R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

08-09-2016, 09:22 AM   #23
DazC
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp Pack

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
Ah yes the remap, more info please!
I suspect he is put off after the pasting he got on cutters the other day. Lots of "do-gooders" telling him its a "bad thing" and how his engine warranty will be void.
Its Guy's car, he can do what the hell he wants with it. Just some people don't seem to like cars that are better than theirs, on that particular forum.
Read that. Can't seem to get on in that forum.

Guy seems to be a bit of a target on there. You'd think all fellow M owners would have a bit of comradery.
Lotus Emira (on order)
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 10:20 AM   #24
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SMB M3 CP with lots of carbon

Sorry, been manically busy with work. Also wife on Sunday discovered new house being built where we want to move to. So been in negotiations on that. Not ready until next July but had to work out if we could do it. Deposit done. Mortgage from hell here we come. Just as well we're on a record year - never worked so damn hard.

Anyhoos, Cutters is a funny place. It's got some genuinely lovely people on it - I have had quite a few messages of support privately after that whole spat which was nice. I just think that my priorities are different to a lot of others there. Mine are to make the car a better drivers car - my only concession to vanity being the spacers! I've had arguments about carbon brakes, I went through it all when I got the RS suspension - looks great but why would you spend extra over springs - and once again I get grief for wanting to tune my own car (and suggesting that I understood if people that didn't own their car outright were worried about the financial consequences should something go wrong which was read completely out of context as an attack).

Not going to be posting up anything about my exhaust mod as I can see exactly how that's going to go. I think it's the best £280 I've ever spent and I'm so glad I didn't part with £3k on another exhaust. That will just be taken as an attack and thus the arguments will start again. That was the last thread I will ever be starting on Cutters.

As for the map, it's bonkers. Has transformed the car into just what I want. I remember the thread on here about the car not having that 'thrust'. Oh boy does it now!!! I love the fact I can now drive a gear higher than before. 3rd is monstrously effective now and the great thing is if I want to stay in quiet mode, I can leave in efficient and just change up before valves open.

I'll try when I get 5 mins to do some vid to demonstrate how it now pulls.
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 5
dopper993528.00
DazC904.00
Wills28647.00
gatsojon498.00
MrKip60.00
      08-09-2016, 10:23 AM   #25
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazC View Post
Read that. Can't seem to get on in that forum.

Guy seems to be a bit of a target on there. You'd think all fellow M owners would have a bit of comradery.

Yes Guy has made some genuine helpful vids. I'm sure these take quite some time to put together both appearing in front of the camera and editing later and he's only done it for the benefit of others - no bragging whatsoever.

Yet people still take the pi55 .... which is why I cant be bothered on there either.

You suggest something or make a comment and pretty much everyone ignores you - if you are not part of the "crew".

Its not all bad, there is some useful stuff on there, but I get the impression some people have bought M cars because they can (money) rather than being a genuine keen enthusiast.

(Apologies to any cutter fans on here who may have taken offence! )

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 1
MrKip60.00
      08-09-2016, 10:40 AM   #26
DazC
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
Yes Guy has made some genuine helpful vids. I'm sure these take quite some time to put together both appearing in front of the camera and editing later and he's only done it for the benefit of others - no bragging whatsoever.

Yet people still take the pi55 .... which is why I cant be bothered on there either.

You suggest something or make a comment and pretty much everyone ignores you - if you are not part of the "crew".

Its not all bad, there is some useful stuff on there, but I get the impression some people have bought M cars because they can (money) rather than being a genuine keen enthusiast.

(Apologies to any cutter fans on here who may have taken offence! )
Indeed. Theres good and bad on most forums. We should all just enjoy our cars and let others do the same.

Im grateful to those who mod their cars and post their experieces, videos, thoughts (good and bad) as it paves the way for others to make the decision yay or nay to do the same.
Appreciate 3
gatsojon498.00
dopper993528.00
MrKip60.00
      08-09-2016, 03:02 PM   #27
rjwojcik
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 VW Golf GTD

Hey Guy, this mod that Paul did for you. The way I understood it you had the secondary cats removed and also he worked his magic on the back box, right? Do you know what does he do to the back box?

I'm not after anything louder cold starts, just some more noise, farts on full beans.
      08-09-2016, 03:35 PM   #28
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SMB M3 CP with lots of carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjwojcik View Post
Hey Guy, this mod that Paul did for you. The way I understood it you had the secondary cats removed and also he worked his magic on the back box, right? Do you know what does he do to the back box?

I'm not after anything louder cold starts, just some more noise, farts on full beans.
Yup but I promised I'd keep stum as he's worked damn hard to perfect it and whilst you wouldn't care, some people might read on here and take advantage.

Cold starts aren't really much louder - perhaps a bit but not huge difference.

To be honest it's absolutely fine with flaps closed on efficient. Once you open then up and sport or sport plus, it's hilarious and noticeable even with all windows up.

More than welcome to meet up at some point to hear in person.
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 2
rjwojcik281.50
MrKip60.00
      08-10-2016, 04:40 AM   #29
scottc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Mercedes E350 Cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjwojcik View Post

Yup but I promised I'd keep stum as he's worked damn hard to perfect it and whilst you wouldn't care, some people might read on here and take advantage.

Cold starts aren't really much louder - perhaps a bit but not huge difference.

To be honest it's absolutely fine with flaps closed on efficient. Once you open then up and sport or sport plus, it's hilarious and noticeable even with all windows up.

More than welcome to meet up at some point to hear in person.
So this mod sounds great but I don't want it loud all the time..

