Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

02-20-2019, 04:17 PM   #23
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by t5pilot View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
Great write up 👍🏽

Sounds great, but I'm still managing to resist!
Lol, I know I don't know you personally Terry, but have followed your posts for several years...

As such, I think i'm fairly safe in saying you know resistance is futile! Don't resist, just give in, it's probably the best value for money mod/add on available.

There'll always be something else to resist instead - Whilst you're enjoying your choice of maps to flash at will
Where are you based? I'd love to hear your car and feel how quick it is.

I'm not still claiming to not be modding the car, but I'm comfortable that should doing coilovers cause any problems that aren't covered by warranty then the cost isn't going to horrific.

Same with brakes or exhaust.

Engines causing issues can get very expensive though, and as I'm not feeling short changed on power just now I feel I can resist!

Also I hear that the DCT can overheat on track as standard, so with more power that's even more likely, or else then have to add a DCT cooler... which then raises drivetrain warranty issues.

So for now I'm going to sort the brakes, and resist BM3. I'm sure I'll get it eventually though!
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 04:30 PM   #24
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP & S1000 XR

Quote:

I'm not still claiming to not be modding the car, but I'm comfortable that should doing coilovers cause any problems that aren't covered by warranty then the cost isn't going to horrific.

Engines causing issues can get very expensive though, and as I'm not feeling short changed on power just now I feel I can resist!

Also I hear that the DCT can overheat on track as standard, so with more power that's even more likely, or else then have to add a DCT cooler... which then raises drivetrain warranty issues.

So for now I'm going to sort the brakes, and resist BM3. I'm sure I'll get it eventually though!
That's fair enough & all very valid points.

I can't remember, have you had the GTS DCT flash done? Makes the transmission much more track-friendly I'm led to believe, as well as other benefits.
Interestingly, I read an article (can't remember where, sorry), about drivetrain errors, DCT errors during some hard track sessions. Think that was a stage2 map, if not, one of the ethanol ones.
This bloke was just going to play around reducing the torque in 2nd, 3rd & 4th I think in order to alleviate this.
What a great option to have. Can't see me ever needing to bother though, but you never know.

I'm West Yorkshire. Lee actually mentioned he was meeting with you & another, but was far too far for me
      02-20-2019, 04:33 PM   #25
omegatlc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral Grey M4 Convertib

Quote:
Quote:
Great write up 👍🏽

Sounds great, but I'm still managing to resist!
Lol, I know I don't know you personally Terry, but have followed your posts for several years...

As such, I think i'm fairly safe in saying you know resistance is futile! Don't resist, just give in, it's probably the best value for money mod/add on available.

There'll always be something else to resist instead - Whilst you're enjoying your choice of maps to flash at will
Great write-up, OP!

After much deliberation I purchased and installed BM3 Stage 1 93 and GTS DCT Flash on my '17 F83 last night. Then made a couple of passes through neighborhood and roads near my house. Wow!

I have literally fallen in love with my car again. Silky smooth acceleration/power, quick gear shifts and oh, the burbles...yeah those burbles...can't wait to hear them with the top down this spring! I was burbleless before, so they're very special to me right now.

Thanks OP and others for your write-ups, cautions, tips, etc. that helped foster and reinforce my decision on BM3.
Appreciate 2
t5pilot977.50
      02-20-2019, 04:33 PM   #26
Smee
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F83

We might he moving the meet I'll add you to the chat anyway
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 04:36 PM   #27
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

That's fair enough & all very valid points.

I can't remember, have you had the GTS DCT flash done? Makes the transmission much more track-friendly I'm led to believe, as well as other benefits.
Interestingly, I read an article (can't remember where, sorry), about drivetrain errors, DCT errors during some hard track sessions. Think that was a stage2 map, if not, one of the ethanol ones.
This bloke was just going to play around reducing the torque in 2nd, 3rd & 4th I think in order to alleviate this.
What a great option to have. Can't see me ever needing to bother though, but you never know.

I'm West Yorkshire. Lee actually mentioned he was meeting with you & another, but was far too far for me
Yes had the full GTS Flashes done, and it certainly made a huge difference across the board.

West Yorkshire is quite far, but may try and take in a track day up north at some point!

