Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

06-22-2016, 02:11 PM   #1
FSHNGRY
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: INDIVIDUAL F90 M5C LCI

Garage List
OEM Steering Wheel Issue UPDATED

Hello All,

September will mark 2 full years of ownership with my lovely lady. Over the last few months however, I have really noticed the steering wheel deteriorate at an alarming rate. Has anyone else noticed this with their cars yet? I understand normal wear and tear but this just looks gross.
Name:  rsz_1rsz_img_5851-1.jpg
Views: 7642
Size:  127.5 KB

NOTE: Car is in a garage all night, and all day when I am home (condo life). I park under a tree, or out of direct sunlight as much as possible. I try to avoid leaving the car outside in the heat and in direct sunlight for long periods of time.

Any idea as to what I should do?

UPDATE:

SO, I went back to my local dealership today. Now I will start by saying that my SA has been more than helpful during this whole procedure, great guy so there's nothing against him.

Since posting, I have kept calling and leaving messages on the machine for the service manager to call me back so we can discuss the possible options for my existing steering wheel. I never got a call back. Keep in mind this is a person who I have been very generous with on holidays and other times in the past.

I finally had enough today, and decided to drive up to my BMW dealership and see if I could speak with him directly and show him the wheel. Of course, he was "out to lunch."

My SA told me that he had reached a solution with the SM (service manager) and told me that I had one of two choices:

1- The dealership would SPLIT the cost for a new steering wheel for me ($987.00 cost of OEM steering wheel)

2- Depending on the cost, they would pay to dye the steering current steering wheel (which would again fade in due time)

I told him that I'm not coming out of pocket for anything on this car as long as it is under warranty, and if I were going to be coming out of pocket, It's going to be to IND for a different wheel altogether.

I told him I needed time to think, and that I would revisit the issue when I go back for service in roughly 900 miles. Needless to say, I'm very unhappy with the "warranty" replacement guidelines on a car that cost almost 90k.

Thoughts??
GONE: '05 E46 ZHP | LOADED | DINAN STG3 PKG |

IG: @FSHNGRY

Last edited by FSHNGRY; 07-19-2016 at 02:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 02:14 PM   #2
mrduder
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Yeah mine started doing this too. Sucks.... Mine started doing it after about 8 months of owning it
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 02:18 PM   #3
brianeck
Part Time Firetruck Crash Barrier
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix Mineral Grey

Hmm. Do you go by the alter ego "@EdwardScissorHands?"

Honestly my car is almost 2 years old and the steering wheel is completely intact. This is a freak issue that your wheel wasn't finished correctly OR (more likely) you're wearing too many rings or your dead lift callouses are to severe for interaction with nice leather.

Joking aside, no that is 100% not normal and I would say if you don't wear a lot of rings or have "contractor hands" that are rough as F you should potentially be able to have some kind of say. . . I can't really comment without more information about what your accessory or driving habits are though.

m340ix Mineral Grey/Tacora Red
Appreciate 1
      06-22-2016, 02:26 PM   #4
FSHNGRY
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianeck View Post
Hmm. Do you go by the alter ego "@EdwardScissorHands?"

Honestly my car is almost 2 years old and the steering wheel is completely intact. This is a freak issue that your wheel wasn't finished correctly OR (more likely) you're wearing too many rings or your dead lift callouses are to severe for interaction with nice leather.

Joking aside, no that is 100% not normal and I would say if you don't wear a lot of rings or have "contractor hands" that are rough as F you should potentially be able to have some kind of say. . . I can't really comment without more information about what your accessory or driving habits are though.
lol No, none of the above. The only jewelry I wear are watches, And I think I might even wash my hands more times a day than most people (I own a restaurant), and I have don't have rock like callouses for palms either.

Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 02:47 PM   #5
hyperspeed
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 R8, MYP, GLE

Actually i dont think your steering wheel is deteriorating, i think it's just dirty.

I suggest taking wet wipes (baby wipes) and start going at it. You'll notice a significant improvement afterwards (pretty much back to brand new)

Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 02:50 PM   #6
mrduder
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperspeed
Actually i dont think your steering wheel is deteriorating, i think it's just dirty.

I suggest taking wet wipes (baby wipes) and start going at it. You'll notice a significant improvement afterwards (pretty much back to brand new)
People suggested that on my thread too. It's not dirt. It's the actual leather being worn. None of the other leather looks like this.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 02:59 PM   #7
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrduder View Post
People suggested that on my thread too. It's not dirt. It's the actual leather being worn. None of the other leather looks like this.
Did you get yours replaced under warranty?

OP I would think they'd replace that for you. Mine's about 1.5 yrs old, and looks brand new. I use leather treatment on it regularly, but I'd have to rub it with sand paper to make mine look like that.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 03:01 PM   #8
mrduder
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketBoots
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrduder View Post
Did you get yours replaced under warranty?

