EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

12-11-2021, 12:02 AM   #1
HTDG
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 Comp Avus Blue

Need opinions on filling license plate bracket holes in addition to minor body work

Unfortunately, I have to turn in my car for some light body work. A trailer hitch kissed my bumper. I wanted to get opinions on requesting to fill and paint the license plate bracket holes.

The bumper has dealer installed PPF which I believe are the ridges seen in the attached photo. It appears it will likely require paint. Of course this is not enough damage to warrant a full bumper cover replacement.

My plan is to have at least the trailer hitch damage repaired and re-PPF once the paint has cured.

I have two options I believe:
1 - Have them only repair the paint damage in the red box and have them reinstall the license plate bracket to manage the amount of risk in paint matching of body work. Then PPF under the bracket and live with this mounting of the front license plate.

2 - Since they are already painting the area, have them fill the license plate bracket holes, along with fixing the bumper damage, and paint/match a larger portion of the bumper. Then PPF with no bracket on the front bumper.

I am working with an auto body shop that gets pretty good reviews but I am worried about paint matching the individual Avus Blue color and/or making the situation worse.

Do you think filling in the license plate bracket holes seems like a good idea since the area will be resprayed anyways? Or should I just have them focus on the highlighted damage and avoid the risk of making things worse?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-28-2021, 03:32 PM   #2
2sporty
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: bmw

I don't understand how they will be able to paint match and repair just that one spot without having to respray the entire front bumper. It simply won't look like new if they try this.

Another thing to note is that the factory OEM paint baking process is, by far, going to be superior to any autobody spraying. It is much more rock chip resistant. The only thing that can help in the case of a non OEM spray will be PPF.
Appreciate 1
HTDG0.00
      12-30-2021, 06:58 PM   #3
HTDG
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 Comp Avus Blue

Thanks, makes sense.

I went ahead and got a quote from another body shop and will just replace the whole bumper. Sucks that I won't be able to keep OEM paint but will ask them to do extra prep and best possible bake.

I will have another shop do PPF after the paint cures and then re ceramic coat the car. Hopefully everything turns out alright.
Appreciate 0