Have you looked at the AA midpipe at all? I don't fancy the noise volume of DPs, but tempted by the midpipe as it's more noise quality so I'm reading.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 04:36 PM   #28
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smee View Post
We might he moving the meet I'll add you to the chat anyway
Lol, was just about to say I've been added
      02-20-2019, 04:40 PM   #29
Smee
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F83

Quote:
Yes had the full GTS Flashes done, and it certainly made a huge difference across the board.

West Yorkshire is quite far, but may try and take in a track day up north at some point!

Have you looked at the AA midpipe at all? I don't fancy the noise volume of DPs, but tempted by the midpipe as it's more noise quality so I'm reading.
Jon says to me that dp flaps closed isn't much louder than the stock set up
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 04:41 PM   #30
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I haven't to be honest, as I went the downpipes route. I wouldn't take all the cats out so was either or for me.

The PCW exhaust mod is meant to be superb if you want the secondary cats out.
      02-20-2019, 04:42 PM   #31
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
This is very true. Even with MPE.
But flaps open is a diffrent matter....
      02-20-2019, 04:52 PM   #32
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Yes but I like to drive around in sport most of the time!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 06:42 AM   #33
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

With the recent bout of nice weather, I got rid of my winter setup last weekend & moved back onto my summers.
What a transformation.
My stage 2 map was good with the winters. With the summers it truly highlights the power available & to a greater extent, the sheer driveability BM3 offers.
It's great! Not an awful lot more to say really.
With downpipes & MPE, the stage 2 burbles are less than my previous mapping, but they're still a bit much (for me), not exactly subtle!
I'm going to stay with the stage2 & just try the OEM burbles in sport & sport+. I'm quite hopeful this will be a good change. If not, it'll be time to experiment with the sliders I guess.

I had an issue initially with the agent software running on my Macbook, so had to resort to Windows. I opened a support ticket with ProTuningFreaks, which was dealt with quickly & efficiently. Despite the time difference, they opened a session with my Mac, identified the problem & sorted it. First time. it was quite complicated & took about an hour. Absolutely fantastic support & customer service.
      02-28-2019, 02:10 PM   #34
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Well, that's better. I've gone to OEM burbles on my 93 octane stage2 map.
The OTS burbles were an improvement over my last map, but, after living with them this last week or so, they'd started getting on my nerves a bit.
If I lived in the middle of nowhere & hardly had to drive in a populated area, then they'd be fine.
But I don't, and I can't help feeling like a bit of a twat every time I lift off the throttle, even at low speed, with the noise it was making ('cos I like to be in Sport mode most of the time).
OEM burbles seem fine & not very "twat-like" Lol...
Don't get me wrong, with the downpipes & MPE, it still growls very nicely & is still loud, especially when pressing on. But with the stock CP burbles, I don't feel the need to try & duck down & hide when coming down the 20mph high street on lift-off throttle...
      02-28-2019, 03:45 PM   #35
r0wr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Beater

Quote:
Well, that's better. I've gone to OEM burbles on my 93 octane stage2 map.
The OTS burbles were an improvement over my last map, but, after living with them this last week or so, they'd started getting on my nerves a bit.
If I lived in the middle of nowhere & hardly had to drive in a populated area, then they'd be fine.
But I don't, and I can't help feeling like a bit of a twat every time I lift off the throttle, even at low speed, with the noise it was making ('cos I like to be in Sport mode most of the time).
OEM burbles seem fine & not very "twat-like" Lol...
Don't get me wrong, with the downpipes & MPE, it still growls very nicely & is still loud, especially when pressing on. But with the stock CP burbles, I don't feel the need to try & duck down & hide when coming down the 20mph high street on lift-off throttle...
I also have downpipes and MPE and like you, I drive in sport a lot with valves open. I do like the loud pops and crackles though so what I've done is customized it so that the pops only occur at a very high rpm range. I believe I have my time set to one second, aggression to 7, with a minimum RPM of 4000 and minimum speed of 30 mph so it doesn't make too much noise unless I want it to. That way, you aren't ducking when you are only going 20mph.
Appreciate 1
t5pilot977.50
      02-28-2019, 04:05 PM   #36
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0wr View Post
I also have downpipes and MPE and like you, I drive in sport a lot with valves open. I do like the loud pops and crackles though so what I've done is customized it so that the pops only occur at a very high rpm range. I believe I have my time set to one second, aggression to 7, with a minimum RPM of 4000 and minimum speed of 30 mph so it doesn't make too much noise unless I want it to. That way, you aren't ducking when you are only going 20mph.
Thanks for that, it's something to experiment with at some point
      02-28-2019, 05:11 PM   #37
joooiiiiii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP

