European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

11-21-2016, 03:49 AM   #67
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SMB M3 CP with lots of carbon

Was interesting this morning. Drove 20 miles up to station to catch train to London in miserable conditions and very much had Andy's thoughts in mind whilst driving along.

My suspension change and map have really transformed the car and I genuinely can have my cake and eat it. I can't actually see any way that my journey would have been more relaxing in any other Fxx.

My car was bumbling along at around 1500 rpm in D1 most of the time which is bonkers considering the power of the engine. I overtook two people without going above 4k in Efficient - just knocked gear down so I had just over 2k and overtook. No loud noise, no valves open.

Okay the max torque isn't at 1500 revs but at 2500 revs mine is now accelerating hard (immediately if in Sport + but in efficient you have to wait for turbos to spool). At 30-40mph, 3rd is so effective now.

I got the map not because I needed ultimately more power but because i wanted that torque for make life effortless. It really does do that. All for £600.

Sadly I don't have an answer for the seats - thankfully I find them very comfortable (did 10 hours in the car down west and back last week and was fresh as a daisy).

You'd have to drag me kicking and screaming back to an Fxx and I'm talking about daily driving, nothing to do with track.
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 2
dopper993528.00
Wills28647.00
      11-21-2016, 06:18 AM   #68
M5essex
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: RR sport SVR, Vent S, 650s spi

this thread is obviously a popular one and grown quickly in just a couple of days so I haven't had time to read everyone posts, so apologies if I repeat what you've all written/read again!!

Dopper, I can relate to your thoughts and sorry you haven't bonded but i'm 7 months into ownership now of my CP M3 and starting to really love it now. I didn't to start with. the car is changing and adapting to my driving and now with only 5k miles covered it sounds, feels and drives better than ever.

my colleague and friend has a new 335d xdrive and is always going on how his car is as quick as an M3 and better in every way due to its torque, traction and running costs... so we swapped for a day...

I liked the effortless torque the 335d produced low down, but didn't like the numb steering, sometimes awkward jumpy turn-in, it felt heavier, more road noise due to run-flats, engine sound and poorer cabin feel and leather quality. when in sport and auto mode yes it picks up nicely but I found it changed gear a lot too that gives you that feeling of a surge of torque.

I was so pleased to be getting back in my M3. I tried to be as neutral as possible but to me the M3 is superior in almost every way. from looks perspective too, the M3 wins hands down. surely if you drive your M3 in sport mode with D3 selected, you will get the same effortless acceleration and change down when you put your food down an inch or so?

my mate was shocked how much quicker and more urgent and more fun my M3 was and was gutted to be getting back in his 335d at the end of the day. he's considering doing a deal to get out of his 335d and into an M3 now!

judging by your original post, an M5 would be no better for you. it's big, heavy and you only get the benefit of driving the 560-600hp beast when you cane it. otherwise you might as well be in a 535d. you are going to get the exact same feeling in the M5 as you do the M3 and not get it for 90% of your daily driving needs... I came from an e92 m3 that I owned for 3 years which I loved so much, to the f10 M5 and it only last 6 months as it had so much unusable power for every day use and was wasted on me 90% of the time. plus I lost my licence in it for 'excessive speed' so I fell out with it.

like many have already said, try as many other cars and engines as possible before jumping ship and why don't you try a track experience in your car to see what it's really capable of.. as this car needs to be driven on track to appreciate its capabilities and then it will make sense.

good luck with whatever you do
Gone - 2016 F80 CP, 2015 991 Turbo S, 2016 LCI M135i. 2015 F10 CP M5. 2015 X5, 2012 E92 CP M3. 2009 E92 335i
Appreciate 4
gtsussex1854.00
jimmyca69167.00
dopper993528.00
Wills28647.00
      11-21-2016, 08:49 AM   #69
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Thanks chaps for your comments. I’m hoping to test a 335d at the weekend (and asked for an extended drive, not just 10 mins around the block). So hopefully I’ll remind myself about the 335d and how it compares to the M3. I may hate it and wonder why the hell I’d want to change … who knows.

All I know is, there are certain characteristics that the 335d does and my M3 does not do. eg in the M3, when you apply the throttle it can tend to lurch forward, eager to take off, no problems with that. But …. after the wheels are turning less throttle is needed with the 335d in proportion to the forward thrust, you press the throttle on the 335d 3-4 inches and it flies down the road, with urgency, and the 335d feels more “big engine” because of this. Not saying this is better – but its how I personally prefer to drive a car.