OP I would think they'd replace that for you. Mine's about 1.5 yrs old, and looks brand new. I use leather treatment on it regularly, but I'd have to rub it with sand paper to make mine look like that.
I don't know yet. I have service needed in like a month or two. So I'll ask them about it when I go in. I spoke to Charlie from McKenna about it and he seems to think it probably won't be covered. We'll see. He said he'd at least submit it and see if they do though.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 03:32 PM   #9
mrmoua2u
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 MW F80 ZCP

The pictures shows where most of your hand positions were. I'm sure with hard grip impression, mixed with moisture, dirt and other rough things will do that. I'm pretty sure its common and that is why I position my hand and or fingers at 9, 6 and 3 on the steering bars, avoid touching the leather as much as possible.
Appreciate 1
      06-22-2016, 03:39 PM   #10
al3xander
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3

take it in to your dealership for warranty replacement. there is no reason why a 2 year old car should show so much wear on the leather.
Appreciate 2
      06-22-2016, 03:47 PM   #11
hecho.in.626
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

It almost looks like alcantara. I think this will happen to all of ours eventually. It just happened to your steering wheel sooner.
I'm guessing it's from your grip and sweat/moisture. I feel it's inevitable unless you wear gloves. Please let us know if the dealer is willing to replace it under warranty
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 04:05 PM   #12
brianeck
Part Time Firetruck Crash Barrier
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix Mineral Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRCHP View Post
lol No, none of the above. The only jewelry I wear are watches, And I think I might even wash my hands more times a day than most people (I own a restaurant), and I have don't have rock like callouses for palms either.
Haha I'm glad you took my comments in good spirits .

I'm definitely of the camp that this is way beyond normal wear and tear and you should have it checked out/looked at with the potential for replacement. . . No prior history with other cars?

Out of curiosity when you say wash your hands I'm assuming you mean really wash with soap and water as opposed to using hand sanitizer ~ I had an ex GF who was a total germophobe and she never understood why all her comforters and pillows got bleached out/worn so quickly. . . That stuff can be pretty caustic (I test skincare and cosmetics for a living so I've seen some of the worst of the worst of such occurrences).

m340ix Mineral Grey/Tacora Red
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 10:37 AM   #13
hyperspeed
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 R8, MYP, GLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrduder
Quote:

Did you actually try to clean it though...? Mine looked exactly like that too and after a good scrubbing now it looks brand new

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 09:12 AM   #14
mrduder
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrduder
Quote:

Did you actually try to clean it though...? Mine looked exactly like that too and after a good scrubbing now it looks brand new
Yes, of course. It's not dirt. Trust me. You can tell it's the actual leather being worn.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 09:45 AM   #15
docmfg
Private
Rep
Drives: E46 M3/2016 M4

Garage List
2009 MB C63  [0.00]
2012 BMW 535  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [0.00]
2003 BMW M3  [0.00]
My wife's 2012 535 m package steering wheel looks like that. She wears rings and uses a lot of moisturizer, anti-bacterial get etc. It took 4 years to look like that though. I clean it and it looks better but it is wear on the leather. On the other hand her Dakota leather still looks new with no cleaning or treatment. Dakota is a cheaper leather but holds up great. The leather in my M4 not so much. 7 mos old and the stitching on the driver side bolster is already fraying. I rarely wear jeans. Mostly wear athletic shorts and scrubs. Some creasing and wrinkling on the seat bottom bolster. The nappa leather in my e46 m3 is holding up better. It does have fraying but took 12 years.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 09:53 AM   #16
catch
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

That looks beat!

Id assume heavy moisturizers or sand paper on it!

I've never seen a steering wheel deteriorate that quickly. At first I thought it was an Alcantara wheel that got wet.

I'm curious how the dealer handles this
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 10:12 AM   #17
FSHNGRY
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thank you all.

I'm glad everyone else sees this as an issue and not just "wear and tear." It actually depresses me to see everyday because it is the ONLY part of my car that has started to show signs of wear. My SA told me that the service manager would have to see it and make the final decision on if it can be replaced under warranty or not. I will keep everyone posted with the results.

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 08:02 PM   #18
cprx7
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 50i;

If I were you I would change it up. You look at it every single time you drive your car
      06-28-2016, 08:58 AM   #19
sandwi54
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: G07, F90

Mine is 1.5 years old and the leather would start to look like that every few months. I would apply leather cleaner and then conditioner and it would look brand new again. You need to maintain the soft merino/Nappa leather in our cars!
      06-28-2016, 09:00 AM   #20
FSHNGRY
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwi54
Mine is 1.5 years old and the leather would start to look like that every few months. I would apply leather cleaner and then conditioner and it would look brand new again. You need to maintain the soft merino/Nappa leather in our cars!
Can you suggest a cleaner so I can try to clean it before I go through the headache of replacing it?

Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 09:01 AM   #21
Naz24
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: W205 AMG C63 / E70 X5M

Theyll replace under warranty

2017 C63
2012 X5M
SOLD: 2015 M3; 2007 X3 M Sport; 2014 X3 M Sport 35i; 2004 X5 4.4i; 1994 325i
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 09:28 AM   #22
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

Try Lexol Leather Cleaner and Conditioner first and then finish it with Lexol Leather Preservative. Buff it to a nice dull shine.
Appreciate 1