Quote:

Can you pick a tune but still keep the exhaust settings the same as stock ZCP? I just got BM3 but I'm not sure if that is possible.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 05:44 PM   #38
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joooiiiiii View Post
Quote:

Can you pick a tune but still keep the exhaust settings the same as stock ZCP? I just got BM3 but I'm not sure if that is possible.
Yes you can. Choose the map you want to flash then click on the settings cog icon on the top right. Go into burbles & select oem. Save changes then flash it.
      03-02-2019, 02:46 AM   #39
ravibasuta
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Great read this! Thanks for sharing.

Ive had PCW exhaust type mod on my standard set up with Alpines GTS flash and burbles, having some control over the settings is very interesting! And your positive feedback makes it all the more enticing!

Cant say im completely dissatisfied but if there is potential for more performance/drivability its 100% worth looking at.
      03-03-2019, 07:15 AM   #40
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibasuta View Post

Ive had PCW exhaust type mod on my standard set up with Alpines GTS flash and burbles, having some control over the settings is very interesting! And your positive feedback makes it all the more enticing!

Cant say im completely dissatisfied but if there is potential for more performance/drivability its 100% worth looking at.
I was the same.

I'm not regretting any aspect of changing though. BM3 is just so easy in every way.
      11-09-2020, 05:09 PM   #41
Mosaix
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Help I'm confused

Quote:
Quote:

I was the same.

I'm not regretting any aspect of changing though. BM3 is just so easy in every way.
Newbie to tuning and need some help on which map should I use in Bootmod3 - totally stock 17 M3 with comp package. I only have 91 octane. Guessing latest version is the best? What is S55 OPF? Since the car has the comp package - is that a factor in selecting which S55 Stage 1 tune I select in Bootmod3? Sorry I know this is basic stuff but trying to avoid screwing this up. Thank you
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 05:23 PM   #42
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosaix View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I was the same.

Newbie to tuning and need some help on which map should I use in Bootmod3 - totally stock 17 M3 with comp package. I only have 91 octane. Guessing latest version is the best? What is S55 OPF? Since the car has the comp package - is that a factor in selecting which S55 Stage 1 tune I select in Bootmod3? Sorry I know this is basic stuff but trying to avoid screwing this up. Thank you
Don't worry about OPF's, your car doesn't have them.
If you can't get better than 91 octane fuel (which is 95RON in the UK), you need to choose the 91 octane stage1 map.
When you pay for your license & your OTS map, you'll get the stage0 maps included as well.
And of course the GTS transmission if you have DCT.
      11-10-2020, 05:41 AM   #43
TAM4CO
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition

Thanks for all the info t5pilot. I've got to say this thread has opened my eyes to tuning possibilities.

I picked up a 2017 M4 CP a few months back and was going to do what I usually do with most of my cars - Take it along to DMS in Southampton for a remap.
BM3 sounds like the way to go though.

I've been on Tom Wrigley's site and they list various packages, but not sure what the best option is? I've got a Remus cat-back system going on the car in December and only feed it V-Power.

Thanks
      11-10-2020, 11:03 AM   #44
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM4CO View Post
Thanks for all the info t5pilot. I've got to say this thread has opened my eyes to tuning possibilities.

I picked up a 2017 M4 CP a few months back and was going to do what I usually do with most of my cars - Take it along to DMS in Southampton for a remap.
BM3 sounds like the way to go though.

I've been on Tom Wrigley's site and they list various packages, but not sure what the best option is? I've got a Remus cat-back system going on the car in December and only feed it V-Power.

Thanks
I'd definitely go BM3 route, so flexible & convenient.
You just want the license, with 93 octane stage1 OTS map. You really need decat downpipes to go stage2. That's their recommendation anyway.
Worth shopping around, you might save a bit, even if not too much, better in your pocket than someone else's!