I’m sure Guy wont mind me mentioning that when he took me out in his M3 I immediately noticed the lack of urgency at low revs – compared to my 335d that I had at the time, and that was 3 months before I’d got mine and even been in one!!!! I think I mentioned it to him just after. Of course since then he’s addressed the issue with a map….

Of course the M3 is quicker in every other way! I’m only on about the initial low down torque, and this is how I’m used to driving my cars low down, change up early. I’ve had diesels for 10 years!!!!

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 10:14 AM   #70
John 3:16
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe 2016

Garage List
2014 BMW 330d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowpinkie View Post
So you've gone the other way. I'm in a 330d currently and pondering my next move. I like the effortless nature of the diesel but fancy a change into something with a bit more drama. I'm wary of going for an M or even a 440 and being unhappy or disappointed in some way like the OP.
Hi
I have a 330d and an M4 - I used to love the 330d but now it feels slow and sluggish - although I know its not. You just cant compare it to the M4.

I would say go for it, you will NOT be disappointed

J
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 11:26 AM   #71
notused
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: none

I don't think there's a straight answer as to which car is best. It's more to do with total ownership experience and I get what dopper means. I had the same 'trouble' with my old C63, just didn't bond. Sometimes I feel unhappy with my M3 but I know nothing else will satisfy me as much for the same money so I live with it, compromisingly. One thing that has helped me is meeting more BMW owners and enjoying the ownership experience by getting out and driving the car differently to my normal day to day drive and talking mods. If it was me on my own, I'd probably be thinking what more did I need beyond my F11 535i.
Appreciate 1
dopper993528.00
      11-23-2016, 03:19 PM   #72
zooberoo
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C HS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
So had it since the end of June and covered about 2200 miles - but didn’t drive it for 9 weeks due to the diff issue. It’s a fantastic car for sure but at the moment I’m very 50/50 about it. As some of the other guys said in that other thread, the opportunity to own an M car with a cheap deal came along earlier this year and a lot of us really wanted to own an M car at some point or other. I’m really glad I took the plunge and bought one.

Now I’m preparing to be shot down now!

After 10 years of Diesel it's taken little more than 2k miles and 4 months for you to miss it.

If the M3 CP wasn't the step up you hoped for a return to a 335d may not be either.

The F10 M550d was triple turbocharged. A new quad turbocharged version is rumoured for the G30.

If it's torque you miss then this could be just what you are looking for.
dopper993528.00
      11-23-2016, 05:09 PM   #73
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooberoo View Post
After 10 years of Diesel it's taken little more than 2k miles and 4 months for you to miss it.

If the M3 CP wasn't the step up you hoped for a return to a 335d may not be either.

The F10 M550d was triple turbocharged. A new quad turbocharged version is rumoured for the G30.

If it's torque you miss then this could be just what you are looking for.
Maybe, with regards the 335d.
I've got a 335d arranged to test drive for a couple of hours on Saturday, although its a tourer which is not ideal as I'd only buy a saloon. Then I can make my mind up once and for all and put this thing to bed.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2016, 12:08 PM   #74
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Posted the following on f30post.....

I’ve had a test drive in an 335d touring today.

As always, interesting to compare two cars that are similar-ish. However, these cars are very much different indeed once you get behind the wheel. I thought the steering was very much lighter on the 335d which I much prefer however in Comfort it felt vague and almost over-powered and not connected to the road! Handling was surprisingly good (up to a point) with non-adaptive suspension and much better than my old one was from what I recall before I had ACS springs fitted.

Now to the power delivery, which was one of the main reasons I was interested to test the car. Well, ok it does pull well …… but its nowhere near as fast as the M3. Ok hardly a surprise you may say, but I recall my old 335d feeling a quick car with effortless torque, well it is, but after having the M3 for a few months it didn’t feel as quick as I thought it would. There may be a tiny bit of the rev range where it will out-torque the M3 for a couple of seconds but its so small its hardly noticeable. The M3 in comparison is mental quick, when you want it to be.

The 335d is a fantastic car for sure and I highly recommend one, but after owning the M3, that thing really is in another league and had made me realise what car I’ve got. In fact I actually really enjoyed the drive home, gave it some beans and it sure does go mental when you open it up.

As a result I’ll be sticking with my M3 for the time being, but I’m really glad I tried the 335d as its given me a wake up call to realise the car I have and certainly changed my opinion on it. Sometimes you have to try other cars for this reason.

