proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

05-01-2016, 12:55 PM   #1
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 Manual AW F80

Arrow What polish and what color pad to use? Experts, please help!

This will be my first time doing any kind of polishing. Looking to get swirls off my black Acura TL along with some holograms. I really don't have the time (toddlers) to do a multiple step process so looking to just get away with a one step process for cutting and polishing. I have finalized the orbital buffer but am conflicted on the pad and compound so need some help there.

1. VSS Scratch and Swirl Remover or V36 or HD Speed?

2. Orange pad or White pad?

Some folks say that the orange will leave hazing and white should be used. My concern is if white may be too light for getting swirls out and I will need to repeat the process with orange?

Thanks.

My Amazing European Delivery Story
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2016, 07:08 PM   #2
EALm4
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SO 16' M4

Kind of hard to say without seeing a pic. I'm not too familiar with those polishes but the orange cutting pad is the way to go and I dont think it'll haze depending on the speed and pressure you're applying.

Test it on a 2x2 section of the car and see what happens.
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2016, 08:14 PM   #3
LAMF
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X4MC

Garage List
2020 X4MC  [0.00]
What kind of polisher do you have and a great one step polish is Sonax Perfect Finish.
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2016, 08:16 PM   #4
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMF View Post
What kind of polisher do you have and a great one step polish is Sonax Perfect Finish.
I am probably going to buy the Torq10Fx for starters. Is the sonax similar to he ones I listed above.....cut and then finish as polish?

Thanks.

Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 10:16 AM   #5
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

Unless you're set on Chemical Guys, I've always liked Menzerna products. They changed their naming around, so I'm not sure which product is the equivalent to their one-step, but I'm guessing the 2500 or the 3-in-1? I think the orange pad will be fine.

But GL with the black car...
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2016, 05:02 PM   #6
LAMF
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 X4MC  [0.00]
I have never used Chemical guys but IMO Sonax and Menzerna are the best two on the market. Sonax Perfect finish is a one step with good cutting and finishing capabilities. I would start with a white pad and do a test spot.
Good luck and let us know how you make out.
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2016, 01:06 PM   #7
MarineOh3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 / 2016 F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketBoots
Unless you're set on Chemical Guys, I've always liked Menzerna products. They changed their naming around, so I'm not sure which product is the equivalent to their one-step, but I'm guessing the 2500 or the 3-in-1? I think the orange pad will be fine.

But GL with the black car...
+1 for Menzerna polishes... and then apply Powerlock once you get paint cleaned up. Especially on black. It just glows.
      05-03-2016, 02:11 PM   #8
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMF View Post
I have never used Chemical guys but IMO Sonax and Menzerna are the best two on the market. Sonax Perfect finish is a one step with good cutting and finishing capabilities. I would start with a white pad and do a test spot.
Good luck and let us know how you make out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineOh3 View Post
+1 for Menzerna polishes... and then apply Powerlock once you get paint cleaned up. Especially on black. It just glows.
I looked at their one step polishes and it's a little confusing which number to go with. I have on my Acura TL what I would call swirl marks from a bad detailing job and a few holograms. I will likely go with the orange pad but very confused on the polish that I should be using. I am only looking for a one step polish. Can you guys recommend what Menzerna Polish I should use for a one step process? Menzerna 3-in-1?

Thanks a lot.

Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 06:19 PM   #9
LAMF
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 X4MC  [0.00]
It's hard to recommend a polish from Menzerna being they are made to work in conjunction with each other. They have cutting and finishing rated on a scale. Maybe you should check the place where your planning on purchasing the products and ask them for their scale of cutting and finishing polishes and you can decide from there. It looks like 2500 may be what you'd want. It has a cut of 5 and a finish of 7.
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2016, 07:44 PM   #10
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

Wolfgang total swirl remover 3.0 is an excellent single stage polish that will remove swirls at a decent clip and yet still provide a very good finish.

What you need to know is that with a single step polish, two things will happen:

1. You will remove many, but not all, swirls in one very thorough round.
2. The polish itself will "fill in" some swirls that will dissapear during the job, and re-appear down the round. The point is, this will hide some remaining swirls during the polishing job when you start with heavy holograms and try to remove everything with a near-finishing polish.
Appreciate 1