022, 10:53 AM   #37
Ghostrider641
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘23 M8

[/QUOTE]

How were the carbon seats over time? Trying to decide if I should order them for my M8 or not…
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2022, 09:33 PM   #38
BRAKE!
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider641 View Post
How were the carbon seats over time? Trying to decide if I should order them for my M8 or not…
The carbon seats are very comfortable once you're sitting in them, but they come with a caveat that has nothing to do with how long you're sitting in them...

1) getting out of the seat is the most cumbersome part. Sitting low and then having to raise your leg over the thigh bolster, past the side skirt and onto the ground is a huge hassle.
2) the lump in the middle of the seat is a bit annoying as your thigh hits it when you brake (this you get used to)
3) getting into the seat is not as bad as getting out, but good luck trying to avoid scratching the side bolsters

Overall, beautiful looking seat, just wished they had made the thigh bolsters either lower or of a softer material and took out the carbon lump in the middle.

Would I option it? No. The regular seats do a great job of holding you in while not having any of the inconveniences above. However, if you love the look, there is no other option and it does made you feel a bit more special sitting inside the car. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2022, 09:16 PM   #39
Ghostrider641
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘23 M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAKE! View Post
The carbon seats are very comfortable once you're sitting in them, but they come with a caveat that has nothing to do with how long you're sitting in them...

1) getting out of the seat is the most cumbersome part. Sitting low and then having to raise your leg over the thigh bolster, past the side skirt and onto the ground is a huge hassle.
2) the lump in the middle of the seat is a bit annoying as your thigh hits it when you brake (this you get used to)
3) getting into the seat is not as bad as getting out, but good luck trying to avoid scratching the side bolsters

Overall, beautiful looking seat, just wished they had made the thigh bolsters either lower or of a softer material and took out the carbon lump in the middle.

Would I option it? No. The regular seats do a great job of holding you in while not having any of the inconveniences above. However, if you love the look, there is no other option and it does made you feel a bit more special sitting inside the car. Good luck
Thank you, I appreciate the real life review….
Appreciate 1
BRAKE!833.50
      01-01-2023, 09:19 PM   #40
cookiesandcreaM3
Rep
Drives: bmw g80

I will be in Spartanburg for 2 day M school this month. Any recommendations on what to wear? Never been on track or HPDE before.

I’ve read elsewhere cotton isn’t breathable and flammable. Dry fit gear is breathable but still flammable. Merino wool is an option but wasn’t trying to buy a full set of merino clothing just for the track day. Jeans and a long sleeve shirt?

Wasn’t sure the likelihood of catching fire. Formula 1 fires I’ve seen. 2 day m school probability significant lower/rarely happens?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2023, 08:03 AM   #41
BRAKE!
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiesandcreaM3 View Post
I will be in Spartanburg for 2 day M school this month. Any recommendations on what to wear? Never been on track or HPDE before.

I’ve read elsewhere cotton isn’t breathable and flammable. Dry fit gear is breathable but still flammable. Merino wool is an option but wasn’t trying to buy a full set of merino clothing just for the track day. Jeans and a long sleeve shirt?

Wasn’t sure the likelihood of catching fire. Formula 1 fires I’ve seen. 2 day m school probability significant lower/rarely happens?
Hey, no need to wear a flame-retardant racing suit. It was never a worry I had nor did the instructors even mention it. I wore a tee shirt and golf shorts. IIRC in the welcome email, it encourages you to wear comfortable clothing with the only requirement being closed toed shoes.

I can appreciate the concern you have for safety. I felt that the BMW folks designed the program in such a way that you feel safe and comfortable with challenging by choice. This will be an amazing time for you, relax and have fun!!!
Appreciate 1
      10-21-2023, 01:15 PM   #42
Mysecondwife
AF Officer
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 335xi M Sport/Black-Black

Garage List
Such an amazing experience! I did a one day control course and will go back for two day M!