But I’ll say again, the 335d is a great car and it’s a good second best for me, if I didn’t want or need the M3 any more.
Attached Images

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack

Last edited by dopper99; 11-27-2016 at 11:37 AM..
Appreciate 5
derekh929291.50
Karlj172.50
jimmyca69167.00
gatsojon498.00
ajfoggy1517.00
      11-26-2016, 12:38 PM   #75
derekh929
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: AMG C63s Coupe & F56 JCW

Great result know go enjoy that M3
Appreciate 1
dopper993528.00
      11-26-2016, 01:01 PM   #76
Simon H
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

Dopper,
I read your thread with interest, but didnt comment at all. I have a 435D X Drive M Sport, as well as my M4. There is just no comparison in performance matey, as you have discovered for yourself today. You do need to try other cars sometimes, to make you realise just what you have got. I dont drive my M4 much, but when i do, im using all sorts of expletives, usually beginning with F, and chuckling like a chuckling thing.

Having said all that, the 435D is more comfy and wafty than the M4, but we dont really buy them for that, do we ?. Both great BMWs, but for different purposes, regards, Simon.
Appreciate 3
derekh929291.50
dopper993528.00
BMWSKI167.00
      11-26-2016, 01:11 PM   #77
scottc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Mercedes E350 Cpe

Good to hear Andy, I have to admit I have been giving mine the full beans today and feck me it's quick. I had a 340i come flying up behind me and kept pushing me so let him go past and then decided to,have some fun. As we both accelerated off a roundabout and on to a corner he had the head start but once mine came in to the power I almost went up the back of him and had to let go of the throttle.. Quick car the 340i but the m4 was another level..

Think sometime we have to experience other cars or have that moment in a car to fully appreciate it and it sounds like you got that today. Now you can just enjoy and do a few mods
      11-26-2016, 01:29 PM   #78
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
Posted the following on f30post.....

Now to the power delivery, which was one of the main reasons I was interested to test the car. Well, ok it does pull well …… but its nowhere near as fast as the M3. Ok hardly a surprise you may say, but I recall my old 335d feeling a quick car with effortless torque, well it is, but after having the M3 for a few months it didn’t feel as quick as I thought it would. There may be a tiny bit of the rev range where it will out-torque the M3 for a couple of seconds but its so small its hardly noticeable. The M3 in comparison is mental quick, when you want it to be.
I had a sneaky suspicion that this would be the outcome as at the end of the day it's 175hp/tonne vs. 275hp/tonne and that make a difference, no matter how much torque is on offer.

Welcome back!
      11-26-2016, 02:12 PM   #79
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SMB M3 CP with lots of carbon

Hah! Did wonder if that might happen. So want to try an M3 with more torque?
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 1
dopper993528.00
      11-26-2016, 04:55 PM   #80
DazC
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp Pack

Garage List
And all is well in the world again Andy!

I was hoping you'd come to that conclusion after driving the 335d again.

As a former 335d owner myself, there really is little comparison to an M3/4. Different league altogether, just as it should be.

Enjoy your new found love for the M3.
Lotus Emira (on order)
Appreciate 1
dopper993528.00
      11-26-2016, 04:56 PM   #81
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon H View Post
Dopper,
I read your thread with interest, but didnt comment at all. I have a 435D X Drive M Sport, as well as my M4. There is just no comparison in performance matey, as you have discovered for yourself today. You do need to try other cars sometimes, to make you realise just what you have got. I dont drive my M4 much, but when i do, im using all sorts of expletives, usually beginning with F, and chuckling like a chuckling thing.

Having said all that, the 435D is more comfy and wafty than the M4, but we dont really buy them for that, do we ?. Both great BMWs, but for different purposes, regards, Simon.
Absolute agree Simon. Without disrespecting 35d owners or their car, that 335d felt like the M3's poor relation. That's how good the M3 is. And I'll admit I was deluded to think it would be better than an M3 in any way (apart from fuel consumption, but that's about it). It's a great car for sure, dependable, steady with reasonable performance ...... but boring to drive in comparison. Two very different cars of course, but the M3 wins every time for the fun factor. There isn't a lot of fun to be had with a 335d unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottc View Post
Good to hear Andy, I have to admit I have been giving mine the full beans today and feck me it's quick. I had a 340i come flying up behind me and kept pushing me so let him go past and then decided to,have some fun. As we both accelerated off a roundabout and on to a corner he had the head start but once mine came in to the power I almost went up the back of him and had to let go of the throttle.. Quick car the 340i but the m4 was another level..