Do you get any drone at all? It's a big thing for me so don't want to mod my exhaust and be annoyed when driving it on the motorway
      08-15-2016, 06:29 AM   #30
MB London
Come as you are
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 SSll

So I had a little play with the MDM function over the weekend, it was nice not having the fuel lines cut under hard acceleration.

However, I took a corner a little to fast lost the back and had a fairly big impact on the curb. I was a about to 2 foot from some school railings when the vehicle righted itself. thankfully there was no one on the path and no other car on the road, a major blessing as this could of been so much worse.

I had a guy come out to see if the passenger side wheel was reparable, he took both wheels off and told me that they were BOTH dead.

car is now on a recovery truck on its way to Sytner Chigwell. I am sure it will be nice and cheap, perfect start to the week.

But hey, no one was hurt that has to be the most important thing
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-15-2016, 06:44 AM   #31
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Blimey that's some damage there. Glad you're ok.

Could you pick up a couple of wheels from ebay?

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2016, 07:05 AM   #32
DazC
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB London View Post
So I had a little play with the MDM function over the weekend, it was nice not having the fuel lines cut under hard acceleration.

However, I took a corner a little to fast lost the back and had a fairly big impact on the curb. I was a about to 2 foot from some school railings when the vehicle righted itself. thankfully there was no one on the path and no other car on the road, a major blessing as this could of been so much worse.

I had a guy come out to see if the passenger side wheel was reparable, he took both wheels off and told me that they were BOTH dead.

car is now on a recovery truck on its way to Sytner Chigwell. I am sure it will be nice and cheap, perfect start to the week.

But hey, no one was hurt that has to be the most important thing
Ouch!!! Glad you're ok and no one was hurt.

Just goes to show its easy enough to lose it in MDM.

Im booking myself in for a driving tuition day as my ability is no doubt less than my ego!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2016, 08:14 AM   #33
MB London
Come as you are
United Kingdom
Rep

yes a very big (and expensive) wake up call.

a lesson learnt
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2016, 08:21 AM   #34
MB London
Come as you are
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Blimey that's some damage there. Glad you're ok.

Could you pick up a couple of wheels from ebay?
I did look on the bay but it was £400 per refurb'd rim with a note advising they we repaired wheels and no guarantees could be offered as to the strength of the wheel.

it looks like I may have front axel damaged too, if this is the case, I think I will put it through my insurers.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2016, 09:29 AM   #35
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 535, F82 M4

Quote:

Im booking myself in for a driving tuition day as my ability is no doubt less than my ego!
Where are you booking/ looking to do your tuitions? Any links? Costs?
      08-15-2016, 10:03 AM   #36
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I did look on the bay but it was £400 per refurb'd rim with a note advising they we repaired wheels and no guarantees could be offered as to the strength of the wheel.

it looks like I may have front axel damaged too, if this is the case, I think I will put it through my insurers.
Have you had a software update done? I hear the older M3/4 are a little leary. Although whether that would have made any difference to the outcome, I dont know.

No consolation, but could have been worse according to this (post 11 onwards):

http://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/showthread.php?t=159755

Evolves own car got trashed:

https://instagram.com/p/BIvmxtUAp5M/

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2016, 11:27 AM   #37
DazC
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gspannu
Quote:

Where are you booking/ looking to do your tuitions? Any links? Costs?
http://www.donpalmer.co.uk
Lotus Emira (on order)
Appreciate 1
gspannu198.50
      08-15-2016, 12:08 PM   #38
notused
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: none

Quote:
yes a very big (and expensive) wake up call.

a lesson learnt
I feel for you, hope it doesn't dent your wallet and confidence too much. Always worth thinking positive when sh*t happens, like you said, could have been much worse.

I was seriously contemplating switching MDM on...not anymore.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2016, 03:47 PM   #39
jbtco
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

The Evolve car seems to be fairly heavily modified. Presumably BMW set up the MDM for the std car and changing the power, suspension wheel and tyre sizes and fitting fairly extreme tyres will influence if and how it works.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 03:47 AM   #40
MB London
Come as you are
United Kingdom
Rep

so, that spirited blast in MDM mode which resulted in my hitting a curb at a fair impact has resulted in a lot more damage than first thought. I was expecting 2 new wheels and a couple of tyres. As it stands, the current estimate is knocking on the doors of £11K, it is now in the hands of my insurance company and I will get it back next week.

Be careful guys of that traction button, if like me, you are a normal daily driver and don't really know what you are doing, please be very weary of that button.
Appreciate 1
notused304.00
      08-18-2016, 03:49 AM   #41
billyali86
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4 - Yas Marina

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB London
so, that spirited blast in MDM mode which resulted in my hitting a curb at a fair impact has resulted in a lot more damage than first thought. I was expecting 2 new wheels and a couple of tyres. As it stands, the current estimate is knocking on the doors of £11K, it is now in the hands of my insurance company and I will get it back next week.

Be careful guys of that traction button, if like me, you are a normal daily driver and don't really know what you are doing, please be very weary of that button.
Wow that's an eye opener!

I normally drive in mdm but even then try to exercise caution, when kerbs or other cars nearby.

Too many bad experiences in the past!

Can you tell me if the car swung out quite wide or were you relatively close to kerb to start with ?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 04:20 AM   #42
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

WTF £11K!!!!???

What else have you broke?

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 07:04 AM   #43
MB London
Come as you are
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyali86 View Post
Wow that's an eye opener!

I normally drive in mdm but even then try to exercise caution, when kerbs or other cars nearby.

Too many bad experiences in the past!

Can you tell me if the car swung out quite wide or were you relatively close to kerb to start with ?
If memory serves me right I was hugging the curb relatively close
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 07:06 AM   #44
MB London
Come as you are
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
WTF £11K!!!!???

What else have you broke?