Think sometime we have to experience other cars or have that moment in a car to fully appreciate it and it sounds like you got that today. Now you can just enjoy and do a few mods
Sounds an interesting dual Scott, very rare to see a 340i.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
I had a sneaky suspicion that this would be the outcome as at the end of the day it's 175hp/tonne vs. 275hp/tonne and that make a difference, no matter how much torque is on offer.

Welcome back!
Cheers wills. It's like I've had a reboot on how I feel about the M3. Was really glad I tried that 335d today and it's sure as hell made me realise what I've got. Mine ain't going anywhere any time soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsussex View Post
Hah! Did wonder if that might happen. So want to try an M3 with more torque?
Don't tempt me!!!!
Funnily enough a remap went through my mind when I was driving mine home, but the missus would disown me! although I didn't think that because I drove the 335d. It actually thought it felt quite "slow", being used to the M3. As I say maybe a tad more torque in places, but its sure as hell not worth swapping cars for. That would be madness.

Was very interested in what the missus had to say while we were on our 2.5 hour test drive. I was expecting comments like "this is a better car" as its not so raw but she just said it was a better all rounder but didn't impress her enough to give up the M3. She prefers the M3 seats which I agree with, they are more supportive than the standard M Sport seats. Although she did comment that "it was no 5 series" as she did really like the 530d we had while the car was off the road with the diff issue.

Also I moaned about the M3 seats.... but they are not that bad once you get used to them, which I think I have now.
Tonight I have an aching lower back from those bloody awful M Sport seats .... I never did like those seats ....

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 1
Wills28647.00
      11-26-2016, 05:03 PM   #82
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazC View Post
And all is well in the world again Andy!

I was hoping you'd come to that conclusion after driving the 335d again.

As a former 335d owner myself, there really is little comparison to an M3/4. Different league altogether, just as it should be.

Enjoy your new found love for the M3.
Cheers Daz, for the first time in weeks, I'm starting the love the car again.

I'd be hard pushed to want to go back to a normal 3 Series, I'll be honest. I think the only reason would be if my mileage went up. But at 8k miles a year, the M3 is fine to run.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 1
DazC904.00
      11-27-2016, 02:18 AM   #83
Simon H
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

Dooper,
Have you driven an F10 M5 ?. I think you would love this car, something else to try ?. If you both liked the 530, you will love the M5. The comfort and performance ratio, is perhaps the best there is. The M multifunctional seats are the best seats you will ever sit in, bar none, so make sure a test drive is in a car with these fitted . I look back at my M5, as something I should have kept hold of, but I am a few years older now, with rose tinted glasses etc, but if you get the chance, have a try of the M5.
Appreciate 1
dopper993528.00
      11-27-2016, 09:21 AM   #84
gatsojon
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP SSII/SS

Garage List
2017 BMW M4 CP  [10.00]
This has been a great post Andy. Thank you for being honest enough to share those doubts with us and thank you for the concluding what you did
derekh929291.50
      11-27-2016, 09:21 AM   #85
SO17
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 MY M4CP

Test drive an Alpina D4 BiTurbo. I had one for 12 months. Absolutely brilliant. Not quite as sharp in the steering department as an M4/M4 but considering it has a large diesel up front it's surprisingly good. The only thing that lets it down is the Dakota leather. If I'd spec'd mine with with Merino leather + leather dash I'd still have it. I thought of getting another with the Merino leather but ultimately went with an M4 because I wanted to try one (and it was cheaper at the time). Come swap time however and I could see myself back in a D4.
Appreciate 1
dopper993528.00
      11-28-2016, 03:17 PM   #86
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

I think the D4 Alpina is a good shout IF you want a diesel but the only problem is the price of the thing once you've specced it up to a decent M4 standard, having Dakota leather as standard is an extreme piss take if you ask me, the D4 ends up around 6k more after discount is taken into account.

And you're still 100hp down on a CP, but I understand why people would want one, I think.
      11-28-2016, 03:36 PM   #87
ajfoggy
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: C63s - S205 - Brilliant Blue

About time you saw sense!!! Now rag the shit out of it

Mine has been kept in...... they mentioned diff and axle......
Appreciate 1
dopper993528.00
      11-28-2016, 04:10 PM   #88
scottc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Mercedes E350 Cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajfoggy View Post
About time you saw sense!!! Now rag the shit out of it

Mine has been kept in...... they mentioned diff and axle......
Well I had the suspension changed and it's better but still not 100%.

Still got the rattles and the creaks